TVA Sports According to TVA Sports - the best candidate to replace Julien is Bob Hartley. 2nd best? Therrien

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I think I just puked in my mouth...

Worst part, with MB & Molson running the show, they probably aren't wrong in terms of most likely replacements :facepalm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
One of two things will happen:

1: Therrien will arrive just in time to ruin the new core of youngsters.

2: Plot twist. MB is fired, Therrien becomes GM and MB goes behind the bench.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Heres the thing though, the coach coaches, his job isnt to talk to the media, the players speak english, some maybe not aswell as others but the coaches concern should be to coach, not to appease the media.
you think they have scrums after every f***ing game and every single practice cause they dont have anything better to do ??

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I truly question whether a fan is truly a fan when they prioritize language over winning. The Canadiens can do so many other things to show respect towards French Canadisn culture. The linguistic abilities of the head coach shouldn't be the defining action.
considering I've spent pretty much my whole life immersed in the french canadian culture and I still do not know enough to pretend understand what is exactly said french canadian culture...

I'm really curious to read your definition of it.

Reactions: Lshap

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
considering I've spent pretty much my whole life immersed in the french canadian culture and I still do not know enough to pretend understand what is exactly said french canadian culture...

People with PhDs dont even have a set definition of it so I definitely wont :laugh:

Reactions: ECWHSWI

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
If they recycle Therrien a third time, I will completely give up on the team I’ve cheered for my whole life until they move past the local politics completely.

I’d like to say “hey man, don’t totally bail” but I have thought the same thing myself, and that's without a brand new/same ol’ coaching gaffe to lament.

Seems like every single joyous moment I have had following the team since ‘67 is going to be partnered with an alternative-universe moment worth a facepalm, repeated cussing, throwing the remote...

A complete house-cleaning is required, from top down.

Reactions: Lshap and ECWHSWI

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

This is a good point, but it raises a very important question: if culture is a vague concept we debate but never agree on, why would we expect a sports team to nail it?

Our debates about the Habs remind me of the debates my wife and I have about our kids. We want them to be a certain way, but in the end they'll take their own paths no matter how loud we yell. I'd rather skip past the yelling and go directly to the love & acceptance part.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Is this sarcasm? Tell me it's sarcasm...

I don't know about Vancouver's current coach but the previous ones were Willie Desjardins and Tortorella. The best? Nope.

As for Toronto... Do I really have to waste my time listing those failures? How did the BEST COACH IN THE WORLD do?

Apart from Quinn and Burns they have 20 years of failure and disappointment. All of then except for Burns were born in Ontario too. Funny how that works...
Best available means, you encompass EVERYONE................you do not omit people, which is what the Habs do.
Do these make good choices all the time, of course not. But they do not leave people off their lists, because of language, like the Habs do, and it is NOT working.
Recycling old coaches has produced ZERO results.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Best available means, you encompass EVERYONE................you do not omit people, which is what the Habs do.
Do these make good choices all the time, of course not. But they do not leave people off their lists, because of language, like the Habs do, and it is NOT working.
Recycling old coaches has produced ZERO results.

First question to ask is pretty simple: How many teams would hire that guy today?

I look at Therrien after Pittsburgh….nobody would hire him before the Habs did and nobody wants to touch him since them. That should tell everyone that this choices was more based on politics than competence. Not ready to say same thing about Julien though. Other team would have hired him.

Bergevin? Same thing. No one in their right mind would have consider him for the GM job in the NHL. Politic choice, not based on competence.

In some case it might work, but most of the time, if not always…. it doesn't work.
This is where you can see when the Habs makes a decision more based on politics, no matter who's on their list.

Nobody would've hire Houle, Gauthier or Savard as a GM, Tremblay or Carbonneau as coaches either.

When i hear the names of Bouchard, Ducharme, Roy or the bunch in the Q.....if no one else would consider them for a job, then why should we? The only answer to this is Politics and surely not competence cause other team would have made some calls.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
you think they have scrums after every f*cking game and every single practice cause they dont have anything better to do ??

So is media skills something other gms are looking for in a coach? Media is something everyone in the organization has to deal with, giving reporters generic soundbites for a few minutes after each game hardly seems like a reason to hire or not hire someone doesnt it?

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
The team and most fans have no problems playing with only 1-2 Quebec players so why would they need a Quebec coach? What is the logic?
This team has been a complete disaster for so long. It would be 0 Stanley Cup since 1979 if not for the Gretzky-Oilers and Lemieux-Penguins being upset by other teams once each.
It's not about being a winner, it's about language. :huh:

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
The best candidate to replace anyone right now is Gallant. TVA is just preaching their ideologies to their choir.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
First question to ask is pretty simple: How many teams would hire that guy today?

I look at Therrien after Pittsburgh….nobody would hire him before the Habs did and nobody wants to touch him since them. That should tell everyone that this choices was more based on politics than competence. Not ready to say same thing about Julien though. Other team would have hired him.

Bergevin? Same thing. No one in their right mind would have consider him for the GM job in the NHL. Politic choice, not based on competence.

In some case it might work, but most of the time, if not always…. it doesn't work.
This is where you can see when the Habs makes a decision more based on politics, no matter who's on their list.

Nobody would've hire Houle, Gauthier or Savard as a GM, Tremblay or Carbonneau as coaches either.

When i hear the names of Bouchard, Ducharme, Roy or the bunch in the Q.....if no one else would consider them for a job, then why should we? The only answer to this is Politics and surely not competence cause other team would have made some calls.

Every team do that. Every team gives a chance to a candidate who wouldn't have been offered a job otherwise.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The best candidate to replace anyone right now is Gallant. TVA is just preaching their ideologies to their choir.

It's still recycling.

However, on the topic of Gallant, if MB wants him to coach his team, he probably should fire Julien ASAP. I'd be extremely surprised if Gallant didn't already have some very serious unofficial talks with Steve Yzerman.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
All reasonable options:

Patrick Roy
Andre Tourigny - Ottawa HC
Pascal Vincent - Manitoba HC
Benoit Groulx - Syracuse HC
Joel Bouchard
Alain Nasreddine NJD int HC
Marc Crawford
Martin Gelinas - Calgary Flames AC
Dominic Ducharme
Bob Hartley
Ian Lapperriere - Flyers AC
Eric Landry - Gatineau HC
Dan Lacroix - Moncton HC
Pascal Rheaume - Val D’or HC
Alex Tanguay - Iowa Asst.
Louis Robitaille - Victoriaville HC
Yanick Jean - Chicoutimi HC/GM
Stephane Julien - Sherbrooke HC
J-F Houle - Bakersfield Asst.
Jimmy Bonneau - SJ AHL Asst.

f*** Marc Crawford, Bob Hartley and Dan Lacroix.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A coach can only disrespect a fanbase by what he does, not by who he is.

I'd normally agree with this.
But there's a limit as to how many times materials can be recycled for the same purpose.
Therrien reached that limit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad