Abbotsford Canucks Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
should combine that guy with the lighting guy in Wenatchee (vs PG) every whistle you get high school rollerdance lights all over the ice seizuring everyone

I’ve actually shut the game off after two periods because the combination of Abbotsford sucking and a PBP guy that makes Jack Edwards seem like Jim Robson was too much to bear, and I’m someone who watches every single game to the bitter end no matter what, usually.

• Wow
Reactions: quat and CanucksMJL

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
@MS did you see the picture - i edited in after

this lighting is hilarious

lol - puck chipped out of play - LIGHTS... offside - LIGHTS..

Reactions: MS

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
One of those games where I'm ready to hit sell on everyone, then have to remind myself of all the guys MIA from the lineup, and the lineup chosen by Colliton.

Cole McWard coming back was interesting, mostly because he was sheltered quite a lot throughout the game. Once again Matt Irwin was asked to eat the bulk of the minutes. Think he played with everyone tonight, wolanin, mcward, woo, joyaux, schmiemann...natural side, off side...he was everywhere.

Nielsen probably had his best game, but i mean the guy had a single shot on goal, lol.
Silovs getting beaten a handful of times while square to shooters over the last few games. Is he back to where he was in late October? Or is this just the product of being behind a spotty/inexperienced d-group?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Better 1st period tonight for Abbotsford. Karlsson and McWard score to put the team up 2-0, then Wolanin - who has really been struggling since his injury and wasn't at the levels of last year even before that - made an awful play to basically give away a goal to make it 2-1.

Cicek is a LHS but is playing at RD next to Irwin, interestingly. Low event period for him.

I still can't get over this PBP guy. When McWard scored, he monotoned it and then literally never even mentioned which Canuck scored the goal. Mostly calls every Tucson player by his first name and the team as 'we' like he's hoping they invite him to a party. Starts randomly screaming for no apparent reason, but also seems to totally not notice prime scoring chances and doesn't even mention they happen. Doesn't even bother calling entire shifts, instead rattling off inane stats like 'the Roadrunners have had at least 8 shots on net in 8 of their last 9 home periods'. Literally goes 5 minutes at a stretch without naming a Canuck player. It's actually incredible that something this bad is allowed to exist - it's like some sort of parody of a terrible announcer from a movie, but it's real.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Really strong effort tonight in a 6-2 win to end a 4-game losing streak where the team really hasn't played very well. Solid road game, had the majority of chances and were full value for the win.

- Linus Karlsson scored twice but then was injured midway through the 3rd period when he took a massive hit after making a pass. Went back and watched it several times and I think the hit was legal, though, and I'm wondering if he was winded or broken ribs rather than a concussion because it looked more like chest contact than head contact.

- Cicek was mostly pretty low-event aside from one terrible turnover in the 2nd period. Looked like he was going to scrap the guy who hit Karlsson as they were talking before a whistle but the refs through both of them out of the game before that had a chance to happen. Interestingly was playing RD with Irwin even though he's a LHS. Finished +2 so a pretty decent start.

- Bains and Podkolzin were both much better after very poor games yesterday. Bains must have heard the SOG criticism because he had 4 tonight. Podkolzin had a couple nice setups including McWard's goal and a few other good shots on goal.

- Raty is basically the same player as Brendan Gaunce, except a little bigger and a little slower. Solid defensive game tonight and did well on the OT goal but there is *zero* 2C upside here.

- Marc Gatcomb is quietly good in all 3 zones every night and I think he wouldn't look out of place if he was called up and put on an NHL 4th line in an emergency. Probably the most fundamentally sound player on the team outside of Matt Irwin.

- Tristan Nielsen was really good in his first couple games coming back off a concussion but he was really poor in this 2-game series. When his effort level isn't 110% and he isn't agitating and moving his feet he looks very limited.

- Wolanin just hasn't looked right since his injury. Bumbled with the puck to give away the 1-0 goal and just hasn't looked sharp or confident and isn't making the same impact. Struggling on the PP as well where he hasn't been nearly as good as last year.

- Tolopilo was solid. The two goals were a breakaway and a 2-on-1.

How's Podkolzin looking?

See above. Better today after a very poor game yesterday. Picked up an assist and was involved in several scoring chances.

He's been hit and miss since coming back from his injury. First few games were very tentative, then he had a *terrific* series against Laval, then was meh in the games against Coachella.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Really strong effort tonight in a 6-2 win to end a 4-game losing streak where the team really hasn't played very well. Solid road game, had the majority of chances and were full value for the win.

- Linus Karlsson scored twice but then was injured midway through the 3rd period when he took a massive hit after making a pass. Went back and watched it several times and I think the hit was legal, though, and I'm wondering if he was winded or broken ribs rather than a concussion because it looked more like chest contact than head contact.

- Cicek was mostly pretty low-event aside from one terrible turnover in the 2nd period. Looked like he was going to scrap the guy who hit Karlsson as they were talking before a whistle but the refs through both of them out of the game before that had a chance to happen. Interestingly was playing RD with Irwin even though he's a LHS. Finished +2 so a pretty decent start.

- Bains and Podkolzin were both much better after very poor games yesterday. Bains must have heard the SOG criticism because he had 4 tonight. Podkolzin had a couple nice setups including McWard's goal and a few other good shots on goal.

- Raty is basically the same player as Brendan Gaunce, except a little bigger and a little slower. Solid defensive game tonight and did well on the OT goal but there is *zero* 2C upside here.

- Marc Gatcomb is quietly good in all 3 zones every night and I think he wouldn't look out of place if he was called up and put on an NHL 4th line in an emergency. Probably the most fundamentally sound player on the team outside of Matt Irwin.

- Tristan Nielsen was really good in his first couple games coming back off a concussion but he was really poor in this 2-game series. When his effort level isn't 110% and he isn't agitating and moving his feet he looks very limited.

- Wolanin just hasn't looked right since his injury. Bumbled with the puck to give away the 1-0 goal and just hasn't looked sharp or confident and isn't making the same impact. Struggling on the PP as well where he hasn't been nearly as good as last year.

- Tolopilo was solid. The two goals were a breakaway and a 2-on-1.

See above. Better today after a very poor game yesterday. Picked up an assist and was involved in several scoring chances.

He's been hit and miss since coming back from his injury. First few games were very tentative, then he had a *terrific* series against Laval, then was meh in the games against Coachella.
Great report. Any thoughts (from you or anyone) on Ty Glover? I always find myself pulling for the guys who do some time in the ECHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Great report. Any thoughts (from you or anyone) on Ty Glover? I always find myself pulling for the guys who do some time in the ECHL.

He barely played tonight. Nychuk was dressed as 7th D and that 4th line winger pair probably only played 5 or 6 minutes. Ended up +2 as he was on the ice for the unassisted McDonough and Stevens goals on terrible Tucson turnovers.

I thought he looked pretty decent in some of his earlier games, though. Seems to have decent size and compete, skating is ok in straight lines but he seems to struggle with quick stop-starts and turns/edgework. Looks like he has a cannon of a shot from the ECHL highlights but we haven't really seen that at all yet at this level.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
He barely played tonight. Nychuk was dressed as 7th D and that 4th line winger pair probably only played 5 or 6 minutes. Ended up +2 as he was on the ice for the unassisted McDonough and Stevens goals on terrible Tucson turnovers.

I thought he looked pretty decent in some of his earlier games, though. Seems to have decent size and compete, skating is ok in straight lines but he seems to struggle with quick stop-starts and turns/edgework. Looks like he has a cannon of a shot from the ECHL highlights but we haven't really seen that at all yet at this level.
Excellent. Where else could I get this sort of info? Nowhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Watching the highlights of the goals, the Tucson announcer is hilariously bad. You could pick someone off the street and they’d do better.
LOL!.....the announcer shrieks at the top of his voice whenever the Roadrunners even direct a shot on goal. And his monotone announcement of the Canuck goals is also laughable.

But that's the price you pay for following the Abbotsford Canucks on the AHL Network. You're stuck with home announcers, because there's no visiting broadcasts in the AHL.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

Is it possible to be slower than Gaunce? I actually think Gaunce is a decent comparator for Raty's floor. As far as upside, Raty's shot is better and he has high end IQ. I agree though that a 2nd line centre is highly unlikely. His ceiling is closer to Malholtra.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Is it possible to be slower than Gaunce? I actually think Gaunce is a decent comparator for Raty's floor. As far as upside, Raty's shot is better and he has high end IQ. I agree though that a 2nd line centre is highly unlikely. His ceiling is closer to Malholtra.

By 2018 or so, Gaunce was - and I'm not joking here - literally one of the fastest players on the Utica Comets and was regularly burning players wide off the rush at this level. I'm not going to claim his skating was good relative to NHL players but the overreaction to his 'terrible skating' was comical. Markus Granlund was a much worse skater but not a single person commented on it in 4 years because bad-skating smaller players aren't as noticeable.

Anyways, yeah. Raty is slower than Gaunce. He is a bit bigger and does have a better shot, though ... but both are the same kind of big, grindy, low-event bottom-6 guy.

Gaunce would have been an NHLer if he didn't run into Jim Benning, so this is not any sort of negative toward Raty.

Feb 20, 2013
By 2018 or so, Gaunce was - and I'm not joking here - literally one of the fastest players on the Utica Comets and was regularly burning players wide off the rush at this level. I'm not going to claim his skating was good relative to NHL players but the overreaction to his 'terrible skating' was comical. Markus Granlund was a much worse skater but not a single person commented on it in 4 years because bad-skating smaller players aren't as noticeable.

Anyways, yeah. Raty is slower than Gaunce. He is a bit bigger and does have a better shot, though ... but both are the same kind of big, grindy, low-event bottom-6 guy.

Gaunce would have been an NHLer if he didn't run into Jim Benning, so this is not any sort of negative toward Raty.
I actually have a lot of time for Gaunce and still think he is a better player than the NHL time he has been given. Gaunce isn't slow, he just isn't quick or agile at all. He has good straight line speed and can be hard to stop once he gets going, it just takes time for him to reach top speed or change directions. Secondly, there is no way Raty is bigger than Gaunce. Gaunce is probably 6'3, 220 - big even for NHL standards. Raty is tall, but more slender. Raty definitely has a better shot and puck skills. It will always be tough for guys who aren't good skaters to stick in the NHL, but better to be a Raty style prospect than Will Lockwood IMO.

Reactions: andora

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I actually have a lot of time for Gaunce and still think he is a better player than the NHL time he has been given. Gaunce isn't slow, he just isn't quick or agile at all. He has good straight line speed and can be hard to stop once he gets going, it just takes time for him to reach top speed or change directions. Secondly, there is no way Raty is bigger than Gaunce. Gaunce is probably 6'3, 220 - big even for NHL standards. Raty is tall, but more slender. Raty definitely has a better shot and puck skills. It will always be tough for guys who aren't good skaters to stick in the NHL, but better to be a Raty style prospect than Will Lockwood IMO.
Lockwood is getting NHL games again this season. Doing very little in them, just like when he played in the NHL with us, but he is getting them.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

I haven't seen him much if at all since the preseason, but I don't know how many worse skaters I've ever seen in an NHL sweater than Raty. It reminded me of Casey Pierro-Zabotel with the Giants where you'd see him skate and just think "oof. Poor kid."

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Lockwood is getting NHL games again this season. Doing very little in them, just like when he played in the NHL with us, but he is getting them.
looks like he is not hurting them with a .963 on ice save % in a small sample size. on paper lockwood busted long ago as too small and too lacking in offensive skill, but he's a smart guy who is making the most of his skating and limited tools. i would love to see him eke out a career.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I haven't seen him much if at all since the preseason, but I don't know how many worse skaters I've ever seen in an NHL sweater than Raty. It reminded me of Casey Pierro-Zabotel with the Giants where you'd see him skate and just think "oof. Poor kid."
No doubt skating is the main challenge for Raty. He still skates a little like a young, bigger, player who is trying to figure out how to get the best out of his stride. He only turned 21 about a month ago. He likely still has some physical maturing to do. We'll see how it goes. The goal now should be to get his skating to an adequate level and let his other solid attributes justify a long NHL career.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont know why people get so hung up on top end skating speed. How many times in a game with 10 players on the ice do players get to exhibit their top speed without being bothered in the first 20feet having to exhibit another skill.

Gaunce was the ultimate nothing burger. Had 1 plus trait....size/strength.

While sure he might be a tad faster at the 20 meter mark of an on ice sprint. Raty is quicker, has better agility, hands, passing, offensive awareness and anticipation.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Gaunce lacked agility and simply couldn't change directions fast enough. Various team gave him a chance but he lasted nowhere. Should never have been drafted in the first round given his skating. Like many - great Junior, poor NHLer.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I dont know why people get so hung up on top end skating speed. How many times in a game with 10 players on the ice do players get to exhibit their top speed without being bothered in the first 20feet having to exhibit another skill.

Gaunce was the ultimate nothing burger. Had 1 plus trait....size/strength.

While sure he might be a tad faster at the 20 meter mark of an on ice sprint. Raty is quicker, has better agility, hands, passing, offensive awareness and anticipation.
I thought his trait was that he wasn't poor at anything? Only thing was, I don't think he was especially good at anything either (going my memory).

Reactions: sting101

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
After 26 minutes of truly ugly hockey with some of the worst passing that I've ever seen at this level, it's fitting that Abbotsford opened the scoring on an ugly goal as Sasson's wrist shot deflects off of an Ontario player's stick and goes over the goalie's blocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad