Speculation: According to Sean Reynolds (Sportsnet) Winnipeg is going all in this trade deadline

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The Jets' defense has been so good this year, but they're playing a bit over their heads. Same with Names - Not an acutal #2 Centre, but the results are so good, and the prices will be so high, I'm not sure any move makes sense right now.

Tough to call, because normally I'd be looking at adding a bit more skill into our bottom-six, but I really like where those lines are right now, especially when Connor gets back into the lineup. The Jets probably need an improvement on Appleton.

I think Chevy's traded a late pick for a 6/7/8 d-man every year we've been almost good, so lock that one in. (Shout out Joe Morrow, scored the Game Winning Goal in Jets 2.0's first-ever playoff game victory)

As Jets fans, we were so completely spoiled with our first-ever "rental" when the team picked up Stats for the 2018 run, so our expectations for adds are high. He was the difference in the Nashville series, and completely overperformed 95 per cent of high-end rentals.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
They should do it. They're a good team. The fan base is rightly impatient. They've had poor play-off results the last few years. The core is in its prime. At some point you have to recognize its time to just go for it. West is wide open.
This. They look damn good this year.

Everyone talks about LV, LA, Col, Edm and Van. Somehow Winnipeg (the city we all make fun of) just flies under the radar.

I watched them lose so much when they had Hawerchuck, Ellet, Babych, going against Edm and Cal in the old Smyth division. Always have had a soft spot for the “Jets” (both orgs).

They are as deserving of a Cup run as any team.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'd rather get Barlow/McGroarty than Lambert/Lucious

Jets fans, Lindholm would be rejuvinated in WPG, and you guys would love him. Don't pretend he's just an average NHLer. He could be the piece to really put you in contention.
Maybe Lindholm is rejuvenated by a trade. Rejuvenated going to Winnipeg? Less likely.

Regardless, Jets have 2 top salary guys (Scheifele and Helle). Cant see them paying Lindholm more than they got.

Reactions: Buffdog

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

According to this article, Barlow is the Jets 5th rakned prospect. Who knows where Chevy has him ranked. But if they feel that Lindholm is what they need and they don't have to give anything from the roster up, how could they say no?

The Jets, and most teams in general, will always give up the 1st instead of the high ranked prospect on the team. They certainly don't get both unless we are talking a top 15 center in the league type deal

1st, a decent but expendable prospect (like Rashevsky, Zhilkin, Torgerson, etc) and a 4th liner is probably a realistic expectation as far as what the Jets could give up.

That's pretty comparable to the Kevin Hayes trade where we gave up a 1st, Brendan Lemieux and something else I think?

Stastny we got for a 1st and Erik Foley

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He’s averaged .86 ppg in 6 seasons in Calgary…. a 71 point pace which is one of the best in the NHL over that time span. Pretty decent for one of the best two way centers in the world.

You’re going to cherry pick his one bad half season and say he’s a 50 point player. Try again, bud. That’s the equivalent of saying William Nylander is a 116 point player.
Is Anderson looking at the Horvat and PLD contracts as comparables?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Pretty sure he can play both sides, but maybe I'm wrong.

So, Chris Tanev?

Probably getting very greedy wanting both Lindholm and Tanev :laugh:

But yes those are our only two needs. We have guys playing really well in those slots (Namestnikov, Pionk) whose careers suggest that they could for sure be plus contractors in the post season if they were a little lower in the lineup.

We need guys that aren't going to struggle to pick up the defensive structure and mess with the chemistry the team has going. Both Calgary guys git that description to a tee.

Will be fun to follow this saga as it plays out. Lots of teams are going to want these guys.

Reactions: Uncle Scrooge

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
How has Strome been since going to Washington?
his offensive numbers look ok, but I haven’t kept up with him since he left CHI…. How’s his defensive game?
Could he be a 2C possibility

Probably getting very greedy wanting both Lindholm and Tanev :laugh:

But yes those are our only two needs. We have guys playing really well in those slots (Namestnikov, Pionk) whose careers suggest that they could for sure be plus contractors in the post season if they were a little lower in the lineup.

We need guys that aren't going to struggle to pick up the defensive structure and mess with the chemistry the team has going. Both Calgary guys git that description to a tee.

Will be fun to follow this saga as it plays out. Lots of teams are going to want these guys.
Don’t want Tanev… at least I don’t

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
How has Strome been since going to Washington?
his offensive numbers look ok, but I haven’t kept up with him since he left CHI…. How’s his defensive game?
Could he be a 2C possibility

Don’t want Tanev… at least I don’t

Honestly, with how well Namestnikov has fit in... I don't want an okay center. Especially if they aren't really good defensively. Namestnikov is headed for a 50 point season with great defensive play.

If we are looking for a meaningful upgrade at 2C, we are looking for someone who could be pushing being a pt/gm player on that line with those wingers. Obviously Lindholm fits that mould for us, and a few other top teams.

If there is someone else out there we may not know about, great. But from all the options discussed, he is the only one I can say is comfortable better than Namestnikov and wouldn't disrupt the role and chemistry of that line.

Lindholm may not have great stats this year. But he has demonstrated over the last 5 years or so that if you put him in a middle six role with Perfetti and Ehlers/Connor, he is probably going to be a 0.75 pt/gm player with solid defense as well. Maybe even a point a game if he finds his way on to PP1. Hate to bring it up again, but basically just what Stastny was for us..

If we are able to bring in him, or a C like him, we could at least withstand an injury to one of our other C's. If one of then right now (especially Scheif) we would be screwed quick.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
for lindholm? my lord people don't know what rentals go for despite there being a deadline every year
Lindholm is going to be expensive and rentals are going to be more expensive than the past ~2 years where every team was in a cap crunch.

Lots of teams are in the playoff hunt and near the end of their current window or need results. Lindholm won't return McGroaty - but will likely cost Lucius/Chibrikov + 1st type of deal.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Lindholm is going to be expensive and rentals are going to be more expensive than the past ~2 years where every team was in a cap crunch.

Lots of teams are in the playoff hunt and near the end of their current window or need results. Lindholm won't return McGroaty - but will likely cost Lucius/Chibrikov + 1st type of
I swear to god I have to read every year why this year rentals are going to returns 1st + top prospects...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
And what do you think a rental of Lindholm's ilk will net as a rental at TDL?
Considering the other contender for his services Colorado’s top prospect is Ritchie jets can make a winning bid with a prospect like Barlow/ lambert and a 1st.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Considering the other contender for his services Colorado’s top prospect is Ritchie jets can make a winning bid with a prospect like Barlow/ lambert and a 1st.

Even Montreal's 2nd with one of those prospects is probably a better value for Calgary than Avs 1st and Ritchie.

The Jets have more cap space too, so they could in theory make the deal earlier. They are in a good position to wait for things to develop.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I swear to god I have to read every year why this year rentals are going to returns 1st + top prospects...
And the top TDL target normally does return that.

Meier went for a top prospect + 1st + bunch of young talent.
Chychrun went for the equivalent of a late 1st + top prospect (#12 overall + 2 2nds)

Lindholm will be the most sought after TDL target this year, he isn't going to be cheap.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015

Chychrun went for the equivalent of a late 1st + top prospect (#12 overall + 2 2nds)

Lindholm will be the most sought after TDL target this year, he isn't going to be cheap.
I love how I said rentals don't return that and you come back and tell me that non-rentals went for more...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I love how I said rentals don't return that and you come back and tell me that non-rentals went for more...
Meier was a essentially a pending UFA. There's a good chance a team like Boston will extend Lindholm the moment they trade for him. If you prefer we can use H. Lindholm, Duchene, etc. as another example.

You aren't competing with teams who view Lindholm as a pure rental, you also need to outbid teams that are interested in extending him.

Reactions: overlords

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

The prospect in the Meier trade was rated their 9th top prospect... big difference between a teams 9th rated prospect vs expecting a 1st and the teams #1 and #2 prospect

Reactions: Mad Dog Tannen

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Meier was a essentially a pending UFA. There's a good chance a team like Boston will extend Lindholm the moment they trade for him. If you prefer we can use H. Lindholm, Duchene, etc. as another example.

You aren't competing with teams who view Lindholm as a pure rental, you also need to outbid teams that are interested in extending him.
meier rfa with 1 year of control left
duchene went for a 1st and a conditional 1st if he re-signed in cbj
lindholm went for a 1st + 2nd +2nd and former 1st round pick in his draft +6

yes, obviously he will get more if he gets traded with an extension, but notice how I kept saying RENTALS don't return a 1st + top prospects so I don't get why you keeping brining up that he could get more if he's extended when I'm talking about rental value...

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
meier rfa with 1 year of control left
duchene went for a 1st and a conditional 1st if he re-signed in cbj
lindholm went for a 1st + 2nd +2nd and former 1st round pick in his draft +6

yes, obviously he will get more if he gets traded with an extension, but notice how I kept saying RENTALS don't return a 1st + top prospects so I don't get why you keeping brining up that he could get more if he's extended when I'm talking about rental value...
A $10 mil QO is 1 year of control?

Anyways, there's no point in talking about rental value in vacuum when there's no indication that Lindholm has a specific destination in mind. But sure, in the event that Lindholm has no desire to get a bigger paycheck by having the 8th year added to his final contract he'll go for a late 1st + B prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad