Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
But I would massively prefer to be in the cup race for at least a deep run.

I probably lack the proper mind set to be a sports fan. To me, failure is failure, whether it happens early or late. I take zero solace in coming close. In fact, it probably upsets me more than having my hopes dashed early on. At least then, I've got most of the season for the catharsis of ranting, saying I told you so, calling for mass firings/trades, etc. :laugh:

Reactions: Ippenator

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Even if making the play-offs is a lock we still need to win 16 games after the season. What did Blues win that year? 2nd round elimination. What did they win the next year when they traded Stastny? Oh yeah, they missed the POs - by 1 point.

We don't have any young RHD dmen with top 4 potential, much less top 2. No amount of development is going to give us a Trouba replacement in the next 1.5 years.

Your scenario just doesn't happen. If it gets to that point, he walks.

I couldn't imagine being a Blues fan. I was 10 years old when they came into the league. 5 decades and counting of futility. They would have been dead to me long ago.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I probably lack the proper mind set to be a sports fan. To me, failure is failure, whether it happens early or late. I take zero solace in coming close. In fact, it probably upsets me more than having my hopes dashed early on. At least then, I've got most of the season for the catharsis of ranting, saying I told you so, calling for mass firings/trades, etc. :laugh:

I can understand that. :laugh: But I'm not that black and white. If I must lose, I at least want to be respected. :laugh:

There were a lot of feel good moments last season. I will never entirely get over losing to the fluke VGK. But that is sports. You can't win on paper.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I couldn't imagine being a Blues fan. I was 10 years old when they came into the league. 5 decades and counting of futility. They would have been dead to me long ago.

I adopted them as my favourite underdog team when the expansion happened. Red Berenson was my favourite player for a few years. I didn't fully abandon them until the WHA came along.

Now, they are my favourite Central Div rivals. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My condolences. That's a dark sounding place...

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Even if making the play-offs is a lock we still need to win 16 games after the season. What did Blues win that year? 2nd round elimination. What did they win the next year when they traded Stastny? Oh yeah, they missed the POs - by 1 point.

We don't have any young RHD dmen with top 4 potential, much less top 2. No amount of development is going to give us a Trouba replacement in the next 1.5 years.

Your scenario just doesn't happen. If it gets to that point, he walks.
That's not what I would do just what I think chevy will do observing him for 8 years now. I would have traded him 2 years ago and said as much then. Picks and prospects makes sense since we are going to lose some players in the next few years because of salary cap. Or trade him tomorrow. Thats ok too. But somehow I think chevy will hang on to the bitter end.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's not what I would do just what I think chevy will do observing him for 8 years now. I would have traded him 2 years ago and said as much then. Picks and prospects makes sense since we are going to lose some players in the next few years because of salary cap. Or trade him tomorrow. Thats ok too. But somehow I think chevy will hang on to the bitter end.

Sorry - we will just have to disagree. You have been watching some other Chevy if you think he would trade his top Dman on his way to the play-offs. Zero chance unless it brings back a roster player who will immediately help win the cup. Zero.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
The Kane + Bogo trade pt 2 here. Probably Trouba + Copp or something in the same sort of deal.

Trouba + Copp for Heinen + Krug + Pick + prospect or something similar.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Sorry - we will just have to disagree. You have been watching some other Chevy if you think he would trade his top Dman on his way to the play-offs. Zero chance unless it brings back a roster player who will immediately help win the cup. Zero.
Sorry not our best dman. And if he keeps him next year and that's a big if he will trade him at the deadline rather then let him walk for nothing.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Oy, this thread.

Lol @ a young top pairing dman's value being the highest as a few month rental. Jesus christ.

He's not going to be traded this year. They kept Myers for a run. They're not going to afford him, he's gone, and they decided not to capitalize on his overrated value, so they're in for this year.

They're not going to keep him until the TDL before UFA, and pawn him off as a rental. You do that for older players who you can't re-sign, ala Ladd, that a team doesn't want to keep either. There's a reason the Sens are trying to trade Karlsson now.

If we can't sign him in the offseason, he'll be gone, in the offseason, likely to a team with a good chance to re-sign him or one with a contract already agreed upon.

He's a top pairing dman. Being gotten to over his perceived lack of interest in staying here doesn't change that. He has more value than Ladd. He has more value than Kane.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
25 year old multiple 30 goal scorer in his last year before he becomes a ufa just got 2 2nds in a trade. Good chance he would get thst at the deadline if not more. Why hasn't Karlsson patches or penarin 2 weeks before training camps open not been traded yet. All in their last year before they walk. Probably because the calculation is they could get what they are being offered now at the deadline when injuries and a chance to make playoffs will make teams possibly spend more then than now. All things being equal it would be better for trouba to play 50 games next year and get just as much in Feb that he would fetch in July.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry not our best dman. And if he keeps him next year and that's a big if he will trade him at the deadline rather then let him walk for nothing.

Your first point is debatable, obviously. If, yes big if, he keeps him next year he will not be traded at the deadline - unless we are out of the PO race at the time. He will walk for nothing.

Reactions: Snowman

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Hypothetically, if it does somehow get to the point where trading Trouba is Chevy’s only option, what are some trade proposals that you would feel is realistic and fair?

Why is Trouba, the ONLY player with two years of control by his team that HAS to be traded? If Trouba is needed for a Cup by the Jets, the Jets have no reason to trade. This paranoia about a player reaching UFA status in Trouba's case in 2019, is puzzling. There are 90 UFA a year....they all don't get traded because teams don't want to "lose them for nothing". Actually good teams, contending teams acquire upcoming UFAs for a Cup run.

This bit where "trading Trouba is Chevy's only option" is just fantasy.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
The Fla suggestions are interesting. With all the C prospects Fla has they might actually prefer the Trocheck one. Moves out some cap and they have replacements. IDK of course, but it is possible.

I'd prefer Petro + Borgstrom over Heponiemi. Drop the pick.

The problem with Fla is that I don't see them wanting to 7+ mil D men, both on the same side. Maybe Ekblad would be willing to play the left side. We already know how Trouba feels about that. :laugh:

The other suggestions would be worth considering.

It is possible to hunt around the league and find acceptable deals. No way to know if the other teams would be interested or not but these appear to have merit to me. But is Chevy even thinking about trading Trouba? There are no signs of it. Then again, would we expect any, knowing Chevy?
Trocheck is on one of the best value contracts in the NHL. Why would the panthers prefer to trade that away?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Trocheck is on one of the best value contracts in the NHL. Why would the panthers prefer to trade that away?

Because they have several very strong C prospects who would be even cheaper. I didn't say they would prefer that. I said they might. If they are getting a big contract coming in, they might like to move a contract out, even if it is a very good value contract. Maybe they ask for an add because they are giving us such a good contract. Just a possibility.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
25 year old multiple 30 goal scorer in his last year before he becomes a ufa just got 2 2nds in a trade. Good chance he would get thst at the deadline if not more. Why hasn't Karlsson patches or penarin 2 weeks before training camps open not been traded yet. All in their last year before they walk. Probably because the calculation is they could get what they are being offered now at the deadline when injuries and a chance to make playoffs will make teams possibly spend more then than now. All things being equal it would be better for trouba to play 50 games next year and get just as much in Feb that he would fetch in July.

Kane's value was low :

1. Because he shut himself down for the season

2. The locker room issues with his teammates.

He also scored 30 goals once, not multiple times. And was a winger, which has less value than a Dman.

Ottawa is trying to get the most out of Karlsson, the Jackets want to re-sign Panarin, not trade him, and apparently Patches would have already been traded but he didn't sign the extension LA offered.

Trading a 25 year old with 1 year left on his contract and a team having the entire year to convince him to re-sign or sign him as part of the trade > trading for a few months of him. There's a reason McDonagh went for what he did. He had term left. And Trouba's a better player, and will be 2 years younger than McDonagh at the time of the trade.

They're not going to trade him at this TDL. They're going for a cup. Unless we run into injuries and are out of the playoffs, he's not being traded at this years TDL. So saying he'll be "traded at the TDL" means a few months before he's a UFA, which will bring back less than trading him before the draft.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Kane's value was low :

1. Because he shut himself down for the season

2. The locker room issues with his teammates.

He also scored 30 goals once, not multiple times. And was a winger, which has less value than a Dman.

Ottawa is trying to get the most out of Karlsson, the Jackets want to re-sign Panarin, not trade him, and apparently Patches would have already been traded but he didn't sign the extension LA offered.

Trading a 25 year old with 1 year left on his contract and a team having the entire year to convince him to re-sign or sign him as part of the trade > trading for a few months of him. There's a reason McDonagh went for what he did. He had term left. And Trouba's a better player, and will be 2 years younger than McDonagh at the time of the trade.

They're not going to trade him at this TDL. They're going for a cup. Unless we run into injuries and are out of the playoffs, he's not being traded at this years TDL. So saying he'll be "traded at the TDL" means a few months before he's a UFA, which will bring back less than trading him before the draft.
I never once said this years traded deadline always said td 2020. for all the reasons I have stated. I know he is not getting traded this deadline. I was talking about skinner also. because in a year trouba will be in that situation and keeping him till trade deadline day would have been better then what Carolina got. they could have used him 50 games and got the same or more for him at deadline. I don't care what they do with trouba. but if they keep him this year to try and re-sign him they might as well keep him the year after because they will get as much at the deadline as they would at the beginning of year and 50 games of him helping them make the playoffs for another year. should have traded him 2 years ago now chevy has to keep him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Athanasiou is just not very good either offensively or defensively. Never mind that he is a LW and we are awash in LW's. Ristolainen is just plain horrible.

Detroit might be a good target after the season. Their cap troubles will be much less next year. Hronek would be a good start. If he has a good season he might be off the table. Or he might be all we get from Detroit. We will be the ones in a weak bargaining position.

Risto is not just plain horrible:
  • He is 23 and already has played 5 NHL seasons
  • He's a high first rounder that was not picked out of place.
  • He is big and can be physical
  • He has 151 points already in the NHL - averaging over 40 points a year the past 3 years.
  • He is playing on one of the worst modern day NHL teams.
Sure, he has a lot of room for improvement, but being that age and expected to lead a terrible team from the back end isn't something many guys fare well with.

He is not horrible.

Reactions: voyageur

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Risto is not just plain horrible:
  • He is 23 and already has played 5 NHL seasons
  • He's a high first rounder that was not picked out of place.
  • He is big and can be physical
  • He has 151 points already in the NHL - averaging over 40 points a year the past 3 years.
  • He is playing on one of the worst modern day NHL teams.
Sure, he has a lot of room for improvement, but being that age and expected to lead a terrible team from the back end isn't something many guys fare well with.

He is not horrible.

I left out the word 'defensively'. He is horrible defensively. His offense isn't enough to compensate. ..... IMO

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I left out the word 'defensively'. He is horrible defensively. His offense isn't enough to compensate. ..... IMO
I don't know if this can be fully judged with a young defenseman playing on such a consistently weak team. He might look quite different with better linemates and a little easier usage.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I also think he is not horrible, defensively (I will admit I haven't watched a ton of him). Yes I think he's struggled and that is due to the team he is on and being asked to punch higher than his weight class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad