TVA Sports According to TVA Sports - the best candidate to replace Julien is Bob Hartley. 2nd best? Therrien

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's a pretty big reach here honestly.

But, if we go with that, it does beg the question as to how you can figure out the best candidate when you're ignoring the clear majority of candidates, so the frustration of some to me seems somewhat understandable.

That's a dogwhistle and that's the whole point.

(I do agree on your main observation though)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
About as good as the gars de chez nous that this ass backwards team continue to employ

If Cunneyworth was such a good coach, one would think he would've obtained other coaching jobs.

I mean, if that's what your claiming, at least be clear about it, so that everyone knows your opinion has to not be taken seriously.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Being a boomer myself and proud, I'm more than a little worried reading the comments in this thread. It seems a lot of you are clueless as to the demographics in Québec, and I'm sure it's the younger posters that are the most in error. It's 2020 not 1950.
It's not so much a lack of awareness than a don't care attitude. I saw it lot in BC, but when the Bloc won the opposition back in the 90's, it was on everyone's tongue.

TVASpanre is just like it's mother station. I'm just waiting for a Poule aux œufs d'or on skates. TVA = FOX

Sorry for overgeneralizing. I should've known better. There are lots of knowledgeable boomers. There's also a lot of close-minded Y's and Z's.

And your Poule aux Oeufs d'or comparison is, for the lack of a better possible word and pun, gold.

Last edited:

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
About as good as the gars de chez nous that this ass backwards team continue to employ

Cunneyworth wasn't good, Julien is much better imo. Plaider "LOI 101" et "QUÉBEC LIBRE" sur des pancartes au Centre Bell?!? Why make this about language when you can make it about performance. It's all so fine all the time with the Habs, the days of 90's journalism and hard criticism are long gone. They can do no ****ing wrong. Bergevin is a man of the people, very marketable to the audience.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Cunneyworth wasn't good, Julien is much better imo. Plaider "LOI 101" et "QUÉBEC LIBRE" sur des pancartes au Centre Bell?!? Why make this about language when you can make it about performance. It's all so fine all the time with the Habs, the days of 90's journalism and hard criticism are long gone. They can do no ****ing wrong. Bergevin is a man of the people, very marketable to the audience.

To be honest, if they were actually Canadiens fans, we would've seen more Canadiens jerseys/flags than Fleurdelysées.

Reactions: Pickles

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
To be honest, if they were actually Canadiens fans, we would've seen more Canadiens jerseys/flags than Fleurdelysées.

So where's our HF-driven manif with 200 strong, all wearing jerseys and sporting FIRE BERGEVIN signs?

I was down the summer after I joined. I'm still down.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So where's our HF-driven manif with 200 strong, all wearing jerseys and sporting FIRE BERGEVIN signs?

I was down the summer after I joined. I'm still down.

I personnally thing the issue is that the lack of someone between Molson and Bergevin.

(And Scouting, but that's at least partly on Bergevin)

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I personnally thing the issue is that the lack of someone between Molson and Bergevin.

(And Scouting, but that's at least partly on Bergevin)

Oh yeah I'm fine with a demotion to AGM for Big Marc, he's gotta show the new guy around.

But he can't have the conn much longer, we've sunk down the abyss for 4 years continuous now. No top line or top pair talent in the farm, Suzuki's already here - Caufield is too small for 1st line duties - Romanov playing 1st pair is a long shot, I'm more comfortable with 2nd pairing (and a damn good one).

Still... where's the poll for a manif? The one time I called for it I think it was post-draft in 2017, I was thoroughly ridiculed on here. Maybe we collectively don't have enough get-up-and-go after all.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Majority of fans are very sensible, and want to win above all else. I didn't intend for this to become a language thread - just a horribly bad take worth pointing out and laughing at.

But concerning language - i'm fine with it being an important part of Montreal's culture and a consideration when choosing a coach. Don't disrespect half your fanbase and don't ignore the requirement completely - but the good news however is that in today's world, PR experts and Translators exist. An English speaking coach is fine - Habs just have to be smart about it and still help facilitate translation/PR to french customers to make it be a non-factor. No big deal
Best candidate available. I don’t care if he speaks Mandarin. Don’t limit your hiring pool. That’s the dumbest thing to do. I’m sure any fan will overwhelmingly approve any coach who can win at this point.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
It is what it is, common fan probably would not give a damn but since the media would riot over this... Who cares what the common fans thnks
I’ve said it before. It’s a coaches job to win. Not cater to a few bitchy reporters. The coach reaches the fans by winning. Not talking.
You want to be a reporter and reach French and English speakers, then you’d better speak both languages. That is their job. Any reporter who complains about an English coach is an idiot.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Hartley is a good coach but I see someone like that coming in with a competitive team. Which the Habs are not. We need someone with a difference voice and go young.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I’ve said it before. It’s a coaches job to win. Not cater to a few bitchy reporters. The coach reaches the fans by winning. Not talking.
You want to be a reporter and reach French and English speakers, then you’d better speak both languages. That is their job. Any reporter who complains about an English coach is an idiot.

...Reporters tend to (want to) reach French OR English speakers. Not both at the same time. In the mainstream media at least.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
...Reporters tend to (want to) reach French OR English speakers. Not both at the same time. In the mainstream media at least.

I wonder if we were to bring a Anglo Coach with Ducharme as Associate Coach and they both answer questions at the Conferences or separate conferences lol

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
As dumb as MB and GM are there is no way CJ-MT-CJ-MT is going to happen.

Hartley would not surprise me though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They’re still reporting on events from English speaking countries though. They’d still need to translate it somehow.

If I'm looking at a hockey game between Columbus and Carolina, I usually don't translate what I'm seeing. I'm just, you know, writing it down. Same thing for events. Press Agencies also exist for a reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad