Player Discussion Aatu Raty

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Starting to feel he’s more like a far shot to stick in the league than someone who should be a 3C.

Quinntessential

Mar 25, 2013
Probably pretty comparable to Gaunce at age 20, worse than Gaunce at age 23 or 24.

In the 18-19 season Gaunce had become legitimately fast at the AHL level which shows the huge difference in calibre of play between the NHL and AHL.

Also I’ve always said that Gaunce’s skating criticisms were overblown. It wasn’t good, but it was better than Markus Granlund’s skating but nobody complained about that because small bad skaters don’t look as clumsy as big bad skaters.
Gaunce was able to develop decent top end speed but his agility was always crap. It was a shame that his legs never caught up with his brain.

If he is the comparable then I nominate “Finnish fridge” as Raty’s new nickname

Reactions: mossey3535

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
From what I’ve seen he plays a very conservative game. Always on the right side of the puck. That’s a good thing. But I also think it may come from a lack of confidence. He’ll need to find that confidence and hopefully some added intensity with it before he can be considered for a regular roster spot in Vancouver.
He needs another year in the AHL. Hopefully he can add some offence. Right now he’s looking like the second coming of Jason Dickinson.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
In the limited time he's been up, a few things have jumped out.

First is the overly wide stance and riding on his inside edges. It really hampers his agility and we have to hope that he can train that out of his skating, but if it's deeply engrained that could be a tough fix.

Second, this guy has the instincts to play center. Knows where to be, uses his frame to box people out and push the puck in the right direction. Also see upside that he will become proficient on the dot.

Third, can see those same instincts making him effective on the PK.

If he can improve his acceleration and edgework, there is a solid 3rd line center that can absorb tough minutes and facilitate offense, given time. He appears to have the right attitude, work ethic, defensive acumen and frame and heavy shot to make that a reality.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Yeah he really showed great instincts when he jumped off the bench and played the puck with nobody around

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah he really showed great instincts when he jumped off the bench and played the puck with nobody around
Puh-lease. He was going for a delayed offside to facilitate a line change and didn't notice that JTM hadn't reached the bench.

If you want to see his defensive instincts, watch his play during a board battle. He anticipates where the puck will spring free and works hard to push it out of the zone while boxing out the opposition. Did that multiple times since his call up.

The issue currently is that his acceleration needs work. It leaves him constantly behind the play.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Puh-lease. He was going for a delayed offside to facilitate a line change and didn't notice that JTM hadn't reached the bench.

If you want to see his defensive instincts, watch his play during a board battle. He anticipates where the puck will spring free and works hard to push it out of the zone while boxing out the opposition. Did that multiple times since his call up.

The issue currently is that his acceleration needs work. It leaves him constantly behind the play.

There was nobody even close to the bench yet, it was idiotic. His skating is dreadful, 3 steps behind the play, not sure why he's even up with the big club

• Haha
Reactions: PuckMunchkin

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
He's earned a few more games and deserves a look beside Miller to see if he can show anything at all. Impressed with his overall game and skating didn't look poor.

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Raty's skating is a lot better this year. You could see it at the Young-stars tournament. And tonight he had no trouble keeping up, and even generated some decent speed through the neutral zone.

Doesn't s surprise me. A lot of highly touted picks look slow in their first exposure to hockey in N.A. Raty is still only 20. Predicting a breakthrough year for him in Abbotsford, and even a few callups t o the parent Canucks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Teams aren’t stupid. If he was a player they weren’t going to give him up. AHL fodder
Don't know if it means much, but a lot of Islander fans were really upset that Raty was included at all in the Horvat deal.

And their disappointment was hardly eased when Horvat scored six goals in 30 games after the trade. I'm really not very bullish on Bo as an islander.

Lou Lamoriello almost never makes a mistake trading a young player.....but Raty is one he might live to regret.

Reactions: MarkMM and Grantham

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Raty's skating is a lot better this year. You could see it at the Young-stars tournament. And tonight he had no trouble keeping up, and even generated some decent speed through the neutral zone.

Doesn't s surprise me. A lot of highly touted picks look slow in their first exposure to hockey in N.A. Raty is still only 20. Predicting a breakthrough year for him in Abbotsford, and even a few callups t o the parent Canucks.
I agree with all of this. Still hard to believe he's only 20. And he's already played over 150 games in pro leagues between Liiga, AHL and NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad