Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Why is Fehr moved to center and not Mojo?

Hendricks- Backstrom-Ovechkin
Johansson-Fehr-Brouwer
Perreault-Ribeiro-Chimera/Ward
Volpatti-Beagle-Wolski/Crabb/Laich

Oh wait, seeing a post prior to mine, is Fehr at center a typo? The lineup I posted is a direct copy/past from the WaPost.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I would actually like to see Fehr tried at center :laugh:

How MJ plays at center should have a hand in if we retain Ribs.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I would actually like to see Fehr tried at center :laugh:

How MJ plays at center should have a hand in if we retain Ribs.

I think whether or not Perreault can "get it" (whatever "it" is Oates wants him to get) will matter more, at least for the immediate future. Granted, having both of them performing would make things so much smoother.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think whether or not Perreault can "get it" (whatever "it" is Oates wants him to get) will matter more, at least for the immediate future. Granted, having both of them performing would make things so much smoother.

You may well be right. MJ has proven inconsistent and may be even somewhat injury prone. But I think MJ is the chosen one of the 2. I think MJ comes before MP no matter how you slice it. MP has his strengths yet has not seized a scoring C role yet... which says something to me.

I am sure George doesn't want to be wrong on another 1st and will devote many years (see Sarge) to prove it.

I think MP's role in the NHL will end up being a scoring 3C for 3 line teams, and most likely, emergency scoring C. He just doesn't quite have the size to be full time scoring C.

Maryland17

Jan 7, 2008
Annapolis, MD
The roster isn't a total disaster, we just need to make some tweaks.

If the Caps lose 2 of the next 3(@CAR/@BOS/vs.BUF), I think the season is over.

There are only a few players that are even trade-able for a rental.

I would only look to trade Ribiero, and maybe Fehr(but would like to resign him). Maybe Hendricks for a late pick, but thats about it. And if some team really had depleted D, Poti for a late pick. Chim maybe for a 3rd/4th.

Its even doom and gloom when it comes to the TDL.

Off-season, look to sign a FA-2nd line W if we can get Ribs to re-sign.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
My preferred lineup right now:

Chimera-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Johansson-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Fehr-Perreault-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb/Volpatti

With Laich:

Chimera-Backstrom-Ovechkin
Laich-Ribeiro-Brouwer
Fehr-Johansson-Ward
Hendricks-Perreault/Beagle-Beagle/Volpatti/Crabb

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hilarious that Mojo is getting bumped at C over Fehr, a lifetime winger. Oates really is pulling out all the stops. What's next, Kolzig suits up, or maybe we try Neuvy in the top-6?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Here's Whyno's from 11:19AM:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/capitals-watch/2013/mar/13/adam-oates-shuffles-capitals-lines-after-loss-hurr/

Here’s a look at the lines and pairings:
Matt Hendricks – Nicklas Backstrom – Alex Ovechkin
Eric Fehr – Marcus Johansson – Troy Brouwer
Jason Chimera / Mathieu Perreault – Mike Ribeiro – Joel Ward
Wojtek Wolski / Aaron Vopatti – Jay Beagle – Joey Crabb

Karl Alzner - Tomas Kundratek
Jeff Schultz - John Carlson
Cameron Schilling - Steve Oleksy
Lines aren't going to change between then and now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You want to teach Ovi defense? Make him a center.

He will probably lose out the job to Fehr, sure. But for a shift or a period in a blowout, like late in the 3rd last night. We expect him to play 1000+ games for us, the best player ever but the notion of playing him at center for even a single shift... mind blown!

Before you get into a bunch, Bryan Murray tried Scott Stevens at center. He instantly got into a fight with Dwight Schofield, and the experiment was over. No one gave themselves a wedge over it. We had Fedorov playing defense in playoff OT :laugh:

That didn't last long either.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Ovi at center, eh? Sure, why not, lol. Though that experiment will end as soon as he floats back and his guy scores from like 10 feet right in front of the goal, I imagine.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If he never learns defense, his offense has dried up, we tank and his career has peaked, really, where is the risk in trying a single ****ing period in a disaster season.

It all started as a joke about Fehr as center but the elephant in the room is Ovi and remains him until it plays out. He can seem to do no right at wing some nights. He isn't going to be scratched. What is left to do with him, strip the C. What else.

If he can't score, he sure as hell better learn how to play defense. How else better do you learn how to play defense, than feet to the fire.

Last edited:

Halpysback*

Ovi at center would end the never ending flame wars over whether he's dogging it on defense or just being high because he's a winger covering the points.

Also, imagine if he becomes a really, really good Lindros style center. Ovechkin-Backstrom-Ribeiro. That's cup caliber center depth.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If he never learns defense, his offense has dried up, we tank and his career has peaked, really, where is the risk in trying a single ****ing period in a disaster season.

It all started as a joke about Fehr as center but the elephant in the room is Ovi and remains him until it plays out. He can seem to do no right at wing some nights. He isn't going to be scratched. What is left to do with him, strip the C. What else.

If he can't score, he sure as hell better learn how to play defense. How else better do you learn how to play defense, than feet to the fire.

Oh there is no risk, I agree. I'm down with w/e, at this point.

Though I think the way to force defense is to use ice time as reward/punishment. Of course, that's something the Caps should ve done early on in his career..

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
that's right art, earlier in the career was probably better.

And Halps, man Lindros was a stud one of the few enemies I actually respected.

What is the best way for a winger to learn to be more defensively aware. Drill work.

"cover the point man" just seems so shallow. A winger just doesn't have the chances to learn more than that hands on. Watching tape of failures may not teach the level of awareness needed.

Not that it will ever happen of course, but I think forcing him to be a center for a period, maybe he would like it. Or learn from it. I see no risk whatsoever to try.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
My lineup would look like:

Laich-Ribeiro-Ovechkin
Fehr-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Perreault-Ward
Hendricks-Beagle-Crabb
Wolski/Johansson/Volpatti

Alzner-Green
Schilling-Carlson
Erskine-Kundratek