Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Forsberg played most of last season in the AHL. We can start there.

Anyway....I am pretty sure that I am not alone in thinking the Capitals won't expose Galiev to waivers

What does Forsberg have to do with players getting exposed to waivers? One good season in the AHL is not enough for a player to be snatched on the waiver wire. Especially when that player will be in his 4th full pro season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
@reporterchris: Gary Bettman says next year's NHL salary cap is projected to be $71.5M.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Absolutely, though I'm not sure STL needs to emulate the whole 3RD PMD thing.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Green is worse than either Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk and he might just end up being the most paid out of those after this summer.

I would do it though.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What does Forsberg have to do with players getting exposed to waivers? One good season in the AHL is not enough for a player to be snatched on the waiver wire. Especially when that player will be in his 4th full pro season.

Forsberg was a pro before his AHL season. Don't forget that.

If you think Galiev comes into camp and impresses after having a break out ahl season and gets passed thru waivers, ok.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
From the trade board:

If the Caps decide to let Greenie go, would you trade him for rights to Sobotka?

Why would we want Sobotka?

The prevailing theory is we have too many grinders as it is. He is an undersized bottom 6 player who has scored 35 goals in 381 NHL games.

If some team wants Green's rights and we are definitley not going to try and resign him then some mid-late round draft pick is what we'll get.

We have no use for Sobotka. Like at all.

noptov

Jan 27, 2009
Mclean, VA

If you think Galiev comes into camp and impresses after having a break out ahl season and gets passed thru waivers, ok.

Heck, even a mediocre camp would get him a chance with the Sabres...

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Why would we want Sobotka?

The prevailing theory is we have too many grinders as it is. He is an undersized bottom 6 player who has scored 35 goals in 381 NHL games.

If some team wants Green's rights and we are definitley not going to try and resign him then some mid-late round draft pick is what we'll get.

We have no use for Sobotka. Like at all.

However, three of our grinders are UFA at the end of the year, and another one is vastly overpaid and could be moved as soon as the taker is there. Without Beagle, Fehr, Ward, and Laich, we're left with Latta, Wilson, Chimera, and a question mark like Brown.

It is my opinion that Sobotka in his last year with the Blues was the best shutdown center in the league, right up there with Stoll probably. Definite upgrade over Beagle and even Fehr. In his last year in the NHL, Sobotka was above 0.5 PPG. On this year's Caps, he would be fourth among forwards in PPG, higher than all of our grinders.

Via the arbitration, he received 2.725m, which is more than reasonable, considering that it's pretty much consensus Fehr is gonna get 3m+, so for a team up against the cap, Sobotka is the real asset.

Backstrom - Kuznetsov - Sobotka - Latta is a great line-up down the middle. If they can re-sign Fehr at reasonable price, they can move Sobotka to LW having him take face-offs where a left-handed player is preferred and be a premier PKer.

Sobotka - Fehr - Wilson, good luck playing against that third line.

And anyway, a chance that Sobotka comes to play in North America is much higher than a chance a fourth or a fifth round pick pans out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Forsberg has never been on waivers. He is irrelevant to this discussion.

Remember when people were crying doom that Kundratek would be claimed last year? Or Schiling before this year? Landon Ferraro, Jerry D'Amigo, Zach Boychuk, and Mitch Callahan cleared this year, do you think Galiev is more enticing to other teams than they were? There's always a chance a player gets claimed, but I wouldn't put money on Galiev getting picked up on waivers.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't remember people crying about Kundratek. My view is that Galiev has earned the attention of the organEYEzation and that the Caps have plans for him. I could be wrong. They could possibly care less. We have seen how many nhl teams handle players they want to keep when they require waivers to send to the AHL.

If its your view that Galiev is a minor leaguer, then it makes perfect sense that you think he clears waivers. If you think he is an NHL player and the Caps think he has a future, the I would be surprised if you think he clears and they would risk that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
However, three of our grinders are UFA at the end of the year, and another one is vastly overpaid and could be moved as soon as the taker is there. Without Beagle, Fehr, Ward, and Laich, we're left with Latta, Wilson, Chimera, and a question mark like Brown.

It is my opinion that Sobotka in his last year with the Blues was the best shutdown center in the league, right up there with Stoll probably. Definite upgrade over Beagle and even Fehr. In his last year in the NHL, Sobotka was above 0.5 PPG. On this year's Caps, he would be fourth among forwards in PPG, higher than all of our grinders.

Via the arbitration, he received 2.725m, which is more than reasonable, considering that it's pretty much consensus Fehr is gonna get 3m+, so for a team up against the cap, Sobotka is the real asset.

Backstrom - Kuznetsov - Sobotka - Latta is a great line-up down the middle. If they can re-sign Fehr at reasonable price, they can move Sobotka to LW having him take face-offs where a left-handed player is preferred and be a premier PKer.

Sobotka - Fehr - Wilson, good luck playing against that third line.

And anyway, a chance that Sobotka comes to play in North America is much higher than a chance a fourth or a fifth round pick pans out.

He's a career .32 ppg player who may not even want to play in NA anymore. He's also undersized (especially compared to the Caps players and how they are playing) and he's never once scored in double digits goals-wise.

Close to $3 mil for that???

No offense my man but I think I know the real reason you want this player.

He's an ok grinder. He's in no way an upgrade over Fehr and at that price point I'd easily take the bigger stronger player in Beagle.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
He's a career .32 ppg player who may not even want to play in NA anymore. He's also undersized (especially compared to the Caps players and how they are playing) and he's never once scored in double digits goals-wise.

Close to $3 mil for that???

No offense my man but I think I know the real reason you want this player.

He's an ok grinder. He's in no way an upgrade over Fehr and at that price point I'd easily take the bigger stronger player in Beagle.

Sobotka had ~62% at face offs, killed penalties for close to 2 minutes per game, had 110 hits and 33 points in 61 games last season. I'll take that on my team for 2,725m any day. His ppg avg. over his last two seasons in NA is .47, what he scored early in his career has no meaning as to what kind of player he is today.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Eric Fehr is only a career 0.38 Pt/Gm player. Fehr will definitely make more than Sobotka next season (likely in excess of $1M more). I like Fehr, but I'd take Sobotka over him for a shutdown center role. Fehr does provide the versatility to play RW anywhere in the line-up, though.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't remember people crying about Kundratek. My view is that Galiev has earned the attention of the organEYEzation and that the Caps have plans for him. I could be wrong. They could possibly care less. We have seen how many nhl teams handle players they want to keep when they require waivers to send to the AHL.

If its your view that Galiev is a minor leaguer, then it makes perfect sense that you think he clears waivers. If you think he is an NHL player and the Caps think he has a future, the I would be surprised if you think he clears and they would risk that.

My view of Galiev has nothing to do with whether or not he clears waivers. My point is simple, based on historical evidence of similar players, he probably clears waivers. He may have an NHL future, he may not. Plans for the roster shouldn't be built around keeping him on the roster though, since he's an asset capable of being stashed in the AHL should it be necessary, regardless of his waiver exempt status.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
then losing him on waivers is acceptable.

Stop trying to put words in my (or other posters') mouth. It is not appreciated.

The risk of exposing him to waivers does not outweigh the benefit of keeping your options open for that roster spot. Galiev's waiver status should not force them to keep a roster spot open for him if there's a better fit for that spot capable of being acquired from outside the organization.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I didn't put words in your mouth. Lets try this again. You are saying that Galiev should be put thru waivers. Is that right? Are you saying its worth the risk or are you saying that he wont be claimed?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I didn't put words in your mouth. Lets try this again. You are saying that Galiev should be put thru waivers. Is that right? Are you saying its worth the risk or are you saying that he wont be claimed?

This is what I'm saying:
The risk of exposing him to waivers does not outweigh the benefit of keeping your options open for that roster spot. Galiev's waiver status should not force them to keep a roster spot open for him if there's a better fit for that spot capable of being acquired from outside the organization.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Are you saying its worth the risk or are you saying that he wont be claimed?

I don't know about him but I'm saying both. I definitely think it is worth the risk because I think the chances of him getting claimed are pretty darn low. If you claim him you have to commit to keeping him on the NHL roster all season long. I don't care how bad a team is I just don't see anyone doing that based on one decent AHL season, 5 seasons after being drafted.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If you claim him you have to commit to keeping him on the NHL roster all season long. I don't care how bad a team is I just don't see anyone doing that based on one decent AHL season, 5 seasons after being drafted.

Sort of. There commitment would be no more than the Capitals. They claiming team is allowed to demote him later in the season, but would have to once again put him on waivers. The Capitals would be allowed to directly assign him to the AHL if they were to then put a claim on him (though they don't have any additional waiver priority to do so). It's more or less like a Rule 5 pick in MLB. You don't have to keep them on your roster, but it's very unlikely you could subsequently assign them to the minors without another team (likely the original) claiming him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad