TVA Sports According to TVA Sports - the best candidate to replace Julien is Bob Hartley. 2nd best? Therrien

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
How is all this working out? How has it worked out the last 25 years? When you are picking from 5% of the population the chances of getting someone competent are not great, the chances of getting the best are very low. The Habs are living proof of what I claim.
So are the Leafs, so are most of the NHL teams .

Most of the new generation pro-coaches have all the acknowledgement it takes to do the job . The difference between a system and another is mostly in small details and the preparation of the game with the help of the videos . You don't need to interview 65 coaches to get a good one, so the 5 % you bring is largely enough

Language is a false issue because it concerns only 2 x persons out of a management staff composed with both french-english speakers . The fact that the Habs didn't win a Cup for soo long has nothing to do with the language of the coach .

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Laungauge is to blame, the habs continually settle for the best French staff instead of the best staff.
No it isn't . We are the only team that has this prerogative, but the majority of the teams didn't win the Cup either since 1993, so where are your english experts ?

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
No it isn't . We are the only team that has this prerogative, but the majority of the teams didn't win the Cup either since 1993, so where are your english experts ?
You can't seriously believe the Habs have been hiring the best candidates for the GM and coach positions. Being the best french candidate is not the best.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Coaching don't matter these days EVERYONE plays the same. It's the GM and scouts that matter far more and the leaders on the ice...

It's debatable if the club is right or not to hire only french speaking coaches but it has nothing to do with the lacklustre teams of the last 25 years.

Again why can't English speaking coaches learn some french while here it would solve this "problem" quite easily. They coach in english anyway they would only need a couple of words here and there to calm the media... Foreign soccer players and coaches that go play in France learn some basic french very soon it's called RESPECT.

Last edited:

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Babyboomers who watched Lafleur are keeping this team afloat so there is no reason not to hire a coach that will please them. Dat nostalgia is keeping the Habs alive.

Kids who grew up watching Koivu know better ( streaming games featuring NHL teams with talented players )

TVA sucks.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Brisebois did not impress me this trade deadline.
What moves does that guy really have to make though? His D is stacked, great goalie, tons of forwards... sometimes not making a move is the best one. And they are scorching hot right now. Why upset the apple cart?

Edit: Unless you're talking about Colman from a week earlier? He comes cheap and is a solid addition for little cap space.

Trade Analysis: Blake Coleman is a perfect if pricey fit for a win now Lightning team

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Brisebois was the other guy we were considering and he went to Tampa. They've been doing pretty well. Not sure what his influence was over there but I'd dare to say we'd have been much better off with him than what we got.

I’m going to be completely honest here and say at the time Bergevin was hired, I thought he was the more qualified candidate of the two. Bergy had the playing background, the scouting background and management experience. Brisebois was more of an academic, was the Canadiens cap guru, a lawyer and had limited playing / player development in comparison. But if you heard him speak or express ideas there was no mistaking the guy was and is brilliant. Bergy was always more affable, and if people really remember a lot of us here bought what he was selling when he talked about what he planned on implementing in this organization.

It didn’t work out, it happens. I often wonder what a more conservative / cerebral hockey mind would have done with a playoff caliber club going forward. Maybe compared to someone as gregarious as Bergevin there were fears of another Gauthier-esque episode.

I still don’t know why we couldn’t keep both to be honest, like why not give Brisebois an elevated role / pay as assistant GM. Maybe Molson viewed Brisebois as an unnecessary link to what they were trying to change I don’t know. Maybe Bergevin wanted a clean slate, both fair things in such a shakeup.

Hindsight is pretty cool at times, but this is one of those time where I think AT the time Bergevin was probably the better hire (I just threw up a little typing that), but man what I wouldn’t give to have Brisebois running the club now.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
I’m going to be completely honest here and say at the time Bergevin was hired, I thought he was the more qualified candidate of the two. Bergy had the playing background, the scouting background and management experience. Brisebois was more of an academic, was the Canadiens cap guru, a lawyer and had limited playing / player development in comparison. But if you heard him speak or express ideas there was no mistaking the guy was and is brilliant. Bergy was always more affable, and if people really remember a lot of us here bought what he was selling when he talked about what he planned on implementing in this organization.

It didn’t work out, it happens. I often wonder what a more conservative / cerebral hockey mind would have done with a playoff caliber club going forward. Maybe compared to someone as gregarious as Bergevin there were fears of another Gauthier-esque episode.

I still don’t know why we couldn’t keep both to be honest, like why not give Brisebois an elevated role / pay as assistant GM. Maybe Molson viewed Brisebois as an unnecessary link to what they were trying to change I don’t know. Maybe Bergevin wanted a clean slate, both fair things in such a shakeup.

Hindsight is pretty cool at times, but this is one of those time where I think AT the time Bergevin was probably the better hire (I just threw up a little typing that), but man what I wouldn’t give to have Brisebois running the club now.

Brisebois would be in the exact same scenario or worse with the way this organization has drafted over the last 12 years. Can't turn dog shit into gold, i'm sorry that just isn't how it works.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
Brisebois would be in the exact same scenario or worse with the way this organization has drafted over the last 12 years. Can't turn dog shit into gold, i'm sorry that just isn't how it works.

That's going on the assumption Brisebois keeps the same and builds the same staff Bergy has going into year 8. I don't think that happens, but maybe he's into protein bars and working out too.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
What moves does that guy really have to make though? His D is stacked, great goalie, tons of forwards... sometimes not making a move is the best one. And they are scorching hot right now. Why upset the apple cart?

Edit: Unless you're talking about Colman from a week earlier? He comes cheap and is a solid addition for little cap space.

Trade Analysis: Blake Coleman is a perfect if pricey fit for a win now Lightning team
I was thinking more about the Goodrow for a 1st rounder trade. Even if the 1st rounder turns out to be the 30th pick overall, it does not justify trading it for a 3rd/4th liner. Only way this trade turns out to be good is if Tampa wins the Cup and Goodrow was the missing ingredient.
To be fair, most GM's will make good and bad moves but Brisebois has had it easy so far as you mentioned. Would be interesting to see if the roles between him and Bergevin were reversed.

Sand94

Oct 5, 2017
That's going on the assumption Brisebois keeps the same and builds the same staff Bergy has going into year 8. I don't think that happens, but maybe he's into protein bars and working out too.

Granted, you're right on that one.

However it's probably harder to clean house on Timmins and Co. when only 5 years earlier he drafted Subban Patch and Mcdo.... Now though... should have been done 3 years ago.

Reactions: habergeon

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He's not, he just had the best suits.

upload_2020-2-26_14-57-7.jpeg

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
q
You can't seriously believe the Habs have been hiring the best candidates for the GM and coach positions. Being the best french candidate is not the best.
why do you reply to my posts if you don't read them completely ?
There isn't " the best GM " or the "best coach " available . It doesn't exist . What is real is that many people have similar competences, and that the one who looks good today will be the one who looks bad in a near future . You look all around the League and the GM that won the Cup few years back like Detroit, L.A. or Chicago for example, are now out of the POs . The ones that are running the best teams were fired previously from other teams

Reactions: SnapVirus

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Bergevin is the premiere French hockey mind of our generation and he’s terrible
Not true. There are some good hockey minds from Qc, but they need to be hired and given their chance. Habs have always picked management from their backyard. Always. And it never hampered them whatsoever. On the contrary, the vast majority of championship teams were led by a local coach or a local GM, or both. Toe Blake spoke French, Selke spoke French, Bowman spoke French, etc.

Hiring Bouchard and Ducharme was a great move. Guys who are accomplished in the Q and are ready for the next step. Coaches and GMs are like prospects, you need to sign some and let them grow in your culture. We talk about recycling frenchie dinosaurs. How about freaking trying young frenchie managers for a change? Some new blood please. Dont tell me there are no GM or coach prospect in the whole province. I don't believe it. If there are not, then invest in local youth programs and build back the culture from the ground and up. We used to be the Mecca of hockey. What the hell happened?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doxinoctae

Doxinoctae

Dec 16, 2018
Not true. There are some good hockey minds from Qc, but they need to be hired and given their chance. Habs have always picked management from their backyard. Always. And it never hampered them whatsoever. On the contrary, the vast majority of championship teams were led by a local coach or a local GM, or both. Toe Blake spoke French, Selke spoke French, Bowman spoke French, etc.

Hiring Bouchard and Ducharme was a great move. Guys who are accomplished in the Q and are ready for the next step. Coaches and GMs are like prospects, you need to sign some and let them grow in your culture. We talk about recycling frenchie dinosaurs. How about freaking trying young frenchie managers for a change? Some new blood please. Dont tell me there are no GM or coach prospect in the whole province. I don't believe it. If there are not, then invest in local youth programs and build back the culture from the ground and up. We used to be the Mecca of hockey. What the hell happened?
I don't think that the problem is MB (that would sure be an upgrade to have another mind in the set ), but I think that we shall start with the Molson bros to refresh and replenish this team .... Geoff is a gonghead and need to pass the flambeau to a real president. Why don't we try a Damphousse, Fiset, Roy, ect. ???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad