Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXV (Dog Days - Woof!) Galiev waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I don't buy the Ov thing. Ov plays his best games in the biggest venues of which a Caps v Pens game is. Ov has fun v the Pens at VC but not in Pittsburgh?

oh now i see what you are saying. i just lurked on their board and saw some poster saying that. after checking his stats, it appears he hasn't had any points against them in the last and this regular seasons. So not only home vs away. I feel like the huge part of the Russians' game is emotions (though maybe that's apply to everyone :dunno:), something related to be free, fun and less structure. So when they are business like and serious, they might be less effective. But that's a theory and complete speculation on my part. I'm not a sport psychologist lol

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
oh now i see what you are saying. i just lurked on their board and saw some poster saying that. after checking his stats, it appears he hasn't had any points against them in the last and this regular seasons. So not only home vs away. I feel like the huge part of the Russians' game is emotions (though maybe that's apply to everyone :dunno:), something related to be free, fun and less structure. So when they are business like and serious, they might be less effective. But that's a theory and complete speculation on my part. I'm not a sport psychologist lol

Ovechkin had 7pts in 6 playoff games against them last season. I am not concerned about his scoring against the Penguins. Ov can play serious and play happy and play angry. He was determined during that playoffs. Not playful. He was excellent.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

Anatoli Tarasov just rolled over in his grave. lol

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Didn't see it posted but per Isabelle, the Capitals rolled with 8-92-65 and 90-19-77 as the new top 6 in practice this morning.

Really interested in seeing how the top line works out. Ton of scoring ability but let's see if they have some chemistry. Also it looks like the second line will surely be the shutdown line with Oshie being better defensively than Burakovsky. Also I'm happy that they are trying new combinations early in the season. Hopefully Trotz doesn't get bogged down with static combinations like he did last year.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Didn't see it posted but per Isabelle, the Capitals rolled with 8-92-65 and 90-19-77 as the new top 6 in practice this morning.

Really interested in seeing how the top line works out. Ton of scoring ability but let's see if they have some chemistry. Also it looks like the second line will surely be the shutdown line with Oshie being better defensively than Burakovsky. Also I'm happy that they are trying new combinations early in the season. Hopefully Trotz doesn't get bogged down with static combinations like he did last year.

A stronger, more aggressive Bura on the top line will be interesting.

And if that's our 2nd line, how many in the league are more talented?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I wonder if the thinking here is that so long as lines 1 and 3 are scoring, we're good with line 2 being an elite shutdown that contributes when it can? The issue there is I'm still not convinced 82-20-14 is gelling yet, nor an upgrade on Chimera-Beagle-Wilson offensively (considering 2 and 4 are getting the harder defensive tasks so far). I feel like sooner or later we'll see Beagle get more ES TOI - but that might require swapping Williams with Bura or MoJo to get back a LW (if Beags takes 3RW). Sanford at 4C for a few games might not be awful.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Tampa and Chicago, arguably. Although that line might be better than either of those teams 1st lines.

I wonder if the thinking here is that so long as lines 1 and 3 are scoring, we're good with line 2 being an elite shutdown that contributes when it can? The issue there is I'm still not convinced 82-20-14 is gelling yet, nor an upgrade on Chimera-Beagle-Wilson offensively (considering 2 and 4 are getting the harder defensive tasks so far). I feel like sooner or later we'll see Beagle get more ES TOI - but that might require swapping Williams with Bura or MoJo to get back a LW (if Beags takes 3RW). Sanford at 4C for a few games might not be awful.

Re: 3rd line.

Me neither but that line has rookie with no previous pro experience and guy that was recently acquired in it, so they propably just need more time, no matter what line they are in on. I don't think we'll see them swapping Sanford with Beagle any time soon, because then Sanford is playing very limited minutes. Beagle still gets decent minutes overally because of his big role on the PK, and defensive draws late in the games.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I think Bura on the top line is mostly good for Kuzy. He's surrounded by two fast skaters. Both wingers are snipers, and the one on his left gets all the attention from the opponents when he's on the ice.

Bura and Kuzy will have a ton of open ice to work with.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think Bura on the top line is mostly good for Kuzy. He's surrounded by two fast skaters. Both wingers are snipers, and the one on his left gets all the attention from the opponents when he's on the ice.

Bura and Kuzy will have a ton of open ice to work with.

And hopefully Oshie might score more because, playing with two great passers, he won't feel like his job is to feed Ovi.

That said, Kuzy and Bura are successful at D only if they're playing a high possession game - whereas Ovi's game is to shoot at the net at every opportunity. Without a strong defensive forward on that line I can't imagine they'll be playing much with Orlov and Carlson, surely? Though pairing them with Alzner-Niskanen takes them away from line 2. IDK - maybe it'll be more balanced?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Keep in mind that Trotz works with pairs of forwards. 65 and 92 have been a pair that he likes to keep together. Meanwhile Trotz likes to use Backstrom as a shutdown line.
Johansson Backstrom Oshie is a shutdown line.

Going into a road trip where Trotz doesn't have control of the matchups, he now has 2 shutdown lines with Backstrom and Beagle. Eller and Williams can hold their own as well. Defensively he only needs to manage the first line.

That's my read on what is going on there. Its about defense for the road trip

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Me neither but that line has rookie with no previous pro experience and guy that was recently acquired in it, so they propably just need more time, no matter what line they are in on. I don't think we'll see them swapping Sanford with Beagle any time soon, because then Sanford is playing very limited minutes. Beagle still gets decent minutes overally because of his big role on the PK, and defensive draws late in the games.

Beagle and Wilson appear to be one of those pairs Trotz is working with. Are not 83 and 43 a pk pair?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Yes they are.

They were a PK pair before Beag's injury last season, but the PK now seems to be:

83-26
20-43
19-77
Plus Williams and/or Johansson for longer penalties or if the above aren't available.

If anything I'd say 83-26 were the fourth line pair now. I don't think the 'pairing' thing is too significant though, as we already know Ovi will play with both Kuzy and Nicky this year, and Bura and Oshie have just been flipped. I also don't sense from training camp and preseason that MoJo was expected to be top-6 - that may have more to do with Williams being a good anchor for the newbie and the rookie than anything.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Not reading much into any line combos until we get past Thanksgiving at the very least, and even then it's the lead-up into the playoffs where it really starts to matter. I'm glad they're tinkering now to try and find options. It's not about maximizing any one line so much as maximizing the team's results as a whole. Sometimes that means building 4 lines you can roll, other times it means stacking up 1 or 2 lines and letting the other two simply be placeholders for your special teams and situational players. Whatever achieves the maximum results.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Isn't Wilson usually with Winnik on the PK?

I think that its 83 and 43 because I remember the numbers like that. I checked the pk when Winnik got hit in the ear and Beagle was out with him, but when they showed the bench looking on they scanned the lenth of the bench and Wilson wasn't there. I am guessing he was in the box. So....

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think that its 83 and 43 because I remember the numbers like that. I checked the pk when Winnik got hit in the ear and Beagle was out with him, but when they showed the bench looking on they scanned the lenth of the bench and Wilson wasn't there. I am guessing he was in the box. So....

It doesn't make much of a difference, they all kill penalties the same way. Only little difference is on face-offs, where the Cs and Oshie have an advantage over Wilson and Winnik.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not reading anything into line combos until game 1 of the 1st round. It's a yearlong audition for everyone. Experiment at will.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Glad to see them testing the waters. Early in the season, we have a long break between games, not a bad time. I wouldn't mind seeing these lines go for a couple games, switch it up, ect.. Find what works best. Also will help with knowing what is really needed (what will honestly make a difference) at the TDL.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
BTW...I think Sanford is already playing limited minutes where he is. In the last game both Beagle and Wilson skated more es toi than Sanford plus pk toi.

Agreed, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a rookie this early in his NHL career.

So far the 4th line guys average ~9-10 minutes of ES time per game, whereas Sanford averages ~12 minutes per game. That would propably be too much of a drop-off for him. Much rather just send him down than demote him, if things get to that point.

Plus i don't see them moving Beagle or Eller on the wing either. Beagle's best assets are his FO ability and defensive play. For Eller that's not just going to happen because Trotz was just telling last month that Eller struggled last season because Therrien moved him around constantly and that he would be the 3C in this team. Hard to see them dumping that idea few games into the season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The only thing I don't like is Williams not having proven LW on his line. Other than that we are stacked with players.

Also. ****ing Mackan. No talk about trading him so far. It's a sign he does something right :P

So far, yeah.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Like I mentioned, I'm fine with changing the lines to see what works best. But I hope Trotz doesn't forget about what works like he did last season.

Last season the team started with 8-92-77/90-19-14 as the top 6 (when Backstrom returned to the lineup) and that was probably the best hockey the team played all year. But Trotz didn't go back to these lines at all near the end of the season for reasons I can't comprehend.

Similarly, 8-92-77/90-19-65 has worked very well for 5 games. A 3-1-1 record isn't anything to write home about, but they have played well at even strength and if it weren't for poor special teams play the team could have an extra point or two in the standings. He needs to remember this combination works later in the season so he can try it again and have it as an option come playoff time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed, but that's not necessarily a bad thing for a rookie this early in his NHL career.

So far the 4th line guys average ~9-10 minutes of ES time per game, whereas Sanford averages ~12 minutes per game. That would propably be too much of a drop-off for him. Much rather just send him down than demote him, if things get to that point.

Plus i don't see them moving Beagle or Eller on the wing either. Beagle's best assets are his FO ability and defensive play. For Eller that's not just going to happen because Trotz was just telling last month that Eller struggled last season because Therrien moved him around constantly and that he would be the 3C in this team. Hard to see them dumping that idea few games into the season.

This early in the season I look at TOI trends more than averages. Wilson and Beagle played 7mins and 5mins in the first game and are playing 11 plus estoi since while Sanford has both been scratched and logged fewer estoi than those two in his last game.

My view is that for Trotz the 3rd and 4th lines are interchangeable depending on opponent. Often the Beagle line is the actual 3rd line.

It will be interesting to see how it develops

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Like I mentioned, I'm fine with changing the lines to see what works best. But I hope Trotz doesn't forget about what works like he did last season.

Last season the team started with 8-92-77/90-19-14 as the top 6 (when Backstrom returned to the lineup) and that was probably the best hockey the team played all year. But Trotz didn't go back to these lines at all near the end of the season for reasons I can't comprehend.

Similarly, 8-92-77/90-19-65 has worked very well for 5 games. A 3-1-1 record isn't anything to write home about, but they have played well at even strength and if it weren't for poor special teams play the team could have an extra point or two in the standings. He needs to remember this combination works later in the season so he can try it again and have it as an option come playoff time.

you are the stats man. can you show the percentage of kuznetsov's even strength points scored while with Ov and away from Ov? My memory is that kuzy thrived as a 2nd line center, free of the top defense pair and shutdown checking line of the opposition. That was the Caps advantage last season. They got team leading scorer scoring off their second line. That they lost that in the playoffs was what beat them. You seem to be saying that he did most of his damage with Ov.

Can you fill that in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad