Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What do you propose?

Carlson and Orpik were out for extended periods of time this season and somehow they managed to kill penalties and play defense. And seeing as Wilson was a "9th, 10th" forward last year and MacLellan specifically said he was looking to upgrade that position in the offseason, how can you be so sure he'll start on the 3rd line?

PK. Sure. They used Niskanen, Alzner, Schmidt and Chorney when both 74 and 44 were out. Orlov watched.

Wilson: Go to MacLellan's post season presser. He was speaking on the subject of upgrading the 3rd line. He talked about the kind of player they needed. He said they also needed a net front presence player that would be Wilson. He said getting his offensive game to the level they needed it to be was "on us" to get done.

Thats why

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
If Caps can re-sign their players, then is everyone on board with them basically protecting these players? ANyone disagree on some of them?

3 D:
Carlson
Alzner
Niskanen

F:
Ovi
Backstrom
Kuzy
Burro
Oshie
Johansson
Wilson

G:
Holtby

Due to Las Vegas only being allowed to take one player I think this is the route to go. You want to keep the players with the most trade value IMO. You don't want to give them up for nothing. I actually believe Beagle is more valuable than Johansson - but in terms of a player leaving the Caps - I think Johansson brings more value than Beagle, so letting Beagle walk isn't the worst thing.

Orpik would be great to go - but it isn't going to happen. LV is going to be able to pick from 90 starters in the NHL on defense - and a lot of them will be top 4 quality. They're not going to take on a bad contract.

Orlov is a possibility too - but we'll see.

Schmidt I wouldn't mind losing at all. I don't think he's a NHL type player built for the playoffs. I think when things get more tough, more physical, and more wore down, he faulters.

If we are resigning players, then Williams should be considered.

I'd keep Beagle over Wilson, personally. C over W.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Without knowing who the Capitals are going to extend to new contracts, it's hard to know who to protect. While it's certainly possible Vegas uses a pick on a UFA-to-be, I find it far less likely than them picking a player they would have team control over. Especially given the requirement Vegas has to pick 20 players currently under contract.

So the 2017 UFAs are Alzner, Oshie, Williams, and Winnik. Probably a no brainer that Winnik is left unprotected. So that leaves Alzner, Oshie, and Williams as players the Capitals could gamble with leaving unprotected (assuming none are signed by that point) in the hopes Vegas passes on them in favor of players with team control remaining.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I expect the Capitals to have extended Alzner and Oshie well ahead of time. Once a player is as close to July 1 as that expansion draft will be, they are going to take advantage of the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->