Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I got bored and did a little looking to see where caps scouts have been. They've seen a lot of the kings, Canadiens and flyers and also spent a few games in Utica (Canucks ahl team)

Obviously there's more and all of these could just have been normal scouting too

yea, they just played montreal and the kings. the flyers might be collapsing so seeing them might be trade oriented. hard to imagine snider/Snyder agreeing to tank though

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
this is my point. If you want to upgrade Wilson or Schmidt, would you really want to spend Vrana or Bowey to do that?

If you want to upgrade Williams, what are you saying about the team if a guy can be on pace for 25 goals and get demoted? Which roster player has to go to make room fpr that kind of upgrade? Do you really want to move two roster players around or out and send out your best prospect? Does that add up?

Yes, the Caps given the right circumstances could trade Vrana. If Carlson or Niskanen took a major out for the season injury, I could see one of those prospects going to bring in a replacement. But that is the only scenario that I see where the Caps would get the kind of player that Bowey or Vrana would buy

Yeah there's no way Williams could be slid down to the 3rd line without a bad message sent. I mean last year the Pens put Kessel on the 3rd line and that totally crushed him and the rest of that team and they didn't win a cup with on the strength of their 3rd line and a Conn Smythe level performance from Kessel or anything

The Wicker Man

Cup or Shut Up
Nov 25, 2015
Russia
I got bored and did a little looking to see where caps scouts have been. They've seen a lot of the kings, Canadiens and flyers and also spent a few games in Utica (Canucks ahl team)

Obviously there's more and all of these could just have been normal scouting too

Flyers? Hope they are scouting Del Zotto

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah there's no way Williams could be slid down to the 3rd line without a bad message sent. I mean last year the Pens put Kessel on the 3rd line and that totally crushed him and the rest of that team and they didn't win a cup with on the strength of their 3rd line and a Conn Smythe level performance from Kessel or anything

To be fair, there's nowhere to really slide Williams -- he'd likely be a downgrade both on the 3rd and the 4th lines, nothing against him, but his counterparts fit the identity of these lines better at the moment. Unless Caps dare to do an experiment with the 4th line -- but I can't see Trotz doing that and risk the one line that still tries to play his beloved heavy game, haha.

So you could maybe get a marginal upgrade on the 2nd line, but not really the nice domino effect.

Anyway, who would be available that would be a clear upgrade on Williams? Need a smart player with a (better) motor, I think.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
To be fair, there's nowhere to really slide Williams -- he'd likely be a downgrade both on the 3rd and the 4th lines, nothing against him, but his counterparts fit the identity of these lines better at the moment. Unless Caps dare to do an experiment with the 4th line -- but I can't see Trotz doing that and risk the one line that still tries to play his beloved heavy game, haha.

So you could maybe get a marginal upgrade on the 2nd line, but not really the nice domino effect.

Anyway, who would be available that would be a clear upgrade on Williams? Need a smart player with a (better) motor, I think.

I think would also have to be a clear up grade on mojo if we have to put him back at center with a injury

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

The Pens put Kessel on the 3rd line because he couldn't get anything going with Crosby or Malkin. There were not bumping a guy with 20 goals at the 55 game mark down a line.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
totally forgot that. but the point stands. flyers aren't likely to sell

They should, they're going nowhere with garbage defense and goaltending. Their best offensive D is watching from the press box after a sensational rookie season last year. They're stupid if they don't sell.

What do they have to gain from making the playoffs? A 1st round exit in 4-5 games against us?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They should, they're going nowhere with garbage defense and goaltending. Their best offensive D is watching from the press box after a sensational rookie season last year. They're stupid if they don't sell.

What do they have to gain from making the playoffs? A 1st round exit in 4-5 games against us?

respect of their fan/customer base. Teams don't decline the last playoff spot. In Philly that fan base is conditioned to always making an off season splash even when it might be to their advantage not to. They are conditioned to make the playoffs. They don't rebuild. They retool. Flyer fans are conditioned over a long period of time that they go for it.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
With each passing game it is becoming harder and harder to make any sensible case of upgrade on our starting lineup.

It's not even a question anymore that Eller+Connolly>>>>>>>Richards+Chimera

Slotting the D by giving Orlov more TOI and easing the minutes of Orpik has helped as well.

Depth D is the only choice

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm wondering when the talks to resign players starts. I realize with the expansion draft it might be weird, but they do have a number of players who need deals.

I would also think pretty soon (if not already) Connolly has priced himself out of the picture. Especially if they want to keep Oshie.

Jun 15, 2007
Offseason trade idea:

Send Grubauer and Orpik to Carolina for a low pick.

Use Orpik's money to sign Oshie or Alzner. Have Vanecek back up Holtby.

Thoughts?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Offseason trade idea:

Send Grubauer and Orpik to Carolina for a low pick.

Use Orpik's money to sign Oshie or Alzner. Have Vanecek back up Holtby.

Thoughts?

If Holtby gets runover in the crease and concussed and the Caps go 20 games without him, where are they with Grubauer and where are they with Vanecek?

I don't think you trade Grubauer until you cant keep him anymore.

I think Orpik really brings a lot to the room. They cant afford to lose both Orpik and Alzner in the same off season. If trading Orpik means being able to keep both Alzner and Oshie, I would do it. I would trade Johansson to keep Oshie.

I would not mess with Grubauer unless there was no choice

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
The Pens put Kessel on the 3rd line because he couldn't get anything going with Crosby or Malkin. There were not bumping a guy with 20 goals at the 55 game mark down a line.

He had stuff going with Malkin before Malkin went down

Jun 15, 2007
If Holtby gets runover in the crease and concussed and the Caps go 20 games without him, where are they with Grubauer and where are they with Vanecek?

I don't think you trade Grubauer until you cant keep him anymore.

I think Orpik really brings a lot to the room. They cant afford to lose both Orpik and Alzner in the same off season. If trading Orpik means being able to keep both Alzner and Oshie, I would do it. I would trade Johansson to keep Oshie.

I would not mess with Grubauer unless there was no choice

I think the chances of Grubauer staying beyond this season are quite slim.

Either he's taken in the expansion draft or he requests a trade. No one wants to be a backup forever. With his stats, he'll want to be on a team with a chance of supplanting the starter.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Zach Sanford recalled.

Kuznetsov got slashed and Beagle blocked a shot and was hobbled. Hopefully neither are injured because the timing of the recall is curious.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the chances of Grubauer staying beyond this season are quite slim.

Either he's taken in the expansion draft or he requests a trade. No one wants to be a backup forever. With his stats, he'll want to be on a team with a chance of supplanting the starter.

If he is smart, he wants as much Korn as he can get. Certainly not to go to a team without an opening for a #1.

Jun 15, 2007
If he is smart, he wants as much Korn as he can get. Certainly not to go to a team without an opening for a #1.

I would say Grubauer would have a good chance of being the starter in Carolina. Lack sucks and Ward is a mediocre goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad