Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
How many 3rd line centers put up 30g and 60pts?
Zero.
Those are 1C stats, homes.

Edit: Yikes. I see you're getting corrected left, right and centre! Take notes!
How many teams go out and upgrade their center depth with a true 1 center if they think they already have a 1 and a 1b center and nylander who wants to play center.. .when they they need lots more important pieces. Can't play 4 guys 20 minutes each.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
How many teams go out and upgrade their center depth with a true 1 center if they think they already have a 1 and a 1b center and nylander who wants to play center.. .when they they need lots more important pieces. Can't play 4 guys 20 minutes each.
Start with the list of Teams that spoke to Tavares, then add the ones he didn't grant an audience to.
Nylander isn't a center.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Kadri is not a first line center, good lord the Toronto hype train never sleeps. On a playoff team he's second line, on a good playoff team he's third line. Why do you think your team no longer needs him?

On Winnipeg last season he would have been the third line center, on Washington he would have been the third line center, on Pittsburgh he would have been the third line center, on Tampa he would arguably be second line center but I could see third line, on Vegas this year he would be third line, I could go on and on.

I think you're confusing a prior lack of center depth in Toronto with being the standard across the league.
Nah you are actually the one that is confused if you think those teams depth is the standard across the league. He might slot down the lineup on extremely strong teams but that doesn't change the fact that calling him a 3c just kind of exposes you really.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Kadri is not a player that generates much enthusiasm and excitement around the league.

You'd be lucky to land Trouba for him.

Kadri is untouchable anyways, no way the Leafs consider dealing him for Trouba.

Glad to see he's still criminally underrated leaguewide though.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
But he cant sign an extension for at least 6 months because of the arbitrators ruling....
this guy that can arbitrate/ take a qualifying offer right to UFA
and now he is gonna want more than 7

while i dont mind it because the leafs need a guy like this, the leafs take all the risk while the the
Jets get a 30g C on an absolute sweetheart deal
Because agents and teams never talk before they are allowed? You know the reason they allow the pre July 1 discussions is because everyone was doing it anyway. Like magic players and teams worked out contracts one minute after free agency opened.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Kadri is not a first line center, good lord the Toronto hype train never sleeps. On a playoff team he's second line, on a good playoff team he's third line. Why do you think your team no longer needs him?

On Winnipeg last season he would have been the third line center, on Washington he would have been the third line center, on Pittsburgh he would have been the third line center, on Tampa he would arguably be second line center but I could see third line, on Vegas this year he would be third line, I could go on and on.

I think you're confusing a prior lack of center depth in Toronto with being the standard across the league.

Good post

Reactions: Flyerfan52

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Is there an actual reason why a 30 goal centre on a below market value contract "wouldn't generate much enthusiasm"? Because I feel like that isn't even remotely true

Take Patch as an outside exemple, how do you feel about the guy? Meh is probably the answer.

While both players are damn good at what they're doing, they're not the ones that people get excited about.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Neutral fan.

Kadri is a legit 1B center. Also his wingers have been...

Leo Komarov
Connor Brown
Patrick Marleau
Mitch Marner (for a little under half a season)
Michael Grabner

Put him with 1st line talents consistently, he's a 65+ point player.

Add in all the other things he does (throws players off their game, draws penalties, solid defense, great cap-hit) he's EXTREMELY valuable.

He'd look great with Laine and Ehlers.
I dont think that is necessarily true... he'll have top matching lineup on his back constantly vs now, that they have to focus on other players

Playing Chara/Bergeron is a different thing than playing J. Karlsson/K. Miller you know

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Oh look, more idiotic shots taken at the Leafs. How lucky we all are to have your input.

Leafs have tried him as a 1st/2nd line centre for six years and what do they have to show for it? I don't think there's a GM out there that looks at him as a guy to build around. Now would be the best time to trade him because he's going to be a 3rd line centre now and his numbers will drop, guaranteed. But you're not getting a defenseman like Trouba for him

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Take Patch as an outside exemple, how do you feel about the guy? Meh is probably the answer.

While both players are damn good at what they're doing, they're not the ones that people get excited about.
No offence, but your comparison is shit. An older winger (that other than last season is an excellent offence producer) on his last year of contract compared to a younger center (with back to back 32 goal seasons and good 2 way) on a 4.5 mil contract with term?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Leafs have tried him as a 1st/2nd line centre for six years and what do they have to show for it? I don't think there's a GM out there that looks at him as a guy to build around. Now would be the best time to trade him because he's going to be a 3rd line centre now and his numbers will drop, guaranteed. But you're not getting a defenseman like Trouba for him
Again...stupid post. Oilers have McDavid/Drai/RNH at center and what do they have to show for it? Time to trade them?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think BOTH Kadri and MaxPac are seriously underrated around here due to situations and who they play for but I find Kadri infinitely more “exciting” moving forward; 2 years younger, locked up below market value for four more years, coming off back to back 32 goal seasons and a center who can play it both gritty and skilled. MaxPac will soon be on the wrong side of 30, is coming off a disaster 17-18 season and will be looking to cash in on his last big contract next summer.

I’m willing to bet age, recent performance, versatility and contract status get GMs and coaches more “excited” than just being a name that casual fans know.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Patches is a fairly one dimensional goal scoring winger. Kadri brings a lot more to a game is also signed long term and in the middle of his prime. If he was made available the bidding would get really high for him.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Assuming Trouba would change his mind and be willing to do an extension with Toronto, would this be something that both teams would contemplate?

Kadri is, at the moment, on one of the best contracts in the NHL - which creates a unique chance for Toronto to grab a quality RHD in return for him.

Change his mind? There's never been anything concrete out there stating he wouldn't be willing to sign with Toronto other than a lot of speculation.

As far as the OP is concerned, it's a solid base for a trade IMO. TO would likely need to add something, but it's not that far off.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Again...stupid post. Oilers have McDavid/Drai/RNH at center and what do they have to show for it? Time to trade them?

First of all. They actually won a playoff round. Second, if in six years that's all they have to show after six years together, then, yeah, it will be time to do something.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

The Leafs haven't "tried" Kadri as anything, it's just that he happened to be the best centre on the team for a few years. I was saying for years that when we had a better team around him his numbers would go up as opponents can no longer focus on him and that's exactly what happened. Pretty damn good numbers too considering he's been used to match up against the top lines around the league and he's been mostly doing so with bottom 6 wingers until he was finally given Marner and Marleau to play with.

Based on objective criteria, Kadri ranks somewhere in the 20-40 range among all centres in the NHL. If the fact that Matthews and Tavares now play on the same team makes you stick a "3rd line centre" label on him go right ahead, if you don't understand how meaningless such labels are that's your problem.

As far as getting Trouba for him, I guess you missed my earlier post. Do try to keep up with the conversation, thanks!

Reactions: DirkStraun

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
First of all. They actually won a playoff round. Second, if that's all they have to show after six years together, then, yeah, it will be time to do something.
Tell me, what did the Leafs roster look like 6 years ago? 5? 4? 3? You are blaming Kadri for a team with Bozak at 1C for not winning? Dion as 1D? Tank team 3 years ago?

Tell me, what do the Bruins have to show for the last 6 years of Chara...Bergeron....Pasta....Marchand?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

I absolutely hate Kadri, but to say he is a third line center on a good playoff team is disingenuous. Just because there are two or three teams where he would be on the third line doesn't make him a third line center.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I absolutely hate Kadri, but to say he is a third line center on a good playoff team is disingenuous. Just because there are two or three teams where he would be on the third line doesn't make him a third line center.

It's always nice too when people can put aside their personal biases and stay objective, well done! Kadri's one of my favourite players but I get it, I'd probably hate him too if he wasn't a Leaf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad