Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I wouldn't expect more than one rookie on the playoff roster next year, if any, barring massive injury issues.

The only exception I can see to that is if we trade away Grubauer (either for TDL acquisitions, because of the expansion draft, or both) - but I think it's unlikely we would trade him, unlikely Vanecek would be ready, and unlikely we would replace Grubi with a rookie of any stripe. But it's possible.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
People probably thought Schmidt was ready, and he wasn't. Shouldn't he have been by now, with all the grooming he got along side Carlson when Orpik was out injured.... Next man up.

My complaint with Schmidt, was there was no battle quotient. He was just... there. Holding on for dear life. I didn't see experience as his shortfall. It was more a lack of size strength and determination. I think he threw one hit the entire season. So he gets dropped from my prediction for a year from now. How much more of a drop off could there be with the best Hershey has to offer? Bowey is more the warrior type which I think will make up for problems like inexperience.

Orlov for all his shortfalls, is thick hits and can provide offense. But he needs to be allowed to have an offensive role; when doing so in the first 4 months of the RS, he had proven to be net positive, or, even at worse.

Never fear the prospects. I am sure many thought Carlson wasn't ready for his first playoffs. He wasn't even supposed to be here. Alzner failed at RD and Carlson got the early surprise call up, and he and Poti looked great. He never left. Bowey and Carlson seem cut from the same mold.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
People probably thought Schmidt was ready, and he wasn't. Shouldn't he have been by now, with all the grooming he got along side Carlson when Orpik was out injured.... Next man up.

My complaint with Schmidt, was there was no battle quotient. He was just... there. Holding on for dear life. I didn't see experience as his shortfall. It was more a lack of size strength and determination. I think he threw one hit the entire season. So he gets dropped from my prediction for a year from now. How much more of a drop off could there be with the best Hershey has to offer? Bowey is more the warrior type which I think will make up for problems like inexperience.

Orlov for all his shortfalls, is thick hits and can provide offense. But he needs to be allowed to have an offensive role; when doing so in the first 4 months of the RS, he had proven to be net positive, or, even at worse.

Never fear the prospects. I am sure many thought Carlson wasn't ready for his first playoffs. He wasn't even supposed to be here. Alzner failed at RD and Carlson got the early surprise call up, and he and Poti looked great. He never left. Bowey and Carlson seem cut from the same mold.

On the other hand Orlov is far more experienced than Schmidt is, and Schmidt only played for three or four weeks with Carlson before Orlov-Schmidt was the second pairing with Carly out injured.

I doubt either Schmidt or Orlov will ever have Niskanen's defensive abilities or consistency, or Carlson's offensive ability. But I'll be surprised if they don't both end up full time second pairing D-men on one team or another.

Also the Schmidt hit count argument is a little weak - he's credited with 14 hits in 10 playoff games (Orpik was 14 in 6, and Mike Weber 3 in 2GP). While I agree he can't be relied upon to clear the crease or be the dominant physical D-man, this is more an issue of a 'skills' imbalance in your D roster than a fault of any one player.

Some other interesting comparisons: Schmidt was credited with 7 shots in 10GP, Orlov 5 in 11. Both had a single assist each (on the same PP goal) and no goals. Schmidt ended -3, Orlov +-0. Their TOI/G was roughly comparable (as was Chorney's).

Final interesting point to mention is that it was Chorney who took was bumped up to play with Nisky when Alzner went down - not Orlov, despite being back on the third pair.

At the end of the regular season and during the playoffs, Schmidt wasn't as defensively capable as he was for most of the season, and Orlov wasn't offensively capable as he was for most of the season. Neither failed, neither especially succeeded. We need what both of them offer, and we need them both to be better.

Both players, overall, had positive seasons in my view and their positives outweighed the negatives. Given that Schmidt had a tougher job overall this season (more top-4 minutes, PK time and almost no PP time, having to cover for Orlov at times...) despite having played fewer games before the start of the season (68 compared to Orlov's 119), and played fewer games through this regular season, I think Schmidt is owed at least as much patience as Orlov is.

Edit: Oh, and Isabelle Khurshudyan said that Troy Mann's (Hershey head coach) thoughts on Bowey sounded similar to how Trotz describes Orlov - only Orlov is operating at the NHL level, Bowey at the AHL level. So essentially, if you're arguing Bowey is Hershey's best D (I don't think that's true), then the difference is with Bowey you'd get someone with Orlov's defensive liabilities (likely exaggerated in the NHL) without his offensive spark.

And Ness was the guy on top of the depth charts in Herhsey for call ups - I wouldn't be surprised, despite Bowey's long term upside, if he doesn't top the depth chart in Hershey next season either (though I'm sure will get a game or two).

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I didn't get that sense from Mann myself. Maybe early in the season Bowey hadn't found that balance yet but from what I've seen he's done that and is probably predictably enough erring too much on the side of being sound defensively. He's been arguably their most physical defenseman along with Lewington. Whether Bowey is the first call-up depends on the handedness and role needed, with Lewington as the primary righty alternative as things currently stand. Who knows whether Ness returns or quite how their blueline looks next year. I'd at least keep Stanton around as he seems a pretty ideal partner for Bowey.

The thing with all of Bowey, Vrana, Stephenson and Walker is they're the best skaters in Hershey on top of their other skills so from that limited standpoint it's not hard to figure they could work themselves into being options before you know it. They all have things to work on in the meantime, though, whether it's physical strength or more consistent offensive assertiveness.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Good stuff Hectic. I count hits, by memorable hits. Unfortunately, the NHL definition is simply not the same as my own.

Maybe HB11 or the other local Hershey vets can chime in, Carlson, before his final callup to the bigs, how was his game compared to Bowey's this year?

I cannot recall a single person suggesting Carlson was ready. No one was penciling him into the playoffs as I speculate today on Bowey a year from now.

As far as prospects handling goes that sequence of events - making Alzner a risk taking RD and it failing, to Carlson getting an early promo and never looking back, was rather telling in that no one predicted it. I am still pissed they tried to change Alzner before letting him find his NHL footing. We could have used him at LD vs Montreal instead of the beanpole.

About Carlson and that Monty series losing goal, I still contend Green bears the lions share of fault allowing himself to get bum rushed in the corner. Others contend it was Carlsons fault, playing LD for maybe the only time the entire year- that shift, no doubt to be aggressive in the offensive zone as Bruce was in full on can't score panic mode.

Eventually, with so much $$$ spent at the top, the kids have to play. If the kids we have show regression, next man up. We no longer have time to nurture the same kids we need to be able to pinch hit in the top 4, year after year.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yea, it gets you a cookie. Defensemen that can create offense are harder to come by. Gets you two cookies. As for jack in the post season. That is a function of experience or lack there of. Those were his first ever playoff games.

Enjoy your cookies, I'd rather have a Cup.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Without intending any offense, I do wonder about the wishful thinking on this board with regards to Vrana, Bowey et al. Most people here argue Orlov and Schmidt weren't experienced enough, and therefore good enough, to handle third pair duties by themselves. Burakovsky, Wilson and Kuznetsov have been defended on the basis of inexperience, age and/or immaturity in their development.

What is it about Vrana, Barber and Bowey's single season of AHL play that leads people to think they're ready to play (to a contender-team standard) in the NHL already?

Exactly....a team who thinks they're close doesn't suddenly infuse and heavily rely on youthful inexperience and still have a mindset to win the Cup. We have young and EXPERIENCED guys who folded in the postseason, so I can't see adding more inexperience.

Vrana should get some callup duty, Bowey too, but that's about it barring a catastrophic injury fest....

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Good stuff Hectic. I count hits, by memorable hits. Unfortunately, the NHL definition is simply not the same as my own.

Maybe HB11 or the other local Hershey vets can chime in, Carlson, before his final callup to the bigs, how was his game compared to Bowey's this year?

I cannot recall a single person suggesting Carlson was ready. No one was penciling him into the playoffs as I speculate today on Bowey a year from now.

As far as prospects handling goes that sequence of events - making Alzner a risk taking RD and it failing, to Carlson getting an early promo and never looking back, was rather telling in that no one predicted it. I am still pissed they tried to change Alzner before letting him find his NHL footing. We could have used him at LD vs Montreal instead of the beanpole.

About Carlson and that Monty series losing goal, I still contend Green bears the lions share of fault allowing himself to get bum rushed in the corner. Others contend it was Carlsons fault, playing LD for maybe the only time the entire year- that shift, no doubt to be aggressive in the offensive zone as Bruce was in full on can't score panic mode.

Eventually, with so much $$$ spent at the top, the kids have to play. If the kids we have show regression, next man up. We no longer have time to nurture the same kids we need to be able to pinch hit in the top 4, year after year.

Carlson capably slid right into an NHL role about as easily as you'll ever see a young guy. Watching him in the Worlds you could tell he was close to ready. Bowey doesn't seem like he's on that level. Hopefully I'm being too cautious.

You're a little harsh on Schmidt while seemingly giving Orlov a pass because you love his physicality. You mention Schmidt "holding on for dear life", well I felt the same way for Orlov, Chorney and Weber. Schmidt at least to these eyes seemed the most reliable making the safe steady play....the others, more of a crapshoot.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
As far as the Carlson vs. Bowey debate goes I would say they have a lot of similarities. Bowey at this point is a more physical defenseman than Carlson was in Hershey but Carlson's offensive game was good enough that he stepped in from day one and didn't miss a beat. Carlson was the better player his first year in terms of how well he did stepping into a huge role right before going into the CC playoffs. Bowey took a little bit to get adjusted and now you are seeing Mann and Helmer's coaching and Bowey's development finally starting to take off a bit.

Bowey hasn't shown that flashy offensive game like he did in juniors very often either so I found it surprising that they compared him to Orlov. Maybe they are comparable in terms of Bowey being able to jump into the rush and be able to use his speed and awareness to get back into positioning but Bowey has yet to get the PP minutes that guys like Carlson, Orlov, and even Schmidt got in their first seasons in Hershey.

Overall I would say Bowey spends most of the year in Hershey next season and maybe gets a cup of team in the NHL just to judge his development. I fully expect him to be a top pairing guy next year, as he essentially was a top pairing guy with Stanton before the playoffs started and the Ness-Lewington pairing started gelling

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
then why did you ask about the cookie in the first place?

Cookies = you trotting out meaningless regular season stats when the ultimate measuring stick is the postseason and the player under debate puked all over himself almost nightly in said postseason.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Of course Rick Nash is available — as is everyone in the organization other than Henrik Lundqvist, Brady Skjei and Pavel Buchnevich. The Rangers, we’re told, are prepared to listen to offers for everyone.

That includes Ryan McDonagh, Derek Stepan, Derick Brassard, Chris Kreider and Kevin Hayes, each player’s availability, of course, will be dependent upon the exchange rate in return. But nothing is off the table.

I doubt the Caps and Rangers would be trading partners given they are rivals but it's an interesting conversation on certain players

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
As far as the Carlson vs. Bowey debate goes I would say they have a lot of similarities. Bowey at this point is a more physical defenseman than Carlson was in Hershey but Carlson's offensive game was good enough that he stepped in from day one and didn't miss a beat. Carlson was the better player his first year in terms of how well he did stepping into a huge role right before going into the CC playoffs. Bowey took a little bit to get adjusted and now you are seeing Mann and Helmer's coaching and Bowey's development finally starting to take off a bit.

Bowey hasn't shown that flashy offensive game like he did in juniors very often either so I found it surprising that they compared him to Orlov. Maybe they are comparable in terms of Bowey being able to jump into the rush and be able to use his speed and awareness to get back into positioning but Bowey has yet to get the PP minutes that guys like Carlson, Orlov, and even Schmidt got in their first seasons in Hershey.

Overall I would say Bowey spends most of the year in Hershey next season and maybe gets a cup of team in the NHL just to judge his development. I fully expect him to be a top pairing guy next year, as he essentially was a top pairing guy with Stanton before the playoffs started and the Ness-Lewington pairing started gelling

Do you think the lack of offensive flash is just him trying to establish his defensive game first and he could start showing more as he should be comfortable next year? You're not seeing a good shot, first pass, stick handling ability? No flashes at all?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt the Caps and Rangers would be trading partners given they are rivals but it's an interesting conversation on certain players

I wonder if we could pull off another Ridley/Miller type trade?

Who would be the Carpenter going the other way?

Those are some intriguing names.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA

it's concerning that GMBM said Bowey still makes a lot of errors. We saw what errors Schmidt was making in the playoffs. Chorney made mistakes in playoffs. Orlov made mistakes in the playoffs. All cost the team games.

If Caps expect to roll w/ a 3rd line pairing of Orlov/Schmidt again the Caps are in trouble regardless if they add two good third line guys. People get hurt end of year. Carlson was hurt playing a lot less minutes than other true #1 D guys in teh NHL... Alzner was hurt... Orpik was hurt half the year. You need to be deeper and can't have 1/2 your defense being young guys that are more prone to making mistakes than doing something good. You can win a series like that... but not 4 of them.

Caps need to do more than tweeking. You can't go from winning just 1 series for a decade to winning 4 series by making some minor changes to a 3rd line. There's always another team trying to go big like Pitt did this year w/ Kessel, Bonino, Schultz, etc. Always a team willing to trade a 1st rd pick or prospects to win now and get a lot better.

I'd still love to see a big time prove it win now move. GMBM has said for years the window was this year and next year.... Yet moves really haven't proven it. Gaining Oshie and Williams while losing Fehr, Ward, Brouwer, and Green isn't anything to really show me they're trying to get BETTER. It just seems like they keep trying to put together a puzzle a different way but if a puzzle is missing 1 or 2 pieces it's never going to be finished.

The thing is... Kuzy, Wilson, Latta, Burro, Orlov, Schmidt, Bowey, Vrana, etc.... That's all great. But if one of them needs to move down the depth chart or sit this year - oh well, next year there will be spots for all of them. This year just needs to be about giving the Caps best chance to win. This means sorry Beagle who was told he'd get 3C... I'm sure he'd understand.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
As far as the Carlson vs. Bowey debate goes I ....

Thanks much - you (and LGB) are THE authority on anything Hershey, and you always offer up great detail via a fair and objective analysis... e.g. it's never obvious who your favorite player is. Bowey has a full year to continue to focus more on defense, and hopefully gets a sniff with the big club so he can see where he is in his development. These token games granted to developing players I think are very important. It also keeps them motivated, and in the rare event they are needed come playoff time in an emergency, they have already lost their.... Hockginity.

Yeah I am a bit harsh on Schmidt but for his skill set, think he should be contributing more to offense, to get the most out of him. Hence why I lean towards Orlov more forced to choose one. Based on BMac's recent comments, he too seems to prefer Orlov in a bigger role. Both were shaky in the playoffs sure, but we need a 5 that we can depend on. The 5 was Schmidt IMO, and next year it appears Orlov has the early lead.

Bowey is my long shot but just needs to win the coaches trust to play a steady game. He seems like he made a big improvement there thus far... steady growth is all us fans want. No one likes to see our prospects / young players regress... although I blame coaching for some of it, I saw it on our backend this spring.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No....He was a rookie. this was his first full nhl season and his first playoffs. so. no.

Rookie... he was a regular in our lineup all fall 2013. He has had 70 NHL games before this past season even started. I am not sure what defines a rookie technically, but never heard anyone but you declare him a rookie.

If this is the final year of our current window, I am simply not sure I have seen enough to warrant no changes on our backend. He regressed, lets not sugar coat what happened in 2016. Barry specifically said his scratches were not injury related, which is rare to hear. If he has that much upside and is simply just young, his value will be recognized in any trade by a real GM.

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Without intending any offense, I do wonder about the wishful thinking on this board with regards to Vrana, Bowey et al. Most people here argue Orlov and Schmidt weren't experienced enough, and therefore good enough, to handle third pair duties by themselves. Burakovsky, Wilson and Kuznetsov have been defended on the basis of inexperience, age and/or immaturity in their development.

What is it about Vrana, Barber and Bowey's single season of AHL play that leads people to think they're ready to play (to a contender-team standard) in the NHL already?

Well, for one is its not like they're jumping from junior leagues to the big leagues. AHL is an american style of play, they've seasoned in it and are doing well. Now, its not like I expect any to jump right in and be top line elite level players but they've certainly shown they can at least handle an NHL style game.

With Vrana/Bowey, I question how big the moves will be able to make this year are. Almost every cup team needs cheap young talent to produce to win a cup and they seem to fit the bill. Bowey coming up at all really depends on what they do on defense, I just expect (and hope) that one of Vrana and Barber will prove enough to get bottom 6 time next year as they continue to progress.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Well, for one is its not like they're jumping from junior leagues to the big leagues. AHL is an american style of play, they've seasoned in it and are doing well. Now, its not like I expect any to jump right in and be top line elite level players but they've certainly shown they can at least handle an NHL style game.

With Vrana/Bowey, I question how big the moves will be able to make this year are. Almost every cup team needs cheap young talent to produce to win a cup and they seem to fit the bill. Bowey coming up at all really depends on what they do on defense, I just expect (and hope) that one of Vrana and Barber will prove enough to get bottom 6 time next year as they continue to progress.

Vrana is a first rd pick who is putting up about 1 point/game in AHL - and doing it pretty consistently. First rd picks are picked that high b/c of potential. Caps have hit home runs w/ first rd picks - so there's reasons to be optomistic there.

i don't think you can compare Schmidt to Bowey/Vrana/Orlov. Schmidt never had "top 2 D" or "top 6 forward" type hype around him like Bowey/Vrana/Orlov do. I can agree w/ you that Barber is maybe on the level of Schmidt in terms of his potential.

If you don't have potential to be a very good player - you need to at least be CONSISTENT.... that's the issue w/ Schmidt. If what you're hoping for is just average and he's not giving you average from time to time - you might as well try someoen that can give you great that doesn't give you average from time to time.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
No....He was a rookie. this was his first full nhl season and his first playoffs. so. no.

Schmidt wasn't a rookie. He just looks like a rookie. That's the issue. He had experience with plenty of games the past two years before this. Only rookies on Caps this year that played were Galiev, Stephenson, and Brown. Schmidt has 140 career games played already and in the playoffs was still a liability.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Do you think the lack of offensive flash is just him trying to establish his defensive game first and he could start showing more as he should be comfortable next year? You're not seeing a good shot, first pass, stick handling ability? No flashes at all?
This was my initial reaction. It seems like the Hershey coaches know the offensive ability is there but they wanted Bowey to improve his play in his own zone first which is great. Haviland never did that with Carrick he kind of just let him loose and they never really gave him tough matchups which is why IMO he struggles in his own end and is great in the offensive zone.

As far as his offense goes, he does have a good shot it's just you don't see a lot of it. Chris Bourque, Ness, Djoos, Carrick, and Boyd have all had more PP time at the points than Bowey has so it's not like we've been able to see a lot of his shots. He gets himself in a good position to get quality shots off but Hershey's offensive zone scheme is all about possessing the puck and getting quality scoring chances. They don't care if they get outshot every night.

His passing and decision making has come a looonnngggg way from the start of the year. You could tell by his body language and his obvious mistakes he was a rookie. I think Bowey and Djoos getting games here and there at the beginning of the year to get acclimated helped them to round out those kinks. His passing is a lot better but there's still room for improvement on his decision making. He likes to hold onto the puck a lot and sometimes panics when pressured which leads to a turnover. It's mainly just rookie mistakes that are more common in young D.

it's concerning that GMBM said Bowey still makes a lot of errors. We saw what errors Schmidt was making in the playoffs. Chorney made mistakes in playoffs. Orlov made mistakes in the playoffs. All cost the team games.

As I said above, you have to remember that he's just a kid and plays D. Defense is one area that shouldn't be rushed and Washington is in the position to allow Bowey to develop his game in the AHL instead of throwing him into the fire and expecting him to round out the mistakes and kinks in his game on the fly. I think the Caps are learning from Tom Wilson that trying to make a guy an NHL player at such a young age doesn't always work regardless of where they are drafted and how high their ceiling is. Bowey has a high ceiling but there's still a fair amount of work to be done before he's a full time guy.

Thanks much - you (and LGB) are THE authority on anything Hershey, and you always offer up great detail via a fair and objective analysis... e.g. it's never obvious who your favorite player is. Bowey has a full year to continue to focus more on defense, and hopefully gets a sniff with the big club so he can see where he is in his development. These token games granted to developing players I think are very important. It also keeps them motivated, and in the rare event they are needed come playoff time in an emergency, they have already lost their.... Hockginity.

Yeah I am a bit harsh on Schmidt but for his skill set, think he should be contributing more to offense, to get the most out of him. Hence why I lean towards Orlov more forced to choose one. Based on BMac's recent comments, he too seems to prefer Orlov in a bigger role. Both were shaky in the playoffs sure, but we need a 5 that we can depend on. The 5 was Schmidt IMO, and next year it appears Orlov has the early lead.

Bowey is my long shot but just needs to win the coaches trust to play a steady game. He seems like he made a big improvement there thus far... steady growth is all us fans want. No one likes to see our prospects / young players regress... although I blame coaching for some of it, I saw it on our backend this spring.

Spot on. Troy Mann constantly says how him and his staff preach month by month improvements from the young guys and they definitely have shown that so far. I think it is smart to not rush Bowey and let him get another season under his belt before making the jump.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Vrana is a first rd pick who is putting up about 1 point/game in AHL - and doing it pretty consistently. First rd picks are picked that high b/c of potential. Caps have hit home runs w/ first rd picks - so there's reasons to be optomistic there.

i don't think you can compare Schmidt to Bowey/Vrana/Orlov. Schmidt never had "top 2 D" or "top 6 forward" type hype around him like Bowey/Vrana/Orlov do. I can agree w/ you that Barber is maybe on the level of Schmidt in terms of his potential.

If you don't have potential to be a very good player - you need to at least be CONSISTENT.... that's the issue w/ Schmidt. If what you're hoping for is just average and he's not giving you average from time to time - you might as well try someoen that can give you great that doesn't give you average from time to time.

I don't get what you were commenting on. I was just responding to the question as to why we can have some hype about Vrana, Bowey, and/or Barber. About the only thing i disagree with about Schmidt is the hype. He was a well regarded NCAA FA who was said to have top 4 potential, but wasn't a big name because he wasn't drafted.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe

I think Mac sees a greater potential upside in Orlov than he does Schmidt - but that's because Orlov has the potential to be special, not just solid. He also hopes Orlov will be able to reduce Orpik's minutes in the coming years, which is an odd thought given Orlov isn't as defensively capable as Orpik (God help us.), can't PK to save his life, and isn't geared to be a stay at home D-man which is one of the main reasons we signed Orpik to begin with. Orlov really hasn't shown that much to make me think he'll be a smart, responsible D-man, which is essential unless you can partner him with an Orpik type, or long for the days of top pair Mike Green...

I think you'd see more offense from Schmidt if he was partnered regularly with Niskanen, Orpik, Alzner or Chorney, because he could take more risks and join the rush more. When your partner is predominately Carlson or Orlov - known for flashes of offensive brilliance - the coaches expect you to be a bit more responsible.

I'd also point out that GMBM talking up Orlov's upside may have as much to do with trying to sow seeds in other GM's heads that Orlov is young, not a 'project', ahead of potential trades to ensure you don't lose key investments in the expansion draft...

Rookie... he was a regular in our lineup all fall 2013. He has had 70 NHL games before this past season even started. I am not sure what defines a rookie technically, but never heard anyone but you declare him a rookie.

If this is the final year of our current window, I am simply not sure I have seen enough to warrant no changes on our backend. He regressed, lets not sugar coat what happened in 2016. Barry specifically said his scratches were not injury related, which is rare to hear. If he has that much upside and is simply just young, his value will be recognized in any trade by a real GM.

Schmidt was a playoff rookie, which is significant in itself, and by far our least experienced D-man. Don't forget Schmidt's previous two seasons were hit by significant injuries, time as a healthy scratch, and time in Hershey. This was Schmidt's first full year in the NHL too.

And Schmidt will still be cheap, Chorney will still be cheap - the question is why anyone thinks we'd be better off with Bowey in our contender team than Schmidt or Orlov? We don't need to improve on our regular season strategy particularly - that wasn't the problem, and Schmidt, Chorne and Orlov all excelled beyond anyone's expectations for most of the regular season. If that trio won't be good enough for next year's playoffs, then it's because we need to bring in someone with a different skill set, and/or someone with a proven playoff record. Given what happened to 88, 9, 65 and 92, and how Galiev failed to find his offensive footing all year long, the idea of Bowey being an improvement on Schmidt or Orlov in the regular season - let alone the playoffs - at this point in time would take something of a miracle.

Schmidt wasn't a rookie. He just looks like a rookie. That's the issue. He had experience with plenty of games the past two years before this. Only rookies on Caps this year that played were Galiev, Stephenson, and Brown. Schmidt has 140 career games played already and in the playoffs was still a liability.

It was, however, his first playoffs (along with Orlov), and Orpik and Orlov were also liabilities at times. As were young Ds for the Flyers and Pens, as the Capitals management has pointed out. GMBM also spoke of how Orlov and Schmidt both lost their confidence - be it because of their mistakes, getting benched or boxed, or all of them - while Trotz spoke of how Chorney's experience and maturity helped his game. Orlov and Orpik both had significantly more than 140 games under their belts, so explain how they can be making mistakes, by that logic?

This board seems to be going through phases of jumping on a single player as the key weakness in the team, when logic would clearly suggest it was a problem that spanned much further than anyone player (including coaching and, perhaps, GMBM). Trade Mojo. Trade Ovi. Trade Backstrom. Get rid of Chorney. Trade Burakovsky just to get rid of Orpik.

But, bizarrely, given Orlov all the time in the world because he could turn out to be special. Give Kuznetsov PP1 and 1C time to be unproductive for even more of each playoff game.

This is the team that allowed the second-lowest goals against all season (and, ironically, would have been tied if the forwards could get a single goal against Anaheim...), and was a single OT goal away from evening the series in round two. Orlov, Schmidt, Chorney and even Orpik aren't our major problem (and an unproven AHL D-man with 0 NHL GP is not the solution...). That our second, third and fourth lines could not score even strength goals, when the Flyers and Pens could - that's our problem. Upgrade two or three of the current bottom six and we could still be in the playoffs right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad