Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
We don't have our 2nd round pick*, and thus cannot extend Saad an offer sheet where that 2nd round pick would be used as part of the compensation. Unless the offer sheet compensation brackets have moved up by more than $0.5M since last year, $5.5M puts Saad in the 1st+2nd+3rd compensation range.

*That Glencross trade is awesome, isn't it? :facepalm:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty sure the compensation would be next year's picks (2016) so they'd be good. $5.5M does fall under the 1st+2nd+3rd bracket this summer.

Not that it'll happen.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Hawks fans all over Patrick Sharp during Game 1 -- not good.
I don't think he's been bad...he's been physical (for him) and simply getting the puck to the net when they were struggling to. Decent net presence causing havoc knocking Hedman over just prior the second goal.

Sir Jonathan hasn't been very noticeable.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
We don't have our 2nd round pick*, and thus cannot extend Saad an offer sheet where that 2nd round pick would be used as part of the compensation. Unless the offer sheet compensation brackets have moved up by more than $0.5M since last year, $5.5M puts Saad in the 1st+2nd+3rd compensation range.

*That Glencross trade is awesome, isn't it? :facepalm:

Incorrect.. The trade was 2015 draft picks, free agency isn't until after the draft.

But oh God... No 2nd or 3rd rounder this year.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Canucks fan coming in peace. I was bored and reading other teams' boards, and I noticed something about how a bunch of people felt about Radim Vrbata.

Let me start off by saying that I don't care if the Canucks keep him or move him for futures, I'm happy with either. If Caps fans don't want to move a valuable future/young asset for a soon to be 34 year old, I understand.

There's seems to be some notion that Vrbata is bad/non-effective in the playoffs. There has been one year he wasn't good in the playoffs (excluding his rookie year), in 2011-12 where he had 5 points in 16 games and was the 8th highest scoring forward on his team. Every other year he has either been tied for 1st in scoring (10-11 and 14-15) or top 3 (09-10) among forwards on his team.
This past playoffs with the Canucks he put up 2 goals, 2 assists in 6 games (same point per game total as Washington's highest scorers) while playing mostly with Nick Bonino and Chris Higgins (and averaged about the same number of shots as he did in the regular season). He spent less than 13% of his even strength ice time with the Sedins (because our coach thought it was a good idea...). He was far from bad, he was the driving force on his line (not surprising considering his linemates).

Vrbata isn't a superstar winger, but he'll still put up good numbers with mediocre linemates. And while he'll be 34 soon, I can see him putting up 50+ points in three more seasons just because of his style of play. The Canucks lacked a scoring threat for a few years and Vrbata's presence was noticed right away this season, especially on the powerplay. He's been on pace for 60+ points in three of the last four seasons (one year being the lockout year, hence being on pace). The other year he put up 51 points. Two of those 60+ point seasons were on a team not known for their offense, Arizona. He could just be one of those late bloomers.

Last edited:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Chicago is a class of the league. Go to them and ask for the player. Don't cheap shot them with such offer sheet.

I wouldn't want another team to offer sheet Holts or Kuzy too.

That's why you need to sign your RFA before OS could be done.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Offer sheet Saad at $5.5 Chicago won't have the cap space to match it, and there is 8 and 19's wing for five years

They can easily move few pieces to be able to match that. 7M AAV would propably atleast make them consider because it's getting to that huge overpayment territory.

Then again if you do that then you are asking for trouble with RFA Holtby and Kuznetsov.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Canucks fan coming in peace. I was bored and reading other teams' boards, and I noticed something about how a bunch of people felt about Radim Vrbata.

Let me start off by saying that I don't care if the Canucks keep him or move him for futures, I'm happy with either. If Caps fans don't want to move a valuable future/young asset for a soon to be 34 year old, I understand.

There's seems to be some notion that Vrbata is bad/non-effective in the playoffs. There has been one year he wasn't good in the playoffs (excluding his rookie year), in 2011-12 where he had 5 points in 16 games and was the 8th highest scoring forward on his team. Every other year he has either been tied for 1st in scoring (10-11 and 14-15) or top 3 (09-10) among forwards on his team.
This past playoffs with the Canucks he put up 2 goals, 2 assists in 6 games (same point per game total as Washington's highest scorers) while playing mostly with Nick Bonino and Chris Higgins (and averaged about the same number of shots as he did in the regular season). He spent less than 13% of his even strength ice time with the Sedins (because our coach thought it was a good idea...). He was far from bad, he was the driving force on his line (not surprising considering his linemates).

Vrbata isn't a superstar winger, but he'll still put up good numbers with mediocre linemates. And while he'll be 34 soon, I can see him putting up 50+ points in three more seasons just because of his style of play. The Canucks lacked a scoring threat for a few years and Vrbata's presence was noticed right away this season, especially on the powerplay. He's been on pace for 60+ points in three of the last four seasons (one year being the lockout year, hence being on pace). The other year he put up 51 points. Two of those 60+ point seasons were on a team not known for their offense, Arizona. He could just be one of those late bloomers.

I think the biggest concern most of us have is giving up quality assets for a guy who may not be here for long. I myself would prefer a guy who we can add to the core of the team. I'd take him as a rental for draft picks and marginal prospects, that's about it.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Chicago is a class of the league. Go to them and ask for the player. Don't cheap shot them with such offer sheet.

I wouldn't want another team to offer sheet Holts or Kuzy too.

That's why you need to sign your RFA before OS could be done.

What the heck does them being the class of the league mean for anything? If Washington doesn't do it you know someone else will. You want a top forward, look around there aren't many available. If someone goes after holtby oh well id hate that but caps should have locked him up before July 1

And trust me. If holtby isnt locked up by july 1, there will be a lot of teams offering holtby

Apr 6, 2004
alex_prewitt: Capitals announce that Eric Fehr underwent "successful surgery on his elbow" on Wednesday.

alex_prewitt: According to a release, "if rehabilitation goes well, Eric will be healthy for the start of the 2015-16 regular season."

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Offer sheets are rare because of the compensation involved. Not only do you have to overpay in dollars to avoid the original team matching, but the more you pay the more you have to give up in terms of draft picks. Offer sheets have the downsides both of UFA (overpayment) and trades (assets lost). It's pretty much impossible to get a bargain via offer sheets.

They're also rare simply because there are ways around them. RFAs that go to either team-elected or player-elected arbitration aren't eligible to be offer sheeted. RFAs signed early avoid offer sheets. That (generally) limits it to players coming off their ELC who can't come to terms with their organization (Ryan Johansen or Ryan O'Reilly, basically). Saad may end up in this category, given Chicago's cap situation.

As for "retribution," the most recent example would be St. Louis' sheet to Steve Bernier after Vancouver signed Backes to an offer sheet (both matched) in 2008. There have only been three offer sheets signed since then (Hjalmarsson, Weber, O'Reilly).

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
alex_prewitt: Capitals announce that Eric Fehr underwent "successful surgery on his elbow" on Wednesday.

alex_prewitt: According to a release, "if rehabilitation goes well, Eric will be healthy for the start of the 2015-16 regular season."

Is it me or does that sound like he already has a deal to stay?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I don't buy it....the only offer sheets we've seen are rare and typically from desperate teams.

Or spiteful GM's with an evil genius plan

Wilson sure got Hawks in 2010

He wanted either Hjalmarsson or Niemi and knew the Hawks would be forced to choose between them if he dropped offer sheet with 2010 cap hell (Kane/Toews 4M+ cap penalties)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The GMs of the NHL are toothless. They care more about not upsetting their chums than improving their teams.

It blows my mind that they don't use offer sheets. People bellyache about retribution but I haven't seen any proof of it.

I think there's an unspoken rule among them to not rock the boat with offer sheets or be prepared to be poached yourself. It's worthless and I'm surprised the NHLPA doesn't want it changed badly. If used it would encourage movement and higher salaries.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I think there's an unspoken rule among them to not rock the boat with offer sheets or be prepared to be poached yourself. It's worthless and I'm surprised the NHLPA doesn't want it changed badly. If used it would encourage movement and higher salaries.
You've perfectly laid out why owners are against it. It's not going to be changed unless the PA wants to give in on something else.

Apr 6, 2004
alex_prewitt: Per the team's Twitter account (@spartak_hc), Hershey F Casey Wellman has signed in the KHL with Spartak Moscow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad