Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXV (Dog Days - Woof!) Galiev waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
That would destroy his confidence and we don't have anyone that can take his minutes in the top 6 available.

And what would that achieve anyway? His problem is about getting good enough offensively and defensively against some of the best players in the NHL - having him go up against rookies and AHLers again would make him look exceptional, but not teach him a damn thing. And he has contributed on the Tre Kronor line even if just as a shut down option.

(Although people forget Bura wasn't in our top six last season pre-Christmas when we were supposedly playing our 'best' hockey - MoJo only moved to the third line when Beagle got injured in January, until then it was largely 8-19-77 / 90-92-14. Williams is just as easily a top-6 player right now as Bura.)

If anyone on the team could benefit from a stint in Hershey right now it's Sanford, surely?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Burt just needs to keep improving. The thing that annoys me is that he appears to be a triggerman only. He never seems to create much, doesn't have great speed or defensive tenacity and seems like an average distributor of the puck.

Maybe it's a blessing and his next deal, and hopefully Kuzy's will be a little more palatable financially.

At this point I'm terrified of rewarding 92 with a monster contract.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
92 doesn't deserve a 1st liner contract at all these days.

Burakovsky needs to play in the NHL. He's likely never going to be an elite player who is consistently a 1st liner material, but he's also never getting to a steady, reliable top 6 player level if he doesn't learn how to handle NHL defenders.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
And what would that achieve anyway? His problem is about getting good enough offensively and defensively against some of the best players in the NHL - having him go up against rookies and AHLers again would make him look exceptional, but not teach him a damn thing. And he has contributed on the Tre Kronor line even if just as a shut down option.

(Although people forget Bura wasn't in our top six last season pre-Christmas when we were supposedly playing our 'best' hockey - MoJo only moved to the third line when Beagle got injured in January, until then it was largely 8-19-77 / 90-92-14. Williams is just as easily a top-6 player right now as Bura.)

If anyone on the team could benefit from a stint in Hershey right now it's Sanford, surely?

Yes, we need to send Sanford back to Hershey.
As for Bura, his best stretch of play so far in his career is when he was promoted to the 2nd line playing with Kuzy and Williams.

I'd like Trotz to shuffle the lines again. Try something like:

8-19-14
90-92-77
10-20-65
26-83-43

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Trading Orlov for some LW could be beneficial.

Orpik-Carlson and Schmidt-Bowey could handle the regular season I think.

Top-9 would be rounded up too.

Also I wonder if Ovi feels defeated deep inside. Fortunately, there is nothing much between him and wealthy HHOFer with 803+ goals with some kids to boot. That should help him play every year and be cool about it. He could even stand some rebuild or retool perhaps.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Also I wonder if Ovi feels defeated deep inside. Fortunately, there is nothing much between him and wealthy HHOFer with 803+ goals with some kids to boot. That should help him play every year and be cool about it. He could even stand some rebuild or retool perhaps.

Ovechkin has become stoic, and I don't blame him. He's tried his hardest to make this team win for the past 11 years, he leads by example but unfortunately the other guys on the team don't want to win as badly as he does. I won't name the players I have in mind because I'm going to be labelled as a hater but you probably know who I have in mind.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
...and then Alzner gets injured, and we're left with 0rpik and Shmidt as our LDs.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
...and then Alzner gets injured, and we're left with 0rpik and Shmidt as our LDs.

Firstly if Alzner got injured right now you'd have Chorney as your 3RD, if Bowey was in over Orlov then Chorney would be 3LD - I don't see what difference it'd make really.

Because, secondly, Orlov still hasn't proven he can be trusted with shutdown duties, nor actually increased minutes. If Alzner got injured now we both know Orpik would be on the shutdown pair, either with Carlson or Niskanen. Orlov isn't half the defensive player Alzner is, so I really don't see your point.

I'm doubtful Bowey's ready right now, however. I'm also dubious about how much we could get for Orlov, especially if it's a buyers market in the run up to the expansion draft. The cynic in me thinks a lot of the talk from GMBM and the coaches about how great Orlov is and how much they see him a part of their top-4 future is about talking up his trade value - note how Trotz has said nothing about Orlov's dreadful plays recently, where he was highly critical last year. But if GMBM plans on getting Alzner actually signed before the expansion draft, I can't help but wonder if part of the lengthy contract talks between Orlov and the Caps was actually about the likelihood of him getting traded/protected (hence why he only signed a 1 year deal). If Orlov proves a serviceable top-4 D in the coming months he has trade value; if he sucks or gets demoted he's less likely to get claimed.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Hypothetical - to what extent does Ovi actually need strong offensive players on his line to score at a reasonable rate? If you could have Ovi, Backstrom and Kuzy on three different lines, matchups against us would be much harder and at least one of those lines might benefit from going up against weaker opposition.

90-19-77
65-92-14
8-83-26
82-20-43

Wilson, Winnik and Beagle are, to the eye, creating some good chances and being quite dominant, and are some of our most defensively consistent forwards. Beagle has been trusted with tougher matchups in the past, so if that trio can neutralise top lines and pairs that makes life easier for Kuzy. Eller's line would likely get the easiest matchups, which might aid their lacklustre offence. Just a thought.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm a big supporter of having them on three different lines, none of them need each other to succeed. Although I'm not sure why you put OV with 2 forth liners and put Eller on the 4th. No matter what teams will send out there best defensive pair out against OV, so he should have some help.

8-20-77
90-19-65
82-92-14
26-83-43

I thought the 4th line has looked good, no reason to break them up.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ovechkin has become stoic, and I don't blame him. He's tried his hardest to make this team win for the past 11 years, he leads by example but unfortunately the other guys on the team don't want to win as badly as he does. I won't name the players I have in mind because I'm going to be labelled as a hater but you probably know who I have in mind.

Let's hear it.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Let's hear it.

Alright. First up, Marcus Johansson. Lacks grit, doesn't go to the dirty areas and he's rarely visible in the big games. Has shown little to no progress as a player in the past 3-4 years.

Next, Nicklas Backstrom. While I appreciate his sense of sacrifice and his ability to score clutch goals, he's almost too cool and too quiet when we need to be vocal and to set the example. I've never seen him light a fire under a teammate's butt.

Third, Evgeny Kuznetsov. His uninspired play in the past 40 games speaks for itself. Very talented player, but he and Johansson have similar problems. He keeps making the same mistakes and is reluctant to simplify his game to return to his usual production.

Last but not least, Brooks Orpik. Bad pinch, untimely penalties and suspensions. The fact that he has already won may have an effect on his desire to win, I don't know. Not what you want to see from a leader.

Again, they all want to win, they all care about winning. My point is that these guys aren't as competitive as Ovechkin, Holtby or Williams. These guys exemplify perseverance and determination. This is my opinion, go ahead and criticize me if you want.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can we afford to have so many in our top 6 that don't play the body in the playoffs?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Hypothetical - to what extent does Ovi actually need strong offensive players on his line to score at a reasonable rate? If you could have Ovi, Backstrom and Kuzy on three different lines, matchups against us would be much harder and at least one of those lines might benefit from going up against weaker opposition.

90-19-77
65-92-14
8-83-26
82-20-43

Wilson, Winnik and Beagle are, to the eye, creating some good chances and being quite dominant, and are some of our most defensively consistent forwards. Beagle has been trusted with tougher matchups in the past, so if that trio can neutralise top lines and pairs that makes life easier for Kuzy. Eller's line would likely get the easiest matchups, which might aid their lacklustre offence. Just a thought.

Ovechkin can do a lot with a little, but he needs to have something there. We've seen that scenario play out many times when Beagle and Aucion where his centermen with nobodies on his wing.

If you want to have him produce away from A+ people, you're better off with 8 - 90 - 43. They've at least got a little offensive touch to free him up.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovechkin can do a lot with a little, but he needs to have something there. We've seen that scenario play out many times when Beagle and Aucion where his centermen with nobodies on his wing.

If you want to have him produce away from A+ people, you're better off with 8 - 90 - 43. They've at least got a little offensive touch to free him up.

If the plan is to spread out 8, 19 and 92, this is what I would do:

8-20-14
65-19-77
90-92-43
26-83-10

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Wow...you guys are in full on doom mode already?

I see one main thing that I don't like. John Carlson is the Caps best offensive producer from the defense AND he is not a stay at home defenseman.

Watching the Oil game it was clear that Orlov is still delivering pizzas and is still having trouble with one on one defensive coverages. Carlson meanwhile has one point and is out of his element playing the Karl Alzner role with Orlov.

Alzner and Niskanen have been great. Schmidt and Orpik have been solid. Carlson and Orlov are just not making it work for either of those players. The Caps NEED Carlson to play his game more than they need Orlov to play his game. Stick Carlson with either Orpik or Schmidt let the other of the two skate with Carlson and let Carlson play.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Wow...you guys are in full on doom mode already?

I see one main thing that I don't like. John Carlson is the Caps best offensive producer from the defense AND he is not a stay at home defenseman.

Watching the Oil game it was clear that Orlov is still delivering pizzas and is still having trouble with one on one defensive coverages. Carlson meanwhile has one point and is out of his element playing the Karl Alzner role with Orlov.

Alzner and Niskanen have been great. Schmidt and Orpik have been solid. Carlson and Orlov are just not making it work for either of those players. The Caps NEED Carlson to play his game more than they need Orlov to play his game. Stick Carlson with either Orpik or Schmidt let the other of the two skate with Carlson and let Carlson play.

No not all of us. To be honest I want the Caps to fight it out the whole season and not focus on regular season achievements. What I am concerned with is Wilson. It's only October so I'll wait until late December.

KaraLupin

카라
Jun 4, 2009
Vancouver
Elliotte Friedman said:
13. Don’t get a lot of time around Evgeny Kuznetsov, but he’s a very interesting quote.
Asked before the World Cup what he worked on during the summer, he pointed to his mind.
Some of the other Capitals at the event said Kuznetsov dwells on his failures and needs to let go.
“You just have to forget,†he said. “Every day is a new life. I worked with my friends and they helped a lot and I think it gets better for here.†What did you learn? “I learned it doesn’t matter how you play. You score hat trick, you got four penalties, whatever. If your team win, you have to forget, happy. Sometimes the team win and you feel bad in the locker room because you give up a couple good chances, they score against you. I always worry about that. If you came in locker room after the game, I can’t look at your eyes, I feel bad. You have to be stronger. Hey guys, you got me today, I get you tomorrow.
I always worry about that. I worry about my linemates, if they didn’t score I think that’s my bad.†Kuznetsov said his parents worried about him because he had trouble dealing with the playoff loss to Pittsburgh. “We didn’t talk hockey all summer…End of the day, you have to win something and you have to do it for your family. I think the whole team, we’re like a family. When I say family, I mean team. That’s the problem sometimes you can score 1,000 goals but what you got?â€

I have long theorized Kuzy's slump started when Barry made our defense move up aggressively in neutral, and the C had to be back - the timing is dead on.

Barry started his Dmen doing that right after the blizzard. It didn't matter to him that we gave up odd mans all the way through game 4 at Pitt, he stuck to his guns and made the centers responsible to cover.

The slump started as he focused on D, and here we are. It's now in his head, and its up to Barry to put him in places to score. Up top is a fine start, but he needs to tell Oshie and Ovi to feed him.

Agreed. Trotz began to put pressure on the centers to be more defensive, and while it's not the best trait of his game, he naturally was self-conscious of the mistakes he made. The way he is taking it into this season, he has to realize and ACCEPT what his strengths are, and that his team not only makes the same mistakes, but he can trust them to bail him out of his mistakes. He shouldn't be afraid to play the way he was at the beginning of last season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Mojo is clutch guy. G7 assist to Ovi against Rangers has to be the best thing in his career.

Just that finishing is not his best asset.

Not his fault we don't have better finishers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad