Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIII (Arbin' 2: Electric Boogaloo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyvaunp

Jul 15, 2015
Talking about this on the Trade boards. Nate Schmidt for Jacob Larsson? Buffalo picks up a promising LHD and the caps get their 3rd line C. I originally added a draft pick to sweeten the deal, but apparently their value is similar. What do you guys think?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Talking about this on the Trade boards. Nate Schmidt for Jacob Larsson? Buffalo picks up a promising LHD and the caps get their 3rd line C. I originally added a draft pick to sweeten the deal, but apparently their value is similar. What do you guys think?

Couldn't bear losing Schmidt, think he's something worth hanging on to for as long as you can.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

As much as I'd like to fill the 3C hole, I'd rather hang onto Schmidt. He's got all the tools to be a quality top 4 defenseman. He may not show up a ton on the score sheet so far (or possibly ever) and certainly isn't a smash'em'up "shutdown" guy, but he's been very effective in his role thus far (both under Oates and Trotz). I could see him being one of those "underrated" types that other teams try to steal for cheap on the trade boards for a long time. Sort of a lesser Vlasic.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not really sure that Larsson is a center. Not enough to warrant the swap anyhow. (That's Johan Larsson you mean...)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Larsson took 341 faceoffs in only 39 games last year and 285 in 28 games the year before, so he has mostly played center. Granted, he's only won 45.5% of them. Additionally, he's failed to secure a full time spot on some pretty awful Buffalo teams (though I think he certainly has NHL potential).

If they opt to try and patch 3C with a young, unproven player, I'd rather they trade Latta. Make it a stylistic swap of a gritty Latta for a more skilled forward like Larsson or Linden Vey.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yeah, he can play the position and his possession numbers are decent but hard to say more than that. At least it's hard to say 3C is solved by the acquisition. Maybe he can do it but I'm not sure how dynamic he is. Certainly I'd take him over Latta.

These are the sort of situations they need to monitor and pounce on when the fit lines up rather than aging grinders or stay-at-home types at the deadline. It's a good idea in theory. Arguably there isn't a center spot for Larsson in Buffalo currently (not above 4C and even then there's Legwand pulling down money and that's not even putting Reinhart in the mix immediately).

Keyvaunp

Jul 15, 2015
How about Peter Holland from Toronto? I know that he isn't exactly a veteran player, but I watched a few of his games and I really do like the way he plays. What do you guys think?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How about Peter Holland from Toronto? I know that he isn't exactly a veteran player, but I watched a few of his games and I really do like the way he plays. What do you guys think?

I'd give him a PTO or two-way contract. Absolutely would not guarantee him a roster spot, though.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'm pretty sure Holland is signed with Toronto. I'd rather sign another forward or give a PTO to someone. I'm still curious about Trotz's feeling on Burakovsky as a center, if he's willing to let Burakovsky play center than Tlusty or Boyes are other available options. Derek Roy is also still out there, who i wouldn't mind. I'm probably forgetting a couple others too.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
So I'm guessing we'll see this lineup vs New Jersey on opening night.

Ovi-Kuzy-Oshie
Mojo-Bura-Williams
Chimmer-Laich-Wilson
Galiev-Beags-Lats

Orpik-Carlson
Alzner-Niskanen
Schmidt-Orlov
Chorney

Holtby
Grubi

eh..

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Beagle at 4c for less than 2m a year isn't ungodly awful. Laich at 4.5m, as a craptastic 3c is..... Putrid. I'd rather at two kids w Laich (Galiev and Wilson) while Backstrom is hurt, and see if the kids can make the old turd better.

Like that idea a lot. If Galiev can keep his scoring touch going in the NHL and Wilson can create mayhem and stay out of the box that might not be a bad place for Laich to line up. If he can play like a serviceable 3C and maintain throughout the year, I wouldn't feel as sick seeing his 4.5 price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad