Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
wouldn't chris pillips be perfect? left shot. defense first. veteran. is over the hill or something?
The thing with Phillips and also Markov is that you're betting on experience and instincts to trump declining mobility.

I doubt Ottawa will be sellers anyhow.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The deft management maneuvers and acquisitions that reverse nearly 40 years of futility will be discussed in THIS THREAD. This thread right here. This is the one.

History will be made.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Going by threads on the main boards, the Sens (or at least their fans) are looking to add a top 4 LHD, same as us. That doesn't speak well for Philips.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
They are just rolling with the George often targets RHD at the deadline Wideman, Kurwa, Jurcina; add that to the trade requests, and you got an E5.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
are you actually counting jurcina? lol

You are actually focusing on Juice?

Ok subtract him. What GM has acquired more PMRHD at the deadline in the past 5 years?

Regardless, why should I ignore him? That was one of George's best trades ever.

I think it was the only one that cost him nothing, good insurance in case of a long cup run. We were jack stacked that year, one of our best chances at a cup ever.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You are actually focusing on Juice?

Ok subtract him. What GM has acquired more PMRHD at the deadline in the past 5 years?

Regardless, why should I ignore him? That was one of George's best trades ever.

I think it was the only one that cost him nothing, good insurance in case of a long cup run. We were jack stacked that year, one of our best chances at a cup ever.

I would not have considered jurcina a puck mover in the first place. an offensive defenseman he was not. yes he could break the glass with his shot on any day, but offense was not something he brought. which on puck movers other than corvo at the deadline are you talking about? wideman. that's two. who am I forgetting?

jurcina was a freebee because he was injuried was not likely to be able to play before the finals.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would not have considered jurcina a puck mover in the first place. an offensive defenseman he was not. yes he could break the glass with his shot on any day, but offense was not something he brought. which on puck movers other than corvo at the deadline are you talking about? wideman. that's two. who am I forgetting?

jurcina was a freebee because he was injuried was not likely to be able to play before the finals.

You are forgetting to answer my question, which GM has targeted more than 2 PMRDs at the deadline in the past 5 years.

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
txpd said:
wouldn't chris pillips be perfect? left shot. defense first. veteran. is over the hill or something?

I'm thinking someone with those same characteristics and a little more mobility than Phillips would be ideal. A defensive minded guy that can play on the second pairing and let Green do his thing offensively should be our target at the deadline. Players like Trevor Daley, Matt Greene, or in a perfect world Hjalmarsson/Oduya.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
I'm thinking someone with those same characteristics and a little more mobility than Phillips would be ideal. A defensive minded guy that can play on the second pairing and let Green do his thing offensively should be our target at the deadline. Players like Trevor Daley, Matt Greene, or in a perfect world Hjalmarsson/Oduya.

what does that mean exactly?

Any player on the ive cant ignore his basic defensive responsibility.....in either case what is preventing from 52 "doing his thing" now? other than being injured, again, what is holding him back from doing his thing? What is "his thing"? He had a stretch where he was a dynamic player with the puck but thats been years now.....he seems to be made of glass, and even more fragile mentally. It sounds like you are saying the system or his partner are holding him back. To me a 6 mil a year payer should be able to do his thing, to some degree. I dont see adding a Oduya or the like turning 52 into a 1st team all-star again. Maybe im wrong

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

I think you mean Andy Greene.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
why is everyone suddenly exited at making a playoff run? im worried it would go down as wasted futures with our tough schedule in march.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Green is doing his thing. He's injured.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Ibn is reporting caps are favorite to land miller. If we give up any top specs or Holtby for him I would be extremely angry. Holtby is cheaper, younger, and honestly probably just as good (yeah he's had a rough few months but I think he can be as good or better than he was the last 2 years) which really makes a trade for miller pointless considering we'd have to give something valuable for him

kmdoom

Sep 19, 2013
alexandria va
what does that mean exactly?

Any player on the ive cant ignore his basic defensive responsibility.....in either case what is preventing from 52 "doing his thing" now? other than being injured, again, what is holding him back from doing his thing? What is "his thing"? He had a stretch where he was a dynamic player with the puck but thats been years now.....he seems to be made of glass, and even more fragile mentally. It sounds like you are saying the system or his partner are holding him back. To me a 6 mil a year payer should be able to do his thing, to some degree. I dont see adding a Oduya or the like turning 52 into a 1st team all-star again. Maybe im wrong

His offensive talent is still there and hasn't waned, stats and the eye test back that up to where his ability isn't a point of contention.

Holding back is a strong way to put something I didn't even imply, but now that you mention it I find it really impressive he's been able to produce the way he has without a proven NHLer on his pairing all year. All I'm saying is his play will improve with a partner who's willing to let him be the catalyst offensively, as opposed to a guy like Orlov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad