TVA Sports According to TVA Sports - the best candidate to replace Julien is Bob Hartley. 2nd best? Therrien

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
Why the hell would Gallant accept to coach this absolute disaster of a team.

You guys make it sound like if Bergevin makes him an offer, he's with us 100%. He's going to get a job regardless, he's not that desperate.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Therrien come back at this point since this organization is such a joke now.

Just get rid of Bergevin for Christ's sake. I honestly can't invest myself in this team anymore with this bozo being in charge.

Personally, I want Roy as GM and Groulx as coach. I want action, I want drama, I want to win, I want it all.
That would be a complete disaster - way way worse than we have now.

Reactions: Pouchkine

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Happy to see that a lot of people don't care about getting an English coach.

But the survey is still telling to me.
Familiar name always have the upper hand in the end…..even if they are a long shot from being the best.
They included Gallant cause he's a familiar name but there's no Laviolette or Boudreau in there (Even if i wouldn't have picked them)

And who in the blue hell would take Hartley before Gallant and saying with a straight face that we pick the best available coach?

Hey I'm just happy a non-francophone was selected by almost entirely francophones from a lost of almost entirely recycled francophone coaches. It confirms what I hear a lot of people saying: many, many fracophones want whoever the best coach is, regardless of language.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Hey I'm just happy a non-francophone was selected by almost entirely francophones from a lost of almost entirely recycled francophone coaches. It confirms what I hear a l he ot of people saying: many, many fracophones want whoever the best coach is, regardless of language.
The French language is doomed in MTL. Very few think it’s important to defend it anymore.

Reactions: Milhouse40

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Just to clarify - i'm saying if the Habs did that, it would appease 99% of the fans (always a few extremists). I said nothing about the media. The media likes to bitch for the sake of creating drama - that's never going to change.
Thanks for the clarification. You might be right but I'm just not as optimistic on that front. Sadly, there is a fair percentage of people that would get influenced by the media. No idea what that percentage is. It would maybe be just a vocal minority complaining but it would for sure be very annoying.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That's the multicultural and multilingual Montreal that we all like. No laws can kill that.
Actually Montreal is getting more and more english speaking to the detriment of french, I don't know if it's something we all like but it's the reality.

Anyway back on topic I'm really not sure if the club will dare to hire a non french speaking coach. It would be much simpler if an English coach could learn some basic french while here.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That's the way it was before Expo67. Downtown was all english.
Yeah but now it's not only downtown and more and more french speaking Quebecers are using English at work and internet and among friends, because mostly it's much much easier to learn... Anyway enough with this, let's stick to the hockey.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
At this point in time, is the Quebec fan base still on the coach needing to speak French? I feel that this is more open these days due to how limited we end up with our choices? How important is it today vs past years?
Of course it's important . What you need to realize is that out of Montreal/Brossard the province is probably around 95 % francophone , that when you live in region, you never talk in english because you don't need to . This fans base don't want to watch a conference from a coach that only speaks english and it's normal.
On the other side, as someone said above, all the coaches right now are playing very similar systems and the fact that a coach is bilingual doesn't limit that much your selection because they are all about the same .

I have said previously that language's a false problem that is overrated because the only thing you need to do is to hire the best available "associated coach " you can, as the Habs did with Muller .

Reactions: Pouchkine

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
The French language is doomed in MTL. Very few think it’s important to defend it anymore.
Your inner Nostradamus is way off... there's been historicaly a lot more "danger" to the french language in Mtl than right now. This kind of talk helps the biggots who live outside of Mtl with their stupid fascist ideas (like "we need to stop immigration because our culture is doooooomed, I tell you!")

Reactions: lo striver

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
TVA Sports had a show on TV yesterday evening, and they had a graphic up of the top 10 best candidates to replace Julie.

Option 1 - Bob Hartley

Option 2 - Michel Therrien

lol? I don't understand how anyone can seriously believe that - let alone air it on tv that way. It's pathetic. Therrien is the absolute worst option to bring back - considering this same core quit on him, and considering how badly things ended for him just 3 years ago...For those interrested here is a link to the story

Top 10 des candidats pour remplacer Claude Julien - TVA Sports

Gallant was ranked 9, and Babcock 10 - the only 2 non-french coaches (don't think Gallant speaks French, but could be wrong). Roy was 8th, Ducharme 3rd and Joel Bouchard 7th

SHOOT ME NOW...PLEASE!!??!!!

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Of course it's important . What you need to realize is that out of Montreal/Brossard the province is probably around 95 % francophone , that when you live in region, you never talk in english because you don't need to . This fans base don't want to watch a conference from a coach that only speaks english and it's normal.
On the other side, as someone said above, all the coaches right now are playing very similar systems and the fact that a coach is bilingual doesn't limit that much your selection because they are all about the same .

I have said previously that language's a false problem that is overrated because the only thing you need to do is to hire the best available "associated coach " you can, as the Habs did with Muller .
How is all this working out? How has it worked out the last 25 years? When you are picking from 5% of the population the chances of getting someone competent are not great, the chances of getting the best are very low. The Habs are living proof of what I claim.

Reactions: lo striver

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Your inner Nostradamus is way off... there's been historicaly a lot more "danger" to the french language in Mtl than right now. This kind of talk helps the biggots who live outside of Mtl with their stupid fascist ideas (like "we need to stop immigration because our culture is doooooomed, I tell you!")
lately it has been "OMG, now they speak French but wearing wrong headgear..." :sarcasm: but we digress...

Reactions: ItzaGreat

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
How is all this working out? How has it worked out the last 25 years? When you are picking from 5% of the population the chances of getting someone competent are not great, the chances of getting the best are very low. The Habs are living proof of what I claim.
Coaching is certainly not the reason why the club has been terrible for 25 years. General Managers and draft picks are to blame.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Coaching is certainly not the reason why the club has been terrible for 25 years. General Managers and draft picks are to blame.
Laungauge is to blame, the habs continually settle for the best French staff instead of the best staff.

Reactions: angusyoung

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
If they hire Therrien again I am finding a new team to follow, I really can't handle this anymore
I find it almost personally embarrassing even though it doesn't affect my life in any meaningful way

Reactions: Oryxo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad