Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Any bets on Regehr looking good or bad in LA? I think he's not washed up as some would have us believe. I think he performs very well there.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Any bets on Regehr looking good or bad in LA? I think he's not washed up as some would have us believe. I think he performs very well there.

Kings are the best possession team in the league... they can protect him pretty well. I don't think he'll actually be all that good there, but if nothing else he'll look better by default (plus the potential change-of-scenery bump and such).

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

Depends on his role. If he gets sheltered matchups in limited ice time, as a 5-6 defenseman should, he'll perform fine in that role, especially with that team's puck possession game and goaltending.

He's not passing Mitchell or Scuderi on the depth chart, so he won't have to do much. He's depth for them, not an impact player.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Kings also never strike me as all that fast, so his lead feet wouldn't hurt so much in that case. Could all be an illusion though.

Halpysback*

Glencross + Giordano for Forsberg + Kundratek + good Alberta boy in Schultz

Do caps do it?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Glencross + Giordano for Forsberg + Kundratek + good Alberta boy in Schultz

Do caps do it?

Prefer MAJO instead of Forsberg. But definitely would like those two guys. How about MAJO/Kundratek/Neuvirth/Schultz for those two. (We're dreaming aren't we.:laugh:)

Halpysback*

Of course Regehr is gonna look good in LA. He'd look good here as well.

He's the perfect secondary veteran player for the playoffs - wrong side of 30, overripe but still a functional player, plays with an edge, something to prove. Salvador, Hamrlik, Sarich, Gill, Morris, Scuderi, Mitchell, Greene (not over 30 but sure as hell plays like it) have all stepped way up in the playoffs, and Murray, Regehr and Morrow will this year as well. Bank on it.

Regular season Perreaultables notwithstanding, he's still a 2nd pairing defenseman in the playoffs, one with a skillset that comes in real handy that time of year.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks! Does he project as a top 4 Dman?

He could be, absolutely.

He has all the tools you could want for an offensive defenseman, he can really skate and he has a great shot. He improved his play in his own zone quite a bit this year but that will still be his weakness moving on to the next level.

He was at his best last year when he was paired with a stay at home guy and was able to jump into the play and take more chances. This year he seemed to focus on his defense more which is why his numbers were a little down.

He kind of reminds me of Alex Goligoski from his Gopher days.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I think LA and Buffalo both did well. LA with Regehr is going to help them a lot. I always liked the player and wanted him on the Caps back in 2000.

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
He could be, absolutely.

He has all the tools you could want for an offensive defenseman, he can really skate and he has a great shot. He improved his play in his own zone quite a bit this year but that will still be his weakness moving on to the next level.

He was at his best last year when he was paired with a stay at home guy and was able to jump into the play and take more chances. This year he seemed to focus on his defense more which is why his numbers were a little down.

Thanks.....hope the Caps can get him signed

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
He could be, absolutely.

Thanks for posting. I appreciate it. What other teams is he considering?

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Not to be annoying but how do you know the Caps might be close to signing him?

A Gopher hockey writer/insider on a Gophers message board that I frequent posted this about an hour ago:

"Hearing Nate Schmidt is signing with Washington. Guess we'll see.."

He pretty much always has the inside scoop with these things when it comes to recruiting/players leaving but knowing my luck this will be the first time he's wrong. :laugh:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Thanks for posting. I appreciate it. What other teams is he considering?

I've heard the Flyers, Canucks, Oilers, and Panthers thrown around.

The Wild seem interested and A LOT of Wild fans are hoping to get him but I've heard Schmidt doesn't share that interest.

Didn't he attend your development camp last summer or am I remembering that wrong?

Last edited:

sunnydaycrash

Feb 24, 2004
Vancouver
I've heard the Flyers, Canucks and Panthers thrown around.

The Wild seem interested and A LOT of Wild fans are hoping to get him but I've heard Schmidt doesn't share that interest.

Didn't he attend your development camp last summer or am I remembering that wrong?

No you're right, he was on the list, don't recall his name being thrown around much but I'm assuming he was there.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
(But seriously, they would be such an interesting potential destination for Neuvirth. Granted, Ramo is probably their guy next season, but if they're going to try and deal Kipper...)

Ramo is getting more money in the KHL than Kiprusoff in the NHL probably. Would he come?

Neuvirth could fly to KHL also. He even could be good there, perhaps.

If only McPhee decided to have experienced backup. There is no reason to keep Grubauer on the bench behind Holtby and not in the AHL.

PS: How could we got something of value for spare parts we don't need?! Pipedream - the SouthLeast style?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
There must be other bubble teams with spare parts we need that could use ours.

I am thinking our run of rolling out young G's is getting counter productive. Neuvy is not getting the work he needs. Even if he played in the games he recently missed, it just does not seem enough from a development standpoint, nor is it enough for George to even grade his talents. In all this, he is losing trade value. It just seems like questionable G management. Kolzig is probably filling the void of mentor but wonder if its enough.

We have MPM Dmen out the arse - to George's content. Laich fills the void at LW, WW is depth. C is set, as is RW.

I now think if George targets anything at the deadline, it's a vet G. Holtby is a little shaky at times and may benefit from a vet he can feel confident leaning on, and not feel the need to do it all himself. Perhaps all the players would benefit from a vet in the mix. G play is HUGE. It does not get enough discussion. We complain about a 6/7D until the end of time. The G doesn't leave the ice.

When a young G gives up an early goal, he is just too young and thus doesn't have a proven track record of overcoming early softies to project the confidence needed to keep the rest of the players believing. Here we go again...

When a young G does really really well, everyone is impressed to no end. No one expects it.

Last edited:

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Glencross isn't going anywhere. He has a full NMC and took a hometown discount to stay in the middle-of-nowhere Canada. Doubt he'd waive it so early in his contract.

Cammalleri (expensive LW) or Stajan (expensive 3C to free up more top-6 LW possibilities among the other left shots) are possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad