Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIII (Arbin' 2: Electric Boogaloo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
honestly carrick is probably ready but with the depth they have now (chorney and stanton) probably wont see him in nhl this year

I think last season was more of an anomaly for Capitals defensemen. The trend had been in previous years that the Caps would dress as many as 10 d-men through out the season and sometimes going above the 10 d-men level in some seasons. So I think you might see Carrick get a few games with the parent club this season, I just hope its only single digits as that would indicate the d-men like last season pretty much remained healthy.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
When is Carrick going to be ready?

Depends on what you consider "ready." Could he step up into a limited NHL role right now? Probably (or at least very soon). His offensive instincts are pretty good, and he could function on our powerplay. Is he ready to step up and be an all-around defenseman who doesn't need to be sheltered? Probably not.

We have enough depth that they shouldn't need to rush him into the NHL. He'll be competing for one of the earlier call-ups, though.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
honestly carrick is probably ready but with the depth they have now (chorney and stanton) probably wont see him in nhl this year

Depends on what you consider "ready." Could he step up into a limited NHL role right now? Probably (or at least very soon). His offensive instincts are pretty good, and he could function on our powerplay. Is he ready to step up and be an all-around defenseman who doesn't need to be sheltered? Probably not.

We have enough depth that they shouldn't need to rush him into the NHL. He'll be competing for one of the earlier call-ups, though.

By ready, I meant if he can jump in the NHL this year. He's already got decent AHL experience and done quite well there. But yeah, the logjam likely will keep him from starting the year.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Is consensus that Orlov will be at RD with Schmidt?

I haven't seen anything suggested either way on that, but it's what I'd expect. Put him back on his natural (off) side. His footwork looked pretty bad when he was moved to the left, especially for such a good skater.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
I haven't seen anything suggested either way on that, but it's what I'd expect. Put him back on his natural (off) side. His footwork looked pretty bad when he was moved to the left, especially for such a good skater.

Only way that changes is if Orpik isn't available to start the season. Then either Orlov or Schmidt likely moves to Carlson and the other pairs up with whoever our 7th D ends up being. So Orlov might end up as an LD with Carlson or on the 3rd pairing depending on handedness.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
No way I'd play Orlov on something higher than the 3rd pairing to start the season. He only played 3 AHL games last season. As "hungry" and supposedly good looking in training as he may be, there's a fair bit of rust there. More than I feel comfortable with saying a training camp and few pre-season games would be able to shake off. Ease him back into things slowly.

If Orpik is out to start the year, Schmidt should be the one promoted to the top 4, and Alzner's pairing (whether it's with Carlson or Niskanen) should get shutdown duties. Orlov stays as 3RD with Chorney or Stanton taking 3LD.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Definitely excited to see Orlov back and allowed to play on his more comfortable side (later Oatesy!)

The more and more I think about it the more it makes 100% sense not to try and get a 3C right now.

See how things shake down and bank that cap space.

And who knows maybe Burakovsky will be awesome at 3C (assuming he gets the spot which I kinda expect)

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
If Orlov can regain form and Williams/Oshie pan out watch out world...this team has the potential to be stacked.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I have a feeling the drop off from Green to Orlov isn't going to be an issue. The difference from last year will come if we start having injuries. We were fortunate on the blue line last year.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have been waiting a long time to see Morelove I mean more Orlov.

He looked very skilled puck handling in the offensive zone for those last few months of the 13 season. Oates presumed unleashed him for some Oatsean reason.

I wish there was a way to slot him onto the PP. I wonder if an umbrella ever had an offhanded guy up top... he would certainly need a great backhand one timer pass, or be positioned closer to Nick. Or, the reverse setup....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad