Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part LXI ‎(FA sorta-Frenzy 2015) (Ward to SJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Why not?

He was the best Dman in the WHL.

He was key cog in Canada's WJC team and produced.

He has been the captain of his team and a high scoring Dman.

He can skate. Is big. Is physical (he can fight a bit too). He has a wicked shot. He is smart. He has intangibles.

He projects to be a very good all around dman similar to his teammate Morrissey who is highly touted himself.

All the accoldaes you listed were expected considering he's a more experienced player.

Don't get me wrong, I like his skating, offense, and physicality, but he has a ways to go defensively before I can proclaim him to be a top pairer. "He is smart" I don't know if I agree there, I think he lacks hockey sense and still misreads plays more than I'd like. Conservatively, I see him as #3-4 guy and potential PP QB.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
St Louis as a whole is a bad playoff team....I wouldn't put that all square on Oshie or Backes. Chokers? Thats a bit much.

Put them on a team like this...tides can turn...especially with adding a Williams and if they can get Ward back.
Yes. The East is not the West/Central. The Blues have an incredibly tough draw from year-to-year. This past year vs. Minnesota it was a less than convincing excuse but that's still a very quick team that would do a lot of damage in the East. I'd take those two over 20/90 easily.

It's possible the trade talk stuff was all leverage, just as signing Chorney could be leverage for any further D depth signings and as waiting it out could leverage the RFAs into lower rates.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
St Louis as a whole is a bad playoff team....I wouldn't put that all square on Oshie or Backes. Chokers? Thats a bit much.

Put them on a team like this...tides can turn...especially with adding a Williams and if they can get Ward back.

Usually I'm with you Strung but not on this.

Blues history of choking is worse than the Caps you could say.

These two players are the face of the team that has partaken in much choking lately and both have severly underperformed.

I'd rather have Ward back and Fehr.

We can trade MJ and Brouwer for futures and get Ward and Fehr. Or we can trade MJ and Brouwer + Futures in order to get 2 players who do less when it matters.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
We just drafted Orpik's replacement. The rest of the D is set for years. Gotta give to get. If Bowey is the guy they want then give him up.

Now is the ****ing time.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Would I give up Bowey in a trade? Sure he's not untouchable. No one is.

Would I give him up in a trade for proven playoff chokers?

NOPE

What are you guys talking about?? You hate Brouwer and MJ b/c they suck in the playoffs YET you want Oshie and Backes???

MADNESS I tell you!! :)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bowey lacks composure, defensive awareness, and positioning. Hopefully that can be fixed as he gains experience. But at the lower levels he does well because he's a superior athlete and that allows him to recover. He won't have that advantage in the NHL.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD

NOPE

What are you guys talking about?? You hate Brouwer and MJ b/c they suck in the playoffs YET you want Oshie and Backes???

I want JVR. :)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

That would seem to apply to Brouwer as well. Would not trading Brouwer for Backes be trading one problem for the same problem with a different face? Wouldn't it make much more sense to replace Brouwer with a player that has a track record of playoff performance. Keep Ward rather than getting Backes? if you cant do that, then find someone that doesn't have a long list of playoff fails on their resume?

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
ROR, Lucic, Spezza and Kesler in the past two years. Backes should fetch more than Ribeiro since he's not damaged goods but for St. Louis I doubt they're interested in exclusively futures given what stage they're in. Maybe for Berglund or Oshie but I'd think something involving Backes has to include some immediate help.

I'd love to expand a STL deal and do something like Johansson+Brouwer+ for Berglund+Oshie. Solves RW and 3C.

Would prefer Ott and Oshie, could probably swing Brouwer/JOJO, Laich, Bowey, and a 3rd for that. 3C another top 6 and two pk guys as well

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
why is everyone so caught up on getting Oshie anyway?

his post season numbers are less than stellar.

30 games - 5 goals?

MOJO - 44 games 5 goals :laugh:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That would seem to apply to Brouwer as well. Would not trading Brouwer for Backes be trading one problem for the same problem with a different face? Wouldn't it make much more sense to replace Brouwer with a player that has a track record of playoff performance. Keep Ward rather than getting Backes? if you cant do that, then find someone that doesn't have a long list of playoff fails on their resume?

Or lets say Oshie....anyone here who would take Oshie over Ward at playoff time is insane.

Grass is greener, Tinner.

Truly what it seems like.

I want JVR. :)

Don't get me started on this player. He would be on NO TEAM OF MINE! Poor defensive player who is big yet soft.

Bowey lacks composure, defensive awareness, and positioning. Hopefully that can be fixed as he gains experience. But at the lower levels he does well because he's a superior athlete and that allows him to recover. He won't have that advantage in the NHL.

Where are you getting this from?? Eye test? My eyes told me differently! Every scouting report on him is glowing. He is the 23rd best prospect on HF and by ALL accounts projects to be a solid 2 way player.

Just the haterade talking again.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Id rather sign Ward back before Backes or Oshie, easily.

also.. eric fehr, as much as i like the guy. he disappears in the post season as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Would prefer Ott and Oshie, could probably swing Brouwer/JOJO, Laich, Bowey, and a 3rd for that. 3C another top 6 and two pk guys as well
I don't think Ott's an improvement at center over Beagle. He gets murdered in possession.

Bowey is a project but with good coaching at the AHL level he ought to be able to refine his game somewhat. His defensive hockey sense is not naturally strong. It might be a good time to sell high but I'd hope that this is the sort of player that Washington is able to refine and develop between Trotz, Reirden, Mann and Helmer.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina

NOPE

Playoff games played...points per playoff game.

Brouwer - 78 - .24
Oshie - 30 - .30
Johansson - 44 - .34

Much smaller sample size on Oshie...and I'm willing to take the chance those numbers improve...especially if they surround him with the likes of Williams and Ward and Orpik and the like that this team is putting together.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

The idea of subtracting Brouwer and Laich while keeping Ward and adding Backes makes me want to do back flips...

Pay the price to bring in Backes and pay the price to get Laich off the roster...just ****ing do it.

Ovie-Kuz-Burro
Mojo-Backtrom-Williams
Ward-Backes-Wilson

only question is can Ward or Williams play LW?

Plenty of combos available based on chemistry etc...your three young players are in vital roles with every chance to succeed given their line mates...

It'll cost us a 1st, a top prospect, and change for Backes.

I'd give up a 2017 2nd or a 2016 3rd to get Laich off the books if it results in a roster that looks like that. Hopefully someone would do it for less or something like a 2016 4th and a 2017 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Playoff games played...points per playoff game.

Brouwer - 78 - .24
Oshie - 30 - .30
Johansson - 44 - .34

Much smaller sample size on Oshie...and I'm willing to take the chance those numbers improve...especially if they surround him with the likes of Williams and Ward and Orpik and the like that this team is putting together.

Well it would be an either or with Ward vs Oshie/Backes. Who would you rather have? Lets set aside the considerable assets required to obtain Oshie/Backes even.

Backes is a terrific player. He's not at all soft. He's Captain America, for Christ's sakes!!

Bowey is a more than fair price for him.

Oshie is physical too. Brouwer is far from soft as well. What do all three guys have in common?

Lack of playoff production

So no..Bowey is not a fair price for him. If we want to trade our best prospect then we need to do so for a PROVEN playoff performer.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So does anyone think the silence on ward (other then rumors of him looking at offers) might mean he comes back?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Let me illustrate my point further...

Lets say, for the sake of arguing, Oshie/Backes would cost the same to obtain. We will call this player Backshie.

To get Backshie:

We trade 1st, Bowey, Brouwer (ballpark price)

Get Backshie

To get Ward back:

We trade Brouwer for a 2nd rnd pick.

So...

In Scenario 1 we get Backes. We lose 1st and Bowey net.

In Scenario 2 we get Ward. We GAIN a 2nd round pick

I think this is a no brainer.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Let me illustrate my point further...

Lets say, for the sake of arguing, Oshie/Backes would cost the same to obtain. We will call this player Backshie.

To get Backshie:

We trade 1st, Bowey, Brouwer (ballpark price)

Get Backshie

To get Ward back:

We trade Brouwer for a 2nd rnd pick.

So...

In Scenario 1 we get Backes. We lose 1st and Bowey net.

In Scenario 2 we get Ward. We GAIN a 2nd round pick

I think this is a no brainer.

absolutely.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Well it would be an either or with Ward vs Oshie. Who would you rather have? Lets set aside the considerable assets required to obtain Oshie even.
Ward is 34...Oshie is 28. Im going with the 28 year old if you're putting a gun to my head.

But why can you not have both?

Trade for Oshie....1st, Mojo, Bowey, whatever.

Sign Ward for the same deal as Williams. Sign Fehr for the same avv as Beagle.

Ship Brouwer to whoever for a pick.

Ovie - Backstrom - Oshie
Burakovsky - Kuznetsov ($2.85) - Williams
Laich - Fehr - Ward
Chimera - Beagle - Wilson
Latta

Orpik - Carlson
Alzner - Niskanen
Schmidt - Orlov
Chorney

Holtby ($5.75)
Grubauer