Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXV -- 2017-18 Training Camp/Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Skeptical that Stephenson will get claimed. It's possible, but if someone like Vegas or Nashville was going to claim a forward on waivers they would have probably claimed Kerby Rychel instead. Instead Vegas waived their own forward (Pulkinnen) to continue to hoard defenseman and goalie assets.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
DLTobeYUIAAXP3f

On waivers today

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Maybe Trotz isn't the right coach for this team.

He must mean young players will be the foundation once they've officially shut the door on the Ovie era and go back to being a lottery team. And certainly not when he's the coach. Trotz was given the most talented roster in the league the past two years and couldn't make the necessary adjustments in the playoffs. He should have a short leash this year.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I was under the impression that young players such as Vrana, Walker, and Djoos all made the team. And that--at the very least--they would be splitting time with the dumpster-dive vets. And that if the kids make the best of their opportunities, and show competency/development and begin to deliver on their potential, they'll earn more ice time. AND that Bowey was a paper/$$$ decision and will likely be called up soon. Seems like a pretty good infusion of youth in one off-season to me.

Like, what other young players/prospects do you think DESERVE to be up with the big club on Opening Night? Siegenthaler? Lewington? They looked extremely out of place playing against other teams' picks/prospects in the pre-season, and fans want to rush them to the NHL clearly before they're ready? Don't you remember complaining about how the Caps destroyed Steve Eminger's development? Who, exactly, is getting screwed over by Trotz giving ice time to vets to start the season? It's not like the organization is denying chances to blue-chip prospects. The majority of the prospects fighting for a roster spot in the pre-season were 4th-line/3rd-pairing tweeners.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
29k in cap space as is today.

Wilson's forfeited salary during his suspension ($97.56k) doesn't count against the cap. So the free space is slightly higher.

edit: Correction, his forfeited salary does count towards the cap. It would only not count if he was suspended without pay.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Wilson's forfeited salary during his suspension ($97.56k) doesn't count against the cap. So the free space is slightly higher.
Hasn't it been reported by multiple reliable sources that Wilson's forfeited salary DOES count against the salary cap?

EDIT: "Wilson’s suspension hurts the Capitals at the start of the season because they have to keep him on the roster and his salary on the books during the suspension" --Isabelle

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Hasn't it been reported by multiple reliable sources that Wilson's forfeited salary DOES count against the salary cap?

EDIT: "Wilson’s suspension hurts the Capitals at the start of the season because they have to keep him on the roster and his salary on the books during the suspension" --Isabelle

Yeah my bad, it's one of those highly confusing sections of the CBA. The CBA says salary not paid doesn't count against a team's cap. However in the case of Wilson and similar suspensions the salary is forfeited and goes into a fund for other use. So the CBA treats the salary as being "paid" even though Wilson didn't receive it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I was under the impression that young players such as Vrana, Walker, and Djoos all made the team. And that--at the very least--they would be splitting time with the dumpster-dive vets. And that if the kids make the best of their opportunities, and show competency/development and begin to deliver on their potential, they'll earn more ice time. AND that Bowey would was a paper/$$$ decision and likely be called up soon. Seems like a pretty good infusion of youth in one off-season to me.

Like, what other young players/prospects do you think DESERVE to be up with the big club on Opening Night? Siegenthaler? Lewington? They looked extremely out of place playing against other teams' picks/prospects in the pre-season, and fans want to rush them to the NHL clearly before they're ready? Don't you remember complaining about how the Caps destroyed Steve Eminger's development? Who, exactly, is getting screwed over by Trotz giving ice time to vets to start the season? It's not like the organization is denying chances to blue-chip prospects. The majority of the prospects fighting for a roster spot in the pre-season were 4th-line/3rd-pairing tweeners.

For one I'd absolutely say Bowey should be on the roster opening night and getting regular playing time over Chorney (who could have been waived with likely no one claiming him). Not to mention I'd rather roll the dice on putting Djoos in the lineup over Ness as Djoos seems like a higher upside player. As of now it looks like Djoos is the healthy scratch, though I suppose he will get a shot soon.

It's just another statement added to the pile of evidence that Trotz doesn't really trust young kids and relies too much on veteran "stability", despite the fact that the top of the lineup is already full of veterans. What good does it do to have Chorney in the lineup now for this team in April? Wouldn't it have been nice to have Vrana in the lineup for a few more weeks last season so that they would have had a better idea what he would be this season? Instead, Trotz called Vrana out despite putting up decent numbers, and he has consistently erred on the side of veterans over younger guys (e.g. Alzner and Orpik over Schmidt last season, benching Orlov and Schmidt in the 2016 postseason for Chorney).

If it were a one-off statement it could be forgiven, but it's just part of a larger trend for Trotz. He's not going to change.

Reactions: RandyHolt

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Like I said, I was under the impression that Bowey was a $$$/salary-cap move, and that he will be called up and given ice time soon. So, honestly, I don't think it's worth getting too worked up about. Also, three young prospects DID make the team--Vrana, Walker, and Djoos. Vrana is going to be given a lot of ice time. It's on Walker and Djoos--far from blue-chip prospects--to make the best out of the limited ice time they receive early on, and prove they deserve more ice time over dumpster-bin vets. Isn't that how most mid-level prospects are developed once they make an NHL roster?

So, again, which ADDITIONAL young players is the organization supposed to infuse the NHL team with? There are no other blue-chip prospects in the system, and the rest of what's left doesn't look anywhere near ready (and/or an upgrade over dumpster-bin vets). I'm not a Trotz apologist, and I certainly agree with the inarguable fact that he has ALWAYS prized middling veterans over younger, unproven players. But, like, WHO else has EARNED that ice time? Which Hershey players is Trotz supposed to promote instead? Riley Barber? Travis Boyd?

Last edited:

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
What a boring team/line-up.

The season is meant to develop the team and grow players. The playoffs are there to capitalize on what you've done throughout the season and fight for the championship.

Play all vets you want in the POs. But for f***'s sake, let the kids play in the regular season. At least let them continue to "fight" for a spot and keep them on the team. Don't just put a veteran lineup because you feel the need to be "safe." Some of these AHL/NHL "vets" aren't even better than the youngins! If someone can actually explain how a guy like Bowey, for example, was "outplayed" for a roster spot over say Chorney/Ness, I'd appreciate it.

And besides, if losing guys like Ness/Chorney on waivers is really that big of a loss to the club, then perhaps WSH is in a lot worse shape than we'd like to admit.

EDIT: This got me thinking: Do we even have any rookie players this year (Not counting Djoos as he's currently the odd-D out right now)? Is Vrana still eligible for Calder? Feels like there's no youth on this team. Frustrating.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Agreed with Matty - the Bowey move is asset management, not a comment on his ability, performance, or future. And though it clearly goes against most fandom, I like the young d getting a lot of minutes in Hershey - Bowey's the only real candidate to start in Washington.

Not sure why folks wouldn't be up on Reirden's chances - brother's in demand. Finalist for both Devils and Calgary jobs, I believe. Think the Caps had to bump his pay and title to keep him from talking to folks this offseason. I think RidSi's nailed it - if Trotz leaves, it's Reirden's show.

Not sure about Vegas' cap space re: Stephenson, just saw they signed Pirri.

All in all, I'm much more concerned with who plays the most games over the season than who starts in Ottawa. And getting upset over coach-speak is...well, I find it silly.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Poor Barry - clinging to fringe NHLers over our own home grown players in the presumed effort to save his job. Nothing new really, other than it goes against the youth movement narrative I think we were told by BMac after inking Oshie etc.

Reactions: Fondue

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It seems like Caps fans are the ones thinking this is a development year, while Caps management is clearly trying to field a team they believe can still win a lot of regular season games. I won’t pretend I’m a capable NHL-level talent evaluator, but it sure is funny to see posters suggesting they know more than Trotz and company in this regard. I’ll see how the team performs before I start to sweat. I imagine a strong start will be met with silence around here by some. I also have a hard time imagining said strong start knowing we have some sulking players in leadership and who are longtime vets.

To me, that’s going to be Trotz’s biggest challenge, shaking the vets from the doldrums of another embarrassing flameout.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Poor Barry - clinging to fringe NHLers over our own home grown players in the presumed effort to save his job. Nothing new really, other than it goes against the youth movement narrative I think we were told by BMac after inking Oshie etc.

3/4 of the 4 best young prospects actually competing for a spot on the team MADE THE OPENING NIGHT ROSTER. And the only reason the fourth guy (Bowey) didn't make the team was because of a numbers crunch. And he'll be up with the big club soon.

I just...I don't understand what else you want.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
3/4 of the 4 best young prospects actually competing for a spot on the team MADE THE OPENING NIGHT ROSTER. And the only reason the fourth guy (Bowey) didn't make the team was because of a numbers crunch. And he'll be up with the big club soon.

I just...I don't understand what else you want.

I do, they want his head on a platter. Bring on the next Oates.....yipppeeee!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It seems like Caps fans are the ones thinking this is a development year, while Caps management is clearly trying to field a team they believe can still win a lot of regular season games. I won’t pretend I’m a capable NHL-level talent evaluator, but it sure is funny to see posters suggesting they know more than Trotz and company in this regard. I’ll see how the team performs before I start to sweat. I imagine a strong start will be met with silence around here by some. I also have a hard time imagining said strong start knowing we have some sulking players in leadership and who are longtime vets.

To me, that’s going to be Trotz’s biggest challenge, shaking the vets from the doldrums of another embarrassing flameout.

Yeah, thats the piece we (I think) can all see coming, as has been mentioned a few times. The team seems.....down. Its probably the best word. They certainly are not hungry. Least not yet.

I believe it will come....but it simply may not this year. We will see. Trotz job is squarely on the line, as all signs point to it. He's going to do what he thinks he needs to do, to save it.

GMBM's job shouldnt be on the line at all, so I dont foresee any Forsberg type deals for us to wring our hands about. He was *part* of the group that wanted Trotz, assumingly lead by Ted'n'Dick, so he's not going to take the fall for where they are right now. He has at least another few years left to right size the team and give it a shot.

Trotz doesnt have that luxury, and it shows. He will get 30 games to be in a "good place" for the playoffs, at most. If they arent, I think hes out as a lame ducker. If they start like 1-7-2 and look horrid, he could be out a LOT sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad