and I know it's you

Ace's Blues
GP

Nicely done

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I traveled to NY a year ago this month for the first time in my life. Got to venture through the memorial. Simply beautiful. Rather peaceful although the mass amounts of people surrounding it. Also while walking through the exhibits.

If you haven't been I recommend it although for many I'm sure it's a difficult thing to do....

Reactions: Estlin

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I struggle every year on the 10th and 11th. I just still can't believe what happened and to know there is a whole generation who have no clue about what happened that day makes me sad.

In a strange twist, I will be in almost the exact area I was 18 years ago tomorrow. I drive by TJX on the Pike daily and the flag still hangs in the large window in the front of the building.

Mark Bavis grew up around the corner from where I grew up so it was even more jarring knowing that someone who lived so close to me was killed. I know a girl who also lost her uncle in the towers as he was a firefighter in NYC.

What always gets me are the stories of the people who should have been on the planes and the reasons why they took a different flight or missed it altogether.

If you or your older child/ren are looking to learn more about the day and the people aboard the planes, Mitchell Zuckoff's book "Fall and Rise The Story of 9/11" is fantastic and I highly recommend getting the audio book. He's a former Globe Spotlight Team member who wrote the initial stories that day and subsequently used them to write this book.

This is a day I will never forget and I will always think of Ace and Mark.

Beautiful poem.

Sorry for rambling

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The lights are shining down
on center ice
And I looked twice
but I don't see you
My eyes keep gazing back there
towards the room
and I say a prayer
that you come out soon

The Red line's in my eyes
from all this crying
The Blue line's in my mind
just make me blue
Ace ain't skating down
his wing tonight
On an Angel's flight
is where He's headed to

September comes and always
leaves me grieving
But fresh ice always seems
to make me new
there's a full moon shining
in the sky tonight
grinnin' big and bright
and I know it's you

Ace's Blues
GP
Awesome

He was amazing

If you had 3 wishes for your personality/make up and choose charisma, charm, and like ability you would have Garnett ‘Ace’ Bailey

He might have been the most beloved player in the room on that wild, crazy, phenomenally talented team.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Awesome

He was amazing

If you had 3 wishes for your personality/make up and choose charisma, charm, and like ability you would have Garnett ‘Ace’ Bailey

He might have been the most beloved player in the room on that wild, crazy, phenomenally talented team.

He was a big kid..

Ace's Place does great work for children.

Reactions: Ladyfan

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I traveled to NY a year ago this month for the first time in my life. Got to venture through the memorial. Simply beautiful. Rather peaceful although the mass amounts of people surrounding it. Also while walking through the exhibits.

If you haven't been I recommend it although for many I'm sure it's a difficult thing to do....

The museum was tough wasn't it?

Reactions: Estlin and JCRO

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

I went to the temporary exhibit back in 2011 and was in tears so I can only imagine how tough the actual memorial is to view.

I took this photo back then and it still gives me chills to this day

229513_611058093079_1655971_n.jpg

I took this photo in 2016 when I was in Hoboken, NJ (my hotel faced the new WTC)

full

Reactions: BMC and JCRO

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I heard that on the news this morning.

To think 674 NJ residents died that day is just nuts to think about. Everyone here knows someone that lost someone it seems. My kids had friends that lost parents, business associates that lost relatives....I know a couple dozen people who were actually there that day..it's just a terrible day that seems to get worse with each passing year.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
To think 674 NJ residents died that day is just nuts to think about. Everyone here knows someone that lost someone it seems. My kids had friends that lost parents, business associates that lost relatives....I know a couple dozen people who were actually there that day..it's just a terrible day that seems to get worse with each passing year.
Hugs to you

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I actually feel it more on the night of the 10th

18 years ago tonight I was in Yankee Stadium watching it rain. The game was called and we went to a dive bar near Penn Station.

I was with a couple I had met a year earlier because of the dive bar and a longtime friend who lives in Queens. Jim Smith was a huge Yankees fan but his wife was rooting for the Red Sox only because she grew up in Brooklyn as a Mets fan.

I met her only because the bartender at Hickey's had an extra ticket to a Bruins game and was instructed to give it to a real hockey fan and he gave it to me. The bartender Seamus was being evil knowing she would be livid that a Bruins fan would be sitting next to her. :rolleyes:

Her mood softened as the Bruins were blown out of MSG

Boston Bruins - New York Rangers - October 29th, 2000

I got them seats in Boston for a game in January and then they invited me to a Sox/Mets game at Shea and just a week earlier they went to a game at Fenway ( Mussina lost a perfect game with 2 outs in the 9th )

So on 9/10 we had several drinks at Hickey's and then they left because they were both working the next day which was election day and easy overtime pay at the polling place. They were both NYPD officers.

10 hours later she was dead. :cry:

14183808_592426694263581_6897076420167299798_n.jpg

It took me over a day to get back to Boston and I had sent her an AOL IM but thought nothing about not hearing back as I just assumed she was consumed with work.

3 days afterwards I saw this picture on the front page of the Daily News and she was helping people get out of the lobby and then I read the words - Officer Smith went back inside. :cry:

14292319_1291157760929365_4804759868413397299_n.jpg

Today there is a ferry boat named for her

3557527554_834f07aab9_b.jpg

and a playground

BY5OBKXT7XAWQ7BZ27B6GOMXJM.jpg

Hickey's is gone now but it was the NYR version of Sullivan's - just a block from MSG

Remember Old New York At Hickey’s Pub | Midtown Lunch - Finding Lunch in the Food Wasteland of NYC's Midtown Manhattan

Last edited:

aguineapig

Awesome

He was amazing

They'd shut down all the rinks tonight
and say a prayer or two
If they only knew

Reactions: DKH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad