Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXXI: The Trotzification

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Responding here not to go off-topic.
In the KHL? I thought he still had an NHL contract or did his ELC run out his last year with them? It was more just the thought of being able to bring in another top 6er on the cheap, we have quite a few people that he'd be friendly with I do believe.

And who? Only Tikhonov I can find is a prospect for Pheonix.

Radulov's ELC ran out when he came over for the postseason.

Tikhonov is indeed a Coyotes property, but when his contract in the KHL expires next spring he will be 27-years-old, meaning he's old enough to be an unrestricted free agent like Leo Komarov this summer.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Responding here not to go off-topic.

Radulov's ELC ran out when he came over for the postseason.

Tikhonov is indeed a Coyotes property, but when his contract in the KHL expires next spring he will be 27-years-old, meaning he's old enough to be an unrestricted free agent like Leo Komarov this summer.

Ahh, I thought he was a Preds prospect that Trotz had been sweet on. Do you think he gets any offers? From a quick once over of his profile, it seems he misses a lot of games but puts up goals in the games he's in. Like a super Semin light but without the potential defensive ability?

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Ahh, I thought he was a Preds prospect that Trotz had been sweet on. Do you think he gets any offers? From a quick once over of his profile, it seems he misses a lot of games but puts up goals in the games he's in. Like a super Semin light but without the potential defensive ability?

Well yeah, he misses about 5-10 games per year (2 last season).

He's developed defensively after a forced switch to center. Both SKA and Team Russia had a glaring need at C and Tikhonov actually fit in nicely. I wouldn't call him a defensive liability. If Caps go into 15-16 season with Backstrom/Grabovski/Tikhonov at C I'll be very content with it. That's a very fast group and you need to play fast. Also, both Grabovski and Tikhonov are competent at wing.

Don't forget Tikhonov grew up in America and speaks great English. His wife is Russian American, too.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
do you suppose that trotz is going to have greater input into player personel than in the past?

Watching the interview with him and Mac yesterday it seemed as though they had a very good relationship. Mac is a first time gm and Trotz a 15 year coach I think they will work together very well. The three main changes we will see will probably be adding a stud center and a stud defenseman. Trotz likes defense and centers that can act as a third defenseman in the zone. I think Mac will supply him with those. Look for Holtby to have a huge year too

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Watching the interview with him and Mac yesterday it seemed as though they had a very good relationship. Mac is a first time gm and Trotz a 15 year coach I think they will work together very well. The three main changes we will see will probably be adding a stud center and a stud defenseman. Trotz likes defense and centers that can act as a third defenseman in the zone. I think Mac will supply him with those. Look for Holtby to have a huge year too

yeh because its really easy to pick up a stud Dman and center

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Gotta think, given Trotz's increased affinity for puck possession and his distaste for giveaways, that there's a good chance Marcus Johansson doesn't make it to training camp.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

So we will be like the mid to late 90s era Caps.

We will have 1 scorer. roll 4 lines. Be a vet filled team in no time. and try to lull other teams to sleep.

Trotz has a poor track record with developing young players. He doesn't like them. What does that suggest for guys like Wilson, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Barber, Bowey, etc?

I did like his words RE: adaptability in the WaPost article. But I'll have to see it to believe it.

I expect:

1. Carlzner to play 30 minutes a game or close to it.

2. Offensive production to go down.

3. Better team D.

4. Young players not developing and relegated to 4th line duties forever.

5. Not getting past the 2nd round of the playoffs for the forseeable future thru Ovie's prime.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
So with the confirmation of Trotz as HC, does David Legwand become a possible FA target.

Third line: Chimera - Legwand - Ward

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
So with the confirmation of Trotz as HC, does David Legwand become a possible FA target.

Third line: Chimera - Legwand - Ward
Possible but unlikely unless Grabovski moves on or they manage to trade Laich or something.

The Nashville Connection among UFA:

C David Legwand
RW Jordin Tootoo (likely buyout)
RD Marek Zidlicky
LD Kimmo Timonen
C Mike Santorelli
C Marcel Goc
C Vernon Fiddler
D Scott Hannan
C Adam Hall
LW Ryan Jones
LD Francis Bouillon

x3 on MaJo.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Gotta think, given Trotz's increased affinity for puck possession and his distaste for giveaways, that there's a good chance Marcus Johansson doesn't make it to training camp.

MOJO joining the ranks of Flash, Steckel, Schultz, Sloan, Wideman and Neuvirth. :handclap:

If MacLellan does but only one thing this summer and sends butter boy out, I will be satisfied.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Let me salmon and say there is no way they move MJ - our only homegrown candidate that can play C. Dealt because stats fail to spell out that the previous regimes foolishly sent him out to battle on the boards. If a player is not used to his strengths, does he suck? Of course not.

If we ink Grabo long term, maybe MJ is dealt.

Kuz may be moved to center, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, we are talking Laich and Fehr as our 2Cs. MP, gone. The Hershey hen house aka da pipe has no Cs to me.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
What's a realistic lineup for next season?

Ovechkin (at LW!!!!) - Backstrom - Fehr(???)
Laich - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Chimera-Latta-Ward
Beagle-Brown-Wilson

Alzner-Green
Orlov-Carlson
Schmidt-???

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wonder if Trotz thinks himself that he can make Green the kind of player he used to be few years back, or if he's already seen enough of his lazy attitude to tell BMac to put him into trade block.

x5 on MoJo.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
What's a realistic lineup for next season?

Ovechkin (at LW!!!!) - Backstrom - Fehr(???)
Laich - Kuznetsov - Brouwer
Chimera-Latta-Ward
Beagle-Brown-Wilson

Alzner-Green
Orlov-Carlson
Schmidt-???

Let's hope we can't really project it due to significant incoming changes.

Come on Grape Ape, address the defense in the next 45 days or so. I promise, I'll remove the bag from my avatar if you do.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Let me salmon and say there is no way they move MJ - our only homegrown candidate that can play C. Dealt because stats fail to spell out that the previous regimes foolishly sent him out to battle on the boards. If a player is not used to his strengths, does he suck? Of course not.

If we ink Grabo long term, maybe MJ is dealt.

Kuz may be moved to center, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, we are talking Laich and Fehr as our 2Cs. MP, gone. The Hershey hen house aka da pipe has no Cs to me.

Can't get enough of dem drop passes?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can't get enough of dem drop passes?

:laugh:

What would you do with the puck if your coach asked you to skate into what you figured was like a brick wall?

He is ahead of the play when using his speed. Sure his drop passes sucked, but our offense has been so disorganized for the past 4 seasons, his failed drop passes were just a infinitesimal part of the colossal collapse of our ES offense since Montreal.

Chimera MJ Ward. Problem solved.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Yeah, I agree with RH on Mojo. He shouldn't be moved yet, I'd like to see him back at Center. He's still a young player with potential.

Unless of course, he could be part of a package to land a solid piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->