Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Kadri is 13th in Goal scoring for C so he's a 1st line C.
Galagher is 5th in Goal scoring for RW but isn't close to a 1st line R W.
Only on HF.
So what are you basing it on? Why are Kadri and Gallagher not first line players? Because a guy like Kadri gets tough minutes, draws penalties, scores goals etc. Nobody is saying hes in the same boat as Mcdavid or Crosby here.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I wish Kadei just for 1 season of his contract went to another city for one season so people could see his last 2 seasons under Babcock with Mathews makes him look better then he is. Much more like the player everyone offered in trades for years wanting him moved. 2B or 3C.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Assuming Trouba would change his mind and be willing to do an extension with Toronto, would this be something that both teams would contemplate?

Kadri is, at the moment, on one of the best contracts in the NHL - which creates a unique chance for Toronto to grab a quality RHD in return for him.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

If the Jets can't sign Trouba the Leafs won't be able to either. He probably sleeps in his USA jammies.

Nothing to see here.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Jets don't want to trade Trouba for Kadri, or at all.

Kadri is a core piece on the Leafs, while Trouba would only be a two-year rental.

Really. The Leafs should put Trouba on their own "no-trade list" because there's no upside in this.

The player wins every time.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Kadri is one of the best contracts in the NHL? He's a 2nd-3rd line center making 4.5 AAV, that's not bad, but that's barely under the market value.

This is basically one of those, "We have a spare part, we would like your crowned jewel for a guy we don't really need anymore." threads.

It would require substantially more than Kadri to land Trouba because assuming Trouba goes it wouldn't be for a rental.
How many 3rd line centers put up 30g and 60pts?
Zero.
Those are 1C stats, homes.

Edit: Yikes. I see you're getting corrected left, right and centre! Take notes!

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Do you actually have the metrics to back this up or are you just assuming he plays his minutes exclusively against other top lines because that's how we hockey!

Regarding what he brings to the table. One, if I'm shopping for a "top line center" I'm first off not giving a flying **** if he fights. Second, his point total puts him at 78th in the league, was there a team in the East that made the playoffs last year with first line center producing under 60 points in 80GP? Yeah, they're called rookies, Pierre Luc Dubois and Nico Hischier are the only guys that were top line centers with comparable stats.
I am far from a Leafs fan by any stretch but what they are saying about Kadri has been pretty much accurate. He's taken tremendous steps forward in his game over the last few years.

If you want direct evidence of how he is deployed defensively you can look here.

PuckIQ | Player Search

This site tracked time on the ice vs elite players. . Kadri was third amongst centers (Granlund played mostly with Koivu) behind Kesler and Koivu. Since I live in the Toronto area I see a fair bit of the Leafs by osmosis and these stats pretty much match the eye test.

He's not a clear top line center but he could be a very good asset to a playoff team playing a role similar to a guy like Kesler. His defense is not as good as some of the Leaf fans might say but it is a lot better than most might think and he can score goals in lots of ways.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri is one of the best contracts in the NHL? He's a 2nd-3rd line center making 4.5 AAV, that's not bad, but that's barely under the market value.

This is basically one of those, "We have a spare part, we would like your crowned jewel for a guy we don't really need anymore." threads.

It would require substantially more than Kadri to land Trouba because assuming Trouba goes it wouldn't be for a rental.

Good grief. It seems that the better the Maple Leafs get, the more people who haven't got a clue about hockey start taking shots at them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Neutral fan.

Kadri is a legit 1B center. Also his wingers have been...

Leo Komarov
Connor Brown
Patrick Marleau
Mitch Marner (for a little under half a season)
Michael Grabner

Put him with 1st line talents consistently, he's a 65+ point player.

Add in all the other things he does (throws players off their game, draws penalties, solid defense, great cap-hit) he's EXTREMELY valuable.

He'd look great with Laine and Ehlers.
Your honesty is appreciated.

Leafs wouldn't be looking to move Kadri anyway, center depth is too important.
IMO, the chosen one for a defensive upgrade is Nylander.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Why would Winnipeg do this trade, Kadri is not filling a need for the Jets. They have Roslovic who can fill the 2nd line center need, or they can move Wheeler to fill the 2nd line center, move Laine up with Schiefele, and Roslovic betweem Ehlers/Roslovic. If Chevy trades Trouba, he'd like a defenseman same age Two Way defenseman in return

Reactions: Snowman

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m another neutral who thinks Kadri is definitely underrated at this point and a significant upgrade on Little who is not the player he once was but there’s no need for the Jets to rush into a Trouba deal at this point. See if Little rebounds or Roslovic steps up and then assess the situation. If by winter the center situation is a bit messy, Trouba is disgruntled and Niku and Poolman have stepped up on the blueline - Kadri might very well be an interesting piece . But I think you let things play out unless somebody right now is willing to pay through the nose and as good as Kadri is, for a blueline stud like Trouba, I don’t think that qualifies as an overwhelming offer.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Only in LeafLand is Kadri a 1st line C.:laugh:

I agree with this statement. I'm a Leaf fans and I think Kadri is a great player. But he's not a "#1C" on most NHL teams, and we should all know that. Jesus.

He's a good #2C on just about any team in the NHL and he's a #3C on Toronto, because of their incredible Centre depth right now. There's nothing at all wrong with being a consistent 30-goal scoring, #2C. That's a very valuable guy.

As for Kadri for Trouba.........who knows? From the Leaf's perspective, I'd do it. If I was Winnipeg, I might want a tad more. But it's not an insane proposal, like many on this site. It's within the realms of possibility.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kadri is not being moved unless the deal is too good to refuse.
I for one would like to see the team with the depth of Matthews/Tavares/Kadri before we do anything.
We don't have to trade Kadri at all.
Certainly not before this team has even hit the ice together.

Trouba seems to be taking 1 or 2 year deals. It seems like UFA is on his mind.
I can't say for sure, but I find it strange he hasn't been locked up for 6 + years like so many others. That's Winnipeg's issue. Does Trouba even want to play and stay in Toronto? Probably not, so not interested.

In the meantime, we can let our young guys develop. Dermott and Liljegren. Plus we still have our 1st round picks to draft D. How did Winnipeg get Trouba? How did Boston get McAvoy? Kadri has 4 years left on his deal. When we get down to the last year, then we can figure it out. As for today, we have the luxury of not doing anything. It's been a decade (and more) that the Leafs have had that luxury. We start the season tomorrow, I'm fine with what we have. More than fine.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
If Kadri is your first or second line centre, then you're getting bounced in the first round, at best. Sorry, history proves it.

Reactions: mad4comp

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’m another neutral who thinks Kadri is definitely underrated at this point and a significant upgrade on Little who is not the player he once was but there’s no need for the Jets to rush into a Trouba deal at this point. See if Little rebounds or Roslovic steps up and then assess the situation. If by winter the center situation is a bit messy, Trouba is disgruntled and Niku and Poolman have stepped up on the blueline - Kadri might very well be an interesting piece . But I think you let things play out unless somebody right now is willing to pay through the nose and as good as Kadri is, for a blueline stud like Trouba, I don’t think that qualifies as an overwhelming offer.

Yeah Kadri and Trouba are both very good players but it's a pretty bad proposal for several reasons:

Leafs would have no interest in this deal unless Trouba was extended at a decent price.

If Trouba was extended at a decent price, it would take more than Kadri to pry him loose.

The Leafs have amazing top 3 centres but no depth beyond that so not looking to trade Kadri to begin with.

Last edited:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Kadri is not a first line center, good lord the Toronto hype train never sleeps. On a playoff team he's second line, on a good playoff team he's third line. Why do you think your team no longer needs him?

On Winnipeg last season he would have been the third line center, on Washington he would have been the third line center, on Pittsburgh he would have been the third line center, on Tampa he would arguably be second line center but I could see third line, on Vegas this year he would be third line, I could go on and on.

I think you're confusing a prior lack of center depth in Toronto with being the standard across the league.
Our team DOES need him. We just have bigger concerns elsewhere. You keep saying his contract is fair value when you just paid Wilson an absolutely ridiculous deal. If the going rate for wilson is 5+ mill rest assured the going rate for a 30 goal centre is a lot higher. So yes, he is on a sweetheart contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad