Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLV: Caps Trade Deadline 2015 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Care to compare the cap situations for those teams?

Grabovskin+Kulemin+Boychuk+Leddy = $14 million

Orpik+Niskanen = $11.25 million

You could have traded Brouwer for a first ++ inside of five minutes. There's your missing $3 million.

I'm not saying those were the right moves for Washington, but there were other options out there than overinvest in the D and pray that our forwards will turn the corner in their 6th/7th pro seasons.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Grabovskin+Kulemin+Boychuk+Leddy = $14 million

Orpik+Niskanen = $11.25 million

You could have traded Brouwer for a first ++ inside of five minutes. There's your missing $3 million.

I'm not saying those were the right moves for Washington, but there were other options out there than overinvest in the D and pray that our forwards will turn the corner in their 6th/7th pro seasons.

Like how you conveniently leave out the assets the isles used to acquire Boychuck and Leddy and the fact that one was an impending RFA and the other a UFA.

If the Isles keep All those 4 then that $14 million will escalate rather quickly.

Grabovski has 9 goals, 19 pts and now another concussion FYI.

We needed to address the D for 15 years and we finally did. I have a feeling you would have complained about anything we did truth be told.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I have a feeling you would have complained about anything we did truth be told.

Why do you always make assumptions about people rather than just read what they write?

I'm very specifically complaining about our top 6 forward depth. Because scoring has been what has knocked us out of the postseason every year since 2008.

Our forwards were as big a problem as our D was this past offseason.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Like how you conveniently leave out the assets the isles used to acquire Boychuck and Leddy and the fact that one was an impending RFA and the other a UFA.

If the Isles keep All those 4 then that $14 million will escalate rather quickly.

We needed to address the D for 15 years and we finally did. I have a feeling you would have complained about anything we did truth be told.

Weren't you shooting down any possible acquisition less Justin Williams and Jagr?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Weren't you shooting down any possible acquisition less Justin Williams and Jagr?

Ummm no. I liked quite a few players and am happy with who we got. I preferred we got physical gritty players who would fit into what we are doing and we did just that.

I even said I'd root for frikin Chris Stewart if we brought him on board. The underlying theme is that I have faith in what Trotz and BMac are trying to do here. Some others don't.

I'm very specifically complaining about our top 6 forward depth. Because scoring has been what has knocked us out of the postseason every year since 2008.

Our forwards were as big a problem as our D was this past offseason.

And we grabbed a 20 goal scorer. We are a top 10 goal scoring team and for the first time have an experienced coach and a real NHL D since 2008.

Halpysback*

Yeah no way could the caps have scrapped up together a few 2nd rounders and a Connor Carrick caliber defensive prospect. It just wouldn't have been possible!

And people keep saying we "addressed" the D... who on the left side of the D knows how to move the puck? WHO? Rags just got Keith Yandle despite already having 2 LDs more capable of puck movement than anyone we had. Kings got Sekera despite Muzzin and Martinez both being better. That is what "addressing the D" looks like.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Ummm no. I liked quite a few players and am happy with who we got. I preferred we got physical gritty players who would fit into what we are doing and we did just that.

I even said I'd root for frikin Chris Stewart if we brought him on board. The underlying theme is that I have faith in what Trotz and BMac are trying to do here. Some others don't.

No doubt they're sticking with the same grit/physical theme upfront, but that was hardly the issue. Not enough possession or skill guys.

Gleason I like and understand as a depth move, but Glencross does little for me.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
No doubt they're sticking with the same grit/physical theme upfront, but that was hardly the issue. Not enough possession or skill guys.

Gleason I like and understand as a depth move, but Glencross does little for me.

Glencross was a favorite of Barnes...you know the guy who pioneered all this possession stuff.

He has had 4 consective 20+ goal or pace goal seasons prior to this one where he was deployed in a checking role.

What "skilled scorer" who got traded did you want to see with us? Who did we miss out on?

Vermette? He has the EXACT same career ppg as Glencross.

Erik Cole? He has a a playoff history similar that despised Brouwer! (46g 6+8 vs 64g 7+9)

And people keep saying we "addressed" the D... who on the left side of the D knows how to move the puck? WHO? Rags just got Keith Yandle despite already having 2 LDs more capable of puck movement than anyone we had. Kings got Sekera despite Muzzin and Martinez both being better. That is what "addressing the D" looks like.

Huh?? What are you saying here???

We have Carlson, Green and Niskanen as our puck movers and Green and Carlson are among the best in the league.

Who gives a damn about which side they play??? This is a stupid argument.

We addressed the D and its light years better than anything we've had since our one cup appearance.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Glencross was a favorite of Barnes...you know the guy who pioneered all this possession stuff.

He has had 4 consective 20+ goal or pace goal seasons prior to this one where he was deployed in a checking role.

What "skilled scorer" who got traded did you want to see with us? Who did we miss out on?

Vermette? He has the EXACT same career ppg as Glencross.

Erik Cole? He has a a playoff history similar that despised Brouwer! (46g 6+8 vs 64g 7+9)

We'll see it pans out for our great analytics chief.

Hard to get excited about 9 goals and a player seeing a diminished role.

No idea who was truly out there and the cost.

Vermette ended up being too expensive, Cole I would of preferred for his speed and scoring touch. You make fun of his playoff resume, but Glencross hardly has one at all.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We'll see it pans out for our great analytics chief.

Hard to get excited about 9 goals and a player seeing a diminished role.

No idea who was truly out there and the cost.

Vermette ended up being too expensive, Cole I would of preferred for his speed and scoring touch. You make fun of his playoff resume, but Glencross hardly has one at all.

Well you'd imagine our analytics guy knows a thing or two about the analytics he himself shed light on to the entire league right?

Glencross and Vermette have the exact same carrer ppg.

Vermette has played 58 playoff games and is 9+9...similar to Brouwer and Cole. If you are going to hate on Brouwer for his lack of playoff production (justifiable) then why would you want Cole or Vermette?

Yeah Glencross doesn't have much of a history. But would you pay MORE for a guy who has had a history of poor production in the playoffs? I wouldn't.

I don't know how good those Red Wings prospects traded for Cole are honestly so I don't know about the cost. But when it comes down to the two either would have been an upgrade over what we have.

Vermette I was against due to his cost and the fact that he does not play the style which Trotz and BMac want. Its not like he is giving you more production than Cole or Glencross either and his playoff record is like Brouwer's.

Those were the 3 top forwards available. We got the best fit in my book.

To be clear, Barnes liked Glencross when he was playing on a line with Jokinen and Iginla. That was not all that recently.

I wonder if he still likes him tho? I would think he had some input or was asked for input on this player right? It would make sense.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Well you'd imagine our analytics guy knows a thing or two about the analytics he himself shed light on to the entire league right?

Glencross and Vermette have the exact same carrer ppg.

Vermette has played 58 playoff games and is 9+9...similar to Brouwer and Cole. If you are going to hate on Brouwer for his lack of playoff production (justifiable) then why would you want Cole or Vermette?

Yeah Glencross doesn't have much of a history. But would you pay MORE for a guy who has had a history of poor production in the playoffs? I wouldn't.

I don't know how good those Red Wings prospects traded for Cole are honestly so I don't know about the cost. But when it comes down to the two either would have been an upgrade over what we have.

Vermette I was against due to his cost and the fact that he does not play the style which Trotz and BMac want. Its not like he is giving you more production than Cole or Glencross either and his playoff record is like Brouwer's.

Those were the 3 top forwards available. We got the best fit in my book.

It remains to be seen if our analytics guy can find what this team needs.

I don't really understand your Vermette spiel, I wasn't advocating they go after him at that price. But you do bring a interesting point with all your PPG talk. Glencross misses games, a good deal. For the remainder of this season it's immaterial(at least I hope), but if they intend to sign him long-term it's something they better consider.

It's not like you could hype up Glencross' playoff production either...lose-lose no matter which of the three they would of gotten in that regard.

So a two-way, multi-dimensional, multi-faceted guy isn't a "Trotz player"? News to me.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Or that they actually listen to him. Trying to meet in the middle, if you're an extremist, doesn't mean a whole lot.

Organizationally they seem to believe that effort trumps intelligence and that puck possession isn't really all that important. They're old school...too old school. No wonder they're never really there when it matters.

I do think the Gleason addition has the potential to significantly improve the third pair and to tilt Green's possession numbers back to where they were with Schmidt. Beyond that Trotz has a lot of work to do in getting the forward lines sorted out. He must trust 8/19/52 more with the lead, too.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009

I don't really understand your Vermette spiel, I wasn't advocating they go after him at that price. But you do bring a interesting point with all your PPG talk. Glencross misses games, a good deal. For the remainder of this season it's immaterial(at least I hope), but if they intend to sign him long-term it's something they better consider.

It's not like you could hype up Glencross' playoff production either...lose-lose no matter which of the three they would of gotten in that regard.

So a two-way, multi-dimensional, multi-faceted guy isn't a "Trotz player"? News to me.

The big thing about Vermette was the cost in comparison to Glenncross/Cole. We all knew he would cost considerably more and he did end up doing just that.

What I mean about "Trotz player" is what I have been saying consistently...him and BMac aren't just looking for any skilled player or two way player. One quality every guy they have been after has been the grit/heavy game.

Orpik, Niskanen and Gleason all play heavy. We were involved in Kane and Kesler. Both play a heavy game.

I can see why Glenncross would be much more in line with what we are trying to do than Vermette because of this.

Then you factor in the production (similar) and it seems we made the right choice.

The injury thing is a concern but I'm focused on this year. We don't know this will play out so no use worrying about his long term fit here.

Organizationally they seem to believe that effort trumps intelligence and that puck possession isn't really all that important. They're old school...too old school. No wonder they're never really there when it matters.

We have improved our possession game significantly than when under either Hunter or Oates. I don't think its fair to say they don't believe its all that important. They wouldn't have hired Barnes if they felt that way.

They are not as old school as you believe. They did say they like to factor in the "eye test" or "beagle-instinct" but they have repeatedly mention that advanced metrics is something they value and the play on the ice suggests that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Nothing says heavy like Patrick Sharp, Matt Niskanen and Jordan Leopold.

Niskanen is tough and scrappy. He's more physical than you believe.

The Sharp rumors were debunked.

I didn't see much on Leopold and it was clearly false since that was after we grabbed up Gleason anyhow so hard to believe it was a thing.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Niskanen is tough and scrappy. He's more physical than you believe.

The Sharp rumors were debunked.

I didn't see much on Leopold and it was clearly false since that was after we grabbed up Gleason anyhow so hard to believe it was a thing.

Trotz openly swooned about Sharp. Leopold rumor came from multiple sources.

If you have links to debunking, pass them on.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Trotz openly swooned about Sharp. Leopold rumor came from multiple sources.

If you have links to debunking, pass them on.

Sharp's name also surfaced in trade rumors over the weekend as well with the Blackhawk reportedly discussing a potential deal with the Washington Capitals. However, as Elliotte Friedman reported on Hockey Night in Canada Saturday, Sharp had not been asked to submit a list of teams he would accept a trade to. According to Friedman, Sharp's limited no-trade clause requires that the team approach him 48 hours before making a trades. Having not done that by 3 p.m. ET Saturday, he can't be moved.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25086376/blackhawks-patrick-sharp-combats-untrue-rumors-about-personal-life

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/friedman-patrick-sharp-staying-chicago/

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Sharp's name also surfaced in trade rumors over the weekend as well with the Blackhawk reportedly discussing a potential deal with the Washington Capitals. However, as Elliotte Friedman reported on Hockey Night in Canada Saturday, Sharp had not been asked to submit a list of teams he would accept a trade to. According to Friedman, Sharp's limited no-trade clause requires that the team approach him 48 hours before making a trades. Having not done that by 3 p.m. ET Saturday, he can't be moved.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25086376/blackhawks-patrick-sharp-combats-untrue-rumors-about-personal-life

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/friedman-patrick-sharp-staying-chicago/

Interesting. I had not read that.

Still seems odd that Trotz would say: “When you hear those rumors I think it’s actually good,†Trotz said when asked specifically about Sharp. “It just shows that the organization is trying to win.

When a simple no comment would suffice.

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey...ls-trade-blackhawks-barry-trotz-reacts-rumors

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Is Carlson expected to run with the top PP spot from now on or does Green draw back in or is it going to be changing? I remember statistically there wasn't much difference in PP efficiency with Green vs. Carlson on it so one would think Carlson should get the spot given that he's the one staying beyond this year for sure. On the other hand, you probably don't want to play Carlson too much every game and keep him fresh for the playoffs.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Interesting. I had not read that.

Still seems odd that Trotz would say: “When you hear those rumors I think it’s actually good,†Trotz said when asked specifically about Sharp. “It just shows that the organization is trying to win.

When a simple no comment would suffice.

http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey...ls-trade-blackhawks-barry-trotz-reacts-rumors

For sure its hard to distinguish what is actually a rumor and what is completely fabricated at that time of year. Insiders are looking for clicks. GMs are playing games with each other and clandestinely throwing names out as a means to an end. When GMs are playing those games then likely they will tune the coach in to play along.

Sharp just didn't make sense due to his term, cap hit, age and acquistion cost not to mention he isn't exactly tearing it up this year. It was fishy from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad