Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
O'Reilly and Wolski are good comparison, why would you want another overpaid Laich on this team. Did you ever watch the movie moneyball- stats are a good field of vision compared to personal defensive play. Baseball and hockey may not be the same sports but teams are having success just looking at stats. Maybe you want to make O'Rielly a Dustin Byfulien but that's another conversation.
Did you ever read the book Moneyball?

The whole idea of Moneyball was to use advanced stats to gauge a player's value instead of using traditional stats to find undervalued players in a player market without a salary cap. O'Reilly and Wolski are completely different types of players with a completely different career progression so far.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

The whole idea of Moneyball was to use advanced stats to gauge a player's value instead of using traditional stats to find undervalued players in a player market without a salary cap. O'Reilly and Wolski are completely different types of players with a completely different career progression so far.

Is there a Bill James of hockey?

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON

Still on the O'Reilly factor? :laugh: of course I know that it's advanced stats but a regular hockey fan like you doesn't seem to know these stats, that's why I trust Adam Oates when he says the team has been playing good hockey but had tough breaks. Can you give an example of why O'Reilly isn't the same player as Wolski is as you so mention? My point of view is that O'reilly's advanced stats show him being no better than a player like Fehr or Wolski. If you would pay 4mil to a guy like that, it's a tough break. And you wonder why the Avalanche aren't so interested in him.

Last edited:

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Still on the O'Reilly factor? :laugh: of course I know that it's advanced stats but a regular hockey fan like you doesn't seem to know these stats, that's why I trust Adam Oates when he says the team has been playing good hockey but had tough breaks. Can you give an example of why O'Reilly isn't the same player as Wolski is as you so mention? My point of view is that O'reilly's advanced stats show him being no better than a player like Fehr or Wolski. If you would pay 4mil to a guy like that, it's a tough break. And you wonder why the Avalanche aren't so interested in him.
What advanced stats? You have provided absolutely nothing remotely relevant.

O'Reilly is a center with a good work ethic that is physically-capable of playing and producing in all situations. Wolski is a soft winger that's useless outside of a purely offensive role. It's so obviously that even you should be able to figure it out from NHL 13 alone.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON

O'Reilly is a center with a good work ethic that is physically-capable of playing and producing in all situations. Wolski is a soft winger that's useless outside of a purely offensive role. It's so obviously that even you should be able to figure it out from NHL 13 alone.

I'm asking for your evidence of "advanced stats" first LOL
Your profile pic says it all troll.
How many times do you need use the "nhl 13" enigma and get tired of it?

Last edited:

Liberati0n*

Seriously, everyone knows O'Reilly's a GRN and Wolski's a SNP.

Or whatever

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
I'm asking for your evidence of "advanced stats" first LOL
Your profile pic says it all troll.
How many times do you need use the "nhl 13" enigma and get tired of it?
You brought Moneyball into it. So feel free to provide actual relevant advanced stats anytime.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Last edited:

Liberati0n*

Ryan O'Reilly (2011-12): 81GP 18G 37A 55P TOI/g: 19:31

Wojtek Wolski (2007-08): 77GP 18G 30A 47P TOI/g: 15:55

Dude, I know he said advanced stats but come on. Start with something a little less esoteric than "TOI/g," whatever that is.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
Started playing GM connected, but had to jump in middle of the season. Picked Washington of course and started looking at recent transactions.
First one was.

Washington:
Roberto Luongo
Malhotra
Hansen

Vancouver:
Nicklas Bäckström
1st round pick

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Ryan O'Reilly (2011-12): 81GP 18G 37A 55P TOI/g: 19:31

Wojtek Wolski (2007-08): 77GP 18G 30A 47P TOI/g: 15:55

figure it out.

An NHL team that actually uses moneyball approach are the preds.

Good article here: http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2011/9/22/2439902/moneyball-the-nashville-predators
Points over total icetime is not an accurate predictor of anything useful. Even the ESP/60 the staturbators fap over alone doesn't predict much.

Here is the only part in that whole article that had anything to do with advanced stats:

When I ran a list of free agent forwards who could help boost Nashville's attack, two of the top 6 candidates were Niclas Bergfors and Kyle Wilson, and sure enough, they both ended up signing with the Predators for less than $600,000 each per season.

At those prices, there is little downside risk if the signings don't work out, but the potential upside is large. Both Bergfors and Wilson racked up points at a considerable pace last season (in 5-on-5 they would have ranked 7th & 8th among Pred forwards with more than 30 GP), and Bergfors in particular seems like a guy who fell victim to a criminally cold shooting stretch during his time in Florida, and is likely to score goals more consistently going forward.
Bergfors and Wilson played a combined total of 16 games for the Preds, and neither are playing with the Preds or in the NHL as of today. Thanks for proving my point.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
Points over total icetime is not an accurate predictor of anything useful. Even the ESP/60 the staturbators fap over alone doesn't predict much.

Here is the only part in that whole article that had anything to do with advanced stats:

Bergfors and Wilson played a combined total of 16 games for the Preds, and neither are playing with the Preds or in the NHL as of today. Thanks for proving my point.

My point is that O'Reilly wouldn't be a benefactor in this team and you proved my point there, lol. Strategy #3 - Acquiring castoffs to fit specific roles. Does an O'Rielly fit in this team with backstrom, Ribeiro, Beagle, Perreault and an overpayed Laich? That's 6 centers, your "advanced stats" in baseball means nothing in hockey when players have to fit in specific roles.

Halpysback*

My point is that O'Reilly wouldn't be a benefactor in this team and you proved my point there, lol. Strategy #3 - Acquiring castoffs to fit specific roles. Does an O'Rielly fit in this team with backstrom, Ribeiro, Beagle, Perreault and an overpayed Laich? That's 6 centers, your "advanced stats" in baseball means nothing in hockey when players have to fit in specific roles.

Because having too many two-way centers is really hurting the Kings, Sharks, Bruins and Devils.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
The only thing worse is depending on traditional stats to compare players.

Other than you using NHL 13 ratings to compare players, of course.

What are you using home runs per inning? I still don't get your idea to use "advanced statistics" from baseball and bring it to hockey. Traditional stats in hockey tell a different tale. Gretzky and Lemieux weren't great players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad