Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Does that all fit under the cap? We would need a very cheap 3C with Ward's signing. I assume you are trading Chimera or buyout?

no i just forgot chimera. And I was going off of your numbers, its just Fehr's salary plus no and Downie and Schlemko. That's 4.9M right there.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
its based on aquablue's moves, in which he moves Brouwer, Laich, Ward, and Johansson. and obviously Green gone to.

Ah ok. I was looking at the combined 11 million between sharp and vrbata plus ward kuznestov and holtby raises and was like yay unknown money haha now it makes sense

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
According to Joe, it wasn't the truth.

He doesn't seem like the kind of guy that just lashes out, so I imagine there was something to it.

To me he seems EXACTLY like the type who lashed out after being stripped then his boss sheds some light on the topic as to why.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Mckinnon9 said:
Trying the reenact the Canada vs Russia summit series? or 1980 Miracle on ice?

We all know how those both ended for the Russians..

Wtf are you talking about? Canada is not even a country yet. Just stop.

Plotnikov - is a very low risk opportunity.

Could be had for like 1M/1Y contract.

Has a history with Ovie, could play also with Kuz. Maybe 3RW. Big, fast, skilled RW who can play on the boards, pass and score too (and PK).

The cost of acquisition will be zero. Also he's young.

If he can't adapt to NHL game - then you lose very little (he doesn't speak English much, could be some period of tough adaptation for him, but we have enough ppl to help).

If he can adapt... he'll be better than Brouwer.
25 years old, 6'2'' physical forward. Leader of his club.

But you talk about some ancient games for no reason.

PS: You can't stop me! There are many Russians still left in the hockey world, so I will suggest some of them for Caps to sign.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
This is probably going to come as a great surprise to you, but.. these are not the only games that Russia played.

Not that it's relevant in the first place.

I am sorry about your network connectivity problems :)

You think I thought the only 2 times the Russian national team EVER played hockey games were in those 2 points in history? Serious? it was a poke fun at history and how for some reason every Russian player on the market or draft is appealing to us. Russians played phenomenal hockey back then and developed different styles of hockey, that is why they were so dominant for so long, it was new and different. I think you missed the joke..

Washington -lots of players/prospects that are Russian decent
Washington - poor playoff performance with historic breakdowns

Russian National team - Had 2 significant losses in hockey history people will always remember.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
All: Keep it on the Caps roster topic and drop the lame old Russia/Canada crap, please.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
To me he seems EXACTLY like the type who lashed out after being stripped then his boss sheds some light on the topic as to why.
Let's just say I disagree since this was the only example from a player who has been in the league for 18 years, and leave it at that. No need for further OT discussion in this thread.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
I had't really looked much at the free agent class for this coming off season (I still miss cap geek...but some other sites are catching on)...but my word...that's a terrible group of free agents.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
I had't really looked much at the free agent class for this coming off season (I still miss cap geek...but some other sites are catching on)...but my word...that's a terrible group of free agents.

Drew Stafford and Chris Stewart are both UFA's and play RW. Chris Stewart is another guy from Scarborough, where Ward is from. Maybe it'll make him want to stay even more :naughty:

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Drew Stafford and Chris Stewart are both UFA's and play RW. Chris Stewart is another guy from Scarborough, where Ward is from. Maybe it'll make him want to stay even more :naughty:

We need a fast guy with good work ethic. Is Chris Stewart like that? I doubt.

Is he even better than Brouwer? I doubt.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
We need a fast guy with good work ethic. Is Chris Stewart like that? I doubt.

Is he even better than Brouwer? I doubt.

I'd pick good work ethic over speed if I had to choose. That is why I really want Ward back and hope they can strike reasonable deal. He's not fast, but he shows up and works hard when he needs to. Free agent market isn't great this year, but I think the overall improvements the caps have made this year will make us much more appealing then in the past. We took the presidents trophy winners to game 7 and were so close to taking it, I think when GMBM makes the rounds on a few UFA's he is interested in, the negotiations/interest level will be a lot better. I am torn between which is more important for that top line, speed or size. On one side, Backy isn't the quickest and giving him an option of a RW with the speed to get to open ice is appealing but I like the idea of having someone who will dig in the corners and get in front of the net.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
NEWS: The Hershey Bears and @washcaps announce affiliation extension #HBH #Caps

One year extension

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
You know....I don't know how I feel about the affiliation anymore.

I get the Bears want to win...but there needs to be more development of Caps picks involved up there. I get that there are only so many prospects that can have spots and roles based on the contracts the Caps have slotted to picks and free agents...and there's going to be some youth coming in next season...but stick with it and give Vrana a first line role. Give Djoos and Bowey significant roles.

Maybe Im looking to much into it....I dunno.

I am glad the goalies this season were Caps guys at least. More of that up front.

Meh.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Keep in mind that as recently as 2 years ago we had Adam Oates sticking his nose into the mix and micromanaging TWO clubs, along with the continuation of GMGM's tendency to rush defensive prospects to the NHL.

Trotz and GMBM talked about rebuilding the farm system in their intro presser. They probably need a few years working on that before we can assess. Although there did seem to be quite a bit of headscratching regarding some of the moves (and non-moves) made this past season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The Caps ought to be able to influence Hershey's look. Maybe not so much in directing Mann who to use in what role but in not signing Kennedy/Conner/Wellman types to NHL contracts or re-signing Oleksy/Kundratek. I don't blame Hershey too much because the Caps really have not had adequate organizational depth to build a legit program down there and Hershey has had to go with filler to be somewhat competitive. Next year they shouldn't have to do that and Washington shouldn't be persuaded to sign a few journeymen to help them out.

Hershey will need a center like Jim O'Brien (probably worth it for Washington to sign as depth), probably another top six center to replace Kennedy, a veteran like Byers and a good LD. Everything else could be filled by their prospects and players already signed to AHL deals (Gazley, Burgdoerfer). Hershey too needs to play faster and that's predominantly done with developing youth at the AHL level as well. Washington will finally be able to supply that in some abundance for the first time in a while.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I want picks back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to replace what we lost in the GlenX trade. Brouwer and the rights to Fehr to Winnipeg for their 2nd/3rd. Jets have a number of UFAs especially at RW (Stafford/Frolik), so Caps provide two possible replacements. Brouwer might mesh with his old Hawk teammates and the Jets also get another chance with their hometown boy Fehr. Moving Brouwer relieves some cap space to go towards a possible resigning of Ward. Caps need more picks in the upper rounds of this coming draft.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I want picks back in the 2nd and 3rd rounds to replace what we lost in the GlenX trade. Brouwer and the rights to Fehr to Winnipeg for their 2nd/3rd. Jets have a number of UFAs especially at RW (Stafford/Frolik), so Caps provide two possible replacements. Brouwer might mesh with his old Hawk teammates and the Jets also get another chance with their hometown boy Fehr. Moving Brouwer relieves some cap space to go towards a possible resigning of Ward. Caps need more picks in the upper rounds of this coming draft.

There's no way the Jets bring Fehr back after how he played for them before.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Teams are doing a darn good job of keeping their good players signed.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You know....I don't know how I feel about the affiliation anymore.

I get the Bears want to win...but there needs to be more development of Caps picks involved up there. I get that there are only so many prospects that can have spots and roles based on the contracts the Caps have slotted to picks and free agents...and there's going to be some youth coming in next season...but stick with it and give Vrana a first line role. Give Djoos and Bowey significant roles.

Maybe Im looking to much into it....I dunno.

I am glad the goalies this season were Caps guys at least. More of that up front.

Meh.

IMO it's a relationship of convenient geography.....it's not like having your young guys in Baltimore, but darn close and a little more wholesome environment. We also have to realize minor league coaches and GM's have to win to stick around too. I don't see them gifting anyone ice time. The best players will probably be slotted accordingly.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
IMO it's a relationship of convenient geography.....it's not like having your young guys in Baltimore, but darn close and a little more wholesome environment. We also have to realize minor league coaches and GM's have to win to stick around too. I don't see them gifting anyone ice time. The best players will probably be slotted accordingly.

Very good points, I forget who said it within the Detroit organization recently and I can't find the quote, but it was that they wanted to be known for their ability to develop coaches that teams wanted to hire. Which makes a lot of sense given the situation where an employee under contract who isn't terminated requires compensation if they are hired. Developing good hockey teams through all assets.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

There's been a bunch of articles and quotes about the relationship between the two that I don't have the time to look up, but I can kinda summarize.

Hershey's #1 priority of course is to win and that mentality pushes the kids to earn their ice time. The management and coaches for the Bears are determined to play the best lineup regardless of how old the players are and that has worked out within the affiliation since this relationship developed. Not one other affiliation has had the success of winning 3 championships and losing another since that 05-06 season. The Bears have developed a lot of talent for the Capitals over the years and most of the roster has played in Hershey at one point.

As far as who's decision it is to play who, I have heard that Washington does have a say in who gets a jersey and who gets scratched. Obviously this is different based on a situation by situation basis, but most of the bigger prospects only get scratched unless they are A) Injured or B) Showing signs of being a bust.

Prospects who have played games for both Hershey and Washington:
Beagle, Fehr, Green, Laich, Carlson, Alzner, Latta, Wilson, Mojo, Erskine, Holtby, Neuvirth, Varlamov, Brown, Galiev, O'Brien, Carrick, Schilling, Wey, Kundratek, Bourque, Burakovsky, Oleksy, Orlov, Schmidt, Schultz, Hendricks, Perreault, Eakin, Sloan, Fleischmann, Boyd Gordon, Andrew Gordon, Klepis, Steckel, Lepisto, Osala, and Derek Engelland was a Hershey player before becoming an NHL regular

Depth Hershey Players
Most of these are the guys that spend most of the year in Hershey, but played a few games here and there for Washington.

Laing, Giroux, Aucoin, Mink, Boyd Kane, Helbling, Nycholat, Cassivi, Sean Collins, Rechlicz :laugh:, Kyle Wilson, Motzko, Helmer, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad