Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Close to $3 mil isn't fair value to a player who's never scored double digit goals? Begs the question of what he is exactly looking for then?

RE: Sharp

No. Declining 33-34 yo goal scoring winger making $6 million (and term) who brings no physical presence.

RE: Smaller players

Who said they can't be successful? If you have beef take it up with BMac and Trotz as they are the ones who seem to value bigger players more. The size of our roster is not some random chance or accident.

Who says they won't decide to make some adjustments to that vision after playoffs?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
RE: Smaller players

Who said they can't be successful? If you have beef take it up with BMac and Trotz as they are the ones who seem to value bigger players more. The size of our roster is not some random chance or accident.

I don't see getting rid of Hillen as incontrovertible proof that we only want bigger players. I see it more that we don't want players that suck. Niskanen's the biggest add of BMac's career, and he's all of 6'. And hell, 4 of our 6 draft picks last year are less than 6' tall, including 5'9 Nate Walker who we traded up for. BMac and Trotz are dumb enough to write off people based solely on their height.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Get off the Patrick Sharp stuff. Its pointless. The Capitals are in cap hell too.

yeah discussing possible acquisitions is just a waste of time in this thread, you're right.

Caps are not in cap hell. They have flexibility in choosing who they sign and how much they give Mojo, Kuzy, Holtby.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
I wonder if Buffalo would be a good place to send Laich. I was thinking something like Grubauer and Laich for a 3rd. Sabres get a possible answer to their #1 goalie and a good locker room guy for their young players?

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
Saad's the best of those 4, though, player and asset-wise. I'd think Bickell, Sharp, and Crawford would be gone long before Saad.

All three of them have some sort of NMC or NTC, so that complicates things. I really hope they lose Saad. I'm still salty about the cap circumvention they did with Hossa and Keith and basically continue to get away with.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I was wrong on Orpik. Mea culpa. He was worth the money this year and that makes the contract good even if he fades off the second half.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't see getting rid of Hillen as incontrovertible proof that we only want bigger players. I see it more that we don't want players that suck. Niskanen's the biggest add of BMac's career, and he's all of 6'. And hell, 4 of our 6 draft picks last year are less than 6' tall, including 5'9 Nate Walker who we traded up for. BMac and Trotz are dumb enough to write off people based solely on their height.

We will see. I feel confident we are going in the big and heavy direction. Niskanen certainly brings a physical edge to the game.

Who says they won't decide to make some adjustments to that vision after playoffs?

Maybe they will. I don't believe Sharp is the answer to anything. Been wrong before tho.

Orpik is a beast. I can't put enough accolades on the guy. Stabalizing physical dman we've needed for a while.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
UFA class is horrible, but a couple names I like: Michael Frolik and Carl Soderberg.

Now it's obvious the Caps don't have the $$$ to get both, but even one would be great. As weird as it sounds, Frolik probably fits a bigger need on the right wing. I'm wondering if he could work with Ovechkin and Backstrom (though I've almost lost hope for any sort of Knuble-like solution).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
UFA class is horrible, but a couple names I like: Michael Frolik and Carl Soderberg.

Now it's obvious the Caps don't have the $$$ to get both, but even one would be great. As weird as it sounds, Frolik probably fits a bigger need on the right wing. I'm wondering if he could work with Ovechkin and Backstrom (though I've almost lost hope for any sort of Knuble-like solution).

Agreed. I've mentioned those two a bit in the past, but they're middle-sixers with an offensive bent. Any true top-6 upgrade is coming through trade.

I actually do like the class from a bottom-6 UFA standpoint.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Updated Projection (no trades, only FAs signed/not retained):

Ovechkin $9.539M - Backstrom $6.7M - Ward $3M
Johansson $3.75M - Kuznetsov $3.5M - Burakovsky $0.894M
Chimera $2.0M - Laich $4.5M - Brouwer $3.7M
LOB $0.621M - Latta $0.575M - Wilson $0.894M

Orpik $5.5M - Carlson $3.966M
Alzner $2.8M - Niskanen $5.75M
Gleason $1.0M - Orlov $2M

Holtby $6.0M
Peters $0.95M

Cap total: ~$66.5M

Add another $1.5M for the two extra skaters, and the Caps would have $68M or so committed to the Cap.

That's $3.5M for straight additions if Bettman's $71.5M projection holds true.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA
Roughly 3.5 available, with Brouwer and Laich as definite trade options if GMBM wants to create more cap space. That's not an untenable position to make a significant upgrade - but probably only one.

I'd much prefer Fehr at ~3 mil, with Laich off to some team that needs to hit the salary floor.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Roughly 3.5 available, with Brouwer and Laich as definite trade options if GMBM wants to create more cap space. That's not an untenable position to make a significant upgrade - but probably only one.

I'd much prefer Fehr at ~3 mil, with Laich off to some team that needs to hit the salary floor.

Package Brouwer back to Chicago for Sharp. Saves them $2.5 million. Gets us under the cap if NBTWs assumptions are close.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not interested in keeping Gleason. He looked slow against the Islanders and I suspect it will be worse against the Rangers. He's mean, but we don't need another Erskine. Find a different 3LD or let the kids play.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I can see value in signing Gleason if not much more than $1m ... would compliment our bottom pair and depth D very well

5 Orlov
6 Gleason
7 Schmidt
8 Carrick
9 Bowey

something like that is pretty decent and cheap

Apr 6, 2004
I'm not interested in keeping Gleason. He looked slow against the Islanders and I suspect it will be worse against the Rangers. He's mean, but we don't need another Erskine. Find a different 3LD or let the kids play.

Keeping Gleason will likely depend on who he'd be playing with. I think he'd be a solid partner for Orlov or Green if he's retained. It has to be someone who he compliments, I think he's been serviceable thus far (albeit knowing his minutes / zone starts are managed to an extent)

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Updated Projection (no trades, only FAs signed/not retained):

Ovechkin $9.539M - Backstrom $6.7M - Ward $3M
Johansson $3.75M - Kuznetsov $3.5M - Burakovsky $0.894M
Chimera $2.0M - Laich $4.5M - Brouwer $3.7M
LOB $0.621M - Latta $0.575M - Wilson $0.894M

Orpik $5.5M - Carlson $3.966M
Alzner $2.8M - Niskanen $5.75M
Gleason $1.0M - Orlov $2M

Holtby $6.0M
Peters $0.95M

Cap total: ~$66.5M

Add another $1.5M for the two extra skaters, and the Caps would have $68M or so committed to the Cap.

That's $3.5M for straight additions if Bettman's $71.5M projection holds true.

Man, possibilities look great without Green's and/or Laich's cap hit.

I wonder about Gleason -- isn't he officially part of Carolina's eternal deadline pick generator machine?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
One more series like he had for Kuznetsov... and he's getting north of 3.75M himself :)

Maybe they should have some cap room left to bank it until the deadline. So 5D is Orlov then, 6D is irrelevant (Schmidt by default). Then Gleason again. Why pay him in the Fall?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006

I'd rather give his ice time to Orlov, that's for sure, but Orlov might be getting 52's ice time, in which case I wouldn't mind have a veteran presence in the 6 spot.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011

I like those two a lot as well. Unfortunately, I think Frolik has some pretty outrageous contract demands. I'm pretty sure I read he was asking for 5+. Gotta figure if he prices himself out of Winnipeg, he's asking for a lot. And I feel like Soderberg, as one of the best centers in a ****** class, is gonna get a lot as well.

I'd rather give his ice time to Orlov, that's for sure, but Orlov might be getting 52's ice time, in which case I wouldn't mind have a veteran presence in the 6 spot.

Personally, I hope they go with Schmidt-Orlov. They both deserve playing time. If it works out, great; if not, you can easily find another Gleason-type at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad