Speculation: According to Sean Reynolds (Sportsnet) Winnipeg is going all in this trade deadline

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
On his Kenny and Remny podcast last night Sean Reynolds indicated the conversations about the trade line in the jets org are different than every year in the past.

Apparently all picks and every prospect minus Rutger McGroarty are on the table.

the conversation of Sean Monahan at the deadline came up - and he put water on it immediately saying the Jets are aiming much higher at the deadline. In the past if they wanted a Lindholm skill set, they would settle for a Sean Monahan - apparently that’s not the mindset this year.

Will be interesting - not sure Avs could compete for Lindholm given Winnipegs assets.

They may be big players for a second line Centre and top 4 def.

Link to podcast below. Conversation starts at 48:20 mark. Goes on albeit rambly, for like 8-10 min.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
What do the Jets have that is better than Ritchie + a 1st

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
On his Kenny and Remny podcast last night Sean Reynolds indicated the conversations about the trade line in the jets org are different than every year in the past.

Apparently all picks and every prospect minus Rutger McGroarty are on the table.

the conversation of Sean Monahan at the deadline came up - and he put water on it immediately saying the Jets are aiming much higher at the deadline. In the past if they wanted a Lindholm skill set, they would settle for a Sean Monahan - apparently that’s not the mindset this year.

Will be interesting - not sure Avs could compete for Lindholm given Winnipegs assets.

They may be big players for a second line Centre and top 4 def.
Made 2 moves at the TDL in 18 and 19 with Statsny and Hayes. Have done it before. If this is their best shot to win, the Jets need to push. I've always said, the smaller markets that don't attract the higher quality free agents, like CBS, Ott, Edm, Win, whomever else, their windows will be shorter if their own guys don't re-up at UFA time. So, rather than a 5-6 year window that TB had, it's just a 3 year window.

Don't sit pat and go with what you have if you can make a move. I'm never a big fan of big moves, as I don't think those work out that often. Better to land that extra middle 6 F or that 2nd pair Dman that aim for the top 2-3 soon to be UFAs.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
What do the Jets have that is better than Ritchie + a 1st

Here is the jets board ranking of our prospects.

I’d say 2-7 are better or equivalent to Ritchie.

So we have quite a bit.

1. F-Rutger McGroarty 42.3%
2. F-Chaz Lucius 30.6%
3. F-Brad Lambert 40.0%
4. F-Colby Barlow 73.0%
5. D-Ville Heinola 60.2%
6. D-Elias Salomonsson 50.0%
7. F-Nikita Chibrikov 61.1%
8. G-Domenic DiVincentiis 45.3%
9. D-Declan Chisholm 54.3%
10. F-Dmitri Rashevsky
11. F-Danny Zhilkin 41.7%
12. G-Thomas Milic 38.9%
13. F-Fabian Wagner 32.1%

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Firstly, Winnipeg does not leak. Period. At best you’ll have second-hand info, but realistically you’ll have dumbed down half-truths and rumours based on tiny snippets of information from other sources. Hardly reliable.

That said, we have depth for days, we’re rolling 7 defensemen consistently, we don’t need lesser pieces. We have goaltending fully sorted. We need a really good 1C/2C option with elite, game-breaking talent that fits well in the room and can center 2 of Ehlers, Connor, Vilardi or Perfetti while staying defensively responsible. Failing that, a true top-pairing right shot D-man would be helpful but I don’t think Chevy would move out one of our right-shots to make it happen. We’ll pay for the right piece with a decently stacked prospect pool and Montreal’s 2nd (lol). Our first is likely on the table if we’re still in the same spot at the deadline.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not all years when they Jets made the playoffs did they expect to go deep so their TDL trades were minor only, I will say in the past when the team felt strongly about its chances it has been more aggressive at the TDL trading 1st rd picks & more. We shall see what this year brings, injuries etc. Monahan isn't much of any upgrade over what they have now (top 6) so I doubt he's much of a target unless he comes cheaply (for a bottom six role). Lindholm would be interesting, but trade bid war, NMC absence but depending on his willingness to extend or not, etc......I'm not expecting that would happen either, IMO Lindholm is pie in the sky dreaming for the Jets at the TDL and not realistic. I will say coming to one of the NHL's top teams might change a person's mind about extending.

I can absolutely see the Jets going after a top 4 RHD who steady defensively or two way guy and adding some bottom six depth players as insurance especially anyone good at FO's & PK. I think this is a more realistic targets then a Lindholm type of player. IMO, I'm ok being wrong haha. Chevy work your magic!

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
McGroarty, Salomonsson and to a lesser extent, Lambert (hockey trade maybe, rental no) are hell naws.
Would be hesitantly okay with any other of our top prospects being involved, depending on the asset(s) coming back obviously.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

So we have quite a bit.

1. F-Rutger McGroarty 42.3%
2. F-Chaz Lucius 30.6%
3. F-Brad Lambert 40.0%
4. F-Colby Barlow 73.0%
5. D-Ville Heinola 60.2%
6. D-Elias Salomonsson 50.0%
7. F-Nikita Chibrikov 61.1%
8. G-Domenic DiVincentiis 45.3%
9. D-Declan Chisholm 54.3%
10. F-Dmitri Rashevsky
11. F-Danny Zhilkin 41.7%
12. G-Thomas Milic 38.9%
13. F-Fabian Wagner 32.1%

It also wouldn’t be unreasonable to say that only #1 would be clearly ahead of Ritchie and that it would come down to the preference of the other teams scouting group.

Now, the fact that the Jets may feel they have five assets in this “bracket” where the Avs only have one or two - this may very well give the Jets the confidence to move much more aggressively with an offer or top anything the Avs could put together.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Monahan be perfect for them he is 29 with 9 goals and 13 assists

Lindholm is 29 with 8 goals and 16 assists. So almost the same.
A trade for Monahan would need to have so many conditions on it, that it would take an hour to decipher the endless possibilities of the final trade. And I'm not going to sugar coat it, I have a hard time coming to terms with paying what a fair rental price for him would be, given MTL was given a 1st to take him on. It's not fair, I know, just being honest.

Bond

May 10, 2012

You have some sweet hockey names in your prospect pool lol. If Winnipeg is serious than I am sure they can match an Avs offer. My backup team is the Jets because of my partner, so I wouldn't mind it lol

A trade for Monahan would need to have so many conditions on it, that it would take an hour to decipher the endless possibilities of the final trade. And I'm not going to sugar coat it, I have a hard time coming to terms with paying what a fair rental price for him would be, given MTL was given a 1st to take him on. It's not fair, I know, just being honest.
Monahan also has about 1/5th of Lindholm's defensive game. Monahan will be a good get for a conditional third that can turn into a 2nd based on games played.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
It also wouldn’t be unreasonable to say that only #1 would be clearly ahead of Ritchie and that it would come down to the preference of the other teams scouting group.

Now, the fact that the Jets may feel they have five assets in this “bracket” where the Avs only have one or two - this may very well give the Jets the confidence to move much more aggressively with an offer or top anything the Avs could put together.
Firstly, Winnipeg does not leak. Period. At best you’ll have second-hand info, but realistically you’ll have dumbed down half-truths and rumours based on tiny snippets of information from other sources. Hardly reliable.

I don’t think saying the jets are open to going all in this TD is a leak. It’s based on what the WPG beat reporters are hearing in conversations, and how different those conversations are this year.

Listen for yourself, conversation starts at 48:20 mark

Reactions: hn777

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Monahan wouldn't be a target unless its bottom six or coming cheap or every other option is off the table bc he's similar results to Names at 2C other then FO % and Monahan is a shift by shift injury risk.......safe to say he's further down any Jets target list likely. I'm sure Chevy will kick those tires but still would be considered a last resort or a low priority target.

Top 4RHD defensively sound and a good defensively sound 2C like Lindholm would be far bigger targets, not saying they will happen but it would be higher targets then Monahan ever would be.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Calum Ritchie is an Avs prospect.

Flames and Avs fans have basically agreed that if the two deal, Ritchie and 1st is a pretty good basis for a Lindholm trade. That's the reason for the comment.

Lindholm is the top piece available this TDL, if the Winnipeg comment is true, then the idea is that the basis of a bid from Winnipeg might also be around a top prospect and a 1st.

I don't know how it'll play out, but I wouldn't mind Winnipeg getting the piece they want as they are my second team.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010

Sorry for quoting you twice - technical issues. Lol

I respectfully disagree - 3 to 6 on that list are easily above Ritchie - 2 and 7 same tier.

Flames and Avs fans have basically agreed that if the two deal, Ritchie and 1st is a pretty good basis for a Lindholm trade. That's the reason for the comment.

Lindholm is the top piece available this TDL, if the Winnipeg comment is true, then the idea is that the basis of a bid from Winnipeg might also be around a top prospect and a 1st.

I don't know how it'll play out, but I wouldn't mind Winnipeg getting the piece they want as they are my second team.
They might go all in just to stop the Avs. It sounds like they are willing. I love it.

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sorry for quoting you twice - technical issues. Lol

I respectfully disagree - 3 to 6 on that list are easily above Ritchie - 2 and 7 same tier.

They might go all in just to stop the Avs. It sounds like they are willing. I love it.

It'd be nice having a legit contender from the WC that isn't trying to win more than one cup in the last decade. Winnipeg adding both Tanev and Lindholm to their core would be very interesting IMO.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
It'd be nice having a legit contender from the WC that isn't trying to win more than one cup in the last decade. Winnipeg adding both Tanev and Lindholm to their core would be very interesting IMO.

Indeed. Regardless - a bidding war only helps the flames - who need some good news/hope given huberdont

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Indeed. Regardless - a bidding war only helps the flames - who need some good news/hope given huberdont

I don't think it would be an all out bidding war. Most teams will cap their bid unless someone gets desperate in mortgaging their farm to truly go all in. I'd expect most of the packages will be relatively close so I do think Winnipeg could put together a competitive finalist offer. I'm expecting the at best the bidding war adds will be the equivalent to a 2nd and that extra value might not even be realized by the Flames for 2-3 seasons (ie: conditional picks several years out).

But who knows. Just have to wait it out and see.

This trade rumor insanity around our current core is exhausting. I just want off this ride without an experience that makes me want to hurl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad