Post-Game Talk: A undeserting win

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Colorado learned this lesson the hard way, after many years of trying to outscore their opposition. They finally got a coach who stressed a change and to their leaders credit, they bought into it and were rewarded with a cup last year, proving they are capable of playing some tight defence, even with an average goalie. We'll see if our guys finally get it, and turn the page.

One game. And they won. How have they done in the other 15 latest games?
What’s the oilers record in the last 15 games?

Oilers are 10-4-1 in the last 15, 10-2-1 in the last 13

Reactions: capazzo

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You just can't help but contrast last night's games... The Avs went into Anaheim and easily beat the piss out of them.

We go into Arizona and despite having control of the game have to scramble because third period leads are kryptonite for this team.

The team keeps winning but playing this way their playoff run is going to be short.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What’s the oilers record in the last 15 games?

Oilers are 10-4-1 in the last 15, 10-2-1 in the last 13
Pretty good record for sure. Hard to believe that hasnt been good enough to gain ground on Vegas and LA.

Perhaps I am just way too old school but I just dont see this style of play producing wins in the playoffs.

Reactions: Biltmore

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Zzz...

Campbell and Skinner need to find another gear here. Even Toronto media is saying our defense has been fine if not good.

Welll...when has the Toronto media been a reliable source for anything other than the Leafs. I would like to see the criteria for that stat.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The bar is so low for Campbell that him simply not totally imploding and costing us the game single handedly is considered a good night. It's honestly frustrating hearing people trying hard to dress this up as a good game, it wasn't.

What I saw was a goalie that still doesn't have a clue what he's doing that had 3 stoppable pucks all go by him. The amazing highlight reel saves that everyone gets excited about are more often than not generated by Campbell making a mistake earlier that he has to scramble to recover from. Literally anything from above the hash marks and anything that goes East-West is an adventure for him and if a save is made it's more often luck than not. He often doesn't appear to track the puck to the net even when one hits him for a save.

Absolutely. Praising his game is putting lipstick on a pig. Sure the Oilers were nonchalant and sloppy around the net as well. It can be both things not one or the other.

It’s been an abysmal signing. One that could cost the Oilers a legit shot at a cup for the foreseeable future as we have a rookie back up starting in the most important position of the game for the playoffs.

Frustrating doesn’t even begin to describe what a massive failure this signing is. It’s exponentially worse than the Lucic signing.

Reactions: frag2

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You just can't help but contrast last night's games... The Avs went into Anaheim and easily beat the piss out of them.

We go into Arizona and despite having control of the game have to scramble because third period leads are kryptonite for this team.

The team keeps winning but playing this way their playoff run is going to be short.
You do know that Arizona is a lot better than Anaheim and that Arizona almost beat Colorado prior to the Oilers game, right? Or maybe not?

trick91

Jun 7, 2012

Avs had to use a shootout the last game they played the Coyotes. And it was a 4-3 final. So we allowed one more goal than the great Avs.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They dont have to be Boston or Carolina but they do need to clean things up and be more consistent defensively.
I don't disagree and they've been leaky the last several games but I also don't think they've been as bad defensively, in general, as some posters make them out to be. With even average goaltending from Campbell this season, they're sitting on top of the conference. That's been their biggest achilles heel this season over the entirety of the season, Jack Campbell.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
You do know that Arizona is a lot better than Anaheim and that Arizona almost beat Colorado prior to the Oilers game, right? Or maybe not?
Yeah this is also a team we hung 8 on earlier in the season. I mean we barely scraped by the Sharks, the last place team in the league, and we lost both games to Columbus, and....

Every single game is a struggle for this team no matter who their opponent is. You go into the third period against most teams and you shouldn't have to scramble just to win.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018

Zzz...

Campbell and Skinner need to find another gear here. Even Toronto media is saying our defense has been fine if not good.

This can’t be right. I heard that we were “meatballs” for complaining about Campbell

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Absolutely. Praising his game is putting lipstick on a pig. Sure the Oilers were nonchalant and sloppy around the net as well. It can be both things not one or the other.

It’s been an abysmal signing. One that could cost the Oilers a legit shot at a cup for the foreseeable future as we have a rookie back up starting in the most important position of the game for the playoffs.

Frustrating doesn’t even begin to describe what a massive failure this signing is. It’s exponentially worse than the Lucic signing.
Without the league's best offense we probably aren't even in a playoff spot. Campbell has been probably the most disastrous signing in this team's history and there are certainly a lot of contenders for that title.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I wouldn't go that far, Campbell's deal can at least be bought out without crippling the franchise.

However, I hate to say I'm right in this case, but I basically called this outcome last year when we refused to call up Skinner at any point when Smith and Koskinen were struggling. Knew in my core that were were going to put our finger in the electrical socket again and sign a goalie for too much money that isn't as good as the one we have that's much, much cheaper. Some Skinner games down the stretch might have made the management team more comfortable signing a cheaper goalie as a 1A/B and saved us from this mess.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't disagree and they've been leaky the last several games but I also don't think they've been as bad defensively, in general, as some posters make them out to be. With even average goaltending from Campbell this season, they're sitting on top of the conference. That's been their biggest achilles heel this season over the entirety of the season, Jack Campbell.
Thats a fair point.
It would be interesting to see what their record would be with a healthy Smith as opposed to Campbell.

Its also possible that the team is affected by having Campbell in net.
I mean its tough enough as a fan to feel comfortable/ confident with him in net....I cant imagine how it feels as a player. They could be trying to do too much to try and compensate.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I wouldn't go that far, Campbell's deal can at least be bought out without crippling the franchise.

However, I hate to say I'm right in this case, but I basically called this outcome last year when we refused to call up Skinner at any point when Smith and Koskinen were struggling. Knew in my core that were were going to put our finger in the electrical socket again and sign a goalie for too much money that isn't as good as the one we have that's much, much cheaper. Some Skinner games down the stretch might have made the management team more comfortable signing a cheaper goalie as a 1A/B.

Agree that the Oilers dropped the ball last year with Skinner.

Under the flat cap we’re in now this is a crippling blow as at least with Lucic we could engineer a trade and future buy out. And given it’s the most important position in the game, I think it’s far worse than the Lucic signing. Just my thoughts anyway but I see your point as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yeah this is also a team we hung 8 on earlier in the season. I mean we barely scraped by the Sharks, the last place team in the league, and we lost both games to Columbus, and....

Every single game is a struggle for this team no matter who their opponent is. You go into the third period against most teams and you shouldn't have to scramble just to win.
The majority of the games in the NHL are like that, these are all professional athletes so there's usually not an "easy" game on the schedule.

Yet despite all these "struggles", the Oilers have the 3rd best goal differential in the west and the 2nd best record in the entire league since Christmas.
Yes not all games have been picassos and they could stand to tighten things up but, overall, the Oilers have been one of the best teams in the league in the New Year. The doom and gloom from some is a bit much if you ask me.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The majority of the games in the NHL are like that, these are all professional athletes so there's usually not an "easy" game on the schedule.

Yet despite all these "struggles", the Oilers have the 3rd best goal differential in the west and the 2nd best record in the entire league since Christmas.
Yes not all games have been picassos and they could stand to tighten things up but, overall, the Oilers have been one of the best teams in the league in the New Year. The doom and gloom from some is a bit much if you ask me.
Thank you

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

You’re aware that the avs did the exact same thing against the coyotes right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad