Prospect Info: Abramov Leaves for KHL

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Damn I remember being excited about those trades with Columbus.
Right the next day we traded Dzingel for Duclair and two 2nd rounders that Pierre ended up wasting on Matt Murray and Derek Stepan.
I'm still amazed we have prospect depth after all these patented Dorion veteran trades.
Thompson pick is tough too when another Finnish d was taken right after him and is progressing well. Still lots of time for Lassi though so we’ll see.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
KHL salaries are getting low now, because the country is under heavy sanctions. I think it is 12 million US per team. So Abramov probably signed for 500k a year, no more. Not an ideal situation for him, but better then AHL. Abramov is skilled enough to be top six, but has no place in Ottawa lineup. And he is not a role player and not super skilled enogh to be a points producer. But Abramov is willing to go to the net and take punishment. Plays hard and good at cycling a puck. The way playoffs are managed by the league, when skills are not promoted and more sizable and hard working teams will always win. And that's why Toronto will have a hard time against Winnipeg.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Thompson pick is tough too when another Finnish d was taken right after him and is progressing well. Still lots of time for Lassi though so we’ll see.

That was very strange to chose a player with a low hockey IQ. Dorion as always shitted the bed with this pick. I think they even traded up to get him, when every scout marveled about Ville Heinola hockey IQ and processing the game at the high speeds. It is just an incredible f*ck up, one of many Dorion committed.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Just another bad 23 year old for Sens twitter to drone on and on about losing for nothing. 'Asset management' they're bleating, I'm sure.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just another bad 23 year old for Sens twitter to drone on and on about losing for nothing. 'Asset management' they're bleating, I'm sure.

Amazing you keep saying this garbage even though hardly anyone is upset by Abramov walking.

People were upset by Balcers being waived and turned out to be completely justified. Less so in the Wolanin case.

More people should be upset that we traded a haul for Duchene and now all we're left with is Lassi.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
*Checks KHL goalie stats*.... A what league?
Fair - I hadn't looked at stats when I wrote that.

Based on players that head over there seems it must be more wide open than AHL but I guess not.

Reactions: Bevans

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
This is the best thing that could possibly happen for us. Gives him time to develop without being subject to waivers. Interested to see how he develops.

Amazing you keep saying this garbage even though hardly anyone is upset by Abramov walking.

People were upset by Balcers being waived and turned out to be completely justified. Less so in the Wolanin case.

More people should be upset that we traded a haul for Duchene and now all we're left with is Lassi.
lol whooooo cares. "More people should be upset".... it was a brutal trade that we've very quickly rebounded from.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Good for Abramov

Better money, back home after years, might get his pro career really "on track" and could still come back to the NHL in a few years to make serious money after he's an established KHL star (yes, like Dadonov. They're actually kinda similar when you think of it lol)

Wold have been stucked in a number's game here and would have needed to wait for a trade to get a real chance but with how things have been with the last 2 Covid seasons, he's probably making the right decision. He can just come back to the NHL later

And what the "defendors at all costs" still don't understand is that it's not losing Balcers on waivers in itself that was stupid (I mean if you're a stacked team and lose Balcers on waivers, it's understandable). It was waiving him to make sure you don't waive guys like Stepan, Anisimov (good careers but done at the NHL level), Paquette (really didn't want to be in Ottawa), Galchenyuk (that we were not going to put in a position to succeed anyways). It's for that reason that it was very shortsighted

Heck I would have prefered Balcers to play Center than either Stepan or Anisimov.

I mean, what happened towards the beginning of the season and the 2-12-1 record (which cost a playoff spot in the end), pretty much validated our whole complaining about Dorion moves... The team improved DRASTICALLY as his offseason mistakes got fixed.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I am actually upset about him leaving!

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I never considered Abramov or Balcers to be more than bubble players at best, so no great loss. IMO we have better prospects who have or will have passed them anyway, Sokolov IMO is the better prospect over Abramov & Jarventie & Crookshank IMO are better prospects than Balcers.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Always better to have a few more (additional) prospects in the cupboard. Stuff happens, so better to have a little extra and insurance against shrinkage.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is the best thing that could possibly happen for us. Gives him time to develop without being subject to waivers. Interested to see how he develops.
Yeah, I'm not seeing a big downside here, he won't be available for callups or the Belleville team, but I think this counts as defected and we retain he rights, correct?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, I'm not seeing a big downside here, he won't be available for callups or the Belleville team, but I think this counts as defected and we retain he rights, correct?

Not exactly sure but if we QO him he we will definitely retain his rights until after his contract ends. Not sure how long beyond that and under what circumstances... but I see this as a development path for him. Play in a tougher league and come back (hopefully) overripe and ready to contribute. When his contract ends, he will be around the same age as Zub was when he came over (a little younger I believe).

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Sounds more like you complaining about complaints you haven’t even seen?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

How was it justified? Balcers wouldn't be on the Sens right now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not exactly sure but if we QO him he we will definitely retain his rights until after his contract ends. Not sure how long beyond that and under what circumstances... but I see this as a development path for him. Play in a tougher league and come back (hopefully) overripe and ready to contribute. When his contract ends, he will be around the same age as Zub was when he came over (a little younger I believe).
I suppose he could have an NHL out clause too if he lights it up next year and we offer a one way to bring him back early.

Anyways, seems like a solution that could work for both parties,

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

If you're not upset that the team didn't give him a chance to play for more than 1 game, you really need to ask yourself, "Am I fan or a masochist?"

It was dumb to not see what we have with him and Logan when the season was over a month or so in.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I hope he kills it in the KHL and comes back to us as a someone who solidifies a top 9 spot. I wish he'd stick around and be a part of the years where the current roster has to grind out every win, that kinda stuff can build resilience but then again not sure he'd be given a chance to even play given how our management has chosen to develop a few prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad