Post-Game Talk: AA!!!!!!!!! Wings take the shootout 2-1 against Cbus. Big Two points!

Status
Not open for further replies.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Happy has gotta be one of the fastest guys in the league. The dude has some serious jets, and creates a ton of chances with it. Hopefully he's just not another Helm and can actually convert from time to time.

Also, nice to see Blash do something different in the shootout, especially since Babs always seemed to go through the motions whenever the team got that far. Mix it up, and the team ends up winning a SO for once; who would've thunk it?
Great move by Blashill to go with hot hands in SO with Sheahan and AA.
I do not like his lines though.
I'd love to see

Abby-Z-Larkin
Tats-Dats-AA
Nyquist-Sheahan-Richards
Helm-Glenny-Jurco

Wings are lacking playmakers right now, and as much as I like Z and Dats together, we need their playmaking skills on seperate lines.

The problem with the 2nd line all 3 like to carry the puck.
Switch Tatar and Nyquist.

Only saw the 2nd and 3rd periods, but was pretty unimpressed. With AA being the exception, Columbus seemed faster and won a lot of board battles. The Wings had a lot of zone time, but also gave up a TON of odd man rushes off of blocked shots, flubs at the blue line, etc. etc.

Credit Mrazek for making some saves, and luck in terms of the BJs missing the net. Let's hope they use these next three days to re-energize their skating legs. Tough DAL-CHI-CHI stretch coming up after the Stadium Series game.

Thoughts:

-Larkin still looks sick. Not really noticeable at all.

-Pulkinnen needs to STFD. Nice pass to AA, but his inability to skate and failure to complete lead to multiple odd man chances against. Jurco needs to be in the lineup.

-Heard the goal against was a stinker, but Mrazek was pretty good the rest of the way.

-Q was excellent.

I think people forget that the jackets despite their record are one of the hottest teams in the league.

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
On my own scoring attempts, Kronwall had one and created 5. Best offensive defenceman there immediately. Quincey was best defensively and at some point looked like Lidström there. :amazed:

1st unit was the same setup. Abdelkader net-front, Datsyuk on the left, Nyquist as middle-man, Zetterberg on right and Kronwall on point. Have to say it was totally different and instalty better with Kronwall there. He just knows how to run it.

2nd unit didn't have much time, because they blew their zone entries and guys were at wrong positions. But also it looked like it would be 1-3-1. Green on point, Richards as right-side playmaker. Now they look good on paper. Just get games to get it running like a machine.
Thank you, Henkka, appreciate it! Hope they stay with those units and set ups then :)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
People say I am too harsh on Howard and criticize him mercilessly.
But I have no problem critisizing Mrazek too. The goal he allowed was super soft and if not for heroic save by Quincey and a great heroics by Sheahan and AA we lose this game. No star for Mrazek.

Did you see the whole game? He totally made up for that goal and had some great saves throughout the game. One of the most important in OT when the refs blew his play off.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Did you see the whole game? He totally made up for that goal and had some great saves throughout the game. One of the most important in OT when the refs blew his play off.

He allowed one soft goal and then shut the door rest of the game including ot and so. Good.
My point is that there are the saves and then there are the timely saves. That was a very bad goal and it could have cost us the game. He won, we won.
The problem is not that goal, it is typical as you say he made a lot of good saves. It does not matter if a goalie lets in some bad untimely goals. This is more on Howard.
Mrazek found a way to win, Howard can't. That's a big problem.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
He allowed one soft goal and then shut the door rest of the game including ot and so. Good.
My point is that there are the saves and then there are the timely saves. That was a very bad goal and it could have cost us the game. He won, we won.
The problem is not that goal, it is typical as you say he made a lot of good saves. It does not matter if a goalie lets in some bad untimely goals. This is more on Howard.
Mrazek found a way to win, Howard can't. That's a big problem.

People really overrate "clutch" saves.

Mrazek and the defense were fortunate the Jackets could not capitalize on their numerous odd-man rushes. They do it once (and even get a shot away) and it is game over.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really thought Blash showed some creativity in the overtime and in the shootout... long overdue

Thought it was smart to use Riley after he cashed in on a breakaway in the same game. Also liked the usage of AA, he was buzzing and almost connected earlier as well.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
People really overrate "clutch" saves.

Mrazek and the defense were fortunate the Jackets could not capitalize on their numerous odd-man rushes. They do it once (and even get a shot away) and it is game over.

You need game breakers. It is easiest for the goalie to be a game breaker. Sometimes they allow a bad goal and the team bails them out, sometimes the team plays bad and the goalie bails them out.

Here is how I see it.
We have Datsyuk,Z, Larkin, AA and Mrazek who can carry our team. They are our game breakers.
Then we have Howard, Nyquist and Tatar who are dead weight. Those 3 are our big problem now.
Some posters think it is smith and Ericsson, but those 2 have no big roles on the team, so we can survive anyhow.

And people say Oulette is ok. I do not think so. The kid falls 3-4 times a shift. I just do not see anything good about him. Maybe his name or the country of the origin is cool, but l do not see him as any good.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
You need game breakers. It is easiest for the goalie to be a game breaker. Sometimes they allow a bad goal and the team bails them out, sometimes the team plays bad and the goalie bails them out.
Okay, but typically a game breaker is one who performs through the course of the game, not just at moments where it is convenient for someone to call them clutch or great. Mrazek wasn't necessarily "clutch" last night just because he let in a stinker in the first and allowed no goals afterwards. He has overall this season been a huge positive to a team with defensive and offensive issues, and has been by far the best goaltender throughout the season.

Howard's problem this season has been all-around performance. Not being unclutch. Just playing poorly after his great start.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Then we have Howard, Nyquist and Tatar who are dead weight. Those 3 are our big problem now.

C'mon. Saying that Nyquist and Tatar are dead weight is just stupid.

Nyquist was former shootout hero and scored heroic OT goals like that "28secs" against Ottawa etc. They were shiny new toys just few years ago like Athanasiou is right now.

We need them all. Together. Then we win big things and have long playoff runs.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Here is how I see it.
We have Datsyuk,Z, Larkin, AA and Mrazek who can carry our team. They are our game breakers.
Some posters think it is smith and Ericsson, but those 2 have no big roles on the team, so we can survive anyhow.

And people say Oulette is ok. I do not think so. The kid falls 3-4 times a shift. I just do not see anything good about him. Maybe his name or the country of the origin is cool, but l do not see him as any good.

So AA can carry the team now and Tats/Nyquist are dead weight, eh?

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Great impact offensively, okay defensively.

On my own scoring attempts, Kronwall had one and created 5. Best offensive defenceman there immediately. Quincey was best defensively and at some point looked like Lidström there. :amazed:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Has him with Richards and DBoss in practice today.

Other lines are:

Z-D-Abby
Goose-Sheahan-Tats
Pulks-Luke-Jurco
(Helm is sick)

DD-KFQ
Kronwall-Marchy
Big E-Green
(Smith, XO)
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar eh? Not a fan. Put Nyquist with AA and Larkin and reunite Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco. Richards can sit.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
C'mon. Saying that Nyquist and Tatar are dead weight is just stupid.

Nyquist was former shootout hero and scored heroic OT goals like that "28secs" against Ottawa etc. They were shiny new toys just few years ago like Athanasiou is right now.

We need them all. Together. Then we win big things and have long playoff runs.
Compared to their roles and expectations yes. If they were not struggling at the same time, then we and the team would not notice it. I think if the coaches fix our pp, those 2 would be fine.
And the playoffs have started for our team. From now on, we will have to fight for every single point.
Bruins and bolts are doing fine. Cats are far ahead of us, while pens, NJDs, canes and flyers are breathing behind our neck.
Oulette is the shiny new toy, but I called him useless.
So AA can carry the team now and Tats/Nyquist are dead weight, eh?
AA makes things happen. Larkin was doing great until he had to play with Tatar and Nyquist. D and Z are not in their prime, but they have some tricks up their sleeves. Mrazek no need to say anything.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Compared to their roles and expectations yes. If they were not struggling at the same time, then we and the team would not notice it. I think if the coaches fix our pp, those 2 would be fine.
And the playoffs have started for our team. From now on, we will have to fight for every single point.
Bruins and bolts are doing fine. Cats are far ahead of us, while pens, NJDs, canes and flyers are breathing behind our neck.
Oulette is the shiny new toy, but I called him useless.

AA makes things happen. Larkin was doing great until he had to play with Tatar and Nyquist. D and Z are not in their prime, but they have some tricks up their sleeves. Mrazek no need to say anything.

Nyquist and Tatar have looked better lately, albeit not on the score sheet, but if they keep playing as they have recently they'll start putting up points. Datsyuk arguably looked the best last night and he didn't get any points. Larkin was sick, the flu isn't a 1 day thing, I can't blame Larkin's woes on them - his first stint off 8-40 he was with Richards and Sheahan and he was fine. I love everything about AA getting real minutes but to say he can carry the team right now is absolutely ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad