TVA Sports According to TVA Sports - the best candidate to replace Julien is Bob Hartley. 2nd best? Therrien

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
They just need to get in front of it - and it won't matter.

"Hey we're announcing Gallant. We want him for his winning pedigree, best coach on the market. To address the elephant in the room - no he doesn't speak french, but we'll have a translator designated to him for all post-game interviews and official press conferences. And of course - our assistant coach speaks french, and would be happy to speak with media when asked".

If they hire an English speaking coach with the message above communicated - it would go over fine.
This..............might require a brain though, and it sure seems like Money Mol$on doesn't seem to want to use his, so................

Reactions: bobholly39

Yannman

May 25, 2018
Have you watched soccer Q&A's? Translators exist. You think coaches working in France all learn French? ...and that's a much more lucrative business than NHL hockey.

Do you think even one bayern fan gave a rats a** pep guardiola did not speak german?!:)

Reactions: Roadhouse

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
The Habs are no more a winning culture. They suck, they don't own home ice no more, there is no respect or worry of playing the Habs at home. Visiting teams come here and enjoy the awesome hospitality, eat and drink and take 2 points and go home.

Here's a thought, before we hire a new coach, how about hiring the BEST GM (French or English)

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
The Habs are no more a winning culture. They suck, they don't own home ice no more, there is no respect or worry of playing the Habs at home. Visiting teams come here and enjoy the awesome hospitality, eat and drink and take 2 points and go home.

Here's a thought, before we hire a new coach, how about hiring the BEST GM (French or English)
Also how about building a team from ground up like every recent Stanley Cup winner

Reactions: 19VJ17

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
pretty sure if we hired an anglo, the JDM and Rejean Tremblay would freak out for a month and move on
it's 2020 let it go, boomers

They might quiet down if the team is winning. The instant the team would be in a losing streak, they would bring the language question back to the forefront. They would say something like "Tant qu'à perdre, pourquoi ne pas le faire avec un gars d'chez nous?"

They just need to get in front of it - and it won't matter.
"Hey we're announcing Gallant. We want him for his winning pedigree, best coach on the market. To address the elephant in the room - no he doesn't speak french, but we'll have a translator designated to him for all post-game interviews and official press conferences. And of course - our assistant coach speaks french, and would be happy to speak with media when asked".

If they hire an English speaking coach with the message above communicated - it would go over fine.

Obviously it's just my personal opinion but I think you are over-estimating the maturity level of our French media (at least some of the more vocal ones).

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
The Montreal Canadiens. Come work for us and, even if we fire you(and we will), no worries, you'll be re-hired after a grace period and get raise, and a bonus.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
At this point in time, is the Quebec fan base still on the coach needing to speak French? I feel that this is more open these days due to how limited we end up with our choices? How important is it today vs past years?
I feel like most diehards don't care about the language. The people who care tend to not even be those who follow the team outside of what's in the headlines. :dunno:

Reactions: Pickles and MXD

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
Why the hell would Gallant accept to coach this absolute disaster of a team.

You guys make it sound like if Bergevin makes him an offer, he's with us 100%. He's going to get a job regardless, he's not that desperate.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Therrien come back at this point since this organization is such a joke now.

Just get rid of Bergevin for Christ's sake. I honestly can't invest myself in this team anymore with this bozo being in charge.

Personally, I want Roy as GM and Groulx as coach. I want action, I want drama, I want to win, I want it all.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Obviously it's just my personal opinion but I think you are over-estimating the maturity level of our French media (at least some of the more vocal ones).

Just to clarify - i'm saying if the Habs did that, it would appease 99% of the fans (always a few extremists). I said nothing about the media. The media likes to bitch for the sake of creating drama - that's never going to change.

Reactions: Lshap

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
"Quebec has spoken." The result of the TVA poll for who should succeed CJ:

Potentiel successeur de Claude Julien : le Québec a parlé - TVA Sports

Bien campé au premier rang, Gallant devançait son plus proche poursuivant, Bob Hartley, par plus de 500 votes.
Voyez l’étendue des résultats ci-dessous.
SONDAGE9add87b0-19f9-4da9-8855-043ce0376ae4_ORIGINAL.jpg

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Bien campé au premier rang, Gallant devançait son plus proche poursuivant, Bob Hartley, par plus de 500 votes.

...as long as everyone knows it's not Gérard Gallant, it's Gerard Gallant who doesn't speak French, I'm fine with it (except for Hartley). I just suspect most are not aware about Gallant.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Michel Therrien is 4th in all time Hab coaching wins. He stands with the greats, Stan Bowman, Toe Blake and Dick Irving Sr.

Lol.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
That's one small ass survey btw. Look at the sample size... well that's probably how many people actually still care about the team at this point.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Michel Therrien is 4th in all time Hab coaching wins. He stands with the greats, Stan Bowman, Toe Blake and Dick Irving Sr.

Lol.
I know, kinda freaky, he probably leads in losses. I notice he didn't make the poll, or he's Autre

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada

This is really what it comes down too, regardless of who the coach is as long as that dipshit MB is running the show we arent going anywhere. Like you said hire the best, I cant see any real fan being angry that we hire an English speaking gm if they have a winning record and an actual plan for the team.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
...as long as everyone knows it's not Gérard Gallant, it's Gerard Gallant who doesn't speak French, I'm fine with it (except for Hartley). I just suspect most are not aware about Gallant.
If people aren't aware of Gallant, on what basis did they vote for him? I'll give the voters more credit and interpret the results to mean a majority want the best candidate, period.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

Happy to see that a lot of people don't care about getting an English coach.

But the survey is still telling to me.
Familiar name always have the upper hand in the end…..even if they are a long shot from being the best.
They included Gallant cause he's a familiar name but there's no Laviolette or Boudreau in there (Even if i wouldn't have picked them)

And who in the blue hell would take Hartley before Gallant and saying with a straight face that we pick the best available coach?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad