Abbotsford Canucks Talk | Part 2

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Abby hung back in the third and let Condors take the play too them. Ended up caving and showed some very poor defensive coverage.

For some reason Karlsson and Dries were late scratches and Loewen (barely played - maybe three shifts) and Zlodeev added to the lineup.

On the players

Raty - playing at center and really that's where he needs to be. Good at maintaining central postion in the play. Best attribute might be his ability to read the situation and support the play both offensively and defensively. Thought he looked a little quicker although that's were still where he must improve most. Gets enough speed and he should play in the NHL. Long term likely the best prospect in Abbotsford.

Podkolzin - lot more hope than conviction in his play. Still tenative with the puck movement on the PP and more hanging around the play than driving it. Needs to be more involved in the fore-check

Zlodeev - actually scored a nice goal. Got the puck in the slot and rifled one home to the top of the net. Zlodeev played both center and wing and overall not entirely out of place.

Sasson - made some good set ups and again showed good puck management. Should have got more time late in the game.

Neilson Typically he had those flashes were he provided some needed offense. Has talent but lacks overall game.

Bains - not perfect but again broke up plays and got open for chances. Shows the mentality and determination needed to move up to another level and his game maybe the nearest to NHL caliber. Overall speed may be a limiting factor.

Cicek - got badly out of position on a couple of the goals. Team went with 7 d-men and Cicek didn't seem to get that much time.

Woo - thought he was awful. Kicked in one goal for the Condors (which started the come back) after he had badly turned the puck over in his zone. Passes were consitently poor. Had Wolanin and Irwin baby sitting him but even that couldn't keep out of trouble. Seems to me that Woo loses concentration and track of the situation thus becoming more reactive than proactive. OK when he gets into a pattern but doesn't seem to have the instinctive reactions a player at the NHL level requires.

Glover - had limited time but made himself a factor. (got three points) Has looked decent in all his callups and supplies some energy.

Stevens - played a lot late in the game. I guess he was suppose to provide some vet defense. Instead he repeatly lost face-offs and had weak coverage around the front of the net. I'd say a key factor in leading to the loss.

Mc Donaugh - very little happening here.

Karlsson is on his way to meet the NHL team for their road trip as he was called up. Not sure about Dries.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Can't argue with the assessment of Woo....might have been one of the worst games I've seen him play since subscribing to the AHL Network.

He just looks slow, and small out there. And like Rathbone before him, he could fall victim to an influx of some of the younger d-men the Canucks have drafted in recent years.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
They've never announced it but I'm pretty sure that he's concussed. In fact, I wonder if perhaps he has had two concussions this season. Also took a nasty head shot from one of the Calgary Wranglers' goon squad last season. Kind of concerned about his future.

I'd have to go back and check, but I could've sworn in the first game he missed after returning from his first injury stint, Brandon Astle (PBP guy) pointed out that Klimovich had taken a slapshot off the hand in the first period of the previous game.

On one hand, I commend the club for getting a three-goal lead despite missing a third of their top six and Marc Gatcomb, who is a pretty legit PK/energy guy. But the bench-shortening in the third really killed them in the third period. Team leaned heavily on Wouters-Stevens-Bains and it bit them in the ass in a bad way.

Can't disagree with Orcatown's assessment.

I will add, I think Cicek missed a lot of the game after taking an unintentional baseball swing to the face from Ty Glover, who had an excellent game in spite of the friendly fire incident.

Aidan McDonough... yeah, not sure there's anything there. Rarely uses his size to shield the puck, if he ever actually has it. Way too soft along the boards. The 2-2 goal was the result of him losing a tie-up in the neutral zone. The rest of his line (and jett woo) were playing ridiculously high in the neutral zone with zero support for him, but it was still another lost battle in a season of lost battles for him.

Bains was playing a little too cheeky at times and skated himself into trouble a concerning amount. When his line plays things straight, lots of skating and stretch-passes to create space, they score (see Bains tap-in off the Nielsen cross-ice feed). When they try to spin, or cut through the middle of the ice all alone, they almost always lose possession. They're quick skaters (Bains included) but they don't have that elite-separation ability to attempt this stuff.

Podkolzin, I think it's near time to sell for whatever you can. Dude registered 8 shots on net, but he just looks so timid with and without the puck. I worry that the hit from Middleton really f***ed him up. Guy has the wheels to carry the puck toward the net on his own on every possession, but doesn't. Lack of any PK time isn't great either and doesn't bode well for his future as an NHL bottom six fixture.

Nielsen is fun to watch, clutch as hell, but the lack of PK reps or ice time in close-out garbage time when ahead says it all. The coaching staff don't believe in his defensive chops. He can win board battles and push the puck out of the d-zone, but obviously there's something about his man-to-man coverage that they don't like.

Zlodeev has good defensive instincts, and has a great first skate, but falls off after his initial burst. Good on him for scoring his first goal. I could see him becoming a Marc Gatcomb-like defensively-minded energy guy. Just don't think the coaching staff see anything there.

Nice to see Filip Johansson back. I've come around on his game a bit. He's a bit like Olli Juolevi--plodding skater, beat around the outside, but he has some of the better o-zone instincts of the d-core bunch (faint praise given how low the bar is on this d-core)

Something's up with Wolanin. Just hasn't looked right this year. Like he's lost a step or something.

McWard plays pretty solid hockey, just a bit undersized. He has a good shot and play doesn't die on his stick, which is nice. Rough look on the goal to make it 5-4 when, on a delayed penalty, he had two chances to break-up a cross-ice pass to earn a stoppage in play, but fumbled, allowing Matvei Petrov to score.

Wrote about the game for CA, if anyone missed it. It was a really solid performance up until it wasn't!

Deezone

Nov 10, 2020
Your analysis often appears short sighted and bi-polar. One day your over the moon about a player’s performance, the next your trading them for whatever you can get.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Your analysis often appears short sighted and bi-polar. One day your over the moon about a player’s performance, the next your trading them for whatever you can get.
Who are you referring to?

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019

I graduated from the Jim Benning school of player-analysis. I live day-to-day.

I avoid broad sweeping assessments unless I'm confident that a player I'm watching is at the "are what they are" stage. Otherwise, it's a lot of "here's the good, here's the bad about their most recent performance" with a general opinion about their play to date and their future potential. 7 points in 30 games, barely shooting, barely winning battles, yeah, I'm going to comment that it's not looking great. Score 5 points in a single game and look like the best player of the game after 7 points in 30 games spent barely shooting, barely winning battles, then yeah, I'm going to comment that it's an encouraging development!

If you're specifically talking about Podkolzin; I don't think I've been that outwardly over the moon about his play, at least in here or in game recaps

And yes, trade everyone at all times. There should be a new player on the roster every 24 hours, otherwise the team isn't trying to win.
/s

Reactions: Grantham

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I'd have to go back and check, but I could've sworn in the first game he missed after returning from his first injury stint, Brandon Astle (PBP guy) pointed out that Klimovich had taken a slapshot off the hand in the first period of the previous game.

Bains was playing a little too cheeky at times and skated himself into trouble a concerning amount. When his line plays things straight, lots of skating and stretch-passes to create space, they score (see Bains tap-in off the Nielsen cross-ice feed). When they try to spin, or cut through the middle of the ice all alone, they almost always lose possession. They're quick skaters (Bains included) but they don't have that elite-separation ability to attempt this stuff.

Podkolzin, I think it's near time to sell for whatever you can. Dude registered 8 shots on net, but he just looks so timid with and without the puck. I worry that the hit from Middleton really f***ed him up. Guy has the wheels to carry the puck toward the net on his own on every possession, but doesn't. Lack of any PK time isn't great either and doesn't bode well for his future as an NHL bottom six fixture.
I don't what happened to Klimovich in his first two injury stints but I saw the final shift in his most recent game (Dec 1) and I'm fairly certain that he got hit in the head.

Bains is not an effective puck rusher. His offensive game is mostly nice pass, nice pass, nice pass...

Podkolzin doesn't look much different to me than he did before the Middleton encounter. Somehow it's as though the whole is less than the sum of the parts of his game. Still think he has potential to be a respectable NHL player, something more than a bottom-of-the-roster guy, but the clock is ticking. He's only five months younger than Bains.

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

On one hand, I commend the club for getting a three-goal lead despite missing a third of their top six and Marc Gatcomb, who is a pretty legit PK/energy guy. But the bench-shortening in the third really killed them in the third period. Team leaned heavily on Wouters-Stevens-Bains and it bit them in the ass in a bad way.

Can't disagree with Orcatown's assessment.

I will add, I think Cicek missed a lot of the game after taking an unintentional baseball swing to the face from Ty Glover, who had an excellent game in spite of the friendly fire incident.

Aidan McDonough... yeah, not sure there's anything there. Rarely uses his size to shield the puck, if he ever actually has it. Way too soft along the boards. The 2-2 goal was the result of him losing a tie-up in the neutral zone. The rest of his line (and jett woo) were playing ridiculously high in the neutral zone with zero support for him, but it was still another lost battle in a season of lost battles for him.

Nielsen is fun to watch, clutch as hell, but the lack of PK reps or ice time in close-out garbage time when ahead says it all. The coaching staff don't believe in his defensive chops. He can win board battles and push the puck out of the d-zone, but obviously there's something about his man-to-man coverage that they don't like.

Zlodeev has good defensive instincts, and has a great first skate, but falls off after his initial burst. Good on him for scoring his first goal. I could see him becoming a Marc Gatcomb-like defensively-minded energy guy. Just don't think the coaching staff see anything there.

Nice to see Filip Johansson back. I've come around on his game a bit. He's a bit like Olli Juolevi--plodding skater, beat around the outside, but he has some of the better o-zone instincts of the d-core bunch (faint praise given how low the bar is on this d-core)

Something's up with Wolanin. Just hasn't looked right this year. Like he's lost a step or something.

McWard plays pretty solid hockey, just a bit undersized. He has a good shot and play doesn't die on his stick, which is nice. Rough look on the goal to make it 5-4 when, on a delayed penalty, he had two chances to break-up a cross-ice pass to earn a stoppage in play, but fumbled, allowing Matvei Petrov to score.

Wrote about the game for CA, if anyone missed it. It was a really solid performance up until it wasn't!

Spot on Report - Can't disagree with anything

Reactions: THRILLHOIAF

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another ugly road loss for the Abbotsford Canucks.....Five-on-five scoring has virtually dried up for this group. Can't win if you don't score.........and the lack of skill up-front particularly down the middle is really starting to show.

Canucks and Coachella Valley back it tomorrow night. Tolopilo got the start between the pipes tonight, so I guess it's back to Silovs tomorrow to try and stop the bleeding.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I don't what happened to Klimovich in his first two injury stints but I saw the final shift in his most recent game (Dec 1) and I'm fairly certain that he got hit in the head.

Bains is not an effective puck rusher. His offensive game is mostly nice pass, nice pass, nice pass...

Podkolzin doesn't look much different to me than he did before the Middleton encounter. Somehow it's as though the whole is less than the sum of the parts of his game. Still think he has potential to be a respectable NHL player, something more than a bottom-of-the-roster guy, but the clock is ticking. He's only five months younger than Bains.

Is there anything to suggest he isnt a bust at this point?

His game has been trending down for as long as I can recall

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
big comeback win for abbotsford today and podkolzin scored 2 goals along with the shootout winner
Wup, big 180 for all the Podkolzin prognosticators. Is 1 game too little an amount to pencil him back into the top 6? lol.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
hes there to do one thing and one thing only, play a ton. he played a ton, shoots a lot more than he did before, had games with 8 and 10 shots and has respectable numbers overall. He wont ever be known for his offense, but more for doing anything the coach asks of him. so perfect middle six swiss army knife kinda guy. an upgrade on Dakota Joshua in the third line? or maybe complimentary role like mikheyev with less speed and more snarl?

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
hes there to do one thing and one thing only, play a ton. he played a ton, shoots a lot more than he did before, had games with 8 and 10 shots and has respectable numbers overall. He wont ever be known for his offense, but more for doing anything the coach asks of him. so perfect middle six swiss army knife kinda guy. an upgrade on Dakota Joshua in the third line? or maybe complimentary role like mikheyev with less speed and more snarl?
I think that is a fair expectation for next year

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Still hoping pods can be a strong 2 - 3rd line player in the NHL. do we have any idea what sort of contract he get this summer. something like a 2 way $ 1.5/1 M x 3 years? Guarantees him decent pay for the next 3 years. However, if I read it correctly, he will no longer be waiver exempt on his next contract, and there is 0 chance that he will clear waivers anyways.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Is there anything to suggest he isnt a bust at this point?

His game has been trending down for as long as I can recall
Podkolzin is averaging almost four shots on goal per game. Dries at just over three per game is second on the team. He's a quality player in the AHL, but he still doesn't seem to have really put it all together. If he had, he'd already be in the NHL on a full-time basis because his physical talent is undeniable.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
because his hockey sense is not elite, physical players without top end hockey sense take a while to grasp when to do what. hoping for a Byfield type progression. To me, its folly to let him go without seeing what he does under Tocchet and this coaching staff for an extended period of time.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Podkolzin is averaging almost four shots on goal per game. Dries at just over three per game is second on the team. He's a quality player in the AHL, but he still doesn't seem to have really put it all together. If he had, he'd already be in the NHL on a full-time basis because his physical talent is undeniable.
i think we have to recognize the goal for Pod this season is to build up his confidence to the point that he doesn't beat himself over mentally when we recall him to the NHL and he ends up in a rough patch.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Podz has Tocchet in his corner.....which means a lot. Just look at what Tocchet's support has done for Juulsen's confidence. He doesn't look like the same d-man.

He's rapidly emerging as the first logical callup from Abbotsford if the big club runs into some injury issues. In fact I'd rather see him the lineup right now rather than Karlsson.

Reactions: arttk

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Podz has Tocchet in his corner.....which means a lot. Just look at what Tocchet's support has done for Juulsen's confidence. He doesn't look like the same d-man.

He's rapidly emerging as the first logical callup from Abbotsford if the big club runs into some injury issues. In fact I'd rather see him the lineup right now rather than Karlsson.
I think they won’t call him up until they think he has played enough. I think he has like a couple of games before he needs to hit waivers.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I think they won’t call him up until they think he has played enough. I think he has like a couple of games before he needs to hit waivers.

He's 42 games away from waiver eligibility so he could play the rest of this season without changing that.

He's waiver eligible starting 24/25 so, they really need to figure out what they have in him before end of season here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00