Post-Game Talk: A undeserting win

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Rebound control shouldn't suffer that much, it's majority based on positioning. Maybe he will have a little more trouble tracking the puck, but it's not like a goalie should have to rebuild their puck tracking abilities anytime they take 4-5 games off. The MO on Campbell is that he over sells the first shot, which is fine, if you can get a hold of the puck. As soon as the puck pinballs he's swimming because his positioning is all about the first save and first angle, he gives himself no lateral second chance and ends up star fishing.

Our D is way too soft in front of the crease and at tying up sticks or people, so that type of goaltending just doesn't work here. Skinner is significantly better at positioning himself for 2nd and 3rd chances and I find I don't have to close my eyes as soon as I see the puck starting to bounce.

We aren't separating because the other team either throws garbage at the net and deflects it in, or the garbage falls beside them and they get easy tap ins. If we had competent rebound control and competent ability to clean up shit in front of the net, we would separate pretty easily. Our issue is we have to work 3x harder to score than the other team has to work to score on us, that's what D comes down too, work ethic. We have too much puck watching and floating in the D zone and it's not just the D.
Excellent breakdown. :thumbu:
I especially like the bolded. The good news is that the defensive issues are ultimately correctable with this current group of players.
Its on their plate.

My hope is that (maybe) once the playoffs are underway...that will be the motivating factor for them to put in the extra effort.

Reactions: North Cole

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rebound control shouldn't suffer that much, it's majority based on positioning. Maybe he will have a little more trouble tracking the puck, but it's not like a goalie should have to rebuild their puck tracking abilities anytime they take 4-5 games off. The MO on Campbell is that he over sells the first shot, which is fine, if you can get a hold of the puck. As soon as the puck pinballs he's swimming because his positioning is all about the first save and first angle, he gives himself no lateral second chance and ends up star fishing.

Our D is way too soft in front of the crease and at tying up sticks or people, so that type of goaltending just doesn't work here. Skinner is significantly better at positioning himself for 2nd and 3rd chances and I find I don't have to close my eyes as soon as I see the puck starting to bounce.

We aren't separating because the other team either throws garbage at the net and deflects it in, or the garbage falls beside them and they get easy tap ins. If we had competent rebound control and competent ability to clean up shit in front of the net, we would separate pretty easily. Our issue is we have to work 3x harder to score than the other team has to work to score on us, that's what D comes down too, work ethic. We have too much puck watching and floating in the D zone and it's not just the D.
Don't agree with this. Skinner has terrible rebound control for the most part compared to Campbell when the soup is warm. Skinner has trouble making decisions to freeze pucks, delays, is hesitant to reach out and grab pucks, is prone to rebounds right to scoring chances.

Campbell ahs been like this too but when he's on his game his rebound control is much better. I tend to evaluate goalies on what their peak form looks like, not what their bad times look like. At least with Campbell there is potential of a goalie that can go on a run. Skinner is average at best in a lot of facets.

We all know Skinner has been better this season. But we need some Campbell soup if we're going anywhere.

Reactions: AM

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
This team can’t afford to take defensive nights off. They should have been able to absolutely shut it down at 4-2 and coast to an easy win. Instead we get a dumpster fire and need 5 goals to lol

They were poor defensively in the playoffs last year too.
A couple players were .lol Bouchard and nurse and that won't change lol the rest of the team will have to compensate

Reactions: Raab

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
This is a tough time of year for teams at I would say the Oilers point level and above. They pretty much know they are in, the season is a grind and they also know how hard life is about to be in the playoffs. For the Oilers they also pretty much know the seeding is getting locked in.

The teams out of it seem to find a bit of life being the spoiler near the end, with lots of guys fighting now just to even get a contract next year in the league(remember how good the Oilers started to look this time of year during the decade if darkness?).

it’s why the Wildcard teams who are scrapping right now can be so dangerous in round 1.

None of this excuses some of the poor play we see, I just think it explains it. The measuring sticks are likely the Knights and Kings games but even Those can be deceiving right now.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Don't agree with this. Skinner has terrible rebound control for the most part compared to Campbell when the soup is warm. Skinner has trouble making decisions to freeze pucks, delays, is hesitant to reach out and grab pucks, is prone to rebounds right to scoring chances.

Campbell ahs been like this too but when he's on his game his rebound control is much better. I tend to evaluate goalies on what their peak form looks like, not what their bad times look like. At least with Campbell there is potential of a goalie that can go on a run. Skinner is average at best in a lot of facets.

We all know Skinner has been better this season. But we need some Campbell soup if we're going anywhere.

This “when the soup is warm” idea isn’t a thing though. The soup hasn’t been “warm” for well over a calendar year.

Skinner might not be good enough to get the Oilers anywhere come playoff time. But Campbell is a guaranteed series loss.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Play who then? Skinner let in 3 goals 5 days ago on 17 shots against the same team?

It’s a coin flip who should play games.
Skinner had a bad game. Actually arguably 3 bad games. But Skinner hasn't let in 4 goals in 7 straight games though. You almost have to be trolling or related to Campbell in some way cuz you're arguments are ridiculous at this point. Campbell has easily been the worst goalie in the league. Skinner has bad games but also has good ones along the way. That's why he's been starting the majority lately. But yes Skinner needs days off and they can't start him every game.

Reactions: Kerberos and nabob

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
Since Jan 1st
Campbell has 7 out of 16 games above .900
Record 10-2-3
Skinner has 10 out of 21 games above .900
Record is 11-5-4

Skinner has been pulled twice in the span, Campbell once
What about the entire season? What about since February? It's almost like you cherry picked that exact time frame to get the most favorable comparison. What if we set bar at .910 instead of .900. Looks less favorable then

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Skinner’s issues (rebound control, indecision, lateral movement) are likely a function of him adjusting to the speed of the NHL in addition to a larger-than-expected deployment.

As he plays more games those issues will likely sort themselves out.

I hope.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Play who then? Skinner let in 3 goals 5 days ago on 17 shots against the same team?

It’s a coin flip who should play games.
You don't give up do you?;)
:laugh:I'll give you credit for that. lol Reminds me of that Iraqi information minister during the U.S Iraq conflict, or the guy offering premium deck chairs as the Titanic was going down.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just want to call out @Spawn, who I distinctly remember making a post about how following the Barrie trade, Bouchard is going to go point per game the rest of the season. He's tracking very well to do just that.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
A couple players were .lol Bouchard and nurse and that won't change lol the rest of the team will have to compensate
Nurse wont be extremely limited by a torn hip flexor this time.

Also, isnt creating a new account after getting banned against tos?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I have trouble believing we can outscore our way to a cup also, but that's a different conversation than VGK/WPG holding us to 2.8 GF per game. We scored a touchdown on WPG not that long ago and the follow up game we lost to them was a pretty easy win if Campbell didn't let it 2 floaters from the blueline.
I have trouble believing we can outscore our way to a cup also, but that's a different conversation than VGK/WPG holding us to 2.8 GF per game. We scored a touchdown on WPG not that long ago and the follow up game we lost to them was a pretty easy win if Campbell didn't let it 2 floaters from the blueline.

Do you actually think we can average 4 goals a game against two of the top defensive teams in the league?

We may win 1 or 2 games but I just can’t see winning the series. Even if Mcdavid, and Draisaitl are good for 2 goals, I think those teams can hold the rest of the roster off the score sheet.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
So the best powerplay percentage of all time is 31.9% and we are currently tied at that number. I'm hoping that we break the record this year.

Our last five games we were 6/16 and 37.5%. With eight games remaining, if we average about 1/3 we should land at 32.014%. Of course, with the way this bush league operates, they will probably round that down to 31.9 somehow.

It won't be easy, because we are likely to get one or no powerplays against VGK, LAK and COL. And SJS despite their awful record are really good on the PK. It will be fun to watch this unfold. Hopefully we can feast on ANA in those two games.
Hopefully we can feast on col lv and la.

Reactions: McWeber

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Skinner has terrible rebound control compared to when the other goalie is playing to a 0.920 level, but the other goalie isn't and hasn't been for 30 games. We'd probably be out of a playoff position by now if we kept insisting on giving Soup starts in order to "find" his game.

What Skinner has is much better positioning and size, made evident by deflections actually hitting him. He's also significantly better side to side because he doesn't sell himself out on the first angle. So when he fumbles rebounds he can actually make 2nd/3rd saves. Soup cant, he just falls down.

Peak form is well and good, but when it only appears 5/30 games im not sure we can rest our season on him suddenly hitting the switch and turning it on. Id rather get 890-915 on a nightly basis than rolling the dice on 850-935 and not knowing what the hell we will get, especially when the 935 is few and far between.

Reactions: K1984

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This whole post is such bs.
Seems to reflect a lot of what I read here.

A lot of good teams have struggled with Arizona. Colorado especially has been quite bad against Arizona. 1 loss, 1 OT win, 1 SO win and 1 win by 2 goals.
I was being sarcastic.

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023

Also, isnt creating a new account after getting banned

Also, isnt creating a new account after getting banned against tos?
Are you the forum police lol maybe get a life. My ban was lifted almost a year ago but I decided not to post because of babies like you. I just recently started posting again not that's it any of your business. Now stick to hockey topics and the subject of this thread

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This “when the soup is warm” idea isn’t a thing though. The soup hasn’t been “warm” for well over a calendar year.

Skinner might not be good enough to get the Oilers anywhere come playoff time. But Campbell is a guaranteed series loss.
Campbell was just what we needed him to be in January of this year putting up sparkling numbers all of January and this before Eckholm and Bjugstad came in to help bolster the defensive play of the club and before Desharnais was finding his way.

people act like Campbell has never had a game before.

Some of the same people were saying Smith would never recover.

Similarly people said Koskinen would never recover or improve.

Also Campbells record this season doesn't necessarily equate to guaranteed loss. 19-9-4.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner’s issues (rebound control, indecision, lateral movement) are likely a function of him adjusting to the speed of the NHL in addition to a larger-than-expected deployment.

As he plays more games those issues will likely sort themselves out.

I hope.
Maybe its anecdotal. But I have endless memories of goalies here that looked the best earlier in their careers and then receded. Particularly with the type of goalie coaches we have I think regression is a potential issue. With goalies specifically I'm not always seeing teh progression. Because we have had no elite goalie prospects starting out their careers here since say Grant Fuhr. Most young goalies we've had looked their best in rook seasons or in first 50-100games before opponents starting figuring them out.

I'd love to see some stat lines on how goalies do improve because it seems anything but a linear relationship.

I'm not convinced, really I'm not, that Skinner is any kind of stud. I think we just saw Brossoit being better than him.

But its real frustrating seeing a contending squad having Campbell and Skinner between pipes. Neither is good enough to carry the load.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Are you the forum police lol maybe get a life. My ban was lifted almost a year ago but I decided not to post because of babies like you. I just recently started posting again not that's it any of your business. Now stick to hockey topics and the subject of this thread
It was a pleasant year without you blaming everything on McDavid.

Reactions: Aerrol and TB12

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Do you actually think we can average 4 goals a game against two of the top defensive teams in the league?

We may win 1 or 2 games but I just can’t see winning the series. Even if Mcdavid, and Draisaitl are good for 2 goals, I think those teams can hold the rest of the roster off the score sheet.
Honestly, I do. They are 10th and 11th in GA/G, it's not like we are talking about Boston here. The Oilers are one of the best offenses we've seen in years and one of the best powerplays of all-time. I think if we skate and show up with all four lines engaged, we can put up a 6 spot on any team in the league.

We're 19 goals scored up on 2nd (Boston) and 31 goals scored up on 3rd (Buffalo). If you added 19 and 31 goals to VGK/WPG, they drop to 13th and 20th in GA. They are closer to bottom 10 in GA than we are to 10th in GF.

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
Everyone complaining about how we played yet we still won. Coyotes have been playing very well lately. There home record is really good. The last few weeks they have pretty much won or lost by a goal some how.

Again take the 2 points and move on. Oilers were looking passed last game towards Vegas I'm sure anyways

The oilers scored 5 goals and won by 1 goal. Let's nor act like Campbell stole the game here. Still let's in 4 and is below 90s save percentage. He os far from nhl caliber goaltending let al9ne a 5 mill dollar goalie
Sometimes it’s not about the number of saves, it’s the timing of the saves.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Honestly, I do. They are 10th and 11th in GA/G, it's not like we are talking about Boston here. The Oilers are one of the best offenses we've seen in years and one of the best powerplays of all-time. I think if we skate and show up with all four lines engaged, we can put up a 6 spot on any team in the league.

We're 19 goals scored up on 2nd (Boston) and 31 goals scored up on 3rd (Buffalo). If you added 19 and 31 goals to VGK/WPG, they drop to 13th and 20th in GA. They are closer to bottom 10 in GA than we are to 10th in GF.
Yes, but how many of our goals did we score on weak teams? Either way a Vegas-Edmonton Series would be damn entertaining.

Amazing goal, wow!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad