A two part question about Parise, Michalek and Vanek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
David Puddy said:
Are you seriously questioning David Conte as a scout? You have got to be kidding me, right? Maybe that was you stating that Gretzky wasn't as good as he was.

The Devils often pick in the bottom third of the draft. The fact that the team is still able to develop quality players through its own system is a tribute to Mr. Conte.

How true is this!!! year after year, the Devils are choosing in the 22 - 30 range, and while some drafts are more top heavy than others he finds the gems. They always seem to move up just enough to snag a great player who fell off other teams wish lists for various reasons. In the case of Parise, many mock drafts had him going much sooner, but just like Marek Schwarz falling to 17 in the '04 draft, things just happen on draft day. Do I like Vanek? Yes. Do I think he will be a skilled player in the NHL? Yes! Is he head and shoulders above Parise, just taking into account where they were drafted? NO WAY! This kid has excelled at every level, and with some experience I feel he will continue that trend in the NHL aswell. Vanek has the tools to be a force, but you can't teach desire and on-ice vision. Small players are always looked as risky picks, but I think that with Sullivan, and St. Louis, proving everyone wrong so far, that Parise will open some eyes and make most if not all of the teams that past on him very sorry that they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad