Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
doing your best to keep Wilson a 4th liner? I guess the flaw in this entire argument is "If Trotz gives his approval." Sure, if Trotz says he wants the guy, sure. Of course that's the rub. He very likely wouldnt

I'm doing my best to win a Cup in our current window. I love Wilson but Radulov is a better player than he is and he'd cost nothing but cap space.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
doing your best to keep Wilson a 4th liner? I guess the flaw in this entire argument is "If Trotz gives his approval." Sure, if Trotz says he wants the guy, sure. Of course that's the rub. He very likely wouldnt

Until Wilson proves otherwise, he's a 4th liner. Besides we have Beagle and Wilson on the 4th line right now and I don't see you complaining.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Until Wilson proves otherwise, he's a 4th liner. Besides we have Beagle and Wilson on the 4th line right now and I don't see you complaining.

Are they? Beagle and Wilson played more than Chimara, Burakovsky, Winnek and Richards. At even strength they played more than Chimera, Richards and Winnek. In the playoffs

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm doing my best to win a Cup in our current window. I love Wilson but Radulov is a better player than he is and he'd cost nothing but cap space.

and so are BMac and Trotz. Where this year they started with Wilson up the lineup and adding him to special teams. Come next season I would fully expect they will give him an off season work plan and he will continue to work on those assignments and he will again be pushed up the lineup with his responsibilities increased.

I just don't see the Caps moving Wilson down the lineup for a cheap reclamation project like Radulov.

edit: Wilson is a purveyor of the kind of play the Caps its want to play. They won't plan on dropping his minutes to regular season 4th line duty

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
and so are BMac and Trotz. Where this year they started with Wilson up the lineup and adding him to special teams. Come next season I would fully expect they will give him an off season work plan and he will continue to work on those assignments and he will again be pushed up the lineup with his responsibilities increased.

I just don't see the Caps moving Wilson down the lineup for a cheap reclamation project like Radulov.

edit: Wilson is a purveyor of the kind of play the Caps its want to play. They won't plan on dropping his minutes to regular season 4th line duty

"Reclamation project" :laugh:

Radulov was near a PPG last time he was in the NHL, and has finished top-2 in the KHL in scoring the past two seasons (both years he lead in the league in PPG).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

What the hell are you talking about? Radulov a cheap reclamation project? You mean Radulov one of the most prized free agents who would bump everyone down the Capitals' depth chart including Oshie?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
"Reclamation project" :laugh:

Radulov was near a PPG last time he was in the NHL, and has finished top-2 in the KHL in scoring the past two seasons (both years he lead in the league in PPG).

One of two things is true. He is going be cheap or he is going to be not cheap.
If he is cheap, as some are suggesting, it wont be as a sure thing top 6 offensive player. disagree? if he is cheap it will be because he is a risk

If he's not cheap, the Caps cant afford him.

If he is one of the most prized UFA's, the Caps cant afford him and aren't interested in bumping Oshie down the depth chart. IMO

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Are they? Beagle and Wilson played more than Chimara, Burakovsky, Winnek and Richards. At even strength they played more than Chimera, Richards and Winnek. In the playoffs

so now Chimera is a 4th liner? Either way Trotz runs all 4 lines, so I don't understand you're fear of having a good 4th line.

And for your post above, it would more likely bump down Williams. It seems like this is about not wanting Radulov and not about having too much depth, which is a much more understandable stance.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Assuming Radulov can play LW and Chimera prices himself out of Washington:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Radulov-Kuznetsov-Williams
Burakovsky-Richards/Mojo-Wilson/Mojo
Winnik-Beagle-UFA/Wilson

or

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Radulov
Burakovsky/Mojo-Backstrom-Williams
Burakovsky/Mojo-Richards-Wilson
Winnik-Beagle-Latta/Galiev/X

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Assuming Radulov can play LW and Chimera prices himself out of Washington:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie
Radulov-Kuznetsov-Williams
Burakovsky-Richards/Mojo-Wilson/Mojo
Winnik-Beagle-UFA/Wilson

or

Burakovsky/Mojo-Backstrom-Williams
Burakovsky/Mojo-Richards-Wilson
Winnik-Beagle-Latta/Galiev/X

Firstly, please explain why Richards remains at 3C in this scenario. Either have him on a checking line - so without Johansson or Burakovsky - or make it a scoring line with Mojo (or to a lesser extent Beagle). A Ricahrds-centered third line is an anti-scoring line.

Secondly, I don't think your second proposal would work for a number of reasons. I think you can greatly underestimate what Backstrom and Oshie each bring to the fourth line, including important qualities Ovi and Kuznetsov can't. I'm not sure why Trotz would dramatically change the roles and effectiveness of the top six just to have an all-Russian line. I don't think a second line with Mojo or Burakovsky at 2LW and Williams at 2RW is nearly as effective as the Ovi-Backstrom-Oshie line defensively or in a shut-down capacity. Also, what happened to Oshie in your second proposal?

Jun 15, 2007
I don't think Galiev or Latta are still on this team next year, especially Galiev.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I dont get any good vibes from Chimmer. Maybe he's injured, maybe he's done.

Richards is playing much more meaningful role.

Winnik is better than Chimmer even offensively so far.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Firstly, please explain why Richards remains at 3C in this scenario. Either have him on a checking line - so without Johansson or Burakovsky - or make it a scoring line with Mojo (or to a lesser extent Beagle). A Ricahrds-centered third line is an anti-scoring line.

Because Richards is both defensively responsible and has been one of the Caps best players so far during the post season IMO. The points might not be there, but that has to do with his more defensive role and a combination of playing with Chimera, Winnik, Wilson, etc. If you want it to be a scoring line make it Burakovsky-Richards-Williams/Mojo.

Secondly, I don't think your second proposal would work for a number of reasons. I think you can greatly underestimate what Backstrom and Oshie each bring to the fourth line, including important qualities Ovi and Kuznetsov can't. I'm not sure why Trotz would dramatically change the roles and effectiveness of the top six just to have an all-Russian line. I don't think a second line with Mojo or Burakovsky at 2LW and Williams at 2RW is nearly as effective as the Ovi-Backstrom-Oshie line defensively or in a shut-down capacity. Also, what happened to Oshie in your second proposal?

The second was just for fun and really doesn't need to be analyzed in depth in all honesty :laugh:. The whole Radulov to Washington is purely speculation and more than likely is stemming from him being Russian. Only way he comes is if it's a one year deal (for long term reasons) and Mojo is moved.

Is this better for you?(Completely forgot Oshie in the spur of the moment)

Burakovsky/Mojo-Backstrom-Oshie
Burakovsky/Mojo-Richards-Williams
Winnik-Beagle-Wilson

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don't think Galiev or Latta are still on this team next year, especially Galiev.

The organization has publicly stated they like Galiev and protected him from waivers. He's going to be on the team and he actually looked a lot better towards the end of the year.

Who knows on Latta though. I'm assuming he only comes back if he's cheap or we lose a few UFA's. It's obvious that Trotz and co don't trust him enough to give him a full time role.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Regardless of what happens to the Caps in the playoffs, Chimera and Galiev should not be back next year.

Someone has to be the 13th. Why not Galiev?

Latta is still slow. Stephenson is maybe not that far. Richards could be a placeholder for Chandler. IDK for what term.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Regardless of what happens to the Caps in the playoffs, Chimera and Galiev should not be back next year.

Caps went to some trouble to keep Galiev and I doubt he is just going to be dumped. Latta's situation is lit somewhat by their decision to get Richards. While Richards might not stay, Barber is ready for a shot and Stephenson is there too.

Chorney will be back at the 7 and Weber will be let go. I suppose there is a chance that they move Orlov to make room for Bowey, but I am leaning away from that.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Someone has to be the 13th. Why not Galiev?

Latta is still slow. Stephenson is maybe not that far. Richards could be a placeholder for Chandler. IDK for what term.

Galiev sucks in a bottom 6 role. I'd rather play Latta in the bottom 6 than Galiev. Realistically though, someone from the Bears will be promoted to the NHL, probably one of Stephenson, Barber or Vrana. We can also get a 4th liner on the market.

Caps went to some trouble to keep Galiev and I doubt he is just going to be dumped. Latta's situation is lit somewhat by their decision to get Richards. While Richards might not stay, Barber is ready for a shot and Stephenson is there too.

Chorney will be back at the 7 and Weber will be let go. I suppose there is a chance that they move Orlov to make room for Bowey, but I am leaning away from that.

They tried to be patient with Galiev, but I don't see a lot of upside in him. He's already 24, going on 25 next year. It's time to make a decision, and I think he should be traded.

Richards will probably go, which sucks because he was an ideal #4C. Weber should go as well, and I guess we'll see for Orlov. If Bowey is ready to make the jump, I'm okay with moving Orlov. If not, sign Orlov to a 2 year deal.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
so now Chimera is a 4th liner? Either way Trotz runs all 4 lines, so I don't understand you're fear of having a good 4th line.

And for your post above, it would more likely bump down Williams. It seems like this is about not wanting Radulov and not about having too much depth, which is a much more understandable stance.

Yes, Chimera is getting 4th line minutes and if that doesn't change as the playoffs progress, would signal to me that the Caps will let him go after the season.

I expect that the 4th line next regular season will have the young weak links in it. Latta, Galiev, Stephenson all played under 10 minutes when they played. If Richards leaves and is replace by Barber or Latta is retained, Wilson on that 4th line wont be getting opportunities to grow his game.

The Caps have young players that need NHL games, so they don't end up in the spot that they are in Galiev. A player they like that has run out of his waiver excempt status. They need to get games for Vrana and Barber and Stephenson and Galiev.

If they use Johansson at 3C and use a 4th line of Winnek, Beagle and Wilson, short of injury replacement there is not lineup spot for even Galiev should they keep him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Galiev sucks in a bottom 6 role. I'd rather play Latta in the bottom 6 than Galiev. Realistically though, someone from the Bears will be promoted to the NHL, probably one of Stephenson, Barber or Vrana. We can also get a 4th liner on the market.

They tried to be patient with Galiev, but I don't see a lot of upside in him. He's already 24, going on 25 next year. It's time to make a decision, and I think he should be traded.

Richards will probably go, which sucks because he was an ideal #4C. Weber should go as well, and I guess we'll see for Orlov. If Bowey is ready to make the jump, I'm okay with moving Orlov. If not, sign Orlov to a 2 year deal.

Kuznetsov and Burakovsky were not good in a 4th line role either, but both spent a lot of time there. The Caps were so healthy this season that Galiev really got no shot to play above the 4th line. He played well enough when he played that Trotz was very upfront in saying that he was not going anywhere. I don't think that was said as Galiev being playoff insurance.

Richards is ideal but so is Beagle. I still think Trotz likes Beagle as his 3C.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kuznetsov and Burakovsky were not good in a 4th line role either, but both spent a lot of time there. The Caps were so healthy this season that Galiev really got no shot to play above the 4th line. He played well enough when he played that Trotz was very upfront in saying that he was not going anywhere. I don't think that was said as Galiev being playoff insurance.

Richards is ideal but so is Beagle. I still think Trotz likes Beagle as his 3C.

Yes but Kuznetsov and Burakovsky had the upside to play in a top 6 role. If Galiev isn't in a role where he is asked to play with skill like Kuzy or Bura, he should be in the press box. Other players are better suited for a bottom 6 role.

Beagle is fine as a #3C, but I want Richards back for cheap next year as a #4C.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
if Richards takes another 1 year 1-2 mill deal I'm down for extending him. With Kuz being in his last cheap contract year, it maybe the time to make a 1 year deal to a boom or bust guy or a aging vet looking for one last playoff run. With a Kuz 6.5 mill extension loaming it will prolly be a slow offseason in FA.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes but Kuznetsov and Burakovsky had the upside to play in a top 6 role. If Galiev isn't in a role where he is asked to play with skill like Kuzy or Bura, he should be in the press box. Other players are better suited for a bottom 6 role.

Beagle is fine as a #3C, but I want Richards back for cheap next year as a #4C.

kuz and burt had the upside to play in the top 6 and galiev doesn't? you are saying that kuz and burt should also have been scratched all those games they were on the 4th line because they weren't suited for 4th line duty?

not sure how looming that big contract is for 92 right now. he needs to perk up his numbers before the music stops for this season. otherwise he is damaging his position by going goalless for the final quarter of the season and doing next to nothing in the playoffs so far.

Edit. Reminder. Kuzy has 1g 12a in his last 26 games and a -5 in that period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad