Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXV (Any Given Someday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
One I expected near 20 goals from, one I did not. They're two different role players, each has been better than the other "in their roles"...Wilson has looked much improved in his role this season.

In any case wasn't a comment about Wilson. If you're pleased with Burt so far we'll agree to disagree.

Agree, I think Wilson has been solid so far.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Fixing something that isn't broken. Idk if I'd do that. I hope GMBM is working the phones to fix bottom-6, not top-6.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Btw, the biggest surprise so far for me? The play of Marcus Johansson. Very interested to see if he can keep it up until the end of season.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Fixing something that isn't broken. Idk if I'd do that. I hope GMBM is working the phones to fix bottom-6, not top-6.

Bottom six has to be fixed from within. Players playing better or finding the right mix of players who compliment each other there.

Maybe we'll see Wilson and Burakovsky on the 3rd line together along with Stephenson and roll Laich/Chimera/Beagle as our 4th line soon. I think that maybe the best bet.

Make a young hungry more offensively inclined line and a veteran "average shutdown" line.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
This move could also light a fire under some people. As many of you had said the offense had gone coldish, people were probably a little comfortable

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
There are so many iterations that Trotz can "try", if he leaves the top line alone.
8-92-77
21-19-14
65-90-43
25-83-46

I'd like the Caps to try something like that.
Right now the Caps basically have 7 "skilled" players.

3 on one/top line, and then:
Either 3 on one line and 1 kind of wasting with grinders,
or -- 2 on each of two middle-6 lines, giving 2-way balance.

Also guys like Chimera, Wilson, Laich, when there are two of them on a line, that line can only play "grinder" hockey. When it's just one, with two skilled players, these guys might be able to hang -- and in case of Wilson, there's a bonus in terms of hopefully developing his skills.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'd like the Caps to try something like that.
Right now the Caps basically have 7 "skilled" players.

3 on one/top line, and then:
Either 3 on one line and 1 kind of wasting with grinders,
or -- 2 on each of two middle-6 lines, giving 2-way balance.

Also guys like Chimera, Wilson, Laich, when there are two of them on a line, that line can only play "grinder" hockey. When it's just one, with two skilled players, these guys might be able to hang -- and in case of Wilson, there's a bonus in terms of hopefully developing his skills.

Agreed. Take the remaining 4 offensively skilled players and add one of Chimera, Laich, Beagle, Wilson to each twosome. I'd probably separate Backstrom and Williams under that plan, so you can have a vet offensive forward with either Majo or Bura.

Part of me would really like to see what Backstrom can do with Bura and Wilson. As line 2.

That would leave either Laich/Chimera to play with Majo and Williams as line 2b.

Then Laich/Chimera with Beagle and Latta as line 4.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
There are so many iterations that Trotz can "try", if he leaves the top line alone.
8-92-77
21-19-14
65-90-43
25-83-46

Or
8-92-77
65-19-43
21-90-14
25-83-46

The combo's are endless.

laich with backstrom and williams? yuck

if we want to punish our stars

8-83-43
21-19-14
25-92-77
65-90-46
:handclap:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Beagle is 7thamong forwards in ES TOI/Game right now. Him being dropped to the 4th line isn't realistic.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah Beagle is pretty much a permanent fixture at #3C. Bura won't and shouldn't displace him in that role. They should just have Bura as a permanent winger, forget about the C experiments. Kuz has already filled the gap in the top 6.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Beagle is 7thamong forwards in ES TOI/Game right now. Him being dropped to the 4th line isn't realistic.

Yeah Beagle is pretty much a permanent fixture at #3C. Bura won't and shouldn't displace him in that role. They should just have Bura as a permanent winger, forget about the C experiments. Kuz has already filled the gap in the top 6.

We've seen Trotz move guys all over the lines for various reasons. Anything is possible, other than maybe Ovechkin moving off the first line, and even then we've already seen him benched for a game.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I disagree that Wilson should be anywhere near a skilled line at this point. His overall play is better than in year's past, but that's mostly been evident on the PK. He's still bad in terms of sustaining possession and keeping the play alive. He's purely a forecheck missile and transition threat, and he's not a high enough percentage player in the transition game to warrant him seeing time with skilled players. At this point, he's basically a lesser version of Jason Chimera (and at least Chimera can play an effective cycle game). They have a few options, but putting a guy like Wilson or Laich in the top six would compromise the lines that are already effective.

Apr 6, 2004
I disagree that Wilson should be anywhere near a skilled line at this point. His overall play is better than in year's past, but that's mostly been evident on the PK. He's still bad in terms of sustaining possession and keeping the play alive. He's purely a forecheck missile and transition threat, and he's not a high enough percentage player in the transition game to warrant him seeing time with skilled players. At this point, he's basically a lesser version of Jason Chimera (and at least Chimera can play an effective cycle game). They have a few options, but putting a guy like Wilson or Laich in the top six would compromise the lines that are already effective.

I've lowered my hope that he'd be a 15-20g guy, it's just never going to happen. He needs to focus his efforts on being an expert in the areas he currently succeeds in.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've lowered my hope that he'd be a 15-20g guy, it's just never going to happen. He needs to focus his efforts on being an expert in the areas he currently succeeds in.

You don't think he can become a 15g guy? I've always had him at around that number eventually, 20 if we got very lucky that he develops late. I still think 15 is the line someday.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
There have been less talented players than Wilson in the history of the NHL who could score 20 goals.
It can absolutely happen.

Can it happen? Sure. Hell, Chris Clark had a 30 goal season.

Is it a good move to try and force it to happen? No. Hoping that Wilson pulls a David Clarkson and scores 30 deflections while shoehorned into a scoring role is not advisable.

Rather than compromise the team's performance in an attempt to get the best results from Wilson, it makes a lot more sense to relegate Wilson into a role he can execute more proficiently.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think Wilson will be fine. Not sure if he can improve fast enough to make a significant impact goal-wise on the current team, but I think he'll get there eventually.

He actually made significant progress this year -- big improvement in his skating. So he is capable of making improvements. He has the size to carve out space around the crease. And he already brings enough useful qualities to ensure that he's always going to be in the lineup.

So he has ~10 years to improve skills and/or find out to maximize his impact. Plus, Trotz likes him and is gonna work on getting him to improve.

He might be a late bloomer, but I think he'll get there.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The Wilson obsession is legit.

He's never shown an inkling of scoring more than 10 goals at this level. The offensive talent simply isn't there. Everyone, (including some within the org) are way too impressed by his man-boy persona and pugilism.

10 years to improve his skills...who gets this kind of leash?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Is it a good move to try and force it to happen? No. Hoping that Wilson pulls a David Clarkson and scores 30 deflections while shoehorned into a scoring role is not advisable.

Rather than compromise the team's performance in an attempt to get the best results from Wilson, it makes a lot more sense to relegate Wilson into a role he can execute more proficiently.

Of course you don't compromise the team's performance just to get the most out of Wilson, but even in a checking bottom 6 role he could create more offense than he currently does. Ideally, I'd like Wilson to be a 15 goal gritty two way power forward. He has improved on all aspects of his game during the summer, after being rushed in the league by a bunch of morons.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

People should stop using Chris Clark as an example of a plug who scored. He was a very talented player and had years of great hockey ahead of him before destroying his wrist.

If you want to name plugs with numbers talk Brown, Prucha, Clarkson, Boyes and Cheechoo.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
The Wilson obsession is legit.

He's never shown an inkling of scoring more than 10 goals at this level. The offensive talent simply isn't there. Everyone, (including some within the org) are way too impressed by his man-boy persona and pugilism.

10 years to improve his skills...who gets this kind of leash?

What leash, lol.

He is useful enough to play without big offensive contribution. That's why he has time to improve skills.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Of course you don't compromise the team's performance just to get the most out of Wilson, but even in a checking bottom 6 role he could create more offense than he currently does. Ideally, I'd like Wilson to be a 15 goal gritty two way power forward. He has improved on all aspects of his game during the summer, after being rushed in the league by a bunch of morons.

All I see is a guy who is faster. I don't know if his defensive abilities improved because he hasn't been used on the PK until this year.

His offensive ability is at best slightly better, and that is due to his quickness. Some might look at him being 22 and think that he is still very young with lots of time to improve, but I look at it as him starting his 3rd full season in the NHL with barely any improvement of his puck skills, offensive awareness, and board play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad