Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXIV (Arbitration Season)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If you were trying to win this year, you would trade Backstrom for the kid?

Sure. He could absolutely out perform Nick. And the obvious piece is that McDavid and Kuznetsov extend out the window substantially.

But it's a pipe dream. Edmonton won't trade McDavid....it would be a trade remember almost as badly as the Erat/Forsberg deal. McDavid is going to be That Good. And again, I love Nick.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Sure. He could absolutely out perform Nick. And the obvious piece is that McDavid and Kuznetsov extend out the window substantially.

But it's a pipe dream. Edmonton won't trade McDavid....it would be a trade remember almost as badly as the Erat/Forsberg deal. McDavid is going to be That Good. And again, I love Nick.

I don't think Edmonton would trade McDavid for Ovi AND Backstrom....

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
If you were trying to win this year, you would trade Backstrom for the kid?

McDavid had 34 even strength points in 45 games. Backstrom had 40 in 75. McDavid is a far better player right now and it's not particularly close. McDavid should be the Art Ross favorite for next year.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
McDavid had 34 even strength points in 45 games. Backstrom had 40 in 75. McDavid is a far better player right now and it's not particularly close. McDavid should be the Art Ross favorite for next year.

Ehhh, I wouldn't say "Far better" player. Remember, Backstrom is elite defensively and shut down arguably the top two centers in the East these playoffs.

McDavid is a very good player - but I don't think It's fair to say he's already FAR BETTER than Backstrom. For one, power play points still matter. Two, Edmonton plays all offense with basically all their top players being offensive players. Washington plays a much more disciplined game.

With the past two years hes had - I still think Kane is no doubt the favorite for the Art Ross as well.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
[/I]

you mean that purely offensively. i doubt seriously that his all around game is even better. But sure. points. ok. There's more to winning than just offensive points stats.

but...it aint gonna happen. so lets move on

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
There's nothing about McDavid's game that makes me believe he won't be at least good defensively, and he's already a top 5 offensive player after his rookie season (and will likely be the best next season). It's not a criticism of Backstrom, it's just that I think McDavid is going to be the best player in the NHL starting next season.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Crosby is the only guy on that list I'd consider trading Nicky for. #19 is a generational talent.

Mr McPhee, please step back for some perspective. ;)

Backstrom is not a generational talent...he's the good all star level player below that IMO.

Pretty sure that Caps Management doesn't have the balls to do something that major anyway....keeping Nicky is the safe "let's keep the regular season attendance up" move.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Boy Backstrom sure is overrated by some on here. He's a solid 2 way center who'd be getting 60-65 points without Ovechkin, and if he could skate a little faster it sure would help. And he's not some elite 2 way center like Bergeron, Toews and Kopitar that's a ridiculous exaggeration. The only elite thing about Backstrom is his passing. Top 10C is fair, but lets stop comparing him to Crosby and McDavid.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
wow...the underrated backstrom is now overrated. how much longer before he is a whipping boy on a bad contract?

Backstrom is a 60-65 pt players without Ovechkin. Ok. At the same time Ovechkin is a 40 goals scorer without Backstrom.

If speed seperates true elite centers from Backstrom in the post season, how was it that Backstrom outperformed Giroux and Crosby when matched up head to head this post season?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
So MoJo looks like it's going to be a one year deal - and he'll be a free agent next year.

This basically means it's going to be almost impossible to sign MoJo considering they weren't close on a deal past two years - and his value is basically very low now as he could just be a rental?

Looks like we are just going to end up keeping him and he'll be gone next year? Is that what everyone else is thinking at this point?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So MoJo looks like it's going to be a one year deal - and he'll be a free agent next year.

This basically means it's going to be almost impossible to sign MoJo considering they weren't close on a deal past two years - and his value is basically very low now as he could just be a rental?

Looks like we are just going to end up keeping him and he'll be gone next year? Is that what everyone else is thinking at this point?

How is his value gonna be low? He's a 20 goal 50 point player. Heck Troy Brouwer got us Tj oshie and Brouwer was in his final year

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I guess unless we see him traded...I expect he walks for nothing. Some things appear to have not changed.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
How is his value gonna be low? He's a 20 goal 50 point player. Heck Troy Brouwer got us Tj oshie and Brouwer was in his final year
But Brouwer wasn't a creampuff and the Blues specifically seemed to want a bigger power forward type than Oshie. There typically aren't teams every off-season looking to move a player of that level for structuring or fit reasons. It's hard to figure any team at this point being willing to move a better player than 90 for stylistic reasons. While he's fast, and that's maybe as valuable as ever, he doesn't really use it aside from back-checking and PP entries/retrievals.

Best case maybe they could get a Cogliano type that fits better on the third line (aside from PP1 role). As-is they seem content to continue to pay largely for PP1 duties and vague "versatility" despite a lack of 5-on-5 fit or PK role, asset management and the PP's record of not coming through at crucial moments over the years. Not that that last one is on him alone but the first three areas should have led to making a move. Maybe they're banking on him breaking out in a contract year and reaping the benefits regardless of longer-term impacts. He's bound to have better linemates than he did last year for the most part but I wouldn't bet on a back-against-the-wall Johansson. If he was going to break out in a big way it would have happened already. They know what he is and it's not really a premier third-liner all-around. He's more versatile than a typical third-liner in some ways but not enough. He's just convenient short-term depth barring something that makes them much bigger believers.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

I'm not talking about how he is as a player - just his circumstances. Players about to become a UFA usually have a lot less value than those who are signed for multiple years.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Honestly, after letting Green, Semin, Fehr, Ward etc. go for free, I'd be happy with any return for Johansson. Skilled speedy versatile forwards are at the peak value now in the NHL, and outside of Trotz system he could possibly use those qualities more. Too bad we can't trade his rights now (we can't, right?) to save ourselves a headache.

And Backstrom isn't a generational talent or more valuable than McDavid, haha.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Honestly, after letting Green, Semin, Fehr, Ward etc. go for free, I'd be happy with any return for Johansson. Skilled speedy versatile forwards are at the peak value now in the NHL, and outside of Trotz system he could possibly use those qualities more. Too bad we can't trade his rights now (we can't, right?) to save ourselves a headache.

And Backstrom isn't a generational talent or more valuable than McDavid, haha.

I am not worried about losing UFAs for nothing as long as their cap space is used well.
I am not inclined to feel the need to trade pending ufa's entering the final year of their contract when ufa eligible.

Has anyone said that Backstrom is more valuable than McDavid?

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
are we really talking about trading backstrom for mcdavid? october, please come right now

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I would give serious consideration to a Nick Backstrom and Marcus Johansson trade to the Rangers for Derek Stepan and Chris Kreider. This would be a David Poile type of move.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Too bad we can't trade his rights now (we can't, right?) to save ourselves a headache.
There are no trade restrictions. See also continued talk that Colorado may move Tyson Barrie.

@TimWharnsby: Alex Killorn & #TBLightning settle: 7 yrs at $4.45m/season.

Killorn, like Johansson, was a year away from UFA. Killorn has never out-pointed Johansson in any regular season. Killorn's playoff productions blows Johansson out of the water, though. The deal also reportedly includes a modified NTC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad