Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I know I know we all see Brouwer Lucic as Wilson's upside, but forced to guess today I would say he is going to end up a bottom 6 guy, judging him on what I saw from him on 4 in his 7TOI.

I love Wilson's game but he has a long way to go to bust into a top 6 spot.

I don't want any prospect untouchable right now.

Rebuild mode, sure, Wilson Burakovsky Orlov Kuz, all untouchable. We are far from that, we need a retool and run for a cup.

I feel like the future is now, that the window to land a cup with Ovi is closing. I want the new GM to have that same vision. Lets maximize Ovi while we can, focus on the short term more than long term, today.

If some Feaster wants to overpay for a player in a position of depth and give us horses we need, so be it. I don't want a GM with an eye for the cup in 2020.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You're seriously going to be that disingenuous? You had to cut an entire clause in half to make it look like that. You can respond to what I actually said if you want, or you can pretend I said something I didn't so you can misdirect instead.

Put in context, it's not much better. You're out to lunch about this player. He's nowhere near a generational talent, "in the area of being a physical beast" or otherwise. There are multiple players with his size and athleticism drafted each year. The fact that people view him as the next Lucic is proof in the pudding that he's not a unique or generational talent. More to the point, so do players like Jimmy Hayes, Bryan Bickell, Mike Rupp, Johan Franzen, Ryan Malone, Dwight King, Joe Colborne, Zack Kassian, Taylor Pyatt, Eric Tangradi, and Jesse Joensuu. Big, heavy wingers with power forward upside who produced at lower levels aren't nearly as rare as you're making them out to be. Some, like Lucic and Franzen, pan out. Most end up as bottom six players or AHL tweeners. Are they a nice player to have? Sure. Is it franchise crippling to give them away? Absolutely not.

It's not just that his value is high currently. It's that this team has significant holes in its roster, his value is entirely in his potential, and that he's playing a position that the team is currently very deep at. We already have a physically dominating, generational talent, power forward winger (as well as quite a few other big bodied wingers capable of filling lesser roles). If his potential can be converted into concrete talent at a position of greater need, I'd absolutely do it. Heck, if we can pull of a Kassian-Hodgson type trade, do that as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
???

WE DON"T HAVE A GM.

Anyone have a link where our future GM says Wilson is untouchable? I will even settle for a jpg of a crystal ball.

I do think its comical that people try to defend their stance by repeating something implying it as fact when everyone knows it's a simple guess. It's like watching faux news. If you keep parroting the same thing over and over people eventually believe it to be true, true or not.

my point is simple. it is VERY unlikely that Wilson gets traded. You seem to want battle over that. Do you disagree?

Last edited:

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Note though that it is pretty much mandatory to have young players contributing on cheap (read: ELC or RFA bridge deals) contracts to be an upper echelon team in the salary cap era.

Liberati0n*

Put in context, it's not much better. You're out to lunch about this player. He's nowhere near a generational talent, "in the area of being a physical beast" or otherwise. There are multiple players with his size and athleticism drafted each year.

"Generational talent" is the wrong word, alright, but I genuinely believe he's a very rare player regardless of his scoring upside. He's mobile and he's built like and plays like a runaway train. I don't think any of the players you listed (for another purpose) are consistent with what he is. It's not just the size and athleticism. It's his attitude, his leadership, everything. He's not just another big body..."generational talent" implies the wrong thing, but the point is that he's a physical monster to an exceptional extent.

He's totally accepting my friend request now, *****. ...or getting a restraining order.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
No, I'm too busy to waste any more time on trivial stuff. Thought that was clear in my response.

The only thing clear from your response is you don't have anything to counter my assertion, and therefore make it seem to unimportant for you while still arguing the point.

You could click through the top-100 or so points leaders on NHL.com in probably 20 minutes.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
???

WE DON"T HAVE A GM.

Anyone have a link where our future GM says Wilson is untouchable? I will even settle for a jpg of a crystal ball.

I do think its comical that people try to defend their stance by repeating something implying it as fact when everyone knows it's a simple guess. It's like watching faux news. If you keep parroting the same thing over and over people eventually believe it to be true, true or not.

Maybe Wilson turns into Lucic. Maybe he turns into Isbister. Maybe he's Matt Martin? Maybe he's Cam Neely? Fact is we don't know just yet but he has upside for sure and definitely top 6 upside.

I can't forsee a legitimate GM coming in here and immediately start trading top prospects without ever having seen them get a legit chance at the NHL level.

I think we need to evaluate our roster under a sane coach with a sensible system.

Oates had an agenda and was engaged in a power struggle with the GM while spreading his madness.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
"Generational talent" is the wrong word, alright, but I genuinely believe he's a very rare player regardless of his scoring upside. He's mobile and he's built like and plays like a runaway train. I don't think any of the players you listed (for another purpose) are consistent with what he is. It's not just the size and athleticism. It's his attitude, his leadership, everything. He's not just another big body..."generational talent" implies the wrong thing, but the point is that he's a physical monster to an exceptional extent.

Aside of possibly the ever ephemeral "leadership" quality, you really don't see Zack Kassian and Tom Wilson as comparable players? Short of the Sedin twins, I think the two are about as comparable as you can get.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
my point is simple. it is VERY unlikely that Wilson gets traded. You seem to want battle over that. Do you disagree?

Of course its unlikely. Since when have we traded our top prospects. But building from within seems to have peaked in this current rebuild.

It's nice to see untouchable / absolutes not a part of your post.

Make no mistake, I do not want Wilson traded but if Philly calls offering up a kings ransom for him, I do not think our next GM would consider him above discussions.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Of course its unlikely. Since when have we traded our top prospects. But building from within seems to have peaked in this current rebuild.

It's nice to see untouchable / absolutes not a part of your post.

Make no mistake, I do not want Wilson traded but if Philly calls offering up a kings ransom for him, I do not think our next GM would consider him above discussions.

Teams dont tend to call and offer kings ransom overpayments. There are no absolutes. There are essential absolutes though. Barring craziness wilson is essentially un....

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Should try to pick up one of Eriksson/Marchand and McQuaid from the Bruins. They need to get rid of some cap space. McQuaid would fit nicely on the 3rd pair with Orlov and one of the wingers would be a solid addition to the top 6.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Should try to pick up one of Eriksson/Marchand and McQuaid from the Bruins. They need to get rid of some cap space. McQuaid would fit nicely on the 3rd pair with Orlov and one of the wingers would be a solid addition to the top 6.

We have a logjam of bottom-pairing D. One of Pat Wey, Connor Carrick, Tomas Kundratek or Nate Schmidt can play there no problem.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

The cap is going up. I don't believe there are any teams that MUST get rid of players and if they do so they won't be getting rid of key players or ones they want.

Besides before figuring out who we want to get its looking more and more like it will depend on the new GM and the direction he wants to go. Rebuild? Retool? Go for it all? Play hunterhockey? Run n gun? Oates style nebulous system?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have a feeling Boston will not let Quaid slip away

total-recall-original-1024x550.jpg

If they do, their fans will all have a schizoid embellism

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We have a logjam of bottom-pairing D. One of Pat Wey, Connor Carrick, Tomas Kundratek or Nate Schmidt can play there no problem.

None of them were good enough for that role this season, and that is one of the reasons this team missed the playoffs.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
The cap is going up. I don't believe there are any teams that MUST get rid of players and if they do so they won't be getting rid of key players or ones they want.

Besides before figuring out who we want to get its looking more and more like it will depend on the new GM and the direction he wants to go. Rebuild? Retool? Go for it all? Play hunterhockey? Run n gun? Oates style nebulous system?

Boston deferred 4.2M from Iginla's contract to next year by paying him in bonuses. They've also got to resign Smith, Krug, and Bartkowski, plus Iginla if they want to bring him back. They won't have a lot of room to work with.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
None of them were good enough for that role this season, and that is one of the reasons this team missed the playoffs.

A bottom pair of Schmidt-Oleksy was a braindead choice that would have greatly outperformed erskine-carrick. They just wouldn't do it. The corisi's and fenwick's for those guys are like 55% vs 42% or something similar.

Dumb GMGM. Dumb Oates.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
That bottom pair was a glaring hole last season WITH those guys.

1. They all will be a year older.
2. Kundratek didn't even play.
3. If we get a legit top-4 D, their pairing mate will be not one of Hillen/Erskine, it will be Orlov. That alone is enough to stop bothering about third pairing.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
1. They all will be a year older.
2. Kundratek didn't even play.
3. If we get a legit top-4 D, their pairing mate will be not one of Hillen/Erskine, it will be Orlov. That alone is enough to stop bothering about third pairing.

Schmidt is the only one of that group I have any hope for. Hope I'm wrong.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Seems like the Sharks want to get younger. There was some conference call Wilson held... Burns is going back to D. Boyle and Havlat aren't being resigned. Looking at their board it seems like they think its a certainty Thornton is on the outs. If so, caps should be all over him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad