Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Expand on this? What determines this $3.5 mil walk away point?
It's 12.10(a) in the CBA and varies based on the amount of cap increase from the first season of the current CBA to the latest figure. The initial walk away number was $3.5M so for last summer it was ~$3.64M.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's 12.10(a) in the CBA and varies based on the amount of cap increase from the first season of the current CBA to the latest figure. The initial walk away number was $3.5M so for last summer it was ~$3.64M.

They won't qualify him if it means he gets $3 mil in arbitration IMO. barring a massive finish to the season and Cup run mind you. ;). Best bet is to try a 2 year extension at a reasonable price.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Can't really compare the players... Schultz wouldn't hit a fly and Orpik is always clearing the crease and making hits

I like orpik - I'm just saying - +/- is more of a team thing. You never see wild card team players leading in +/- and stuff.

It's great he's doing well - but he's still injury prone and a guy you have to worry about taking the bad penalty at a bad time.

...... he's also the physical presence that is needed on a cup winner though too, but what do I know?

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The fact that he hasn't missed a game and has been solid all season, I would be ok with looking at offers in the off season. I don't think we could get a higher option then after this year.

The real question is can you find the right buyer. Need a team with a young defensive core that just needs solidifying for a year or two, and has the cap room.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Before we ink Connolly to a fat raise, BMac needs to ask Barry what system will he be running for the duration of his contract.

I don't think BCon is much of a grinder and asked to score grinding, as the backbone of our offensive philosophy, he will likely underachieve - like in November. I like his Fehrish game, but systems sometime can dictate stats cough Jeff Schultz. Fool me once.

Almost everybody on offense looks like a good fit for this system right now. Daniel Winnik is Wayne Gretzky behind the net, because the system dictates a passing outlet is headed to the net.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Connolly shouldn't be getting a fat raise from anyone, unless he has a dominant playoffs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They won't qualify him if it means he gets $3 mil in arbitration IMO. barring a massive finish to the season and Cup run mind you. ;). Best bet is to try a 2 year extension at a reasonable price.
Well, he wouldn't get $3M in arb. unless he has a massive finish and scores another 15 goals or so. Somewhere around $2M for two years could be workable. That brings him to UFA status but gives him some security to continue to develop in DC. So many decisions depend on how they finish but for now the third line's chemistry means they have to be kept together. Trotz putting Beagle in the top six rather than break them up suggests he agrees.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Do the Caps have any untouchable prospects?

Realistically I could see Vrana as the only one but even then I don't think he is entirely untouchable especially for an all in season

Anyone?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do the Caps have any untouchable prospects?

Realistically I could see Vrana as the only one but even then I don't think he is entirely untouchable especially for an all in season

Anyone?

Find a player the Caps would trade Vrana or Bowey or Seigenthaler for and then put together a deal that fits under the salary cap and doesn't disrupt the team.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Find a player the Caps would trade Vrana or Bowey or Seigenthaler for and then put together a deal that fits under the salary cap and doesn't disrupt the team.

That doesn't by any means make them untouchable. Especially around the deadline we hear of teams saying which prospects are untouchable I can't remember there ever being a prospect with the Caps that fits that description

Jun 15, 2007
Not to beat a dead horse but...FF should have been untouchable...

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Don't think anybody is untouchable, but I would agree that there are no glaring holes to fix. Amazing, if you think about it.

Can argue about upgrading individual players, but chemistry concerns make it tricky. Can't believe that apparently I agree with txpd on that one.

Theoretically, I would want to upgrade Wilson, Winnik, but even these guys are working pretty well together, where it would take a real good player to be confident that things would improve. Boyle, yes -- btw, Caps don't have a 2nd pick this year, right? Not to complain, Eller looks quite good now, but too bad.

Would be great to add a top-6 player that can tilt the ice, in case the top-6 struggles... but it seems too tricky on many levels -- who is even available that would be a clear upgrade over say Mojo/Williams, how would it not cost an arm and a leg, who to demote and why... A Vanek sounds not bad in a vacuum, but what do you do with him if you get him? lol.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think Vrana is a good option in case of injury at the wing but the Capitals really could use another option at center in case of injury. Sanford and Stephenson seemed ineffective and I don't really trust either of them to be able to play center, even 4C. It was mentioned earlier but I think someone like Brian Boyle would be a good add at the deadline and it wouldn't break the bank. Tons of playoff experience with NYR and TB and can be trusted in a defensive role, along with being a decent net-front presence.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this is my point. If you want to upgrade Wilson or Schmidt, would you really want to spend Vrana or Bowey to do that?

If you want to upgrade Williams, what are you saying about the team if a guy can be on pace for 25 goals and get demoted? Which roster player has to go to make room fpr that kind of upgrade? Do you really want to move two roster players around or out and send out your best prospect? Does that add up?

Yes, the Caps given the right circumstances could trade Vrana. If Carlson or Niskanen took a major out for the season injury, I could see one of those prospects going to bring in a replacement. But that is the only scenario that I see where the Caps would get the kind of player that Bowey or Vrana would buy

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
I'll hop on the Brian Boyle bandwagon as well. Substantive add, but not too disruptive to the lineup. Shame we don't have our 2nds, cause that's probably what Tampa would want.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'll hop on the Brian Boyle bandwagon as well. Substantive add, but not too disruptive to the lineup. Shame we don't have our 2nds, cause that's probably what Tampa would want.
Yep. Their best non-first package is probably, what, a third in 2018 and a C prospect? A third in 2018 and their fourth in 2017? That won't hunt on most highly-valued rentals. Maybe a Hershey forward like Boyd, Stephenson, Walker or O'Brien has marginal value as a throw-in if they're not in their plans. Hobbs might be the best prospect I'd move, mostly due to handedness/rawness.

The smaller asset base and strong chemistry among regulars is why I only expect them to add depth and most likely a defender as-is. Someone in the neighborhood of Nick Schultz, Jordie Benn, Zach Redmond, Taylor Fedun or Paul Postma that shouldn't cost much at all.

CapsYeti12

Mar 5, 2015
What about Cody Franson as defensive depth at the Trade Deadline? He has got good numbers this year and could help us. I think Caps won't make any big move. And Radim Vrbata to the offense? I don't want to loose anyone from our current roster. Vrbata and Franson could cost us at best draft picks plus some low level prospects.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
You'd rather roll with a perimeter, rookie forward than trade for a legit player? With the Caps window screeching shut?

Okay.
No lets trade for another depth guy that will be out of the league next year. Not use the high level player in our own system with a nice shot and speed

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
The "window" . It's an interesting thing. I understand that the "window is open" it means it's the best possibility for you to win the Cup.
But it's NOT the ONLY possibility.

Ok we will lose some players and maybe our window to win another Presidents Trophy will close but c'mon, we won't fall apart and be the last team in the standings. And do you know, you can win the Cup even if you finish in WC2 spot?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I got bored and did a little looking to see where caps scouts have been. They've seen a lot of the kings, Canadiens and flyers and also spent a few games in Utica (Canucks ahl team)

Obviously there's more and all of these could just have been normal scouting too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce