Abbotsford Canucks Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
More penalties. This time Woo for tripping. Firebirds go to their 3rd PP of the night.

Now Dries goes off for slashing. 5 on 3 for the Firebirds.

Poturalski scores. 2-1 Firebirds.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I'm in and out tonight so I missed the Canucks goal again but it's all tied up again after 2 periods. Raty scored the equalizer on the PP. Shots were 8-6 in that period for the Canucks and tied 19-19 overall.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
3-2 Abbotsford early in the third. Second straight PP goal by Raty, both goals assisted by Karlsson and Podkolzin (they've credited Bains with the secondary assist this time but that is a mistake), and both times the goalie got a piece of Raty's shot but not enough.
Thanks for the update. Looks like I'm coming down with something tonight so I'm not really paying attention much. Looks like Abbotsford is having a good 3rd period so far though.

Reactions: Vector

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Thanks for the update. Looks like I'm coming down with something tonight so I'm not really paying attention much. Looks like Abbotsford is having a good 3rd period so far though.
They've played a pretty solid game except for taking too many penalties.

Reactions: Jay26

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Dries loses his cool, delivers a retaliatory high stick to a CV defenceman in the last minute of the third period and gets a major penalty. The ninth PP for Coachella tonight, they've scored one PP goal so far (during a 5v3). Abbotsford survives the first part of the PP to get to overtime and secure a point.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Wolanin took a slashing penalty to give CV a 5v3 for 1:24. Just a few seconds after the first penalty expired, CV buried one from the left faceoff circle to win 4-3.

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What an awful game to watch. Coachella scores in OT on their 35th PP of the game to win.

A couple chintzy calls but mostly a lot of dumb play from veteran players. Dries in particular with an idiotic play that cost the team the game.

Raty did well to finish two bumper goals on the PP. Not a lot of other standouts in a game that was very low-event at ES and then had close to 20 minutes of SH time. Thought Marc Gatcomb was probably overall the best Canuck.

Team is feeling the huge amount of injuries especially on D.

Reactions: Vector

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Tough game to watch for Abby fans. The club overcame the usual Coachella pressure and some baby-soft penalties in the first period to trade even against a highly-ranked power play. Unfortunately, I think the lack of defensive depth hurt them badly. The vets did not move the needle offensively and took a bunch of penalties when fatigue set in, which cost them the game.

I like Quinn Schmiemann's offensive play, but he looks lost in the d-zone; the same can be said about Chad Nychuk and Michael Joyaux. Pretty atypical of undrafted overagers.

Matt Irwin must've played 28 or 29 minutes last night. The dude was out on every PK, and when the team was trailing, he was out every second shift. Interestingly, AKL, who was playing as a 4th line winger, slotted in on the PK as a D-partner for Irwin after the 3-3 goal with Nychuk and Schmiemann on the ice. AKL's always had a positive share of goals for/goals against at 5-on-5 as a defenceman. Might need to get him back in his actual position to survive this road trip.

Others thoughts:
> A disappointing game for Jack Studnicka. Regardless of matchups or role, the guy who knocked down the door at Canucks training camp has done anything other than that in Abbotsford. Guy *should* be the best player on the ice for Abbotsford every shift, but I barely noticed him outside of one or two breakaway rushes.
> Another quiet game from Podkolzin. Though he led the team in shots, he wasn't driving the net or leading possession the way you'd hoped. I know that Max McCormick, Kole Lind, and Andrew Poturalski are a giga-stacked AHL line, but Podkolzin-Studnicka-Dries on a line together should be driving play better than they do.
> Räty playing strong lately. Less swagger in this game than he did in the last. But two goals is two goals! Liked seeing him get 3rd-shift PK reps in the final 30 of a PK, but Colliton went away from that late, when the penalties kept stacking up. He stuck to his vets, which may have worked against him.
> Aidan McDonough had a few nice moves in the offensive zone. Still not sold on his overall game. But he used his frame well to shield the puck, move around the ice, and give himself a scoring chance, which was great. Need to see more of that from a guy his size.
> Nielsen's a bowling ball, but his lack of defensive IQ is going to deny him opportunities. I'd love to see him thrown on the PK as the roving F1 around the point. He has the wheels and physicality to break up passing plays. But like I said, d-zone IQ isn't great at evens, so I understand the reluctance to go to him there.
> Don't look now but Arshdeep Bains' production has cooled off massively. Five points in his last 10 games after 16 in his first 10. AHL gave him an assist on the second Räty goal, but points should be for Karlsson and Podkolzin.
> Silovs played fine, but getting beat over the shoulder while square to the shooter with no screen was a tough look. Canucks PK did an absurd amount of work to limit shots on the man advantage, so to see him beat like that at evens after all that work was a bit of a deflator
> Dries' penalty was so so so so so stupid. I get the frustration during a game like that, but with a minute left and after having already killed 7 of 8 Coachella power plays, why you doing that? Hope he apologized to the team after that one.

Wrote about the game for CanucksArmy in case you missed it:

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Tough game to watch for Abby fans. The club overcame the usual Coachella pressure and some baby-soft penalties in the first period to trade even against a highly-ranked power play. Unfortunately, I think the lack of defensive depth hurt them badly. The vets did not move the needle offensively and took a bunch of penalties when fatigue set in, which cost them the game.

I like Quinn Schmiemann's offensive play, but he looks lost in the d-zone; the same can be said about Chad Nychuk and Michael Joyaux. Pretty atypical of undrafted overagers.

Matt Irwin must've played 28 or 29 minutes last night. The dude was out on every PK, and when the team was trailing, he was out every second shift. Interestingly, AKL, who was playing as a 4th line winger, slotted in on the PK as a D-partner for Irwin after the 3-3 goal with Nychuk and Schmiemann on the ice. AKL's always had a positive share of goals for/goals against at 5-on-5 as a defenceman. Might need to get him back in his actual position to survive this road trip.

Others thoughts:
> A disappointing game for Jack Studnicka. Regardless of matchups or role, the guy who knocked down the door at Canucks training camp has done anything other than that in Abbotsford. Guy *should* be the best player on the ice for Abbotsford every shift, but I barely noticed him outside of one or two breakaway rushes.
> Another quiet game from Podkolzin. Though he led the team in shots, he wasn't driving the net or leading possession the way you'd hoped. I know that Max McCormick, Kole Lind, and Andrew Poturalski are a giga-stacked AHL line, but Podkolzin-Studnicka-Dries on a line together should be driving play better than they do.
> Räty playing strong lately. Less swagger in this game than he did in the last. But two goals is two goals! Liked seeing him get 3rd-shift PK reps in the final 30 of a PK, but Colliton went away from that late, when the penalties kept stacking up. He stuck to his vets, which may have worked against him.
> Aidan McDonough had a few nice moves in the offensive zone. Still not sold on his overall game. But he used his frame well to shield the puck, move around the ice, and give himself a scoring chance, which was great. Need to see more of that from a guy his size.
> Nielsen's a bowling ball, but his lack of defensive IQ is going to deny him opportunities. I'd love to see him thrown on the PK as the roving F1 around the point. He has the wheels and physicality to break up passing plays. But like I said, d-zone IQ isn't great at evens, so I understand the reluctance to go to him there.
> Don't look now but Arshdeep Bains' production has cooled off massively. Five points in his last 10 games after 16 in his first 10. AHL gave him an assist on the second Räty goal, but points should be for Karlsson and Podkolzin.
> Silovs played fine, but getting beat over the shoulder while square to the shooter with no screen was a tough look. Canucks PK did an absurd amount of work to limit shots on the man advantage, so to see him beat like that at evens after all that work was a bit of a deflator
> Dries' penalty was so so so so so stupid. I get the frustration during a game like that, but with a minute left and after having already killed 7 of 8 Coachella power plays, why you doing that? Hope he apologized to the team after that one.

Wrote about the game for CanucksArmy in case you missed it:

Don’t think Dries Studnicka and Podz have ever played together. I see Podkolzin quietly finishing a lot hits, but why bother noboby cares. Great to see Bains to rack assists that he didn’t make.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Bains is goalless in his last 13 games and has only six shots on goal during that time.

Kid's just not a shooter. 3 goals on 19 shots this season. Of the guys' who've played 5+ games, he's second last in shot rate. Less than a shot on net per game (0.95), Josh Bloom (10 gp) was shooting 0.93 shots/gp before getting sent down to the ECHL

I'll wait til the halfway mark of the season before making any declarative statements, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned that the outrageous point pace to start the season was just a product of "early AHL season PDO benders" where every AHL team's PK is brutal and every powerplay is lethal.

Don’t think Dries Studnicka and Podz have ever played together. I see Podkolzin quietly finishing a lot hits, but why bother noboby cares. Great to see Bains to rack assists that he didn’t make.

When trailing, late in the game, Colliton shortens his bench and throws out his most-experienced guys together. Usually see 9 different combinations of Dries-Studnicka-Podzkolin-Karlsson-Nielsen-Bains. They're not a regular feature, but Podz has played with Studnicka/Dries infrequently and enough to where I'm surprised that they don't generate much at 5-on-5

Reactions: Lindgren and Jay26

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Tuscon PBP guy is literally the worst thing to ever happen in the history of humanity.

‘Mitch carries the puck into the zone … passes it to Steve … OOOOOOOHHHHHH … Steve pushes it into the corner … (long pause while Abbotsford has the puck and he doesn’t know any player names) … Aku has the puck at center … OOOOHH … dumps it in’

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Like, I can’t even explain how bad this is.

I think Abbotsford has been terrible but it’s incredibly confusing when nothing is happening and then the PBP guy is screaming and you assume McSorely has poleaxed Brashear behind the play but no.

Also there has been a name of an Abbotsford player mentioned about every 5 minutes so it’s hard to figure out who’s going what if you can’t see the jersey number.

5-0 Tucson midway through the 2nd but I’m about a half hour behind. 2 SHG against on the same PP.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Like, I can’t even explain how bad this is.

I think Abbotsford has been terrible but it’s incredibly confusing when nothing is happening and then the PBP guy is screaming and you assume McSorely has poleaxed Brashear behind the play but no.

Also there has been a name of an Abbotsford player mentioned about every 5 minutes so it’s hard to figure out who’s going what if you can’t see the jersey number.

5-0 Tucson midway through the 2nd but I’m about a half hour behind. 2 SHG against on the same PP.
should combine that guy with the lighting guy in Wenatchee (vs PG) every whistle you get high school rollerdance lights all over the ice seizuring everyone

lol
1702700916887.png

• Haha
Reactions: MS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad