Pre-Game Talk: A Week at the Sack (PHI, BUF, NSH)

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
Be curious to see what they do with the lines tonight. I think I'd like to see:

Lehky - Mikko - Newhook
Nuke - ERod - Foudy
LOC - JTC - Cogs
Hunt - Meyers - Hudon
That is so much better down the middle with Mikko at center, ERod back, and Meyers playing like he belongs in the NHL. Still not great obviously but so much better than a week or so ago

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Could be any number of things. Injury, sickness, someone had to take a leave of absence for personal/family reasons, a trade is in the works, could be cap related with who they are sending down, etc., etc.

landpoke

May 21, 2020
Someone in the comments to a Baugh tweet mentioned there's a nhl roster freeze for the holidays. Maybe a precautionary move for that period?

What happens during the NHL Roster Freeze?​

From December 19th at 12:01am ET until December 27th at 11:59pm ET, NHL Teams are not allowed to make any trades or transactions. That means no call-ups, no sending players down to the AHL, and no placing players on waivers. In other words, the rosters you see on December 19th are the rosters you’ll see for the rest of the year (barring any emergency recalls).

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Someone in the comments to a Baugh tweet mentioned there's a nhl roster freeze for the holidays. Maybe a precautionary move for that period?

From December 19th at 12:01am ET until December 27th at 11:59pm ET, NHL Teams are not allowed to make any trades or transactions. That means no call-ups, no sending players down to the AHL, and no placing players on waivers. In other words, the rosters you see on December 19th are the rosters you’ll see for the rest of the year (barring any emergency recalls).

then do it on the 18/19th, not today... save that extra $2k cap space

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

If one of the goalies got hurt, then the emergency recall provision would apply. Non factor really.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
17E2406A-A6C9-4499-9B6A-68E41764F811.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If there is one fundamental skill Foudy needs to work on it's how to settle down pucks. Too often in situations where he's getting a hard pass or even when he's along the boards/behind the net he's not able to secure it, making him a bystander on too many offensive zone possessions. I get that there's a lot more he needs to work on than just that but IMO that's probably the weakest part of his game at present.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
If there is one fundamental skill Foudy needs to work on it's how to settle down pucks. Too often in situations where he's getting a hard pass or even when he's along the boards/behind the net he's not able to secure it, making him a bystander on too many offensive zone possessions. I get that there's a lot more he needs to work on than just that but IMO that's probably the weakest part of his game at present.
The entire team was passing like dodo tonight. I mean, lazy af, I don't give a caca passing in the dzone leading to unforced errors and extended time in the wrong end.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The entire team was passing like dodo tonight. I mean, lazy af, I don't give a caca passing in the dzone leading to unforced errors and extended time in the wrong end.
It wasn’t just this game though, it’s been all of his games he’s struggled to receive pucks or settle them down along the boards.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don’t think people are giving enough credit to Buffalo’s forecheck… they are by far the most aggressive team in that area in the league. It cut down on time and space which forced the Avs into mistakes. Buffalo gets a little scrambly and they don’t know how to shut down a game… which let the Avs dominate in fancy stats, but the disruption was more because of Buffalo than just being dummies.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t think people are giving enough credit to Buffalo’s forecheck… they are by far the most aggressive team in that area in the league. It cut down on time and space which forced the Avs into mistakes. Buffalo gets a little scrambly and they don’t know how to shut down a game… which let the Avs dominate in fancy stats, but the disruption was more because of Buffalo than just being dummies.
At the same time, though, if the Avs are fully healthy that's an easily, easily exploitable team with how hard they pressure.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At the same time, though, if the Avs are fully healthy that's an easily, easily exploitable team with how hard they pressure.
I mean... Buffalo isn't very good and they showed that even last night. Buffalo probably will be good in time when they learn how to play a variety of styles within the game. Just saying that a lot of the turnover and dumb mistakes on exits we due to the Buffalo style of play.

I'd add that this was mostly on the Avs defense (though some on the wings), where the Avs are pretty healthy. Most of the puck movers on defense are healthy (basically Byram is the lone one out). The wings are healthy outside Landy. MacK would help given how good he is at controlled transition... but the Avs still struggled with Makar, Towes, Girard, Nuke, Newhook, Lehky and Rants in the lineup. Tip of the cap to Buffalo.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I want to say Dryden Hunt mostly disappeared after a horrid defensive zone turnover, but that may have just been Bednar shortening the bench due to the score.

I say call up Ranta and put Hunt 1 on waivers. If you're just gonna play him as a 4th line scrub in the AHL, may as well play him as a 4th line scrub in the NHL. He'd at least bring some size and speed to the equation, and won't sail shots at the net five yards wide every time. He's put in a decent-enough effort but enough is enough, he's past his due date.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
the Avs still struggled with Makar, Towes, Girard, Nuke, Newhook, Lehky and Rants in the lineup. Tip of the cap to Buffalo.
and ERod

That's the thing...the Avs are not what they were 4-5 games ago when they were missing Nuke, Lehky and ERod. That's 3 pieces of our top 6 that are back...but still couldn't beat Buffalo.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
and ERod

That's the thing...the Avs are not what they were 4-5 games ago when they were missing Nuke, Lehky and ERod. That's 3 pieces of our top 6 that are back...but still couldn't beat Buffalo.
But at least we looked much better. Look at the shots on nets, shot attempts and shots blocked. The Avs pretty well dominated that game. The two main problems in that game was a few defensive breakdowns and the quality of shots. Especially the latter. Most shots were way too easy to stop being either in the goalie's logo, too easy to see or from too far out. Most of the quality chances they had, and they had quite a few, were blocked shots or missed the net.

The Avs should have won that game. It happens.

What I am more concerned about is how tired Makar and Toews look the last 8-10 games. They really need at least one of Byram/Manson back to take some of these major minutes away from those two especially some of the PK minutes. PK is extremely tasking on your players. Having played both PK and PP as a dman in my days I can assure you that 30 secs of PK can often be more tasking on your body than playing the entire 2 mins on the PP. This might not be popular but I think Englund should be used more frequently on the PK. He has been playing really well for the 12 mins/GP he gets. I really don't understand the hate on this guy on this board.

Reactions: AvsFan29

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
But at least we looked much better. Look at the shots on nets, shot attempts and shots blocked. The Avs pretty well dominated that game. The two main problems in that game was a few defensive breakdowns and the quality of shots. Especially the latter. Most shots were way too easy to stop being either in the goalie's logo, too easy to see or from too far out. Most of the quality chances they had, and they had quite a few, were blocked shots or missed the net.

The Avs should have won that game. It happens.

What I am more concerned about is how tired Makar and Toews look the last 8-10 games. They really need at least one of Byram/Manson back to take some of these major minutes away from those two especially some of the PK minutes. PK is extremely tasking on your players. Having played both PK and PP as a dman in my days I can assure you that 30 secs of PK can often be more tasking on your body than playing the entire 2 mins on the PP. This might not be popular but I think Englund should be used more frequently on the PK. He has been playing really well for the 12 mins/GP he gets. I really don't understand the hate on this guy on this board.
The last couple of games since the Blues game Makar hasn't killed penalties. It's been Toews/EJ/Girard/Englund. I think the coaching staff recognizes the importance of his minutes 5v5 and on the PP and is trying to limit him killing penalties.

I'd like the Avs to take another step and remove Devon Toews from PP2 so long as Brad Hunt is in the lineup. Put him at the mid-point and let him fire away. That minute to minute-thirty could serve Toews well on the bench to recharge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad