Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Here's the context of the quote:

Hopefully, he's just talking about what he's done historically.

It sounds like rationalization for making bad moves and doesn't explain all the years he made no moves or took half-measures. What about all the times he said the team was fine, that he liked the defense, etc? If we knew anything about the game we'd be in it?

I wonder if he had this attitude when the team clearly had no top pairs on defense and was weak up the middle, and all we heard about was how the price for top talent was too steep.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Ok thanks for the insight on Andy. Between him and Hjalmarsson he might be a better target, considering we'd have to give up a major asset to land Hjalmarsson from Chicago. NJ would love a first rounder from us for sure.

I highly doubt Chicago would even consider traidng Hjalmarsson. He's a core piece on a team with two cups. They kept him even after San Jose gave him a generous (at the time) offer sheet. They just extended him for five more years at a very reasonable price. He's relied on for a lot of minutes at even strength, and was playing on their top pairing with Keith a lot last year. I would absolutely love him in Washington, and would pay a lot for him, but it's just not going to happen. The deal would have to be built around Backstrom for Hammer+, and even then I don't know if Chicago would go for such a major change-up to a roster that works.

New Jersey would maaaaaybe consider moving Andy Greene. They've parted with guys like Paul Martin, Johnny Oduya (for Kovalchuk), and Brian Rafalski. But Greene is pretty unquestionably their #1 and still has a year left on his contract at a very affordable rate. The offer would have to be significant, and Greene would likely have to indicate that he wanted to test UFA rather than extend with New Jersey. Either way, I feel it would be more likely during next season, or at least the off-season, than at this year's deadline.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Ryan Kesler availability rumors appearing on the main boards. I'd make just about everyone available on the Caps except for the likes of Ovie/Carlson and Alzner to obtain Kesler. I see him as a cornerstone for a team like the Caps to actually begin assembling a SC competitive team.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Oh, brother.

How about go "all in" when your team is actually a contender?

This week has disaster written all over it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Brouillette recalled. Erskine ought to be among the contracts available to be dished as needed, assuming they can find a taker. I have little hope that this team will change fundamentally over the next week. They need to kick McPhee to the curb and make an actual upgrade for it to happen. I don't even want to guess what sort of in-the-box desperate moves McPhee may have up his sleeve.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Edler and Kesler for a bigger deal around Green, Mojo, Orlov and picks?

Highway robbery for Washington. :laugh:

I would take that and run... even if it meant adding 1st to it.

Also agree with the opinion that this week really does have disaster written all over it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
from what the Vancouver fans say, Edler has sucked wind. He's perfect for the Caps. One whipping boy out and a fresh one coming in.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@LouisJean_TVA: Sources say Ryan Kesler requested a trade some time ago & wants out of Vcr. Told #Canucks don't want to trade him but may not have a choice.

@LouisJean_TVA: May be tough to move Kesler before the deadline. Draft may be more likely. Vancouver would be looking for a hockey trade not picks.

@LouisJean_TVA: NHL exec told me if Kesler becomes available, it could change the entire dynamic of the trade deadline. #Canucks

The hand injury makes it difficult also so probably more of a draft day move. First MSL and now Kesler...some noteworthy players wanting out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I have absolutely zero problem with acquiring Edler, should he actually be available. He's a terrific mobile defenseman. He'd fit the mold of the mobile, possession-oriented defense that Chicago used last year, and that Oates seems to favor. Just because he's labelled a "PMD" or "offensive defenseman" doesn't mean that he couldn't mesh with Carlson or Green. He did pretty darn well next to Karlsson in the Olympics, and is better in his own zone than he's often given credit for.

Would I prefer Hamhuis? Absolutely. But I highly doubt he's available. He turned down more money from Philadelphia and Pittsburgh to go to Vancouver, and has a NTC.

Kesler is intriguing. Not sure what we'd give up that would interest Vancouver without crippling the team. Would also be interesting to see what we'd do with Grabovski then.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Backstrom is who I would want from the Caps if moving Kesler. That's a core shaking move...not advocating it, just throwing it out there for discussion.

Backstrom/Green

for

Kesler/Edler

cap #'s don't quite work, would have to tweak somehow....

Last edited:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I wonder if it's because of Torts, the supposed rebuild, or something else entirely. Even though he's a Buckeye, he'd be a hell of an addition.

Backstrom is who I would want from the Caps if moving Kesler. That's a core shaking move...

Canucks fans maybe, but I figure Gillis is smart enough not to ask for Nick. I imagine it's Carlson he'd target, since he was on Gillis' list when he was looking to trade Hodgson.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
vancouver had interest in brouwer back when we traded for him.

brouwer + johansson

for

kesler + ?

and i thought edler has been terrible, dont want to touch that.

Last edited:

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Adrian Dater @adater
Ryan Kesler has NOT requested a trade, his agent Kurt Overhardt tells me. Says reports saying so are "BS"

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If they can put together a hockey trade for Edler then they can put one together for Kesler (trade demand or not). It would just cost more but it's not like they're bereft of a variety of assets. It's a matter of what's worth moving them for. They're going to have to make hockey trades anyway unless it's a cheap contract like Tom Gilbert. Who knows the extent to which other GMs would look to similarly retool--since it's typically more of an off-season thing--but that should be along the lines of what they're going for. The typical rental scenario (thankfully) doesn't even line up for them.

Burakovsky95*

I'd love a really surprising set of solid trades (2-3) where we acquire an all star and other nice pieces without giving tooooo much up. But, in all likelihood I fully expect George to pick up Joe Corvo again, bring in Shawn Horcoff for no reason and coerce Marco Sturm out of retirement or wherever he is. Because: Capitals.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Would like to start with my impressions after seeing medal round in person.

First about the defense.

Carlson seemed out of place, as I already said probably. Misfit or misused - can't say. Not much icetime, often on PK though. USA had exactly 2 defenders as I thought before the tournament. McD and Suter. They played each 2nd shift literally.

Bylsma didn't use John in offensive role until the game was over. But then he unleashed him but it was too late. Both times =) Carlson-Orpik and whoever else used was a bad pair. No chemistry. I hope it's a good learning experience for JC.

Fowler was okish, much TOI given. Faulk - nothing, Shattenkirk - invisible to me. So they played with Suter and McD and coudn't get any zone possessions other than Kane/Kessel's individual efforts or just dumping. Many "leaders" invisible and ineffective. Kane and Kessel were the best overall by 2 matches. 0 goals though.

Back to defense. I've tried to watch Edler a bit. He was playing 1st pair with Karlsson (instead of OEL). So this is a young offensive and mistake prone player (Green-like if you want). I did not see much problem with Edler. He was solid I think. I do believe he could be solid on small rinks also.

Then Finland. #nonamegoodqualitydefense. Maatta was very good. Hehe. Bad news guys =)

Then Canada. Their D dominated. JayBo was solid and visible, I think even better than AP27. Keith-Weber - no comments. And another pair. Doughty. And I don't even know who played with him. I didn't recognize that D. Absolutely invisible. Probably it was Vlasic. Very good D overall. Price was good also. The rest is history. They just dominated.

So these impressions got me thinking the common problem is coaching. JayBo was called useless and so on. Edler's got his "damaged goods / regressed" status recently also. On the other hand some Ds who are viewed as good didn't play like that obviously.

What else? Good news is Pens got Bylsma. They will lose eventually. Nothing was changed by Dan until the endmatch siren. Very good.

Bad news - we will lose earlier probably, because Oates doesn't seem to be good fit either.

PS: Had a little chat with Shero. Said Letang is better, Vokoun is maybe this season and he said something like he doesn't expect another D, they have enough depth on position. Said he would like a winger but in this market it's very hard to get one. I thought last thing should be interesting for you guys, GMGM should remember this words and reproduce them later =)

Thanks for taking the time to break down what you observed for the defence and the offence. Lucky you to have been there for the medal round. Socchi all looked very good on TV. Russia did a good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad