Aaron Ekblad is one of the best defensemen in the league

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He got an unreasonable amount of hate last year. Maybe he's not going to become the best d-man in the league, but he has all the tools to be among the best.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This.

He's a good player cast in a spot he's not going to, or not ready to handle with no support. He's fairing well all things considered, but a top guy in the league ? Nope.

Florids can bring in some defensive help and let him take more chances he might become better, but his skating might limit that.
No statistics support this heavily dated view, though. It’s also quite difficult for the majority of us to watch Florida play with any regularity. Panthers fans themselves say that he has been excellent this year, showing marked improvement, and the standard (i.e. not cherry-picked) statistics I have presented in this thread support it.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I know.. bump.. Sorry..

Really started to take a liking to this guy and was looking for a thread like this to see what other posters was saying about him.

Find this to be an interesting discussion. The stats and charts posted supports OPs thesis that Ekblad is an Elite player. Are there any 5v5 stats where Ekblad really shows major deficiencies?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'm curious if Panther fans feel he was rushed into the league and if so do they think it stalled his development? Always liked him but I don't follow Florida very closely.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I'm curious if Panther fans feel he was rushed into the league and if so do they think it stalled his development? Always liked him but I don't follow Florida very closely.
No. He was very much a man ready for the NHL at 18 and would not have benefited from more time in junior. The only thing that may have stalled his development is the concussions.

But I’m pretty sure Panthers fans aren’t disappointed, anyways. He’s that essential 1D, in the mould of two-way defensemen that only become better with age.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I know.. bump.. Sorry..

Really started to take a liking to this guy and was looking for a thread like this to see what other posters was saying about him.

Find this to be an interesting discussion. The stats and charts posted supports OPs thesis that Ekblad is an Elite player. Are there any 5v5 stats where Ekblad really shows major deficiencies?

His puck moving is just okay, but was trending up last year and is partially team/partner dependant. Could be meaner and more physical.

A3Z_Dash.PNG

Reactions: Buck Naked

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If you were to narrow that down to, let's say, the last two seasons. How would it look then?

EKBLAD - SKATR - YEAR VS YEAR.PNG

2018-19:
47.8% of the time paired with Yandle
42.9% of the time paired with Matheson

2019-20:
39.1% of the time with Weegar
25.9% of the time with Yandle
17.8% of the time with Matheson

Below is the past 2 years, 2018-19 was a write off with Yandle on the top pair, his minutes have gone down every year and has become a major liability in his own end. Matheson was just as bad but more physical at least, playing way above his head though.

2019-20 allowed Weegar to be tried on his off-side with Ekblad and they clicked pretty much right away.
If Weegar stayed healthy, they were both pacing career highs/years in points, Ekblad did set a new career high in assists and points.

EKBLAD - SKATR - 2 YEARS.PNG

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Came in expecting some goofy stats, saw only even strength and PP points, corsi and zone starts
I approve of this thread OP.

It's funny, you don't realize it, but this post really shows just how far analytics have become commonplace in hockey. Just a few years ago, Corsi would've certainly been a part of the "goofy stats" that you're trashing.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Slow progression for him the past 5 seasons. Like he was near 0.5 ppg pace as an 18 year old which is impressive that it kinda stayed at that rate, but last season it shot up. He’s only 24 and I think he’s league wide standard a top pairing dman.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I know.. bump.. Sorry..

Skating ability.

Most, if not all of the elite defensemen in the league are elite skaters. Ekblad is far from that (an elite skater). I guess one exception would be Alex Pietrangleo but he's still more mobile and and a better skater than the younger Ekblad.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
His stats aren’t bad at all. He basically scores anywhere between 35 and 50 points in any given season as a defenseman.

Defensemen also take much longer to develop than forwards. He has played 6 seasons already but he is only 24. He could be playing his best years as a defenseman 5-10 years from now, and have tremendous amounts of experience on the blue line in the NHL even in 2-3 years from now.

A lot of the best defensemen in the history of the NHL only really emerged past the age of 25.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
No. He was very much a man ready for the NHL at 18 and would not have benefited from more time in junior. The only thing that may have stalled his development is the concussions.

But I’m pretty sure Panthers fans aren’t disappointed, anyways. He’s that essential 1D, in the mould of two-way defensemen that only become better with age.

Yeah I don't think it stalled his development. I think most Panthers fans realized early on that he wasn't as good as his rookie season. But what he is is still pretty good. The only thing really holding him back from being elite is his skating. He has improved it a little the last couple years, if he can make more strides in that department it would be huge.

HyPnOtiK

Aug 21, 2007
Philadelphia, Pa
No statistics support this heavily dated view, though. It’s also quite difficult for the majority of us to watch Florida play with any regularity. Panthers fans themselves say that he has been excellent this year, showing marked improvement, and the standard (i.e. not cherry-picked) statistics I have presented in this thread support it.
He's not a true #1D let alone one of the top defensemen in the league.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Quietly succeeding.. I honestly had no idea and kinda assumed he was turning into a flop. Good to read how well he has been doing forsure.

I totally get why Lu wanted to go back to Florida... can quietly go about their business and not ever get recognized on the street and not get hounded by media

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad