Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXV (Dog Days - Woof!) Galiev waived

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Puck Luck was certainly in the Pens favour, as I've stated many times. That turning around would have also meant a different series result (or heck, even being EVEN would have done it).

BUT THATS THE WHOLE FRIGGING POINT (not towards you, towards everyone).

Caps lost due a variety of reasons that had nothing to do with the roster, the make up of the team, the coaching, or injuries.

**** happens in sports. I would wager same Caps team under the same circumstances would NOT have the same results. This isn't a "definition of insanity moment". I'm happy with the team's moves this summer (most seem not to be), and am comfortable with where they stand. Jiri Hudlor or no Jiri Hudler.

"That is the question...to Jiri or not to Jiri?"

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The point you seem to be downplaying is that most of us agree that there's a huge luck component to the series loss, but there's no point worrying about what you can't control. Improve what you can control (tactics/philosophy and roster talent) in order to maximize your chances for success and mitigate potential runs of bad luck. Theoretically if you control the puck the entire game no amount of luck will cause you to lose. Sure, it's not practical to prevent the opponent from ever having the puck (or never be subject to bad bounces), but the more they control it the less subject to randomness they will be.

Why say they are good enough when there are/were obvious upgrades to make them even better? "We like our team"

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
:facepalm:

Matt Murray
.886 LOSS
.842 LOSS
.867 LOSS
.885 LOSS
.857 LOSS
And three more games spent on the bench as a back-up to both Jeff Zatkoff and Marc-Andre Fleury

Variance is a fact of life when you consider goaltending. No goalie is going to post stellar stats every single night. Not even Conn Smythe or Vezina winners. For reference, starting goaltenders that can provide quality starts 60% of the time in the regular season are usually top 10 in that category. Braden Holtby posted a .750 QS% in the playoffs. Of the goalies that escaped the first round (ie played more than 5 games), only Ben Bishop posted a higher QS%. Matt Murray was at .667 and Martin Jones was at .625

The only stat that ultimately matters for MM is this. 21 starts, 15 WINS.

Don't waste everyone's time trying to explain goalie variances....winning matters and he did.

remind me again is this a reason or an excuse you're lobbing to defend the goaltending in a few crucial games? Seems like you're excusing poor to average play. You're trying to excuse goaltending from the list of things that went wrong against the Pens. Can't have it both ways.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You guys have lost your minds. Blame anyone but not Holtby. To have these kind of stats in the playoffs while playing through an injury is borderline heroic. When your goalie is injured, the skaters have to pick up the slack for him and shelter him. Our offense got completely outclassed by the Pens' offense.

Blame Kuzy and Burt for not producing like they should have.
Blame Trotz for not being as good as Sullivan to coach offense and to shuffle the lines.
Blame GMBM for not seeing the flaws in the roster, although everyone here agreed that our roster was the best it could possibly be at the TDL.
Blame the leaders of the team for not pressing the panic button when the team had 30 consecutive slow starts and allowing the team to coast its way to the PT after an incredible first half.

Just don't blame Holts, he did everything that was in his power for us to win. Just watch the goals the Penguins scored against us. Many of them, Holts was hung out to dry.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You guys have lost your minds. Blame anyone but not Holtby. To have these kind of stats in the playoffs while playing through an injury is borderline heroic. When your goalie is injured, the skaters have to pick up the slack for him and shelter him. Our offense got completely outclassed by the Pens' offense.

Blame Trotz for not being as good as Sullivan to coach offense and to shuffle the lines.
Blame GMBM for not seeing the flaws in the roster, although everyone here agreed that our roster was the best it could possibly be at the TDL.
Blame the leaders of the team for not pressing the panic button when the team had 30 consecutive slow starts and allowing the team to coast its way to the PT after an incredible first half.

Just don't blame Holts, he did everything that was in his power for us to win. Just watch the goals the Penguins scored against us. Many of them, Holts was hung out to dry.

You've missed the point entirely. He was part of a list of things for the Caps that went wrong in the Pens series. You know what any coach or player or GM says in playoffs? "You have to find a way, to make the crucial save, score the crucial goal"....etc....(if you want to win a championship).

You're either the solution or and even if it's just for a game or 3, you were part of the team failing in that series.

This isn't about blaming Holtby or anyone. This team goes nowhere without him. This is about opening people's eyes who are close minded about the MANY reasons the team failed again and the many different solutions that could be tried to fix it.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
You've missed the point entirely. He was part of a list of things for the Caps that went wrong in the Pens series. You know what any coach or player or GM says in playoffs? "You have to find a way, to make the crucial save, score the crucial goal"....etc....(if you want to win a championship).

You're either the solution or and even if it's just for a game or 3, you were part of the team failing in that series.

This isn't about blaming Holtby or anyone. This team goes nowhere without him. This is about opening people's eyes who are close minded about the MANY reasons the team failed again and the many different solutions that could be tried to fix it.

Holtby wasn't part of the problem at all. He maybe let in one bad goal in 6 games. He was fantastic and probably the best overall goalie in the entire playoffs.

The issue is Caps can't score in the playoffs b/c they have relied too much on the top lines doing it all. Depth and secondary scoring has been the teams issues for like 5 straight playoffs now. They haven't beein the top half of goal scoring in the playoffs in 5 staright playoffs and avg right around 2 goals per game in that time. NO ONE is winning playoff series that way. Only reason Holtby is even .500 in his career is b/c he's phenomonal and has a under 2 gaa.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Tell me, what can we fix about Holtby? There's nothing to fix, he's the best or second best goaltender in the world right now.

When you look at the winning team, their goalie is far from perfect. It takes a team to win the Cup, when one player falls or struggles, the other picks up the slack for him. Same thing goes with a goalie playing through an injury, the defense in front of him has to step up. The top 4 stepped up their game, but the 3rd pairing negated the top 4's increased effort.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Can't wait for hockey to start.

Seriously..I'm ok with statistical arguments and regulars/post season postmortems for a month and then I'm done. And hilariously no one has convinced anyone to move from their position/opinion.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Seriously..I'm ok with statistical arguments and regulars/post season postmortems for a month and then I'm done. And hilariously no one has convinced anyone to move from their position/opinion.

Couldn't agree more, hurry up hockey. This place is borderline unbearable in the off-season sometimes lol.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Tell me, what can we fix about Holtby? There's nothing to fix, he's the best or second best goaltender in the world right now.

When you look at the winning team, their goalie is far from perfect. It takes a team to win the Cup, when one player falls or struggles, the other picks up the slack for him. Same thing goes with a goalie playing through an injury, the defense in front of him has to step up. The top 4 stepped up their game, but the 3rd pairing negated the top 4's increased effort.

He needs to be at or near his best if this team wants to win a Cup. At least arguably he wasn't in 3 games against the Pens. There's no fixing him, he needs to elevate his level of play to his capability in the most crucial games just like his teammates. Without that, this team doesn't hoist the Cup, end of story IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Holtby wasn't part of the problem at all. He maybe let in one bad goal in 6 games. He was fantastic and probably the best overall goalie in the entire playoffs.

The issue is Caps can't score in the playoffs b/c they have relied too much on the top lines doing it all. Depth and secondary scoring has been the teams issues for like 5 straight playoffs now. They haven't beein the top half of goal scoring in the playoffs in 5 staright playoffs and avg right around 2 goals per game in that time. NO ONE is winning playoff series that way. Only reason Holtby is even .500 in his career is b/c he's phenomonal and has a under 2 gaa.

Again we're talking 3 games in one series and he wasn't under 2 gaa in them. Nobody is doubting his chops, just that he, like his teammates must be better in the most important games or this team doesn't advance. Champions don't often put in 'good enough' performances....usually a bit more is required from your key positions.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He needs to be at or near his best if this team wants to win a Cup. At least arguably he wasn't in 3 games against the Pens. There's no fixing him, he needs to elevate his level of play to his capability in the most crucial games just like his teammates. Without that, this team doesn't hoist the Cup, end of story IMO.

On this we can agree, we have to cross our fingers that everyone is at their best when the playoffs start.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
This is stupid. The Caps aren't the New York Rangers. They have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Oshie, Alzner, Carlson, Niskanen and good support players. The Sharks didn't get to the finals by turtling in front of Martin Jones and the Pens didn't have Murray Halak anyone. If the only way for them to win a cup is for Holtby to be the best goalie in the world every game they're not winning a cup ever.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I wouldn't change Holtby. He didn't have his best game in a loss.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

This

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Holtby needs to be better. Kuznetsov needs to be significantly better. Same with Burakovsky. Backstrom needs to have a dominant #1C type playoff run...something that as he gets older is probably increasingly unlikely. Orlov and Schmidt have to be at least decent rather than a liabiility. Orpik needs to be disciplined to be effective in his role. Depth players need to show some level of second effort. The top two D pairs need to be able to do more than just reactively shut down the opposition. The group as a whole needs to dictate the terms of play rather than remain at a gentlemanly stalemate. Trotz and his staff need to impart the necessity of that level of urgency on a more tactical level regardless of whatever breakdowns that may result while adjusting in the regular season. Their offensive habits at even-strength must improve, especially against teams that have an equal amount of pace and structural discipline.

A fantastic goaltender is the easiest route to a deep run, or at least historically that's been the case. You don't see it as often in the past decade and I would generally hazard against relying on anything easy if you're looking to be the best. There are no shortcuts.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I say again, how do we know Holtby wasn't playing way over his head given his physical condition? People are asking for more but maybe he was already giving more than most could under the same circumstances.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am not going to lie I hate when players play injured and hurt their team.

Playing with 1 arm, the warrior Mike Green was better on the PP than both other RD, that actually scored goals in that series.

Maybe that's true. Pitt's backup goalie for example had no such problems. And this is not about Holtby; MM was just an easy example.

Common rule is all the regulars play all through the playoffs no matter what.... I just don't think that is the key to a cup; certainly not for a team with any depth.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I say again, how do we know Holtby wasn't playing way over his head given his physical condition? People are asking for more but maybe he was already giving more than most could under the same circumstances.

Concur. Hence my original statement that his injury was one of the reasons we lost to the Pens.

Not really sure why that is such a blasphemous comment?

crazy8888

Sep 8, 2010
Brooklyn NY

I disagree. I don't blame Holtby for their loss this year, not much anyway. I put more blame on Trotz and secondary scoring. Kuz playing on at least half of the level he was on during the regular season could have been enough to tilt the series the other way.

As far as how much blame Hotly has in all of this....look i know that his numbers looked good. I know that most nights he looked really solid and kept the team in the game on occasion or two. But did he steal any games at all this postseason? Its arguable but in my opinion he did not steal a single one. Murray stole at least 2 for the pens that i saw. Thats the difference right there. Hotly was solid the whole post season. But he was not phenomenal in any of the games. If he could have stolen game 4 or game 6, this series could have went a different way.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Again we're talking 3 games in one series and he wasn't under 2 gaa in them. Nobody is doubting his chops, just that he, like his teammates must be better in the most important games or this team doesn't advance. Champions don't often put in 'good enough' performances....usually a bit more is required from your key positions.

The guy has THE BEST SAVE PERCENTAGE AND GOALS AGAINST AVERAGE IN THE HISTORY OF THE NHL IN THE MODERN ERA.

He is anything BUT a issue.

The kid has a 1.87 gaa and a .937 saver percentage in his career - and past two years had a 1.71 and 1.72 GAA with a .944 and .942 save percentage in 25 games. That's literally all-time great... you can't blame Holtby one bit for the Caps playoff struggles.

The issue is simple... Caps have a goalie giving them a almost .950 save percentage and around a 1.7 GAA and can't win over half their games... That's 100% an offensive/scoring issue.

Holtby's stats should literally have him as a 75%+ winning percentage goalie b/c of how incredible hes been (Again, all-time great). The fact he's 22-24 with these numbers is downright atrocious and completely the front office's fault for not getting better offensive capable players for when the playoffs start and teams amp up to the next level. Playoff goals/game is very on par with regular season goals per game - except for the Caps... They drop off big time and have avg'd 2 goals per game ONLY in like the past 100 total playoff games. NO GOALIE is winning a Cup with that kind of support. NONE. This is why the Caps having the biggest addition of adding Eller is a face palm to a lot of fans. Caps had maybe the most healthy roster going into the playoffs this year - and still couldn't score b/c the bottom 9 did nothing just like they always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad