Post-Game Talk: A undeserting win

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I almost wanted to argue with you... but Anaheim's rocking a -112 goal differential, compared to Arizona's -51. That almost has to be historical, the Eakins effect on display.
Not only that but Arizona was something like 6-0-2 going into last night and are an excellent home team. I actually give their coaching staff a lot of credit for getting them to buy in, tough team to play against with nothing to lose.

djbard99

Feb 11, 2023
The majority of the games in the NHL are like that, these are all professional athletes so there's usually not an "easy" game on the schedule.

Yet despite all these "struggles", the Oilers have the 3rd best goal differential in the west and the 2nd best record in the entire league since Christmas.
Yes not all games have been picassos and they could stand to tighten things up but, overall, the Oilers have been one of the best teams in the league in the New Year. The doom and gloom from some is a bit much if you ask me.
It’s because our defensive lapses are horrible but hard to argue against the record.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not only that but Arizona was something like 6-0-2 going into last night and are an excellent home team. I actually give their coaching staff a lot of credit for getting them to buy in, tough team to play against with nothing to lose.
Management probably not happy. Tourigny had one job this year and he failed at it :laugh:

Reactions: ZJuice

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The majority of the games in the NHL are like that, these are all professional athletes so there's usually not an "easy" game on the schedule.

Yet despite all these "struggles", the Oilers have the 3rd best goal differential in the west and the 2nd best record in the entire league since Christmas.
Yes not all games have been picassos and they could stand to tighten things up but, overall, the Oilers have been one of the best teams in the league in the New Year. The doom and gloom from some is a bit much if you ask me.
Every game against a bad team has to be a dominating win. None of the contenders drop games or have close games to bad teams.

Every game against good teams has to be perfect or the team just shows they'll be outclassed in the playoffs.

Wins don't actually matter. How you win is what matters, because a win isn't just a win.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

haha.

Not directed at me I know, but we can share this laugh together. But all the bolded really reveals is that most of us probably have some times when we are either up or down with what is currently occurring. Mostly I feel positive about the team, or choose to.

The bigger reality in 2023 is that many of have times where life can be really up and down and buffeted by tons of uncertainty which impacts ones world view, disposition, everything. Overthinking It I realize. ;)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Every game against a bad team has to be a dominating win. None of the contenders drop games or have close games to bad teams.

Every game against good teams has to be perfect or the team just shows they'll be outclassed in the playoffs.

Wins don't actually matter. How you win is what matters, because a win isn't just a win.

A lot of good teams have struggled with Arizona. Colorado especially has been quite bad against Arizona. 1 loss, 1 OT win, 1 SO win and 1 win by 2 goals.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I had preassumed Eakins job was to get the #1 pick in the Bedard Derby. he seems good at it.

Not completely joking either. While Eakins was here Lowes job description contained something like "high draft procurement" It was actually stated.
I think that's part of it, and I think (somehow after the treatment of Yakupov) he's "good" with the kids, to not destroy them too much while the team is absolute garbage. So their might be value to the Ducks there. But I expect him to get fired at the end of the year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think that's part of it, and I think (somehow after the treatment of Yakupov) he's "good" with the kids, to not destroy them too much while the team is absolute garbage. So their might be value to the Ducks there. But I expect him to get fired at the end of the year.
The Eakins value is in accruing top picks. Not much else imo.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

They do all the time.

Jackets beat the Stars 4-1 Feb 18, Beat the Pens 5-4 in OT Mar 7, Beat the Isles 5-4 in OT Mar 24. Lost 4-2 to Sea Mar 1

Habs - Lost games 3-2 to the Kings, 4-3 to the Knights & 4-3 in OT/SO to the Canes and Rangers all to start March. Beat Tampa 3-2 Mar 21 and Beat NJ 5-2 Feb 21

Sharks - Lost 3-2 in OT to the Jets Mar 6, 2-1 OT loss to Sea Mar 16, lost 2-1 to Vegas Feb 16, beat Tampa 4-3 in OT Feb 7

Hawks (who suck), beat the Stars 4-3 Feb 22, Beat Vegas 3-2 in OT Feb 21, Beat the Leafs 5-3 Feb 19, lost 3-1 to Min Mar 25

Ducks (who suck), lost 3-2 to the Jets Mar 23, Beat the Canes 3-2 Feb 25, lost to the Stars 3-2 in OT Feb 6

So it happens all the f***ing time actually.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

This whole post is such bs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They do all the time.

Jackets beat the Stars 4-1 Feb 18, Beat the Pens 5-4 in OT Mar 7, Beat the Isles 5-4 in OT Mar 24. Lost 4-2 to Sea Mar 1

Habs - Lost games 3-2 to the Kings, 4-3 to the Knights & 4-3 in OT/SO to the Canes and Rangers all to start March. Beat Tampa 3-2 Mar 21 and Beat NJ 5-2 Feb 21

Sharks - Lost 3-2 in OT to the Jets Mar 6, 2-1 OT loss to Sea Mar 16, lost 2-1 to Vegas Feb 16, beat Tampa 4-3 in OT Feb 7

Hawks (who suck), beat the Stars 4-3 Feb 22, Beat Vegas 3-2 in OT Feb 21, Beat the Leafs 5-3 Feb 19, lost 3-1 to Min Mar 25

Ducks (who suck), lost 3-2 to the Jets Mar 23, Beat the Canes 3-2 Feb 25, lost to the Stars 3-2 in OT Feb 6

So it happens all the f***ing time actually.
I saw this after I looked up the Yotes. Not only did they beat good teams in back to back games, which everyone always talks about how hard the second game is. They did so after playing 3 games in 4 nights that gets talked about as being a tough schedule.

On paper what would people had said before those 3 games? Be lucky to get 1 point?

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Yeah there are no "easy" games but the constant blowing of leads is an issue. The defense/goaltending are still very much question marks. The likes of the Knights and Kings aren't going to allow you to score at will.

Simply put, when you're up by multiple goals going into the final period the game shouldn't be in constant doubt.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Well the Oilers are giving up 3.37 GA/G, I have a hard time believing we’ll be putting up the 4GF/G we’ll need to win multiple series with no improvement on that 3.37 number.
I have trouble believing we can outscore our way to a cup also, but that's a different conversation than VGK/WPG holding us to 2.8 GF per game. We scored a touchdown on WPG not that long ago and the follow up game we lost to them was a pretty easy win if Campbell didn't let it 2 floaters from the blueline.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Campbell doesn't get much defense here, and probably shouldn't, but rebound control is going to suffer with lack of starts and its hard to have that feel of the puck when you're hardly playing. Yeah I realize Campbell not getting many starts is deserved but just saying its predictable that a goalie coming in cold will struggle with feeling pucks and harnessing them or rebound control. That said knowing that you defend front of net better as a club which certainly hasn't been happening.

But overall the bigger concern is that over several games we are not separating even from non playoff clubs. We're in a battle every night tiring our star players and look at Leon again last night having to give blood for the team to just eke out a win against Arizona. He's leaving it all on the ice. At least McD is getting a rest...
Rebound control shouldn't suffer that much, it's majority based on positioning. Maybe he will have a little more trouble tracking the puck, but it's not like a goalie should have to rebuild their puck tracking abilities anytime they take 4-5 games off. The MO on Campbell is that he over sells the first shot, which is fine, if you can get a hold of the puck. As soon as the puck pinballs he's swimming because his positioning is all about the first save and first angle, he gives himself no lateral second chance and ends up star fishing.

Our D is way too soft in front of the crease and at tying up sticks or people, so that type of goaltending just doesn't work here. Skinner is significantly better at positioning himself for 2nd and 3rd chances and I find I don't have to close my eyes as soon as I see the puck starting to bounce.

We aren't separating because the other team either throws garbage at the net and deflects it in, or the garbage falls beside them and they get easy tap ins. If we had competent rebound control and competent ability to clean up shit in front of the net, we would separate pretty easily. Our issue is we have to work 3x harder to score than the other team has to work to score on us, that's what D comes down too, work ethic. We have too much puck watching and floating in the D zone and it's not just the D.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
And yet they still can't gain any ground. If anything, they've lost some ground in the last couple weeks.
True but they can only do so much. The damn Kings and Vegas keep winning at the same rate. Maybe someone could pull a tonya Harding on a few of the players on the kings and Vegas? :sarcasm:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
And yet they still can't gain any ground. If anything, they've lost some ground in the last couple weeks.
I don't know if that is true. While we didn't gain much if any on LA and Vegas, we did overtake Seattle and then put a comfortable gap between us and the other teams either in the wild card or fighting for the wild card.

Not everyone can separate themselves in the standings like the Nucks did in the fight for Bedard :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: WaitingForUser

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
You just can't help but contrast last night's games... The Avs went into Anaheim and easily beat the piss out of them.

We go into Arizona and despite having control of the game have to scramble because third period leads are kryptonite for this team.

The team keeps winning but playing this way their playoff run is going to be short.
You do know the avs only beat AZ in a shoot out the night before right???

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
True but they can only do so much. The damn Kings and Vegas keep winning at the same rate. Maybe someone could pull a tonya Harding on a few of the players on the kings and Vegas? :sarcasm:
I understand that and agree with it. My original response and point was to the comment by the poster, saying anyone that has a playoff spot basically clinched is coasting.

I don't know if that is true. While we didn't gain much if any on LA and Vegas, we did overtake Seattle and then put a comfortable gap between us and the other teams either in the wild card or fighting for the wild card.

Not everyone can separate themselves in the standings like the Nucks did in the fight for Bedard :laugh:
I was referring to LA and Vegas though.

You do know the avs only beat AZ in a shoot out the night before right???
Arizona has been giving teams fits for the last while. But the Avs have handed out more than a few beatings of other teams in March. And a few of them have been without Makar.

Reactions: joestevens29

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yet the Oilers are right behind them in the division race despite those teams winning just about every game for the last 3 weeks or so now?

I'm very confident that the efforts we've seen against Arizona, San Jose and... Arizona in the last several games is not indicative of the effort we'll see in the playoffs. Whether or not that translates to series wins is another question but I'm not going to say after a game weeks before the playoffs that the Oilers are going to get trounced in the playoffs because they cruised against some bottom feeders. I've seen enough of a sample size against contenders to know that this team has an "on" switch against those teams that they can push when they feel like it, much like the other contenders when they get challenged against another top contender.

What I'm most worried about is the goaltending but I'm not overly concerned that what we saw last night will be the norm in the playoffs.
There's also an unfortunate reality that the Oilers are never going to be a tight defensive team. They'll show it at times but it's just not the way they're wired so there are going to be adventures at both ends of the ice particularly when Ekholm is off the ice.
So you're in agreement with my response to your earlier statement not being entirely true, "The regular season just doesn't mean much for perennial playoff teams once they lock into a playoff spot."

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I understand that and agree with it. My original response and point was to the comment by the poster, saying anyone that has a playoff spot basically clinched is coasting.

I was referring to LA and Vegas though.

Arizona has been giving teams fits for the last while. But the Avs have handed out more than a few beatings of other teams in March. And a few of them have been without Makar.
So I take it you are not volunteering to be our Tonya Harding then? :laugh:

Boston just finished losing to the Wings and the Hawks. Yes contenders do lose to bad teams on occasion

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad