Proposal: A trade around Kadri and Trouba

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Kadri is not a first line center, good lord the Toronto hype train never sleeps. On a playoff team he's second line, on a good playoff team he's third line. Why do you think your team no longer needs him?

On Winnipeg last season he would have been the third line center, on Washington he would have been the third line center, on Pittsburgh he would have been the third line center, on Tampa he would arguably be second line center but I could see third line, on Vegas this year he would be third line, I could go on and on.

I think you're confusing a prior lack of center depth in Toronto with being the standard across the league.

Please show me how many 3rd line centres have had back to back 30 goal years....I’ll wait. Your statement is laughable

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
He's not a spare part in Toronto? Why would the Leafs then trade a "first line center" that they can plug away on the third line.

Simply because you can put him on awful teams and he'd be a first liner doesn't make him a "first line center". You're trying to discard literally all of the good teams in the league by saying "well maybe he wouldn't be a first liner on those teams." Yeah... he can probably play first line on the Saskatoon Blades, that's not an endorsement of him being a first liner.

Find me a playoff team from last year that isn't rolling with their first round pick in their 1C that would actually use him as a first line center.

So you’re telling me that before the start of the season that Kadri wouldn’t have been the Knights first line centre? Laughable. Now that some of them excelled they are legit first line players...did you have Karlsson as a legit first liner after the expansion draft? Haha.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Please show me how many 3rd line centres have had back to back 30 goal years....I’ll wait. Your statement is laughable
So you’re saying that Kadri was your 3rd line center last year or are you assuming that Kadri’s production will be the same with reduced minutes and assuming he no longer plays with Marner?
Yes, but how long do teams (in this cap era) keep their windows for winning Cups open?
Well it’ll throw a nice wrench into the Leaf’s plans of re-signing Matthews, Marner, Gardiner, etc next summer. You’d be adding $3.1m in that trade.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So you’re telling me that before the start of the season that Kadri wouldn’t have been the Knights first line centre? Laughable. Now that some of them excelled they are legit first line players...did you have Karlsson as a legit first liner after the expansion draft? Haha.

1. Why does the perceived depth perception of VGK become at all relevant in where Kadri would have actually fallen into their line up?

Rick DiPietro wasn't a better goalie than Henrik Lundqvist despite their respected draft positions. The perception of who a player is makes for a terrible argument. It seems like your argument is all slanted towards before they stepped onto the ice, which to me is admitting that Kadri is over hyped by the Toronto media

2. I'll do you one better, I literally went through every team in the league and placed him into their lineup, it's earlier in the thread. The metric of "back to back 30 G" seasons isn't really designed for making comparisons. By its nature points isn't a transitive stat, if Kadri is playing 2nd line minutes then yes... he will have hopefully better stats than all of the 3rd line centers in the league, that in itself doesn't make him a 2nd line center.

3. I want to thank the Jackwagon that bumped this thread after it was dormant for a month. I love signing into HFBoards and being bombarded by notifications of Leafs fans quoting my posts from the first page and not reading further in the thread. It's great/sarcasm

Reactions: pmwlker and Snowman

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

Please show me how many "3rd line centers" play first unit PP

I think with the leafs last year it probably was more a case of 2.5a and 2.5b centers(with Kadri being the a)

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Please show me how many "3rd line centers" play first unit PP

I think with the leafs last year it probably was more a case of 2.5a and 2.5b centers(with Kadri being the a)

Is your rationale that Matthews is the C, based on PP time?

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
So you’re saying that Kadri was your 3rd line center last year or are you assuming that Kadri’s production will be the same with reduced minutes and assuming he no longer plays with Marner?.

See if you actually watched the Leafs day in and out you would know that the Leafs top two lines most of the year were set up :

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner

Kadri usually played with Marleau and Komarov...his increased production from the last two years has little to do with playing with Mitch Marner. He essentially hit back to back 30 goal years playing 3rd line minutes but he wasn’t the 3rd best centre on the team last year.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So that’s my point...calling Kadri a 3rd line centre talent wise is laughable.

Guess I should have read the entire conversation instead of jumping on one post(I thought your point was Kadri was a 3rd line center that got 30+ goals). lol

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I can understand how fanbases look at their players and rank them.

but to think that a kadri / trouba trade is in the realm of possibility is laughable.

as a team need, the leafs really need a player like trouba. they would have a true defence first defencman.

but to think that kadri would be anything more than a fourth line centre for the jets is hilarious.

mr lowry is the shut down centre teams want.

kadri would be in the locker room scrubbing jocks

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
My point is you need to factor in first unit PP time to the amount of goals Kadri got
12 of his 32 goals were on the PP. Lets put this into context; Ovechkin put up 33 goals in 16/17. 17 of those were on the PP. A significant percentage of OV's career goals are on the PP. I guess you should hold those against him. I can factor in PP time all you want, the fact is the greatest goal scorer of his generation relies heavily on the PP. In fact, he plays almost the entire PP at times. How about Laine? Last year he finished 2nd with 44 goals. 20 came on the PP. Good players make a living by producing on the PP. Go back and find another excuse to dismiss Kadris goal totals.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I can understand how fanbases look at their players and rank them.

but to think that a kadri / trouba trade is in the realm of possibility is laughable.

as a team need, the leafs really need a player like trouba. they would have a true defence first defencman.

but to think that kadri would be anything more than a fourth line centre for the jets is hilarious.

mr lowry is the shut down centre teams want.

kadri would be in the locker room scrubbing jocks
Yikes. The amount of arrogance in such a short post is bordering on a frat boy on the lacrosse team.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
See if you actually watched the Leafs day in and out you would know that the Leafs top two lines most of the year were set up :

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-Bozak-Marner

Kadri usually played with Marleau and Komarov...his increased production from the last two years has little to do with playing with Mitch Marner. He essentially hit back to back 30 goal years playing 3rd line minutes but he wasn’t the 3rd best centre on the team last year.
3rd line minutes? Yeah, you think so? So that’s why Kadri had the second highest even strength time on ice per game after Matthews? Those 3rd line minutes? How about where he was #4 amongst leafs forward for total time on ice per game after Matthews, Hyman and Marleau? Those 3rd line minutes? Are Nylander and Marner playing 4th line minutes then? I mean, they played less than Kadri whom you state only played 3rd line minutes. Also, the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line had more frequency than the JVR-Bozak-Marner line per leftwinglock.

If you’re going to come off as all knowing maybe you should get your facts straight.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
12 of his 32 goals were on the PP. Lets put this into context; Ovechkin put up 33 goals in 16/17. 17 of those were on the PP. A significant percentage of OV's career goals are on the PP. I guess you should hold those against him. I can factor in PP time all you want, the fact is the greatest goal scorer of his generation relies heavily on the PP. In fact, he plays almost the entire PP at times. How about Laine? Last year he finished 2nd with 44 goals. 20 came on the PP. Good players make a living by producing on the PP. Go back and find another excuse to dismiss Kadris goal totals.

My post wasn't a knock at Kadri or his 32 goals it was a knock trying to pass him off as a 3rd line center who got 30+ goals(trying to put it in perspective that normal 3rd line centers don't get the PP time he does)

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
3rd line minutes? Yeah, you think so? So that’s why Kadri had the second highest even strength time on ice per game after Matthews? Those 3rd line minutes? How about where he was #4 amongst leafs forward for total time on ice per game after Matthews, Hyman and Marleau? Those 3rd line minutes? Are Nylander and Marner playing 4th line minutes then? I mean, they played less than Kadri whom you state only played 3rd line minutes. Also, the Marleau-Kadri-Marner line had more frequency than the JVR-Bozak-Marner line per leftwinglock.

So your saying that because Kadri has produced well over the last 2 years is based on his ice time not being 3rd line centre minutes but rather 2nd or 1st line centre minutes? Hell I'm happy with that. Il take 32 goals a year playing against other teams top lines(which is why he has high usage because other teams play their top lines the most instead of their 4th line lol) any day all day for 4.5 mil a year.

My post wasn't a knock at Kadri or his 32 goals it was a knock trying to pass him off as a 3rd line center who got 30+ goals(trying to put it in perspective that normal 3rd line centers don't get the PP time he does)

I agree with this.
Most teams 3rd line centres aren't close to the caliber that Kadri is so why would they play them on the pp when most teams 3rd line centres dont have the offensive flair Kadri has. The part people forget is Kadri draws the most penalties by far.. so if Kadri can score why not reward the guy who draws the penalties? Also he plays centre so that helps if another leafs centre gets kicked out of the draw we have a 2nd centre on the ice to take the face-off(all of this adds to his pp time). So yes i agree that kadri does get more pp time then the average 3c but there are so many variables in that statement and most of them benefit kadri(i.e. his position, his offensive upside, he draws the penalties, he's better than every teams 3c, he covers the other teams top players so he plays a lot, etc etc).

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Despite all the insults(some in jest,some not) the players being discussed are very good at what they do! Cannot be honestly disputed using stats or comparisons. Most any team would find room for either one,no doubt!
For me,I want to see the Leafs,or more specifically Babs decide which of his 3 amazing centermen he will use for nitely match-ups. One of them is gonna see 3rd line competition and I cannot wait to see it!
So,as good as Trouba is,I wouldn't trade for him this year.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Can’t quote your post but what I’m saying is this idea that Kadri played third line minutes and scored 30+ goals is false. He wasn’t playing third line minutes at all. He won’t be playing with the same players either this year. From that I will draw the conclusion his production will drop this year unless they stack the lines in the top 6.

Sick of the argument that he played third line minutes this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, but how long do teams (in this cap era) keep their windows for winning Cups open?
Pretty long, if you look at PIT. Nylander, Mathews, and Marner are no Crosby and Malkin, but they are a good start, and very young. JT isn't an old man. TML should always target Trouba before Buff, even though Buff can be more of an impact player(for or against).

I would offer up Kadri and Gardiner for Trouba and a prospect(WPG has a few good ones) TOR's time to shine is a couple of years from now, when TBL, WAS, and PIT are all aging out of competitiveness.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Kadri is a good 2nd line center.

But leaf fans saying he s a 1st line center are delusional.
Some stats point to it...not so delusional really. 2 years of 30 goal production is no joke,especially how he is deployed. I get that he isn't an all-star,but still better than a lot of centers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad